Start by marking “Tea and Sympathy” as Want to Read:
Tea and Sympathy

Tea and Sympathy

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  13 reviews
For nine males and two females. A coming of age story that takes place at a private boys academy.
Published 1953 by Random House (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Tea and Sympathy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tea and Sympathy

Amy Nicole
I'm trying to read more plays and get more educated in theatre, so this was a step towards that. I really liked the characters. I felt like everything tied in pretty well. It was interesting because the setting was only in about 3 rooms of a house and all of the "action" that occurred outside of the house had to be explained or mentioned when the characters came in. It made things interesting since the more 'intense' scenes happened outside of the setting.

I liked the ending though. I thought th...more
Gale
"TRIAL BY PREJUDICE"

Robert Anderson's 1953 drama in three acts proves a powerful indictment against macho prejudice, as well as a subtle warning to society to accept the "off-horse" with humane tolerance. Set in a boys' boarding school in New England the story unfolds in the home of a teacher (master), middle-aged Bill Reynolds, who revels in his residents' athletic prowess. Laura, his 24-year old bride, gradually realizes that he is not the same, vulnerable man whom she met and fell in love wit...more
Connie
Written in 1953, this play is about Tom Lee, an effeminate young man of eighteen at a New England boarding school. He is being bullied by the other boys, and his sexual orientation is being questioned after skinny dipping with a male teacher at the school. Laura, the wife of his housemaster, is very sensitive to Tom's problems. Her husband thinks she should back off and offer no more support than "tea and sympathy." She feels that Tom is being teased because he's a little different, a musician a...more
Vichy
Τσάι και συμπάθεια: Εσφαλμένη έκφραση έκτυπο (calque) εκ της αγγλικής tea and sympathy.
Στα ελληνικά πρόκειται για στοργή και προδέρμ, παρηγοριά στον άρρωστο ή πολύ απλά για καφέ και κουβεντούλα.
slang.gr
Ο συγγραφέας είναι γνωστός ως ο δραματουργός της μοναξιάς. Τσάι και συμπάθεια προσφέρουν οι σύζυγοι των καθηγητών ενός εσωτερικού σχολείου αρρένων στη Νέα Αγγλία τη δεκαετία του '50. Μια μοναχική νεαρή σύζυγος αναπτύσσει δεσμούς καρδιάς με ένα μοναχικό 18χρονο μαθητή, του οποίου του έχει "βγει το
Karla
I first read this play in college. I thought the plot looked interesting and wanted something good to read over the weekend. This play really stuck with me, I thought the characters were so authentic. I thought about them long after I finished the play. I always thought this would be a wonderful play to direct.
Daniel
A little dated now in some ways (it was published in 1953), this remains an excellent play about the dangers of being different, perceived or otherwise. There are humor, poignancy, and a bit of WHOA thrown in there too. Originally directed by Elia Kazan (!) and starring Deborah Kerr.
Talkingtowalls
read probably five years ago I remember really enjoying his treatement of the characters and portrayals of their interactions. A fairly decent film version was done with Deborah Kerr.
Kristin
I'm curious how this was received in the 50s. Anyone who took Stephen's Gay & Lesbian Drama class, I'd love to hear what you discussed in this one
Lina Zikas
It was very short, but every page was full of action. I liked it, and I can see why it was controversial for its time. But I liked it.
SJ
I really enjoyed reading this play. I look forward to seeing it performed someday.
Stephanie Frugis
Most definitely one of my favorites. I was seriously cheering at the end of the book
Elise
I hated this book. I think I hate this playwright's work.
Andrew
A heartbreaking tale. It is a must read.
Lauren Dew
Lauren Dew marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Michael Razzano
Michael Razzano marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Alasdair Ekpenyong
Alasdair Ekpenyong marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Galit
Galit marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Miranda
Miranda marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Izzy Olivia
Izzy Olivia marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Rachel
Rachel added it
Jul 01, 2014
Amanda Kruckenberg
Amanda Kruckenberg marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Politcaly correct in 2013? 1 1 Aug 19, 2013 01:02PM
Robert Anderson (born Robert Woodruff Anderson) was an American playwright, screenwriter, and theater producer.

He is best remembered as the author of Tea and Sympathy. The play made its Broadway debut in 1953 and was made into an MGM film in 1956; both starred Deborah Kerr and John Kerr.
More about Robert Woodruff Anderson...
I Never Sang for My Father You Know I Can't Hear You When the Water's Running. Solitaire & Double Solitaire After Getting Up and Going Home