Start by marking “Before the Season Ends” as Want to Read:
Before the Season Ends

Before the Season Ends (Forsythe #1)

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  1,154 Ratings  ·  150 Reviews
In her debut novel of what she calls "spirited romance for the Jane Austen soul," author Linore Rose Burkard tells the intriguing story of Miss Ariana Forsythe, a young woman caught between her love for a man who doesn't share her faith and her resolution to marry only a fellow believer in Christ.

Trouble at home sends the young woman to her aunt's townhome in the fashionab
Published December 1st 2008 by Harvest House Publishers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Before the Season Ends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before the Season Ends

Jun 20, 2009 Kimberly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gentle-reads
*Waring Spoilers Ahead*

Before the Season Ends was an enjoyable read and it got much better as it went on but then it well, went downhill and made me mad.

I stayed up into the wee hours finishing this book, slept on it and now that I am awake again, I am still disappointed. This book held my attention and interest for so long and then I wanted to yell at it.

Ariana is sent to stay in London with her Aunt, for the season. Her Aunt being overly wealthy is a childless widow who wants to present her ni
Feb 25, 2014 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
I SO enjoyed this first book in the Forsythe trilogy, and am SO looking forward to book 2!
It's rare to find Christian regency novels, and sometimes -when you do- the spiritual aspects of the story seem shallow or nonexistent. Linore Burkard had a great way of bringing Christ into her story without being shallow, but also without seeming "preachy". I really appreciated that the Gospel was given clearly, and leaving no doubts that Burkard believes what she is writing.

I really enjoyed the style o
Dec 20, 2008 Wyndy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Review
It was a pleasant change to read a Regency romance without a lot of sexual tension and innuendos. Burkard has the era down pat and it was easy to visualize the scenes as well as sympathize with the heroine. I also found her characteristics true to a 19 year old rather than a wishy-washy attempt to provide the character with teen emotions that weren't of the time and adult emotions that were beyond her age as so many authors do with girls of that age in different time periods.

Ariane is
Oct 25, 2009 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Up to 3/4 of the way through the book I loved it- couldn't put it down. It was like a cute version of Jane Austen or Elizabeth Gaskell. I would have easily given it a 5 stars, but all of the sudden it turned born again christian on me and it irritated me. It's not the religion in of itself that bugged me. I just found the main character to be overly pious and judgmental. If the book had ended when they had gotten engaged it would have been so much better.
For the most part, I did enjoy the story. I didn't care too much for the writing style, but I like to think it was because this is the author's debut book. I think her writing will improve. So, I do believe I will go looking for the rest of the books in this series...
Shirley Brosius
Jul 23, 2011 Shirley Brosius rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Linore Rose Burkard has written a book that entertains, educates and keeps you guessing until the last page. The story about a Christian girl interested in marriage and a family who wants to help her find a suitable partner takes off on an age-old theme: What happens when an innocent damsel meets an irascible man? Will she follow her head or her heart as she gets to know this flagrant unbeliever?

This is the kind of book that opens your eyes to what you don’t know. I learned much about society in
Mar 11, 2010 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
Delightful read!

The cover itself begs to be compared to Jane Austen and there's no missing the similarities. From the setting to the characters, there are parallels to be had--parallels that the Jane Austen fan will adore. Houses and dresses described in detail, heroine's to cherish, gentlemen aloof and worthy. There is much to be appreciated here.

There are also several differences. While Austen certainly didn't shy away from references to the church in her novels, Burkard has embraced its role
Dec 11, 2011 AMythicalBeast rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one in their right minds and definitely NOT to Austen fans
Shelves: reviewed-by-moi
I can't write an objective review for this book. I'm sure that the book deserves all the praise and high ratings it's got if it was meant to be strictly read by the 'Inspirational Christian Novels' community.

Its era details are well researched and well described, especially the clothes. But then the author gets down to the business of making the book 'inspirational' and what had promised to be a good read - not Jane Austen, but a maybe some shadow of Georgette Heyer - turned into an annoying tr
Jan 20, 2010 Phoebe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Phoebe by: Linore Rose Burkard
Feb 02, 2009 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Young and impressionable, Ariana Forsythe longs for marriage and to do God's will. When a most unsuitable suitor emerges and takes advantage of her naiveté, Ariana's parents see no other recourse than to pack her off to London for the season. Under the eager sponsorship of her wealthy aunt, Ariana is introduced to the cream of London society. There she must learn to navigate an intricate web of etiquette and expectations, where a word in the wrong ear can ruin a girl's reputation and marriage pr ...more
Jill Williamson
May 20, 2009 Jill Williamson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review by Jill Williamson

England, 1813. A time when a young lady’s life was all about finding the best husband. Country girl Ariana Forsythe’s parents do not approve of the man she has set her sights on and send her to London to live with her rich Aunt Bentley. Ariana can hardly wait to see the city, a place filled with history, museums, and art. Aunt Bentley has different ideas of how Ariana will spend her time, however, and drags Ariana on countless shopping trips to prepare for her debut into
Loraine Alcorn
Feb 06, 2012 Loraine Alcorn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this awesome book on amazon in their top free 100 books list and Im soo happy I did. I have since bought the other 2 stories in this saga and cant wait till they come in.

I have read a lot of Christian fiction and now exclusively read only books that are of this caliber. I cant tell you how great this story is.

Before the Season Ends by Linore Rose Burkard, Is a true gem of a story. Its very hard to find a Christian Romance that offers not only a great love story but is also filled in real

Deborha Mitchell
Oh what a ride! At the start of this book, I was thinking “How could she want to do that?” Do what? Well, you have to read the book to find out. As my reading progressed, I was grateful for the turn of events in Ariana’s life. I mean, her life wasn’t all roses and candy, but it was better than the alternative waiting for her back home. Importance of birth order, secrets, traps, mystery, intrigue, love and undying faith….this book has it all.
From the very first encounter between Ariana and Mr. Mo
Jennifer Gentry
Feb 13, 2010 Jennifer Gentry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-kindle
Ms. Burkard's writing style is being compared to Jane Austen in many of the reviews. I'm not sure I would necessarily go to that extreme, but I will say that I greatly enjoyed this book. Some have disliked Ariana's strong beliefs against being unequally yolked in a marriage, but I have to say that as a Christian I can wholeheartedly agree and sympathize with her beliefs. And as this book was *intended* for Christian readers, I think anyone reading it from that viewpoint would not find fault in i ...more
I've never read a book written by Jane Austen before. *Gasp* I know, it's criminal. I love regencies, however, so this story worked for me. (I'm not totally uncultured. I have watched Sense and Sensibility and other Austen stories on DVD). But since I've never read Austen I can't say how similar the writing styles are. At first the omniscient POV all the time was hard for me to follow, but then I allowed myself to be pulled into that era and all of it's vanity and the story came alive. I had dif ...more
Dec 22, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! I am relatively new to Christian historical fiction, and I wanted to try a regency, and I'm so glad I did. I know many have criticized Ariana's faith in this book, but that is WHY I loved this book. I love how she is constantly turning to God, praying and seeking His insight. As a person who came to Christ as an adult, I've always wondered what it would be like to have been raised by Christian parents and taught to "fully rely on God", and I feel like this gives me a glimpse an ...more
Katie W
I love the Regency period and especially love the "clean" stories. This one was definitely Christian as well and almost got a little too preachy toward the end.

Ariana's aunt offered to put the eldest daughter of her brother's into society, but the eldest, Alberta, was as good as engaged, so he sent his second daughter, Ariana. I loved the ins and outs of the season and enjoyed learning a little bit more of this time period. Phillip is a great character--feared by many; impatient with debutantes;
Sheri Salatin
Ariana Forsythe is determined to keep her faith in God and marry their local pastor. The problem comes when her parents forbid it! They so much don't want her marrying this man that they send her away to stay with her wealthy aunt in London.
Ariana finds her Aunt determined to give Ariana a proper taste of high society. She is also determined to find a husband for her niece and all before the season ends!
Dashing, scowling Philip Mornay wins Ariana's heart, but he does not have her faith. Will Ari
Spoiler Alert!!! I really loved this book. Ariana lives in the country with her parents and feels it's her calling to marry a man of the church. When the young rector gets relocated she resigns herself for marriage to the old rector, who would love nothing more than a young bride. Her family intervenes by sending her to spend the summer with her aunt in London, for cultural influence but the aunt see the pretty girl as an in for societal climb and is determine to find her a suitable husband. She ...more
Dec 19, 2014 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every year in Regency England there is a season among the privileged when the social calendar is full of parties and events, where young ladies wear their finest and hope to become betrothed by season's end. Ariana Forsythe never expected to be part of that high society scene. She has already accepted her fate to serve the Lord married to a rector with whom she is not in love in a small town far away for London. But God has other plans, and she is whisked away from her May/December betrothal by ...more
So many Christian fiction books throw in a few prayers, or talk about "God" now and then, or at the least talk about going to church. This book dealt with Christian issues of honesty, prayer, God's will and greatly, the struggle of being attracted to someone who probably doesn't share your same faith. I've read a lot of books where, even if a person is not a believer, the Christian still pursues a relationship with them. I'm always disappointed in the author for this.
But in this book, even thou
Sep 30, 2014 Kristen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
9/30/14 - I started reading this one last night (different cover) and realized I had read it already...the MC is really silly at first..I can't remember but I assume she gets better.

10/3/09 -This was a clean regency period book. I did think that the last quarter of the book was kind of slow and I found myself trying to hurry to get it over with. If I could have shortened it then it would have been 4 stars.
Apr 30, 2015 Emock rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh dear. I enjoyed the first half of the book, although I did not feel that the Paragon (Mr. Mornay) and Ariana had any chemistry. I also did not think their word sparring entertaining at all. I wanted to like Ariana, I really did BUT she was simply too flat and perfect. She is silly and immature. I would have liked to see more depth of characterization drawn out, especially in regards to Mr. Mornay's character and the unfortunate event with the young lady in his youth.
As stated, the first half
Nov 21, 2015 Deon rated it did not like it
A delightful, Regency read. Sweet and thought-provoking... it puts me a little in the mind of Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth (Pride and Prejudice), yet in a Christian view point. I am very happy to add Linore Rose Burkard to my list of regency authors to read by!
Aug 26, 2009 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
An Inspirational Regency Romance, Before the Season Ends is an truly enjoyable read. I liked her characters and the setting. There were some aspects that I didn't like as much, but overall, it was a great read, enjoyable and definitely recommendable.
Mar 06, 2009 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rarely read romance novels because they are just too smutty for my taste. I loved this one. It was clean and had a bit of religion in it! Too Cute! Can't wait for the sequel out next month.
Jennifer Fluegge
I loved this author's Christian version of a regency romance-felt it did justice to the genre. I have the next book in the series--it just came out..can't wait to read it!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 18, 2014 10:46AM
  • Ransome's Honor (The Ransome Trilogy, #1)
  • On Sparrow Hill
  • When All My Dreams Come True (Colorado Runaway, #1)
  • Highland Blessings (Highlands #1)
  • The Triumph of Grace (Grace in Africa, #3)
  • The Affectionate Adversary (Miss Pickworth Series #1)
  • Raven Saint (Charles Towne Belles, #3)
  • A Regency Holiday
  • Surrender the Wind
  • Moonlight Masquerade (London Encounters, #1)
  • A Measure of Mercy (Home to Blessing, #1)
  • A Necessary Deception  (The Daughters of Bainbridge House #1)
  • Embers of Love (Striking a Match, #1)
  • The Lady of Bolton Hill
  • Making Waves (Lake Manawa Summers #1)
  • Songbird Under a German Moon
  • The Vigilante's Bride
  • Surrender the Dawn (Surrender to Destiny, #3)
Linore Rose Burkard (a.k.a. L.R.Burkard) wrote a trilogy of genuine regency romances for the Christian market before there were any regencies for the Christian market. Her books opened up the genre in the CBA. She writes YA Suspense/Apocalyptic fiction as L.R. Burkard, not only to keep expanding boundaries for her readers, but to explore deeper themes. Between books, she homeschools her youngest ...more
More about Linore Rose Burkard...

Forsythe (3 books)