Start by marking “Setting Boundaries with Your Adult Children: Six Steps to Hope and Healing for Struggling Parents” as Want to Read:

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  268 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
This important and compassionate new book from the creator of the successful God Allows U-Turns series will help parents and grandparents of the many adult children who continue to make life painful for their loved ones.

Writing from firsthand experience, Allison identifies the lies that kept her, and ultimately her son in bondage--and how she overcame them. Additional real
Published February 1st 2008 by Harvest House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Setting Boundaries with Your Adult Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Setting Boundaries with Your Adult Children

Melanie
Mar 18, 2014 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It gave me new tools to use with my adult children. And peace with the decisions I make with them also. Three years after reading this book I still reflect on what I read in her book. Allison used her circumstances and her life choices to show us that as parents it is ok to let our Adult Children go and we can learn how to live our own lives. God is enough! He is capable to change the hearts of our children because he loves them more than we do.
Kristi Petersen
Jan 29, 2014 Kristi Petersen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are no easy answers but this book gave me hope that I might regain some sanity in my life and enforce boundaries. Even those with young children should read this book because you'll see where not to go wrong to begin with (ex: doing everything for your child out of love, instead of having them being the person responsible for their own actions. This book helped me tremendously.
Rhonda Rae Baker
Feb 21, 2009 Rhonda Rae Baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great encouragement for me. I've been working on these same issues for several years now. With five children there are many levels that I totally related to. I'm happy to say that there are only a couple of situations right now that are pressing and I'm standing strong.

There have been many things that happened within my family which changed me and my children...the tools presented in this book are right on!

After reading the introduction by Carol Kent...I've read her two books abo
Michelle
There are many, many helpful non-fiction books in this world to choose from, but this is one that every parent MUST read. It's incredibly well-written and interesting, and the examples are excellent. Since I've worked with dysfunctional people and families for twenty years as a social worker, I can testify that Allison knows what she is talking about. She's obviously poured her heart and soul into this book in order to help families, and I've not found better advice out there for people who have ...more
Paulette Kerr
May 16, 2015 Paulette Kerr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing...and right on time!!!! Thank you, Allison!

This was a very painful read on just about every page (mostly because I was in one situation after another with my daughter), but very much needed. It was such a huge help (and still is), to the point where I go back and reread some of the pages/chapters. I thank God for this author and this book.
Gloria
Aug 30, 2015 Gloria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read

I would recommend this to all parents. Your child does not have to be an adult. Start reading this when they're in middle school, to better prepare you (and to guide them) for the transition from high school to adulthood. Life has to change when they've left the nest.
Michele
Aug 09, 2015 Michele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book has been and will continue to be helpful to me as I learn how to set boundaries to help my son become an independent, contributing adult. The pages are full of practical truths and encouragement for true change, not only for your adult child, but for yourself.
ginger walto
Wonderful inspiration

lifted me up. I believe I too have something to share. and will have a small group setting at church. I am not alone.
Beverly Steinhardt
Very practical, down to earth advise on how to stop enabling an Adult Child with drug or alcohol issues. Some of the suggestions are good for other issues as well but the focus is on families with addiction at the heart of the problem
Carla
Jul 22, 2014 Carla rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't even finish it...
Linda
Sep 02, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my second time through this book...lots of good information I needed to hear even though some of it is difficult to do. One of the biggest things I learned is that helping is doing something for a child he cannot do for himself...enabling is doing something the child can do for himself. It reminded me that I need to step away and allow God to work in the lives of my sons.
Dynamodb
Jan 31, 2010 Dynamodb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This is an excellent book for struggling parents. Good organization and ideas. Bottke holds up a mirror and then helps us to find our way out of the rabbit hole.
Missy
Sep 11, 2014 Missy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
if you're struggling with your Adult Children & Setting Boundaries; this book is for you! Great Pointers! Hope some of them sunk in. :)
Laura Henzel
Mar 02, 2013 Laura Henzel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very helpful even when you have good kids it makes you relize we all could improve
Karen
Sep 20, 2013 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: soul
I'm not a 'tough love' sort of person... though DH wishes I was!
Lillian
Nov 17, 2009 Lillian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good advice to those struggling with this.
Keith
Apr 17, 2011 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Very insightful and helpful...
Sheri Mukai
Very informative on issues not considered before
Joan Parker
Informative
Regina
May 01, 2010 Regina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned how to have a healthy relationship with my son, and how to set boundaries with all my family members. I totally recommend this book who may have adult children who aren't being productive.
Lori
Jul 22, 2008 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read. Even though I'm not a parent yet I will be someday and it taught me some very critical points to raising a child with an addiction. Taken from a Christian perspective.
Suzanne Sondberg
Suzanne Sondberg rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2016
Robin
Robin is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2016
Aengels
Aengels is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2016
Terra Mauro
Terra Mauro is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2016
Millie
Millie rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Sheri Grossberg
Sheri Grossberg marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Maid Marion
Maid Marion rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Lyudmyla Kurenkov
Lyudmyla Kurenkov marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Johanna C Anderson
Johanna C Anderson rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2016
  • Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens (Resources for Changing Lives)
  • Resolving Everyday Conflict
  • Love Must Be Tough: New Hope for Marriages in Crisis
  • Hope for Today
  • Paideia of God: & Other Essays on Education
  • Marriage, Divorce, and Remarriage in the Bible: A Fresh Look at What Scripture Teaches
  • Answers to Distraction
  • How to Really Love Your Child
  • Prodigals and Those Who Love Them
  • Renovation of the Church: What Happens When a Seeker Church Discovers Spiritual Formation
  • The Secret Lives of Hoarders: True Stories of Tackling Extreme Clutter
  • Women with Attention Deficit Disorder: Embrace Your Differences and Transform Your Life
  • Experiencing God Through Prayer
  • The Three R's
  • The Adversary: The Christian Versus Demon Activity
  • False Intimacy: Understanding the Struggle of Sexual Addiction
  • A Lasting Promise: A Christian Guide to Fighting for Your Marriage
  • The Case for Christ for Kids (Case for... Series for Kids)

“For years some of us have focused our attention (and worries) on our adult children. We’ve not only taken on the role of director in the drama of their lives, but the roles of producer, stage manager, dresser, caterer, financier, and scriptwriter as well. We’ve done countless things for them that they are more than capable of doing for themselves.” 0 likes
“This show is over. But a new production is on the horizon! We must replace our enabling behavior with something else. Ending Enabling Behavior From experience I’ve learned four life-saving truths about changing enabling behavior:   We can pray for the power to change ourselves. We can help (not enable) adult children of any age develop wings to fly on their own. We can find comfort in knowing we are not alone” 0 likes