Start by marking “A Walk in London” as Want to Read:
A Walk in London

A Walk in London (A Walk In...)

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  164 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
A child’s-eye view of London’s top attractions blends lively artwork with fascinating facts, and features a sweeping gatefold of the city skyline.

London is calling! Come along on a mother-daughter day trip as they wend their way past the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, through Trafalgar Square, and on to Covent Garden. Listen closely and you might just learn a
Published March 22nd 2011 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about A Walk in London, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Walk in London

My First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisHow to Make an Apple Pie and See the World by Marjorie PricemanPossum Magic by Mem FoxBee-bim Bop! by Linda Sue ParkA Flower for the Queen by Caroline Vermalle
Read Around the World
15th out of 89 books — 61 voters
Martina Finds a Shiny Coin by Yadhira Gonzalez-TaylorMission Paris by Catherine AragonMission London by Catherine AragonLondon ABC by Ben HawkesThis is Paris by Miroslav Sasek
Best Travel Books for Kids
8th out of 29 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebecca Catlett
Apr 02, 2014 Rebecca Catlett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book was about a little girl and her mother walking around in London. While they were there, they saw all kinds of sights. They visit the Whispering Gallery at St. Paul’s Cathedral,the Big Ben,Covenant Garden, and Tower of London. They also see the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace and the girl becomes so excited.She is learning along the way about the main attractions in London. They end their visit with a boat trip down the Thames River.

The age range of the book is primary. I thin
Ardea Smith
Sep 07, 2013 Ardea Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-log
Title / Author / Publication Date: A Walk in London/Salvatore Rubbino/2011

Genre: Non-Fiction Picture Book

Format: Hardcover

Plot summary: A mother and daughter get off a double-decker bus in central London for a day of sightseeing.

Considerations or precautions for readers advisory: This book has elements for both younger and older children. The large text is simple and serves as a guide to the pictures while the smaller text placed around the pages has informative text about the sights and sounds
Charlotte Peters
Apr 21, 2014 Charlotte Peters rated it it was amazing
This book is beautifully illustrated and uses a combination of story telling and facts to engage the reader about the places the character is visiting.

It could be a great text to use in English, to compare the difference between fact and fiction, it could also be used within Geography. Children could compare the different places described in Salvatore Rubbino's books and begin to research their own local area. Therefore this book has many cross curricular links. The author's illustrations could
MCPLD Youth Department
Readers will be charmed by Salvatore Rubbino's lively illustrations and interesting trivia about one of the oldest and most exciting cities in the world. As a mother and daughter take a day trip around London the reader is learning many fascinating things about this great city.
Tricia
Jul 27, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it
I like these books ("Walk in New York" included) because it's a children's eye tour of landmarks in different cities. If the child lived in or had visited the city, it may make more sense but if not, it's a fun travel journey via book.
Kristen
This is a wonderful book for children and parents to share. Each page features illustrations of different parts of London. Annotations describe details shown throughout the book such as the history of London's landmarks, bird life, and its people. The book follows a day-trip of mother and daughter walking through the streets of London.

One annotation, for example, explains how a dragon statue designates where the road changes its name from "the Strand" to "Fleet Street," where the dragon is the
Janessa
Jul 28, 2011 Janessa rated it it was amazing
A Walk in London, by Salvatore Rubbino, is an absolutely charming picture book about a mother and her young daughter taking a day trip to explore the city of London. They arrive in Westminster on a bright red double decker bus to the sound of Big Ben chiming out the hour. From there they walk through St. James’s Park and arrive at Buckingham Palace just in time for the changing of the guard. The illustrations are full of movement and personality, with just the right amount of detail to capture t ...more
Lori
Nov 03, 2012 Lori rated it really liked it
From the Publisher:
A wide-eyed girl and her mother explore London's busy streets and towering views in this child-friendly tribute to an incomparable city.

London – the perfect place for a girl and her mother to spend the day! Follow them as they board the classic red bus and begin a whirlwind tour of some of London’s most iconic landmarks. Try and climb the awe-inspiring lions at Trafalgar Square, take in the ritualistic Changing of the Guard, experience the whispering gallery at St Paul’s and
Lorna Hetherington
Oct 17, 2013 Lorna Hetherington rated it really liked it
A Walk in London follows a little girl and her Mum on their day out in London. The reader is invited to accompany them on their way and is shown all of the important sights including Buckingham Palace and Covent Garden. As a result, the reader becomes very involved and this creates a feeling of interactivity. The contemporary illustrations accompany the text nicely and the unfolding panorama of the Thames in the centre of the book adds excitement and novelty value.

This is essentially a fiction b
A_Jenny
Jun 10, 2012 A_Jenny rated it it was amazing
I have felt like I too have thru London and learned about each building, statue, neighborhood, and Buckingham Palace too. The fold out pages was full of information as well on the different facts bout the architecture, buildings, and culture. For example, until 1749, there was oly one bridge that allowed you to cross into London, the St. Paul's Cathedral was completed in 1710 and it was the tallest building for two and a half centuries. The illustrations were a combination of sketches from the a ...more
May 09, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
A beautiful book about traveling to London! There are many wonderful details and I loved the subdued artwork.

Minor complaints:
The cover shows a mother holding a young child, which gives the impression that the book is for a younger audience. The child in the story is clearly old enough to spend a day walking through London and this book should appeal to elementary aged children.

The book is packed with information. Along with the girl's narrative, there are text boxes to give information about
Apr 13, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing
what's not to love about this book, really. the fun facts live up to its name (because come on, not all fun facts you've come across are actually 'fun' or even interesting, amirite?) and I literally could not put this book down, as well as the others in this series. can't wait to experience the beauty of it all in person one day!!
Denise Kruse
Aug 31, 2015 Denise Kruse rated it really liked it
Delightfully illustrated in a style reminscent of some of my favorite childhood picture books. The fascinating tidbits of information about London are just enough to whet a child's (or anyone's) interest.
Kristina Silverbears
Jul 28, 2014 Kristina Silverbears rated it it was amazing
Shelves: babies
A great travel book for children, probably best for 5-7 year olds, as there are lots of facts which slow down the story, but are interesting for past and present visitors of London.
Gigi
If you have never been to London, you will feel like you have just visited after reading this book, It is a wonderful combination of simple narration and factual captions.
Pat
Dec 23, 2015 Pat rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Charming story about travel and history as a mother escorts her daughter through the streets of London.
Caryl
Nice illustrations, lots of text to read (or not). My favorite part was the "foldout Thames panorama."
Terry
Little Kid Reaction: A friend of mine used the book with his son as an introduction to London since he plans to take his family there on vacation this summer. The boy enjoyed it immensely and is quite excited now about the trip.

Big Kid Reaction: Both my friend and I found the book excellent. The fascinating trivia about London makes the book all the more appealing.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub.
Diz
Feb 07, 2015 Diz rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A nice way to introduce the city of London to young children. The illustrations are beautiful.
Elys
May 07, 2012 Elys rated it really liked it
This is a brilliant book, detailing a day long walk around some of London's landmarks. It contains a lot of really interesting information about the sights featured, and has a pull out map of the city, marking the route followed by the little girl and her mum. This is a great book to use for any class studying London as a topic - it has lots of cross-curricular points of interest, such as the pelicans in St James's park (science/geography), and the Monument (history - the Great Fire). It could a ...more
Mitel Patel
Jul 01, 2012 Mitel Patel rated it really liked it
A Walk in London by Salvatore Rubbino

This book is great for children to explore London. It makes London look really interesting and combines story telling with facts. The story is suitable for KS1 and Early Years. A great story for a geography topic or simply a read-a-loud story. This book provides lots of opportunities for discussion with children. Fantastic illustrations to go along with the text.
Alice
Aug 07, 2012 Alice rated it really liked it
I have been to London several times and even though I am not a big city girl and don't really care for big cities, I do like London. This book was a great reminder of all the great things there are to see and do in London. This is also really easy for kids to understand. With the Summer Olympics currently going on in London, it makes want to be in London live to watch all the events. Oh well, I will have to settle for reading this book and dream of my next trip to London and Great Britain!
Ciaran Mcnamee
Dec 07, 2013 Ciaran Mcnamee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: settlements, ks2, london
This is a really attractive picture book for lower Key-Stage 2 children. The book is narrated by a child as she and her mother go on a sight-seeing tour around London. A Walk in London is packed full of facts about the city. I could imagine this book being used for lots of different purposes. Some examples might be as the basis of a class trip; to prompt children to write using direct speech; providing information to include in their own information texts about London.
Mills College Library
Picture R894w 2011
Jocelin
Jun 24, 2012 Jocelin rated it it was amazing
Absolutely lovely picture about the streets of London. This was such a great book; a travelogue for the little ones with tidbits of great information for the parents. I am ready to go to London. I thought this was a great book for people to read about London without it being to much to take in all at once. Good book to celebrate the 2012 Summer Olympics.
Lucia
Aug 02, 2011 Lucia rated it really liked it
Rubbino does an incredible job of leaving the reader searching for a ticket to London to see all the sites. This reader really enjoyed the way the book was a story about a little girl and her mother visiting London with facts placed about the page. Lovely!!! Illustrations are retro and fun.

Can someone help me get there, please!
Christen
Sep 17, 2011 Christen rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This picture book made me feel nostalgic for London, one of my favorite cities. It's a lot of text mixed in among the illustrations, so I'd recommend this for 1-2nd graders rather than the preschool crowd. They might be more interested in the illustrations than the travel memoir, however, which is a bit slow.
Jill
Such a wonderful walk through London. For the younger kids just read the story, and for older kids read the smaller type with facts about the city. I would certainly want to read this book before a trip to London. Now I want to visit to see all the things I learned about in the book.
Sandy
Sep 08, 2011 Sandy rated it liked it
I like the art quite a bit. Wish there were more books like this (simple text, nice photos/illustrations, explorable) about other parts of the world, or even about different places in the US - I get requests for them fairly often, and rarely have anything good to offer!
Ashley
Jul 06, 2015 Ashley rated it liked it
Shelves: geography
This was my first book in what appears to be an "A Walk in" collection. Please, keep them coming! I loved reading about all the landmarks and attractions from a child's perspective. The added factoids hidden throughout the book were also an added bonus.
  • Thunder Birds: Nature's Flying Predators
  • Sarah Emma Edmonds Was a Great Pretender: The True Story of a Civil War Spy (Carolrhoda Picture Books)
  • Orani: My Father's Village
  • The House Baba Built: An Artist's Childhood in China
  • Pablo Neruda: Poet of the People
  • First Garden: The White House Garden and How It Grew
  • How to Clean a Hippopotamus: A Look at Unusual Animal Partnerships
Salvatore Rubbino is a graduate of the Royal College of Art in London. A Walk in New York, his first picture book, began as a series of paintings that was short-listed for the Victoria and Albert Museum Illustration Awards. He lives (and walks) in London.
More about Salvatore Rubbino...

A Walk In... (3 books)