Start by marking “Encountering Heaven and the Afterlife: True Stories from People Who Have Glimpsed the World Beyond” as Want to Read:

What happens when we die? What is heaven really like? How do spiritual beings--angels and demons--interact with us here and in the hereafter? Real-life, credible stories of near-death experiences and spiritual encounters gathered by the authors of Heaven and the Afterlife paint a clearer, fuller picture of exactly what readers can expect when it's their turn to "cross over ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Encountering Heaven and the Afterlife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encountering Heaven and the Afterlife

Mar 13, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This book is a great collection of spiritual encounters gathered from an array of people. The different stories are grouped in sections of near death experiences, visions, seeing angels and demons, etc.
As the authors state, each story gives a glimpse of the spiritual world and that the many glimpses give you a better view.
Shari Larsen
Jun 30, 2012 Shari Larsen rated it liked it
These are real-life stories of near-death experiences and spiritual encounters. Having lost my dad in August, many of these stories gave me a measure of comfort, especially the stories of those who saw glimpses of Heaven before they passed on. They are also comforting to me when I think about my own eventual death from cancer. It might sound morbid to some to want to read about death when you have incurable cancer, but to me, learning more about it means I have less to fear.

I especially liked he
This book is a collection of stories of people who have had near-death experiences in which they had visions or thought they went to Heaven or Hell, as well as other supernatural experiences. While interesting to read, the stories don't prove anything as they are all intensely personal experiences. One group of stories was about people who had been visited or contacted by a loved one who had died. I'm not sure that people can return to earth after death, but I know people do have supernatural ex ...more
Nov 26, 2012 Rayni rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those interested in NDEs
Recommended to Rayni by: Inspired Reads
I liked this book. I liked the scriptural references & the way the stories were grouped together with like stories. I have had spiritual experiences myself & these stories go along with what I have experienced.

Although I haven't seen angels in Harley jackets, I liked how the angels appeared like normal people. The two men who showed up at Mormon Flat Dam & helped the family out of a perilous situation made me laugh. The man wouldn't normally trust men who looked like them, yet they g
Dona R. Gant
May 31, 2016 Dona R. Gant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For real? Yes!

This book was very comforting to read, and although I have not personally had one of these experiences, I'm glad to know that they comfort those who do. God provides what we need at the time we need it and like gravity...
Whether you believe in it or not, it really does exist.
Sep 18, 2014 Vickie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You have to keep an open mind while reading this book. Some stories seem unrealistic but others i have no doubt are true. What I really like about this book is how it uses so many Biblical references to support it.
Apr 24, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating and beyond belief

A wonderful book that recounts the near death experiences of people. It encompasses visitations from loved ones who have passed as well. Incredible stories.
Jun 08, 2013 SheLove2Read rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Great read even if it did make me cry ugly buckets of tears. Recommend for anyone who is unsure about their final destination, or anyone looking for comfort after the passing of a loved one.
John Kennedy
This book should have been better. Many of the accounts aren't that riveting. The book is uneven.
Orville Jenkins
This book is written by a pastor, James Garlow, from a pastoral perspective, and is addressed to concerns he feels parishioners have. The topic might be considered Theology, but it would be Popular Theology, not Theology as the term is traditionally used. The questions posed and the frame of reference in which he proposes answers are those of popular western culture.

They are posed as absolute questions, and he does not try to provide analysis of the questions or evaluate their validity. This aut
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Oh I would never know how much this book would mean to me or how much of a comfort it is to anyone who has experienced loss whether it's someone we love or even a pet we hold dear to our hearts. This book provides the hope we need to know that we will see our loved ones again in heaven as long as they are a believer in Jesus Christ.

It's also an amazing book to use to show you what heaven is like, what happens when we die, what is hell like, what are the roles of angels and demons in this life an
Chad Miles
Apr 29, 2016 Chad Miles rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really like to read books that push me deeper into my faith in Christ and the goodness of God. That's really not what I got from this at all. The book always left me feeling that heaven was a really weird place and was never accurately described by anyone that had been there. The accounts in Sid Roth's book are far more descriptive and each account is backed up by a commentary and a summary of the person. The more I read this book the more I started feeling like something was wrong. If you go ...more
Kate Canan Rizzo
Mar 12, 2012 Kate Canan Rizzo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Atheists and those questioning their faith
While Garlow's book is interesting and an easy read, it had a lack of details in several of the stories. So far, I know that Heaven is beautiful, has a lot of houses in fields, tons of flowers, and everything seems to glow with a radiant light. I was hoping for more in-depth stories that exposed more of what Heaven was like, as in what people do all day. I was continuously left with the question, "What else?" This is not to say that these accounts were not incredibly comforting, because they wer ...more
This book is a review of paranormal and after death experiences researched by two Christian ministers. The content itself is not exceptional or unique, but it reveals a very interesting point: These experiences are not different then found in any other books written about the very same subject matter. And this begs the question: Are all these type experiences universal, but individuals simply "frame" the experiences based on cultural/religious background? It seems to me that researchers from all ...more
Nov 17, 2012 Marci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Instead of just one person's account of what they saw when they died, this is a collection of Near Death Experiences. The stories are told without any extra preaching or excessive verbage about their life before and after. Nice to compare what each person saw. Also, a few negative experiences, not everyone gets a glimpse of paradise :)
Kendall Evans
Mar 28, 2012 Kendall Evans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely a thought-provoking book. Seeing Heaven through the eyes of so many different people is really powerful reading. The authors did a wonderful job choosing the stories, and the entire book was a quick read because each tale made me want to keep reading. Not necessarily a book I would re-read but definitely one I would pass on to someone else.
Jul 24, 2016 L.L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading Encountering Heaven and the Afterlife. Thank you, James L. Garlow and Keith Wall, for writing this amazing book and for all of the effort you put into compiling so many personal accounts and checking for credibility. I found the stories very comforting after losing my daughter a year and a half ago.

Annie writing as LL Curtis
Nov 11, 2010 Kitty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the stories about heaven. I didn't like reading the ones about hell. They were a little disturbing, but I guess they needed to be told. I enjoyed seeing a glimpse of what heaven might be like. I will have to find a copy of the first book and read it as well.
Colleen Siddons molnar
As a hospice volunteer, I have had a few experiences with patients in which they have saw someone I didn't. It is encouraging knowing these wonderful people are headed to heaven. And that one day I may too.
Sue A Perry
Apr 22, 2015 Sue A Perry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Fascinating, and yet left me wanting to know more about each story. Made me wonder about mediums, and question their authenticity.
Leah rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2016
Sharon Washington
Sharon Washington rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Maxine Ann Harvison
Maxine Ann Harvison rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Andra rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Adam Heisey
Adam Heisey rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2012
Heidi Day
Heidi Day rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
CShulamite rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2012
Robert rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Autumn Harris
Autumn Harris rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2014
Chris rated it really liked it
May 12, 2015
  • More Glimpses of Heaven: Inspiring True Stories of Hope and Peace at the End of Life's Journey
  • The Ultimate Conversation
  • Worry-Free Living: Trading Anxiety for Peace
  • Miracles: 32 True Stories
  • Three Free Sins: A New Perspective on Sin and Grace
  • Bounce Back: When Your Heart is Empty and Your Dreams are Lost
  • Invitation to the Jesus Life: Experiments in Christlikeness
  • My Father's Business: 30 Inspirational Stories for Discerning and Doing Gods Will
  • God on the Streets of Gotham: What the Big Screen Batman Can Teach Us about God and Ourselves
  • Noah: A Wordless Picture Book
  • 101 Things You Should Do Before Your Kids Leave Home
  • When God Makes Lemonade: True Stories that Amaze & Encourage
  • Beyond Heaven's Door
  • A Treasury of Miracles for Women: True Stories of God's Presence Today
  • Ditching the Drive-Thru
  • Deeper Into the Word: Reflections on 100 Words from the New Testament
  • The Mystic Heart: Discovering a Universal Spirituality in the World's Religions
  • Sky Lantern: The Story of a Father’s Love for His Children and the Healing Power of the Smallest Act of Kindness