Start by marking “Evidence! Citation & Analysis for the Family Historian” as Want to Read:
Evidence! Citation & Analysis for the Family Historian

Evidence! Citation & Analysis for the Family Historian

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Every devoted genealogist is concerned with citations in their analysis for their genealogy. Accurate citations are necessary so that the evidence can be judged and if necessary allows for the research to be repeated. The author makes it easy to help genealogists (particularly the non-expert) to make sense out of citations and to improve their genealogy search. THIS BOOK I ...more
Published July 24th 2011 by Genealogical Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1997)

Be the first to ask a question about Evidence! Citation & Analysis for the Family Historian

Jeremy
As I've worked on my family history from materials passed on from members of my family and collected from other databases, I have been frustrated by incorrect information and the lack of source annotations in the pedigrees I have. My latest disappointment was to find that one of my favorite ancestral lines, which passes through a 15th century Lord Mayor of London, probably does not belong to my family.

As I've been preparing to start the arduous work of checking the information I've inherited, I
Denise
A technical book that will constantly be a resource for me as I continue to work on becoming an accredited genealogist. I own this book and it's a good thing because I will constantly need to reference it!
Granny
Feb 02, 2008 Granny rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: researchers, genealogists.
Shelves: non-fiction
As a professional genealogist, this little book is always on my desk.
James Jeffrey
Must have for serious researchers.
I have been doing genealogy research for well over a decade, and I have to say that one of my biggest problems by far is my lackadaisical approach to citing sources. It's not that I don't think citing sources is important. It's extremely important. I just get sidetracked when I'm researching and don't always write down where I found a particular document or fact.

This book is a wonderful resource for people like me. Take this book with you on your library trips! If you use the information present
Cathy
Reading Jones's Mastering Genealogical Proof took some of the stuffing out of this book. Jones's book was much more recently released.
Tina Sansone
I use this book often as I cite sources on my research reports.
Sue Mortensen
This is exactly what I needed for the several projects I am working on. I was able to get rid of several other books and replace them with this book. I have marked and flagged all of the examples I think I will be using in the future. It was interesting to see how obsolete some forms of media have become in such a short time. I excited to organize my work using the rules outlined in this book. It's been very helpful.
Tanya
This reference seems great for American sources, but I found many of my British references were left incompletely treated. Her 2009 publication, Evidence Explained is much more complete, and really makes this book obsolete.
Christine
I bought this book with a little dread, but knowing this is an area in my genealogy research that really needs improvement. It fortunately is not a long book, so was not TOO intimidating.
JP
If you only get one reference book about how to record family history, this is it. It's concise and handy as a constant reference.
Gwnhwyfer
While this book is an excellent resource for citing sources, I have one quibble with it: it's very American-centric.
Ernie Dawson
This book is not only great from genealogical documentational point of view but any research.
Andy Lawless
Published by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc.
199 B. Calvert St. Baltimore, Maryland
Donna
Donna added it
Mar 27, 2015
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Ann
Ann added it
Mar 12, 2015
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Randy Whited
Randy Whited marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Kathryn Duffield
Kathryn Duffield marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
  • The BCG Genealogical Standards Manual
  • The Source: A Guidebook Of American Genealogy (Third Edition)
  • Researcher's Guide to American Genealogy
  • Hey, America, Your Roots Are Showing
  • How to Do Everything Genealogy
  • Shaking the Family Tree: Blue Bloods, Black Sheep, and Other Obsessions of an Accidental Genealogist
  • Genealogy Online for Dummies
  • The Scotch-Irish: A Social History
  • The Gestalt Approach and Eye Witness to Therapy
  • Devil of a Whipping: The Battle of Cowpens
  • The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
Professional Genealogy. a Manual for Researchers, Writers, Editors, Lecturers, and Librarians Evidence Explained: Citing History Sources from Artifacts to Cyberspace Isle of Canes Quicksheet Citing Online Historical Resources Quicksheet Citing Ancestry.Com Databases & Images