Start by marking “A Good Keen Man” as Want to Read:
A Good Keen Man

Barry Crump

A Good Keen Man

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Published (first published 1960)

TROLL
I read this book because:it is written by a New Zealander. It is also all about hunting which I am very interested in.

The category on the bingo board that this book fills is a book written by a NZer.

I found Harry very interesting because he thinks something new and he tries it he doesn't just sit their thinking about it he gets out there and does it and he is also very funny.like one time he made this explosive fitted with bullets.(So you could just lob the thing/grenade into a small mob of dee
George Anders
Good fun.

There are two paths into this book -- and both of them work. A Good Keen Man is a classic "coming-of-age story," in which an able-bodied but naive New Zealand teenager takes one of his first adult jobs, culling deer herds in the wilderness so that animal overpopulation won't destroy the local ecosystems. Barry Crump rides the ups-and-downs of this odd job as best he can, growing up in the process and sharing wry, wistful comments about it all.

I came into this book interested in anythin
Linda
Classic Crump, Grab a copy, a dog and your sleeping bag. Then you are off to the backblocks of New Zealand, when blokes were blokes.
Written as Crump talks, it makes you wonder how much actually happened or how much was thought up sitting around the fire after a hunting trip and a few too many beers.
Les
A great read from a great Kiwi author. Tells the story of a bloke's adventures as a contract deer culler in New Zealand. Highly recommended.
Tegan
A New Zealand parallel to Australia's "A Fortunate Life".
Nicola
An easy read of some tall tales set in the NZ bush.
Tim
This book has sat on my shelf for years as it just didn't appeal.
How wrong I was! Written in a simple honest style these memoirs of the authors days as a deer culler in New Zealand are full of humour and observations about human nature. I'm not sure it would appeal to those who feel strongly about animal rights as it was written in a time when the government employed men such as Barry Crump to go out into the bush and basically shoot as many deer, goats and pigs as possible in order to maintain
Nathan
A thinly-disguised memoir of a postwar deer hunter. Inhabited by a rogues gallery of walk-in characters and told in a chatty, convivial manner (it helps if you know Crump's speaking voice) this was a quick fly-through. Rated PG. 3.5/5
Andrea
My daughter brought this book home from New Zealand as a gift for my father-in-law, who read it in one sitting and insisted that I read it immediately. It takes a while to get into it, but after a while it starts to grow on you.
Robert Newell
My favourite book of all time. Full of superb stories about life as a hunter in the wild NZ bush back in the 60's. Really well written and funny, Crump at his best
Jared Gulian
Fantastic. A gentle, rolling humor. Really interesting to learn about the life of a deer culler. Beautiful landscape writing. Felt like I was out there with him.
Caleb
Really enjoyable piece of kiwi culture. Makes you want to get a dog and wander into the bush.
Benn Jamieson
Interesting take on old 1950's NZ.
McNatty
Got the feeling he merely rewrote his diary while in the bush
Robbie Pomare
Robbie Pomare marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Don
Don added it
Jul 01, 2015
Rhys Poingdestre
Rhys Poingdestre marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Robert Sullivan
Robert Sullivan marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
New Zealand author of semi-autobiographical comic novels based on his image as a rugged outdoors man.
More about Barry Crump...
Wild Pork And Watercress Bastards I have met Hang On A Minute Mate A Good Keen Girl Gold and Greenstone