Start by marking “Eating an Artichoke: A Mother's Perspective on Asperger Syndrome” as Want to Read:
Eating an Artichoke: A Mother's Perspective on Asperger Syndrome

Eating an Artichoke: A Mother's Perspective on Asperger Syndrome

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  13 reviews
During a routine parent-teacher conference in November 1991, Echo Fling was told by her son's teacher that his behaviour in class was 'not normal'. After two years at the pre-school, five-year-old Jimmy had failed to make any friends, had recently started to act aggressively towards his classmates, and was beginning to react violently to any changes in his routine. Echo wa ...more
Published February 1st 2000 by Jessica Kingsley Pub (first published January 15th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Eating an Artichoke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eating an Artichoke

The Bell Jar by Sylvia PlathThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonGirl, Interrupted by Susanna KaysenThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
The Mind
308th out of 366 books — 431 voters

More lists with this book...

Georgia
A parents first hand account of recognizing and raising a child with autism. A sensitive and insightful read; we come to understand what the mother, and family, must endure from health care professionals and society, and grow along with them.
Beth
I reserved this book months ago. When there was still a question of my son having Aspergers. Due to some mix-up at the library it's been close to a year and I just got it. And although we now know this isn't my son, it was still a good read. And confirms that a mother needs to do two things. Follow her instinct and NOT go into denial. If you suspect a problem, investigate. There was also some good information that does help me understand some of the auditory issues we do have with my son.
Rachel
Sep 11, 2010 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
This was a really interesting and well written memoir about a Mother's journey to find out why her son was so offbeat. After years and years of doctors and debates, they finally received a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome, which enhanced her understanding of her son, but also rocked her world because it's not anything that can be "cured". Lots to take away from this memoir, and I enjoyed reading the mention of West Michigan's own Gray Center.
Sep 12, 2010 Jennifer rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bekah
Recommended to Jennifer by: my mom
This was pretty interesting. It's not as much about Asperger Syndrome as it is about being a mom dealing with the "medical merry-go-round," schools, and trying to do your best for your children. Many of the feelings and struggles she describes are the same I have as a mother, and I don't have a disabled child.
And I did learn some things about Asperger Syndrome that I hadn't known before, so that was interesting too.
Rebekah M.
It's not the AS that I fear. It's the public eye, finding the right learning environments, and learning to cope with the disability. I began to love Jimmy while reading this; what a brave and tender soul he has. I love that his mother followed her gut and did ALL she could for him, even when she felt alone. She is living a life of sacrifice and reaching out to others with similar situations.
Belinda jones
i am really loving this book so far. Having a son who has also been diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome i find it to be so insightful in its content.. i felt like it was looking back on our own story in a lot of ways. Definately a book for people who know someone with Aspergers..definately helps a lot in understanding what the family is going through.
Virginia
A mother weaves her son's story of his behavior, misdiagnoses, special programs, and ultimately diagnosis of Asperger's. Truly insightful and helpful to anyone who might want to better understand or work with an Asperger's child or adult.
Jobiska (Cindy)
Good...somehow, having a kid with some interesting NVLD quirks but not exactly Asperger's, it often helps me *more* to read other's anecdotal tales of coping than it does to read dry textbook approaches, no matter how scientific!
Meredith
Oct 26, 2008 Meredith rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Families and friends of people with Aspergers and high-functioning Autism
Shelves: non-fiction, adult
Well-written and interesting. I picked this one up off of the dump cart on afternoon and kind of got sucked in. I don't really know anyone with Asperger's but I suppose if I ever do, I'll know how to behave around them now.
Susan Duggins
First book I ever checked out from the library when Jessika was diagnosed with autism. Great light read for new moms of children diagnosed on the ASD.
Aurora
One mom's stories about raising her special-needs child. Nicely written, compassionate and supportive read for anyone with an Aspie in their life.
Cynthia
You read books like this searching for answers. I'm not sure I found any, but I'm glad Mrs. Fling shared her family's experience.
A Full Bookshelf

Totally and completely relatable.
Terrie
Terrie marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Mallory
Mallory marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Susan Hamel
Susan Hamel marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Jessi
Jessi marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Olivia Malik
Olivia Malik marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Amy Ferree
Amy Ferree marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Bruce
Bruce marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014