Start by marking “Flaming Dove” as Want to Read:
Flaming Dove

Flaming Dove

The battle of Armageddon was finally fought... and ended with no clear victor. Upon the mountain, the armies of Hell and Heaven beat each other into a bloody, uneasy standstill, leaving the Earth in ruins. Armageddon should have ended with Heaven winning, ushering in an era of peace. That's what the prophecies said. Instead, the two armies--one of angels, one of demons--hu ...more
Published August 19th 2010

To ask other readers questions about Flaming Dove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flaming Dove

E.J. Stevens
Laila is born of angel and demon, her mixed blood a curse that bars her from both Heaven and Hell, so she must fight for the one place she calls home...earth. Flaming Dove is an action packed urban fantasy that dares to challenge the reader to question the traditional roles of good and evil. The apocalypse has come and gone, but the war between Heaven and Hell continues. Earth is a wasteland where angels and demons slaughter each other with no regard for human life. Heaven and Hell are deadlocke ...more
Debra Martin
Oct 28, 2010 Debra Martin rated it really liked it
Armageddon. Angels vs. Demons. Good vs. Evil. These are the themes in the author’s new book, “Flaming Dove.” But, for me, the book was much more than these larger-than-life themes. I found the relationships especially those of Laila, the half-angel, half-demon, had with Beezlebub, Michael, Bat-El and even Zarel, The Demon Queen, were what propelled the book forward and kept me turning the pages. Mr. Arenson did a magnificent job in portraying Laila – her wants and desires, her sorrow and ultimat ...more
Luis L
Nov 11, 2010 Luis L rated it it was amazing
This was an absolutely fantastic book. I really really enjoyed it. I loved it so much I kept quoting it to my wife. Beelzebub was one of my favorite characters. He had so many different personalities, with trying to be romantic, sweet, mean, funny. He was awesome. The book was pretty much non-stop action with a few flashbacks about the characters, but it never slowed down the pace of the main story line. The ending caught me by surprise as well. I never expected it to end the way I did.

I always
Alice Yeh
Nov 03, 2010 Alice Yeh rated it liked it
In Flaming Dove, Arenson weaves an absorbing tale of the ultimate example of internal conflict: a being part angel, part demon, and fully belonging nowhere. In her quest for a home, she becomes caught up in the ongoing battle between Heaven and Hell for dominion over the Earth, knowing that a win from either side would lead to her death. He places his heroine in quite the predicament!

Laila rises to the task admirably, causing the reader to root for her despite the impossibility of her goals. The
Purr More
Angels vs. Demons Smackdown! Armageddon has taken place--now the fight continues and the winner takes Earth. Enter Laila, half-demon and half-angel. She cannot live in either Heaven or Hell. In Heaven the godlight burns her demon half and in Hell the hellfire burns her angel half. She is exiled to Earth where she is alone except for her constant companion, a wolf named Volksfair. If Heaven wins then the Earth will be filled with godlight. If Hell wins then the Earth will be filled with Hellfire. ...more
Wyrdness
I guess this was okay. It was quite interesting and/ or fun in places, and it was interesting to view an Armageddon story from the viewpoint of the angels and demons for a change instead of the typical human-centric focus, but overall it didn't really hook me. I'm not sure how much of that is just me being my usual difficult to please self (I have ridiculously high standards. Some of my favourite authors still only get 3 star reviews!) and how much was that the story itself seemed quite simplist ...more
Lauren Burd
Dec 10, 2010 Lauren Burd rated it really liked it
Laila’s blood wars within her. Her mother an angel and her father a demon, she wanders the earth after Armageddon has arrived. Both factions seek her assistance in ending the stalemate between heaven and hell. All she seeks is a place to belong.

I was torn between giving the book 3 or 4 stars. I wish you could give a 1/2 star. For me this story is a sad one. Laila is a tragic character and very well written. The plot is a new take on the very old story of Armageddon. Even the devil gets a makeove
Dawn Judd
Sep 08, 2010 Dawn Judd rated it it was amazing
There are good books. There are really good books. And then there are the books you can't tear yourself away from. This is one of those books. Daniel's descriptions so vivid and alive that you feel like you're right there. I loved it from the first few sentences and enjoyed it to the end. There are very few books that can hold your attention through every single word, but this one can. It is an amazing story that I plan on reading again and again.
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Sep 25, 2010 Shelleyrae at Book'd Out rated it liked it
Recommended to Shelleyrae by: Daniel Arenson
Flaming Dove is a dark fantasy that pits angels against demons in the battle for supremacy on earth. However as the battle rages, the distinction between good and evil blurs, epitomised by the dual nature of Leila, a half angel, half demon. After twenty seven years, weary from the unforgiving conflict, both sides hope that Leila will deliver them victory.
Banished from God's grace and abandoned by Hell, Leila searches for a place to call home among the wasteland that is Earth. Leila's bleak and l
Misty Baker
Jan 05, 2012 Misty Baker rated it it was amazing
When I was a teenager I was fascinated by angels. Not the puffy-winged-halo-sporting type, more the Archangel-wrath-of-God type. The fact that there was a whole army of sword wielding higher beings blew my mind. The more I read, the more I needed to read, and before I knew it I was knee deep in biblical reference material and spouting angelic tales to any poor soul that would listen. Now… like every other one of my unique (and sometimes warped fascinations) my futile need for warrior-angel infor ...more
Gaby
Nov 07, 2010 Gaby rated it really liked it
Posted at http://oh-my-books.blogspot.com/2010/...

The Armageddon has taken place, and now angels and demons are fighting for the Earth.

In the middle of this fight is Laila, the half angel, half demon. Her only place to live is Earth, since the light at Heaven or the hellfire at Hell would burn her.

Laila was an intriguing character. Since the begging of her story, we know she isn't interested in this war. It doesn't matter to her who wins, since she would still die. She only cares for her wolf,
Tracey Alley
Aug 27, 2010 Tracey Alley rated it liked it
Daniel Arenson has written a really unique and quite entertaining book. As a Christian, even if a slightly esoteric Christian, I found some of Daniel's characters a little hard to identify with and make that wholehearted connection so necessary to really enjoy a novel. His angels are flawed and conflicted, his demons are not all that bad. Take out the Christian element of it and you're left with a very exciting, page-turner that is well worth reading. His fluency and pace are quite amazing and f ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Rating 4.5/5.0 stars.

For a full review, check the Bitten by Books website: http://www.bittenbybooks.com/
Daniel Arenson
Aug 26, 2010 Daniel Arenson added it  ·  (Review from the author)
My dark fantasy novel. I hope you enjoy it! You can learn more about Flaming Dove at DanielArenson.com.
Feb 05, 2011 Laura rated it did not like it
Caleb Blake
Apr 19, 2011 Caleb Blake rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
I wanted to like this book and as a story it was brimming with promise. It's for that reason alone that it's attracted a 3 star rating from me; afterall - it's the story I usually sign up for.

This is a post-armageddon novel following the ongoing and bloody war between angels and demons for supremacy of the earth. Laila, half-demon and half-angel, becomes the pivotal pawn in a battle between two angels who are also brothers: Michael, leader of the angellic hosts and Beelzebub, fallen angel and ru
Juli Rahel
Aug 03, 2012 Juli Rahel rated it really liked it
This has to be one of the most original story's I have read. The idea's not only great, but also well executed. Laila is a half-angel/half-demon, born after Armageddon. During Armageddon the human race became largely extinct and angels and demons battled it out in Jerusalem, Israel. Being a half-demon Laila can't live in Heaven with the Angels, but because she's a half-angel as well she can't live in Hell.

At the beginning of the book Laila returns to Jerusalem, where both Heaven and Hell are try
Linda
Jul 22, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
This review was originally posted on Big Al's Books and Pals review blog on 06/28/2012.

The first character we are introduced to is Nathaniel. He is a jaded and gritty angel who had lost his wings and an eye fighting an arch-demon during the battle of Armageddon. He was my favorite angel and he drew me in. This story though is about Laila, both forces of Heaven and Hell think having Laila on their team will finally turn the tide in their favor.

When Laila returns to Jerusalem and finally chooses a
Natasha Larry
Mar 06, 2011 Natasha Larry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author and as soon as I downloaded the image for this cover I was blown away. I could waste an entire review just on this cover. This is-hands down-the best e-book cover I've ever seen in my life. I should stop, because we all know you judge books by the cover, but I'll give a quick peek-a-boo before you go and nab it.

The first thing I have to say about Daniel Arenson's writing, is his style stands out above all else. Some writers restrict th
Adam
Jun 23, 2014 Adam rated it it was ok
I wish there was a 1.5 star rating, for "meh". I can't give this a 1-star, because I can't say I didn't like the book. I finished it, and there were parts that I liked, especially in the way the story treated the lesser, third tier characters. (Sidebar: I would read a series about Nathaniel and the Wrecking Balls, as long as it fits the Glen-Cook's-"Black Company"-but-with-angels that I've half written in my head.)

Having said that, Laila (the protagonist), and this book in general, reads like th
Cheryl M-M
Jan 14, 2014 Cheryl M-M rated it really liked it
If all the Fallen Angels are brothers then doesn't that make the daughters and sons of said angels relatives of all the other angels. So technically that makes Beelzebub an uncle to the half-sisters Bet-al and Laila. That makes all the seducing of very young girls just ever so slightly incestuous and Beelzebub a little less of a charming seducer.
The concept was quite interesting but the story suffered a little from repetitive phrases and the superb battle between the evil and good forces was ove
R. Wheeler
Mar 06, 2013 R. Wheeler rated it it was amazing
I must state up front, that as a writer, I am a much more critical reviewer than any casual reader. And, because I'm not a regular reader of this genre, I can't say it is a five star per MY tastes…but I am certain a reader of epic or dark fantasy will agree this is a five star work.

Preamble stated to be fair. Now I'll rate per my normal thought process.

Setting (4 stars) The reader will smell the brimstone and fire, sense the decay and rot, visualize in the sky the black, bat-winged demons, and t
Tobyann Aparisi
Dec 16, 2010 Tobyann Aparisi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any one that loves a good vs evil story
Recommended to Tobyann by: first reads
I won this book in the good reads/first reads give away. This is the first book in a while that really had me fully absorbed. I love the thought of this book. Angels fighting demons. Then along comes a character we would not expect and she is strong, beautiful, tormented, loving, a soldier, and a fighter for man and wolf. This was an amazing read and every step of the way it was fun, exciting and riveting. The characters are well put together that you feel invested in them and can imagine their ...more
Blodeuedd Finland
Mar 05, 2012 Blodeuedd Finland rated it liked it
Shelves: apocalyptic
I am a bit torn really, I really liked the book, but the thing is, I hated the end. I am sure many will say, but the end was perfect! Just as it should be. Well not in this girl's book. It made me sad and angry.

The world was just, wow, so cool. Earth is almost destroyed, almost no humans around as they are all dead. Instead demons and angels fight each other in a war going on 27 years. I liked the world, the angels, the demons. All strength and weaknesses.

The main character Laila is both and ca
Anna Penwick
Catherine Vickers
Oct 28, 2015 Catherine Vickers rated it it was amazing
It is not often a book stirs my emotions to such an extent as tears, but this one did it. I loved this book.

The characters carried the plot through, and I easily related to each of their individual plights, all with emotional ups and downs. We have a nice romance in the background, battles, and confused emotions galore, even in angels and devils. At the end of the day, they're just like we puny humans.

Why did I go the whole hog of 5 stars? Because this book did it for me, gave me entertainment
Dave Poll
Feb 07, 2017 Dave Poll rated it liked it
I gave this book a 3 star rating because it was a half way decent read. It was in a bundle of 6 books labelled as dystopian sci-fi of which it is neither, it could better be described as an Armageddionish fantasy.
I'm sure Armageddionish isn't a word but that's the closest I could come to describing it.
Jessica
I thought there was a lot of potential with this world, but there were too many points where the narration felt like it dragged a bit. I was also tripped up a couple times by seeing the same phrase or way of describing things multiple times, which made the descriptions feel a little stunted.

Depth was given to all the characters but the dialogue started to feel a little heavy-handed and dragged out. Honestly, I think this book has amazing potential. I think that if the editor had been a little m
Traci Loudin
If you like stories based on Christian mythology (angels vs. demons style), this is the book for you. Unfortunately for me, I was hoping to see more of the post-apocalyptic aspect, but the human world was very much the backdrop for epic battles between angels and demons and never came into the forefront as far as I saw. The plot also seemed slow to progress, as the main viewpoint character was lacking in drive for most of the book.
Frakki Karu
Jun 05, 2015 Frakki Karu rated it it was ok
I don't understand why an author would say the exact same thing twenty times over. If heaven wins, godlight kills her. If hell wins, hellfire kills her. This is not a hard concept to grasp. And this is just one of the points made over and over and over again.

If the redundancy was pulled from the dialogue, I would really like this book. It was maddening.
  • Shadows of Myth and Legend
  • Soul in Love
  • Devil's Hand (Drawing Thin, #1)
  • Dayling
  • Black Dog and Rebel Rose
  • The Fall (The Rift #1)
  • Enchanted Darkly
  • Dante's Journey
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • The Hunted of 2060 (Shifter Evolutions #5)
  • Silverweed: A Supernatural Fairy Tale (Volume 1)
  • On the Soul of a Vampire (On the Soul, #1)
  • Angel Fire (Fallen Angels, #1)
  • Manchester House
  • Wanted Undead or Alive: Vampire Hunters and Other Kick-Ass Enemies of Evil
  • Rebellion: The Outer Territory (Day of Sacrifice, #2)
  • Lifeblood
  • The Stasis (Powerless #3)
Daniel Arenson is a bookworm, proud geek, and USA Today bestselling author of fantasy and science fiction. His novels have sold over a million copies. The Huffington Post has called his writing "full of soul." He's written over forty novels, most of them in five series:

EARTHRISE — They came from deep space. They came to destroy us. Against the alien onslaught, Earth stands alone. But we will figh
More about Daniel Arenson...

“I am Laila, of the night. I have walked through godlight and through darkness. I have fought demons and I have slain angels. I am Laila, of the shadows. I have hidden and run, and I have stood up and striven. I am Laila, of tears and blood, of sins and of piety. I am Laila, outcast from Hell, banished from Heaven. I am alone, in darkness. I am Laila, of light and of fire. I am fallen. I rise again.” 7 likes