Start by marking “Ten Stories about Smoking” as Want to Read:
Ten Stories about Smoking

Ten Stories about Smoking

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  148 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Ten stories of allure, betrayal, nostalgia, solitude, seduction, damage, desire and loss; of silence broken by the click of a lighter; insomnia defined by a glowing ember; a magician's trick; a lover's scent; a final wish. These are stories that go to the heart of things.
Published March 1st 2011 by Picador USA

To ask other readers questions about Ten Stories about Smoking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Stories about Smoking

Alan
Jun 21, 2011 Alan rated it really liked it
couldn't resist this - it is packaged like a packet of fags (cigarettes, US people) and when you take the book out it has filter tips etc. Take that, Kindle!

evers1

evers2

..Ok, a bit of a gimmick, but this bloke can write. All the stories feature smoking - the last one is about Raymond Carver's final cigarette. That's one of the weaker ones (I felt) but there are four or five very fine pieces here, I was taken with them. I started with the shortest 'What's in Swindon?' (that's already funny to English peop
Neil Schiller
Jan 29, 2011 Neil Schiller rated it it was amazing
I received this book this morning and have just finished it, spending all day reading (something I haven't done in about 10 years). What a great collection this is. Evers obviously understands the short story form extremely well and the result is a set of stories that sit in the same bracket as the likes of Raymond Carver, Richard Yates, Denis Johnson, Sam Shepard etc.

I have to admit, as a divorced thirty something with a lingering smoking habit and an interest in quality contemporary literature
Marcus Gipps
Aug 24, 2010 Marcus Gipps rated it really liked it
I’m not a huge short story fan, to be honest. Or, to be more honest, I’m not a huge fan of single-author collections of short stories. I know they tend not to do very well – it’s the perennial cry of the sales rep, “I know they’re difficult to sell, but this collection will be different” – but that isn’t my problem with them. My problem is, I think, that the stories blur into each other. No matter how good the author is, no matter how skilled they are at writing in different voices, my brain is ...more
Tim Love
Nov 29, 2015 Tim Love rated it really liked it
On the back cover it says that Alice Munro echoes throughout (I couldn't see it) and that the stories contain "Writing sequined with sparkling descriptions" and are "Brilliantly restrained". They "find dignity in quiet lives and beauty in dark corners". The main character is usually much the most thoughtful and literate one in each story. There are many break-ups and house-movings. There's excellent use of smoking.

In "Some Great Project" a newly orphaned man finds comfort in organising family ph
Anne-Marie
Dec 01, 2015 Anne-Marie rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-club
A book club read. I dreaded reading it, I read it. It's done. One story was particularly distressing so I skimmed it: Real Work. Otherwise, felt like I'd been dipped in a well used ashtray.
Alastair
Jan 21, 2016 Alastair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charlotte
I must declare an interest here - the only reason I picked up this book in the first place is because the author is a friend of my cousin. It was particularly nice to read the acknowledgements at the back and see my cousin's name (plus my former boss, but we won't mention that!)

Having said that, I felt that the short stories within this book were well-written and enthralling. Evers tried several different styles of writing, most notably playing with the person-narrative - in one case using the 2
Rene Ijzermans
Apr 02, 2013 Rene Ijzermans rated it really liked it
Hoewel het korte verhaal niet mijn genre is en dit dan ook zelden lees, werd ik verlokt door een lovende recensie, nu zo'n jaar terug. Daar kwam bij dat de boektitel me zeker ook aansprak. Want, wat heeft deze Stuart Evers over sigaretten te melden? Wel, er wordt overal terloops gepaft, en er wordt niet moeilijk over gedaan.
De verhalen verrasten me door de kracht ervan. Stuart weet in een paar pennenstreken een sfeer neer te zetten. Buitengewoon knap hoe weinig woorden hij nodig heeft om mij al
David Hebblethwaite
Aug 03, 2011 David Hebblethwaite rated it really liked it
The saying goes that one shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, but it would seem wrong not to mention the design of Ten Stories About Smoking, which comes in a flip-top box that looks like a cigarette packet, with the cover of the volume itself as the ‘cigarettes’. It’s a brilliant piece of work that really enhances the reading experience, and I take my hat off to the designers, Two Associates.

Of course, as good as the design may be, what counts the most is the quality of the stories; I’m pleased
Anne
Mar 20, 2011 Anne rated it liked it
Short stories are not my favourite form of reading, but I'd heard lots about this collection and wanted to give it a go. The packaging on it's own makes the book stand out from the shelves and is very clever of the publisher. It's marketed in a cardboard carton that looks like a packet of cigarettes, the book is inside and extracted, just like a cig!
There is an air of darkness about all of these stories, with the theme of cigarette smoking running through them - the story of a bride-to-be who hu
Rachel
Apr 30, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
Ten Stories about Smoking by Stuart Evers

I was sent a paperback (unboxed) copy of this to review.

I approached this set of short stories with a little trepidation. As an ex-smoker I didn't want the romanticism of smoking (and it does have a romantic element – think of film noir) to pull me back to its nicotine heart. I needn't have worried.

Although each of the ten stories involve smoking, in only a couple of them is smoking a central theme. In some it seems entirely redundant or is relegated to
Emma
May 03, 2013 Emma rated it really liked it
After looking into the BBC Short story award articles, I have discovered a whole host of short story writers that I was previously unaware of. Seeing as I am writing and reading again I've made it a mission to try and read many of them. Stuart Evers was one of the authors mentioned. The rest are all on my Amazon wish list! :)
However, whilst most of the stories are well crafted, there was only one stand out story for me. The second one, 'Things Seem So Far Away Here'. I did really also enjoy two
Erik
Jul 15, 2011 Erik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, literature
[Dutch]
De verhalenbundel De laatste sigaret van Stuart Evers doet je als lezer net zo hard verlangen naar een volgend verhaal als een verstokte roker verlangt naar de volgende sigaret.

Stuart Evers is onder andere voormalig boekenverkoper en met dit debuut zou hij in dat werkveld geen enkel probleem hebben gehad. Dit boek verkoopt zichzelf. De bundel bevat tien verhalen en alle tien zijn van hoge kwaliteit. Dit zijn verhalen van premium A class, om maar even in de sigarettenterminologie te blijve
Alex Sarll
As with most anthologies, some stories appealed to me more than others. There's perfectly competent stuff here that's perfectly competent but wouldn't be out of place in the Guardian magazine's annual short fiction issue. But then there are also sinister stories - I'm thinking especially of 'Real Work' - which remind me of Toby Litt at his best, and grab at you like the Ancient Mariner.
Leonie
Aug 18, 2012 Leonie rated it it was amazing
I found each of these ten stories utterly addictive and they left me wanting to know more each time. The characterisation was tight and the ideas refreshing. The situations felt real (even when they were a tad surreal). This was a great introduction to a new author for me. I have heard Evers chair a panel at a literary festival but have never given much thought to him as an author until now.
Paul Carter
Oct 26, 2011 Paul Carter rated it liked it
I bought this book mostly because of the flap-top cigarette style case that it comes in and a sincere hope that the writing would be good. Happily, I was not disappointed. The stories in here can be bleak but don't let that put you off: they are also very enjoyable and very human.
Gael
Mar 30, 2014 Gael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The quote on the front cover says, "staggeringly impressive". I have to disagree.
Of the ten, I only really liked one - 'Things seem so far away, here' was a moving picture of misunderstanding.
The rest were flawed, dotted with inconsistencies, and just missing the mark for me.
Jodie Dickey
May 08, 2012 Jodie Dickey rated it it was ok
short stories all involve smoking in some way. clever but found that each story was too short and left me wanting to read more so a bit unsatisfying.
Clare
Oct 23, 2013 Clare rated it liked it
I was a bit disappointed to be honest as I thought the stories would be better. The best thing about this book is how it is packaged.
Rosie Powell
I liked it, but it's certainly not my favourite collection of short stories. I enjopyed some a lot more than others.
Judith
Feb 16, 2015 Judith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 and a half stars really. Nothing special.
Hanneke
Hanneke marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Adam Mills
Adam Mills rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
O'Neill
O'Neill marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Dylan
Dylan marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
sandhya
sandhya marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Beata Twardowska
Beata Twardowska marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Sebastian Krüger
Sebastian Krüger rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Linda Felli
Linda Felli marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Child suitable 1 1 Oct 18, 2015 06:42AM
  • Half of the Human Race
  • The Bridge in the Clouds (The Magician's House Quartet, #4)
  • The Red and the Green (Vintage Classics)
  • Mrs Rosie and the Priest
  • The Switch
  • Across the Barricades (Kevin and Sadie, #2)
  • Sarah's Story
  • Elizabeth: Renaissance Prince
  • Sappho's Leap
  • The Story of Spain: The Dramatic History of Europe's Most Fascinating Country
  • Waiting for the Monsoon
Formerly a bookseller and editor, Stuart Evers is a writer and reviewer. His short stories have appeared in The Best British Short Stories 2012, Prospect and on The Times website. He has reviewed for a wide range of publications including the Guardian, the Independent, the Daily Telegraph and New Statesman. He lives in London.

His first book was published in 2011, a collection of short stories enti
More about Stuart Evers...