Start by marking “Secret Six, Vol. 3: Danse Macabre” as Want to Read:
Secret Six, Vol. 3: Danse Macabre

Secret Six, Vol. 3: Danse Macabre (Secret Six #3)

John Ostrander, the co-creator of the SUICIDE SQUAD, teams with fan-favorite writer Gail Simone for this epic team-up between the SECRET SIX and the SUICIDE SQUAD. Amanda Waller and her Suicide Squad capture Deadshot to try to force him to rejoin their ranks, but his current teammates in the Secret Six don't see that happening any time soon. As the two groups begin to go ...more
128 pages
Published December 1st 2010 by DC Comics (first published October 12th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Secret Six, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Six, Vol. 3

Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1 by G. Willow WilsonSaga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanMs. Marvel, Vol. 2 by G. Willow WilsonSaga, Volume 2 by Brian K. VaughanMs. Marvel, Vol. 3 by G. Willow Wilson
Diverse Heroes in Comics/Graphic Novels
111th out of 142 books — 20 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreSaga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreLocke & Key, Vol. 1 by Joe HillBatman by Frank Miller
Greatest Graphic Novels
228th out of 259 books — 121 voters

More lists with this book...

Brad
Jan 02, 2016 Brad rated it liked it
Suicide Squad? Maybe I haven't read or seen enough of them to get too excited. The story was decent, especially when matched against the Secret Six (also a group I'm meh about.)

I'm reading to make sure I don't miss one moment of the Blackest Night, but at least there's the dead! Dead, dead, dead, we'll all wind up dead....
Sesana
Jun 10, 2014 Sesana rated it liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
Not as good, or as much fun, as the previous volumes. The Blackest Night stuff was ok. Don't get me wrong, I loved Blackest Night, at least the main issues. But it just doesn't work as well here. There's also the Black Alice character. I didn't much care for her in Birds of Prey, and I don't much care for her here. I know that we're probably stuck with her for awhile longer, but I'd like to see her at least get pushed to the side. Still, some good moments, mostly involving Bane and Scandal, and ...more
Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 Kurt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This volume of Secret Six has been the most tied to the larger DC Universe, I think, which explains why I found it fairly disappointing. I love the characters in this team, but I'm otherwise unfamiliar with the Suicide Squad (who have their purpose explained in the book, but I don't think we get the names of each of the members - who is the guy wearing a giant tiger head?)(and yes, guys wearing giant tiger heads is one of the reasons that I don't care about the DC Universe in general, and I know ...more
The Library Ladies
May 27, 2016 The Library Ladies rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
(originally reviewed at thelibraryladies.com )

One of my bigger apprehensions about getting into a long series or comic arc is that the story lines will start to lose their sustainability. Sadly, this has started to happen for me and the Secret Six. The good news is that it is still a very strong comic, and I’m hoping that it just had a little hiccup. But I want to talk positives first. It was really neat to see Amanda Waller show up in this arc. For those who may not know (but many of you may k
Marc Lucke
Jun 05, 2016 Marc Lucke rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction

Danse Macabre opens with "Control", a one-shot tale from guest writer John Ostrander about Deadshot's internal struggle to maintain his self-control in the face of mushrooming traumas and self-loathing. The whole thing is a bit on the nose, but it works. Deadshot has always been a fun character to read, with his seductive blend of morbid sang-froid, languid charm and gallows humour; this tidy little story scrapes away some of the patina and lets us see what festers under the chrome mask.

"The Rab

Anchorpete
Jul 05, 2016 Anchorpete rated it liked it
Oh man, look at that cover, with Deadshot. That is beautiful.

I have only read a handful of stories featuring the Suicide Squad. Most of them have featured the New 52 version of the team, and unfortunately it falls into the rather large percentage of new 52 books which were both directionless and generic.
This is the first book I have read that has featured the Pre-New 52 version of the squad. It was nice to see them go head to head with the members of the Secret Six, a team I have followed sinc
***Dave Hill
Jul 13, 2014 ***Dave Hill rated it liked it
Shelves: illustrated
The tale of the Secret Six continues, here entangled as opponents, then (of course) as unwilling allies, of the Suicide Squad, a tonally similar DC book of the era, and joining Gail Simone and John Ostrander in a most satisfying fashion.

That makes for too many characters, to be honest, and the nature of the "Opposing teams fight each other, then fight a common enemy" plotline is so hackneyed that even the twist of it all being villains, and all with a common tie back to the amazing Amanda Waller
ElphabaNewlin
Sadly, DANSE MACABRE has been the weakest of the SECRET SIX collections that I've read so far, but that isn't really through any fault of Simone or the comic itself. The issue is that a good chunk of this collection had to do with the 'Darkest Night' storyline that DC did, in which the Black Lanterns come in and start messing things up within the whole universe. Since I am not at all familiar with that storyline, I was a bit lost. I'm also bummed by the team schism that has taken place. It isn't ...more
Kelsey
Aug 26, 2012 Kelsey rated it really liked it
Too much Suicide Squad and not enough Secret Six for my taste, hence the 4 and not 5-star rating. It's still an excellent addition to the S6 collection, but the ties to the larger DC universe seemed to bog it down a bit.

I highly enjoyed the Deadshot one-shot, even though he's my least favorite of the Six (out of Scandal, Catman, Bane, Jeanette, and Ragdoll- it's like saying a certain type of chocolate is your least-favorite chocolate, out of your favorite chocolates). I also remain cautiously o
Danielle Bahr Barbosa
Aug 17, 2016 Danielle Bahr Barbosa rated it it was ok
I feel like nothing really happened in this volume. The story is boring and many parts were extremely unnecessary and predictable. I really like Bane and Scandal Savage's friendship, but I think sometimes it's TOO exaggerated and tiring. I mean, I know Bane wants to protect Scandal, but it gets really annoying when he bosses her in a fatherly tone.

Although it was nice to know a little more about Deadshot and his backstory, I'd skip this volume to the next and still wouldn't make much difference
Sonic
Sep 04, 2011 Sonic rated it liked it
Did not find this one to be as strong as the other books in the series.
Shared writing credit is not often a good sign.
Though I loved John Ostrander back in his Grim Jack books, here the "collaboration" with Gail Simone seems forced
or perhaps it was the result of stretched circumstances.
This book also seem like it had the whole "Black Lantern" saga thrust upon it. That part of it was confusing, muddled and not as amusing as Gail Simone seems to be in the other books when she is left on her ow
Shannon Appelcline
Aug 30, 2012 Shannon Appelcline rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-dc
A rather disappointing volume of Secret Six. John Ostrander's intro story on Deadshot is quite good, but totally at odds with both the style and the plot of Secret Six. After that, the Suicide Squad crossover and the Black Night crossover both totally derail Secret Six’s plot and turn everything into a long series of punches. The only redeeming factor is that Simone’s humorous approach to the Six occasionally bubbles up despite all the other issues.
M
Aug 29, 2014 M rated it really liked it
For a someone like Deadshot, the arrival of the Blackest Night brings back more than a few old faces! The Six find themselves falling apart after trying to stay together; Bane is forcibly taking command, Black Alice has inserted herself into the squad, and Ragdoll continues to be disturbingly hilarious. As the resurrected zombie Black Lanterns set out to make everyone's life miserable, loyalties are questions and tensions mount. Another great run from a team of grey-areas!
Jeremy DeBottis
Dec 03, 2014 Jeremy DeBottis rated it liked it
A small step back from the first two volumes. I guess I just get annoyed when a story gets forced into the middle of something that seems to be doing well on its own. To me that happens with all crossover events, and this falls victim as well. I like the introduction of Black Alice, but just don't expect this to be as fun as the first two volumes.
Iain
Jul 24, 2013 Iain rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Too brief and a bit disjointed in places: the Black Lantern tie-in stuff seriously hinders the writing. Best bit by far is the two-hander by Ostrander with Deadshot and Reverend (formerly Father) Craemer. It's short but powerful. It does, however, tend to highlight some inconsistencies in Deadshot's 'voice' between Simone and Ostrander. Still, overall a fun read.
Eric Mikols
Jun 23, 2012 Eric Mikols rated it really liked it
Shelves: villains
I love this series. Catman and Deadshot are great together, and I love how Gail Simone is writing Bane. There's a level of crazy you can't fake in this series, and the team is always one bullet away from complete ruin. I liked seeing the Suicide Squad, but the stuff with the Secret Six is the real performance. The dialogue is crisp and hilarious, and the action is some brutal stuff. Love it.
Seth
Jun 05, 2015 Seth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Another good installment but not as good as the first two volumes. I really do enjoy the team and the witty repartee that happens between them, but the story just wasn't as good this time. I will say I gave this volume 4 stars instead of 3 strictly based on the conversation Bane has with Scandal Savage's new love interest. His roll as her protector appeals to me.
Alan
Jan 30, 2011 Alan rated it really liked it
Gail Simone makes the interaction among this group of anti-heroes/villains fun. There may not have been a lot of character development, excluding a guest spot written by John Ostrander about Floyd Lawton, but there is fun here and sometimes fun is what I am looking for.
Sara
Feb 25, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this volume, although to be fair I accidentally read it second not third, so anyway the point is it didn't really dampen my enjoyment. (view spoiler)
Angela
Mar 11, 2013 Angela rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, dc
This is a tie-in to Blackest Night. You may need to be familiar with the storyline to really enjoy this book. The team have a new member that they can't really say no to 'Black Alice'. Some fun character stuff, but this is mainly an action orientated book with lots of fights. A good read.
Feather Mista
Si me pusiera en forro, podría decir que esperaba mucho más de unos comics escritos por Ostrander y Simone. Si me pusiera en benevolente, podría decir que está bastante mejor que el comic de superhéroes promedio. Si me pusiera autoexigente, ni debería escribiría esta review.
Todd
This loses a star for being tied in to Blackest Night. This book works best when only slightly attached to the grander DC universe.

This volume makes me want to check out the Suicide Squad. More so than anything I've seen about the movie so far.
Kayenne
Dec 16, 2010 Kayenne rated it really liked it
i love gail simone's writing. I love when there are comic books focusing on villains.
the writing is great and there are dykes.
Andrew
Jan 24, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
In this vol you see deadshot as the main story piece and it makes for a interesting read in that his old team wants him back and they don't really know how to take no for an answer.
Marcus
Mar 17, 2011 Marcus rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
A mostly-tie-in to Blackest Night. Nothing too great here, aside from the opening chapter that focuses on Deadshot.
Chris Willhite
Chris Willhite rated it it was ok
Jun 07, 2014
Meghan Wilson
Meghan Wilson rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2011
Anita
Anita rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2016
Rodel Pontanares
Rodel Pontanares rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2014
Soraya
Soraya rated it it was ok
Jul 30, 2013
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 2: Road Trip
  • Brightest Day, Vol. 2
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 2: Old Friends, New Enemies
  • Batwoman, Vol. 3: World's Finest
Gail Simone is a comic book writer well-known for her work on Birds of Prey (DC), Wonder Woman (DC), and Deadpool (Marvel), among others, and has also written humorous and critical commentary on comics and the comics industry such as the original "Women in Refrigerators" website and a regular column called "You'll All Be Sorry".
More about Gail Simone...

Secret Six (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Villains United