Soup Day

Soup Day

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  30 reviews
On a cold, snowy day, a young girl and her mother shop to buy ingredients for vegetable soup. At home, they work together—step by step—to prepare the meal. While the soup is cooking, they spend the time playing games and reading. Before long, Daddy's home and the family sits down to enjoy a home made dinner.This book celebrates the importance of making a nutritious meal an...more
Published September 28th 2010 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Soup Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soup Day

The Lorax by Dr. SeussThat's Why We Don't Eat Animals by Ruby RothHerb, the Vegetarian Dragon by Jules  BassHubert the Pudge by Henrik DrescherOur Farm by Maya Gottfried
Vegetarian & Vegan Friendly Books for Kids
23rd out of 87 books — 37 voters
The Luxe by Anna GodbersenParanormalcy by Kiersten WhiteEverlasting by Alyson NoelFriend or Fae by Hannah BlatchfordStarcrossed by Josephine Angelini
Dressed in Pink
148th out of 162 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
What a sweet little book! I loved the warm, caring home and the fun, attentive mom and the love of cooking that just rises up from the pages like delicious steam from a bowl of soup! ;-p Though the text is fairly sparse and the illustrations are a bit cartoony at times (it is a board book for young readers), I felt that every word was chosen with skill and the illustrations conveyed all the right emotions. I just loved the little things, like how the girl watches her mother chop vegetables for t...more
J.
The pictures are extremely well done and quirky. The book focuses on a girl who looks to be Asian and her presumably adoptive white mother as they prepare a meal together. I love that the protagonists in the story are an underrepresented population of society. This is obviously not the focus of the book, but it does add something special in my opinion.

This book is a great find for younger children. Kids will be drawn in by the pictures and will think it's fun to see the pictures of the foods tha...more
Tasha
Today is soup day, so a little girl and her mother head to the store through the snowy streets. There they buy the ingredients for their soup, careful to choose the vegetables with the brightest colors. They pick out green celery, yellow onions, orange carrots, white mushrooms and more. Back at home, they wash the vegetables and cut them into little pieces. The little girl gets to help with a plastic knife and the softer veggies. After sautéing the vegetables, broth is added and the soup cooks....more
Anna
Title: Soup Day By Melissa Iwai
Summary: A girl and her mother make a day of making soup.
Rating: Yes
Ages: 3-5 years
Pros:
The bright collage illustrations are large and easy to see, perfect for sharing with groups.
This book is filled with description that makes for easy extended educational interaction with the reader. For example, on one page the characters count the vegetables in their grocery basket and on another they discuss the shapes that the cut vegetable make: circles, squares and cubes...more
Kim
I liked the chunky illustration style and the way the little girl is shown to be capable of helping her mom with soup-making tasks.
Bambini Travel
We love to read and we love to cook. Books that encourage a cooking project are one of our favorites. Melissa Iwai's delightful book "Soup Day" walks you through a child and her mother having a soup day. They head to the market, prepare the ingredients, make their soup, play while they wait, and enjoy it as a family. With playful illustrations and concise language, Iwai celebrates the simplicity of working side by side with the ones we love. At the back is a recipe for the soup made by the chara...more
Gwen
Soup Day is a wonderfully illustrated children's book. What better time to make soup then a snowy day? The daughter and mother go to the grocery store to pick out ingredients. Melissa Iwai includes all the necessary steps to making a vegetable soup. My pre-k students really liked the illustrations and explanations of how things were cut and added to the soup. A great activity was reading the book and pretending to do what the characters were doing. Personally, I really liked seeing an Asian chil...more
Christine Turner
Subjects
Mother and child -- Juvenile fiction
Soups -- Juvenile fiction.
Cooking (Vegetables) -- Juvenile fiction.

On a cold, snowy day, a young girl and her mother shop to buy ingredients for vegetable soup. At home, they work together ”step by step ”to prepare the meal. While the soup is cooking, they spend the time playing games and reading. Before long, Daddy’s home and the family sits down to enjoy a home made dinner. This book celebrates the importance of making a nutritious meal and sharing...more
Penny McGill
We gave this book 5 stars plus 2 thumbs up. The style of illustration plus her fantastic text made it a delight to read aloud, over and over.

We kept it at home one extra week just so we could try the recipe and it was worth it.

A really nice choice for the family bookshelf or a trip to your biblio.
Peacegal
This is a simple and charming little book about a mother and daughter preparing vegetable soup.

I love the fact that the characters made a vegan soup--and the recipe at the book's conclusion suggests vegetable broth as an alternative to meat broths. Veg*n families--or anyone trying to impart healthy eating patterns--will appreciate this one quite a bit.
Kaylee
Cora's review:
She wanted alphabet noodles. I wanted stars but there were no stars at the grocery store. They had lots. It was hard work. Three carrots, two onions, one celery, four potatoes, five zucchini, six mushrooms, and parsley. And that's it of the book. And they went to the shop and it was very snowy and cold and they wore scarves.
The Library Lady
I love everything about this book starting with the sturdy pages, the bright bold artwork and the simple language, reminiscent of Anne Rockwell in its being perfectly chosen to feel right to 2 and 3 year olds. I'm saving this one for a soup program in January to go along with "Chicken Soup With Rice" and a telling of "Stone Soup"
Tricia
What a fun journey through a little girl's experience making soup with her mother. Bright and fun illustrations transport the reader into the story--we could almost smell the soup! Includes recipe for the soup at the end of the book. Might be a fun combo with "Ugly Vegetables", another title we enjoyed about making soup.
Serena
Where's the beef? This was a sweet book about a child helping their mother make the soup. They did all sorts of fun things while waiting on the soup to finish like playing pretend. At the end of the book is a recipe for Snowy Day Vegetable Soup. This really made me hungry and if it wasn't so hot outside I'd get soup.
Maddypictures
Multi-media collage illustrations depict a happy little girl's day and the soup she makes with her Mommy on a wintry day in the city. This is a nice multicultural family and plenty of concepts such as counting or shapes are included throughout. The story is appended with a recipe for soup.
Amanda
Couldn't believe my "I don't like soup" 5 yr old would ask for soup after reading this book. Mission accomplished! Too bad I didn't have any alphabet pasta on hand or it would've been a slam dunk! Very nice, easy book about making a soup step by step with recipe included.
Jean-Marie
It's soup day! A girl and her mom shop for fresh ingredients, chop them up and make some soup. While they wait for the soup to cook they have lots of fun bonding and playing. A great read if you are thinking about making some fresh, homemade soup with a little one.
Ada
Wonderful and sweet story about a mother and child making soup together. Story doesn't leave out the waiting parts - while the soup is cooking there is time for imaginative play. Very low-key gentle story about the sweet precious times we can have with our children.
Amy
A nice book about making soup, playing, and putting away. I like the details about picking out ingredients, chopping the vegetables into different shapes and picking a style of pasta. A good book to get kids involved in cooking.
Susan
A terrific book about a mom and a daughter making soup on a snowy winter day - captures all the coziness of a day at home with play and cooking and parent/child interaction. Includes recipe for Snowy Day Vegetable Soup.
Janae
My 22 month old could relate to this book because he helps me make soup. It goes through the steps, involves some counting and is a simple, well-written book for toddlers.
Janet
This one was boring, very little imagination in this title. It was good to see the Mother and child interacting while they waaited for the soup to cook.
Danica Midlil
I think this would be great accompanied by flannel shapes of the vegetables. Love the recipe at the end. You can make soup too!
Emerson School  Library
2nd grade - 10/2010 - supports "how to" writing prompt very well
sweet story would work for lower grades as well
Dianna
I love books like this that inspire me to be a better, more attentive parent.
Natasha
A nice little winter/cooking story to share with the toddler/preschool crowd.
Bridgid
A step by step of making soup! Wonderful images and story, very realistic
Nancy Jo Lambert
I will review this one on my blog! Love the soup recipe in the back!
Theda
A little girl helps her mom make soup. Includes recipe!
Megan
Cute book Lilli loved it!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Truck Stop Night Shift Daddy Hush, Little Monster Good Night Engines Wake Up Engines