Start by marking “A Walk in London” as Want to Read:
A Walk in London

A Walk in London

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  44 reviews
A child’s-eye view of London’s top attractions blends lively artwork with fascinating facts, and features a sweeping gatefold of the city skyline.

London is calling! Come along on a mother-daughter day trip as they wend their way past the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, through Trafalgar Square, and on to Covent Garden. Listen closely and you might just learn a...more
Published March 22nd 2011 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about A Walk in London, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Walk in London

My First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisHow to Make an Apple Pie and See the World by Marjorie PricemanPossum Magic by Mem FoxBee-bim Bop! by Linda Sue ParkA Flower for the Queen by Caroline Vermalle
Read Around the World
12th out of 69 books — 53 voters
Martina Finds a Shiny Coin by Yadhira Gonzalez-TaylorThis is Paris by Miroslav SasekWally the Warm-Weather Penguin by Stephanie M. WardA Walk in London by Salvatore RubbinoMake Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
Best Travel Books for Kids
4th out of 26 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebecca Catlett
The book was about a little girl and her mother walking around in London. While they were there, they saw all kinds of sights. They visit the Whispering Gallery at St. Paul’s Cathedral,the Big Ben,Covenant Garden, and Tower of London. They also see the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace and the girl becomes so excited.She is learning along the way about the main attractions in London. They end their visit with a boat trip down the Thames River.

The age range of the book is primary. I thin...more
Ardea Smith
Title / Author / Publication Date: A Walk in London/Salvatore Rubbino/2011

Genre: Non-Fiction Picture Book

Format: Hardcover

Plot summary: A mother and daughter get off a double-decker bus in central London for a day of sightseeing.

Considerations or precautions for readers advisory: This book has elements for both younger and older children. The large text is simple and serves as a guide to the pictures while the smaller text placed around the pages has informative text about the sights and sounds...more
Charlotte Peters
This book is beautifully illustrated and uses a combination of story telling and facts to engage the reader about the places the character is visiting.

It could be a great text to use in English, to compare the difference between fact and fiction, it could also be used within Geography. Children could compare the different places described in Salvatore Rubbino's books and begin to research their own local area. Therefore this book has many cross curricular links. The author's illustrations could...more
MCPLD Youth Department
Readers will be charmed by Salvatore Rubbino's lively illustrations and interesting trivia about one of the oldest and most exciting cities in the world. As a mother and daughter take a day trip around London the reader is learning many fascinating things about this great city.
Tricia
I like these books ("Walk in New York" included) because it's a children's eye tour of landmarks in different cities. If the child lived in or had visited the city, it may make more sense but if not, it's a fun travel journey via book.
Jack Scotcher
A great book about travelling around the city of London! A young girl and her mother get off a double decker bus and tour the city. Throughout the journey, the reader is presented with facts and dialogue between the girl and her mum. The facts are aimed at older aged audiences ( I learned a lot!) and the dialogue between the mum and the child could be for a much younger audience.

This book should appeal mainly to KS2 aged children.

The book is packed with information. Along with the girl's narrat...more
Kristen
This is a wonderful book for children and parents to share. Each page features illustrations of different parts of London. Annotations describe details shown throughout the book such as the history of London's landmarks, bird life, and its people. The book follows a day-trip of mother and daughter walking through the streets of London.

One annotation, for example, explains how a dragon statue designates where the road changes its name from "the Strand" to "Fleet Street," where the dragon is the...more
Janessa
A Walk in London, by Salvatore Rubbino, is an absolutely charming picture book about a mother and her young daughter taking a day trip to explore the city of London. They arrive in Westminster on a bright red double decker bus to the sound of Big Ben chiming out the hour. From there they walk through St. James’s Park and arrive at Buckingham Palace just in time for the changing of the guard. The illustrations are full of movement and personality, with just the right amount of detail to capture t...more
Lori
From the Publisher:
A wide-eyed girl and her mother explore London's busy streets and towering views in this child-friendly tribute to an incomparable city.

London – the perfect place for a girl and her mother to spend the day! Follow them as they board the classic red bus and begin a whirlwind tour of some of London’s most iconic landmarks. Try and climb the awe-inspiring lions at Trafalgar Square, take in the ritualistic Changing of the Guard, experience the whispering gallery at St Paul’s and...more
Lorna Hetherington
A Walk in London follows a little girl and her Mum on their day out in London. The reader is invited to accompany them on their way and is shown all of the important sights including Buckingham Palace and Covent Garden. As a result, the reader becomes very involved and this creates a feeling of interactivity. The contemporary illustrations accompany the text nicely and the unfolding panorama of the Thames in the centre of the book adds excitement and novelty value.

This is essentially a fiction b...more
A_Jenny
I have felt like I too have thru London and learned about each building, statue, neighborhood, and Buckingham Palace too. The fold out pages was full of information as well on the different facts bout the architecture, buildings, and culture. For example, until 1749, there was oly one bridge that allowed you to cross into London, the St. Paul's Cathedral was completed in 1710 and it was the tallest building for two and a half centuries. The illustrations were a combination of sketches from the a...more
A beautiful book about traveling to London! There are many wonderful details and I loved the subdued artwork.

Minor complaints:
The cover shows a mother holding a young child, which gives the impression that the book is for a younger audience. The child in the story is clearly old enough to spend a day walking through London and this book should appeal to elementary aged children.

The book is packed with information. Along with the girl's narrative, there are text boxes to give information about...more
Kristina Silverbears
A great travel book for children, probably best for 5-7 year olds, as there are lots of facts which slow down the story, but are interesting for past and present visitors of London.
Terry
Little Kid Reaction: A friend of mine used the book with his son as an introduction to London since he plans to take his family there on vacation this summer. The boy enjoyed it immensely and is quite excited now about the trip.

Big Kid Reaction: Both my friend and I found the book excellent. The fascinating trivia about London makes the book all the more appealing.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
Elys
This is a brilliant book, detailing a day long walk around some of London's landmarks. It contains a lot of really interesting information about the sights featured, and has a pull out map of the city, marking the route followed by the little girl and her mum. This is a great book to use for any class studying London as a topic - it has lots of cross-curricular points of interest, such as the pelicans in St James's park (science/geography), and the Monument (history - the Great Fire). It could a...more
Mitel Patel
A Walk in London by Salvatore Rubbino

This book is great for children to explore London. It makes London look really interesting and combines story telling with facts. The story is suitable for KS1 and Early Years. A great story for a geography topic or simply a read-a-loud story. This book provides lots of opportunities for discussion with children. Fantastic illustrations to go along with the text.
Alice
I have been to London several times and even though I am not a big city girl and don't really care for big cities, I do like London. This book was a great reminder of all the great things there are to see and do in London. This is also really easy for kids to understand. With the Summer Olympics currently going on in London, it makes want to be in London live to watch all the events. Oh well, I will have to settle for reading this book and dream of my next trip to London and Great Britain!
Ciaran Mcnamee
This is a really attractive picture book for lower Key-Stage 2 children. The book is narrated by a child as she and her mother go on a sight-seeing tour around London. A Walk in London is packed full of facts about the city. I could imagine this book being used for lots of different purposes. Some examples might be as the basis of a class trip; to prompt children to write using direct speech; providing information to include in their own information texts about London.
Jocelin
Absolutely lovely picture about the streets of London. This was such a great book; a travelogue for the little ones with tidbits of great information for the parents. I am ready to go to London. I thought this was a great book for people to read about London without it being to much to take in all at once. Good book to celebrate the 2012 Summer Olympics.
Lucia
Rubbino does an incredible job of leaving the reader searching for a ticket to London to see all the sites. This reader really enjoyed the way the book was a story about a little girl and her mother visiting London with facts placed about the page. Lovely!!! Illustrations are retro and fun.

Can someone help me get there, please!
Christen
This picture book made me feel nostalgic for London, one of my favorite cities. It's a lot of text mixed in among the illustrations, so I'd recommend this for 1-2nd graders rather than the preschool crowd. They might be more interested in the illustrations than the travel memoir, however, which is a bit slow.
Jill
Such a wonderful walk through London. For the younger kids just read the story, and for older kids read the smaller type with facts about the city. I would certainly want to read this book before a trip to London. Now I want to visit to see all the things I learned about in the book.
Sandy
I like the art quite a bit. Wish there were more books like this (simple text, nice photos/illustrations, explorable) about other parts of the world, or even about different places in the US - I get requests for them fairly often, and rarely have anything good to offer!
Sadie
I do like these beautiful illustrations but the style seems to be an exact mimic of M. Sasek's work. I would more likely recommend Sasek's book "This is London" from 1959 and others including: "This is Paris", "This is New York", "This is Rome", etc.
Jodie
A tour of London for young readers. Lots of interesting facts to read throughout the book and they don't get in the way of the story. A great read to tie in with the summer Olympics and those interested in knowing a bit more about this city.
Anita
I love this series for children! They were written a long time ago but beautifully illustrated tours of some of the world's most wonderful cities. Great gift for children and parents.
Erin
As long as it's about the UK, it doesn't take much to impress me. In this, I loved the illustrations, the little bits of trivia, and the fold-out panoramic view of the Thames!
Kathryn
I loved the retro illustrations and all the fun facts. It's like a mini tour guide for little kids. Makes me wish Rubbino would do one for all the cities I've lived in.
Courtney Burns
I love walking around London so it makes sense that I would enjoy this book. Can't wait to try out the route myself the next time I jump the pond.
Leigh
Entertaining and fun guide to London. The pictures are fun to look at, and it would be a good resource for kids travelling to London
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Salvatore Rubbino is a graduate of the Royal College of Art in London. A Walk in New York, his first picture book, began as a series of paintings that was short-listed for the Victoria and Albert Museum Illustration Awards. He lives (and walks) in London.
More about Salvatore Rubbino...
A Walk in New York A Walk in Paris Just Ducks!