Evidence! Citation & Analysis for the Family Historian

Evidence! Citation & Analysis for the Family Historian

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Every devoted genealogist is concerned with citations in their analysis for their genealogy. Accurate citations are necessary so that the evidence can be judged and if necessary allows for the research to be repeated. The author makes it easy to help genealogists (particularly the non-expert) to make sense out of citations and to improve their genealogy search. THIS BOOK I...more
Published July 24th 2011 by Genealogical Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1997)

Be the first to ask a question about Evidence! Citation & Analysis for the Family Historian

Jeremy
As I've worked on my family history from materials passed on from members of my family and collected from other databases, I have been frustrated by incorrect information and the lack of source annotations in the pedigrees I have. My latest disappointment was to find that one of my favorite ancestral lines, which passes through a 15th century Lord Mayor of London, probably does not belong to my family.

As I've been preparing to start the arduous work of checking the information I've inherited, I...more
Denise
A technical book that will constantly be a resource for me as I continue to work on becoming an accredited genealogist. I own this book and it's a good thing because I will constantly need to reference it!
Granny
Feb 02, 2008 Granny rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: researchers, genealogists.
Shelves: non-fiction
As a professional genealogist, this little book is always on my desk.
James Jeffrey
Must have for serious researchers.
I have been doing genealogy research for well over a decade, and I have to say that one of my biggest problems by far is my lackadaisical approach to citing sources. It's not that I don't think citing sources is important. It's extremely important. I just get sidetracked when I'm researching and don't always write down where I found a particular document or fact.

This book is a wonderful resource for people like me. Take this book with you on your library trips! If you use the information present...more
Cathy
Reading Jones's Mastering Genealogical Proof took some of the stuffing out of this book. Jones's book was much more recently released.
Tina Sansone
I use this book often as I cite sources on my research reports.
Tanya
This reference seems great for American sources, but I found many of my British references were left incompletely treated. Her 2009 publication, Evidence Explained is much more complete, and really makes this book obsolete.
Christine
I bought this book with a little dread, but knowing this is an area in my genealogy research that really needs improvement. It fortunately is not a long book, so was not TOO intimidating.
JP
If you only get one reference book about how to record family history, this is it. It's concise and handy as a constant reference.
Gwnhwyfer
While this book is an excellent resource for citing sources, I have one quibble with it: it's very American-centric.
Ernie Dawson
This book is not only great from genealogical documentational point of view but any research.
Andy Lawless
Published by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc.
199 B. Calvert St. Baltimore, Maryland
Amanda
Excellent citation examples.
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Kathleen Glasscock
Kathleen Glasscock marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Shirley Maier
Shirley Maier marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Professional Genealogy. a Manual for Researchers, Writers, Editors, Lecturers, and Librarians Evidence Explained: Citing History Sources from Artifacts to Cyberspace Isle of Canes Quicksheet Citing Online Historical Resources QuickSheet: Citing Ancestry.com Databases & Images, Evidence Style