Start by marking “The City Who Fought (Brainship, #4)” as Want to Read:
The City Who Fought (Brainship, #4)

The City Who Fought (Brainship #4)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  3,325 ratings  ·  46 reviews
SHELLPERSON WITH A MISSION

Simeon was bored. Not with being a shellperson—like Helva, The Ship Who Sang, and Tia, The Ship Who Searched, he rather pitied “softshells” their mayfly lives and absurdly limited senses—but with running the mining and processing station that made up his “body”. So when the arrival of an out-of-control refugee ship interrupted his latest wargame (
Published May 1994 by Baen Books (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The City Who Fought, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The City Who Fought

Peter
Stinks: One of the worst books I've ever read. I usually like both the authors individually, but they (a) don't mesh and (b) really need better editorial control. One example should suffice without giving much away - the baddies are black-skinned humans and the goodies white (and one of the baddies even turns out - shock, horror - to be gay). Really unnecessary and objectionable laziness.
Ralph McEwen
A little dated but an interesting concept non the less. I enjoyed the strong female lead and the interplay between her and the males.
Al
From Publishers Weekly

This space adventure further develops McCaffrey's vivid future universe of diversified cultures, technological wonders and twisted, sometimes corrupt, politics. Space Station SSS-900C, a profitable but out-of-the-way trading and mining center, is attacked by Kolnari, pirates from a planet of sociopathic exiles. While awaiting the arrival of the Central Worlds' Navy, the inhabitants play for time with a major deception planned by Simeon, the shellperson operating the stati

Carena Wood beimler
A wonderful bit of Sci Fi fluff. Dark adult themes, but not too graphic in the depiction of such.
It's been decades since I read the other books in the series and I had no problems falling into the world.
A bit of a cheesy ending, but it's ok. They deserve a happily ever after.
Christopher Plambeck
More of Anne McCaffrey was evident than S. M. Stirling. Not that that is a bad thing at all, but the book was not as much 'military-sf' as I was given to believe by the blurbs. Good for partisan activity on a mining station though.

A good solid read in the tradition of old-school SF.
Stephanie Bolen
Loved everything about this book, Simeon was awesome, Channa and Joat rocked. Tons of action and personality.
Travis
Nice change of pace setting, as the 'Brainship' in this book is actually a 'Brain Space station', and roles are reversed in that the 'brain' is a guy and the 'brawn' is a girl.
Unfortunately, the story was a bit too brutal and gritty for my tastes and it broke one of my rules for writing, in that I have no tolerance for rape being used as a plot device.

Liked the characters and ideas, but the efforts to do 'gritty, realistic' space opera meant it wasn't a fun book.

Lbaker
I read this book quite a few years ago and now re-read it to my great enjoyment.

Ms McCaffrey's talent in creating characters that are interesting, compelling, and real was incredible. One cannot help but wish to meet so many of then again, and again, particularly Joat, and Patsy.

The story was fast paced, with parallel lines and a continuation of the Ship who Sang series, but is very much able to stand alone.
Kerri
The most action-packed and probably the most fun portion of the Brainships series. Unlike the heroines of the previous books, shellperson Simeon isn't pining after a brawn or being horrendously boring. He's running an entire space station, getting in trouble, becoming a father (sort of), and best of all, kicking serious pirate ass. Thank you S.M. Stirling for livening up this series considerably.
Betsy Dion
A fun book that takes place in a universe where those whose normally would die or be unable to function due to birth defects or paralysis can have their bodies hooked up to a machine, such as a space ship, and then their brains use that machine as if it were an extension of their bodies. And they go on exciting adventures!
Andreas
This collaboration between Stirling and McCaffrey takes place in the Brain & Brawn Ship universe

It is vaguely better than McCaffrey’s own efforts. The characters are more solid and there is at least some excitement. Still, I don’t feel that I can really recommend this to anyone.

zjakkelien
What can I say, I just love brainships! This book consists of two halves: in the first half brainship Simeon gets to know his new brawn Channa. In the second half, the space station needs to defend itself from atrocious pirates. I liked the characters and their interactions, and this book was quite relaxing to read.
Mac
Sad, its been twenty some years since reading of Pern and have forgotten the pleasure of McCaffrey's work, should have realized that I needed to make time for the worlds of discovery found in her works that continue to tickle the imagination and wonder of other worlds. Who knows maybe its all a shell game?
Ramoths Own
I really enjoyed this book and getting to know Simeon. It was not just a good B/B story, it was loaded with action and the fact that he was a space station and not a ship was very interesting. The bad guys were amazing and I loved the entire story line. I am so happy that there is a sequel.
Jan
Aug 14, 2009 Jan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ship who sang fans
Shelves: sci-fi
Think I read this in the past but enjoyed it once more. Probably second favorite to the ship who searched
Simon is the city shell person who has to hold off pirates until the calvary (space Navy) can come to the rescue. Another premise of knowing strategy and tactics from history can pay off.
Barry
Oct 07, 2007 Barry rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No
Even though this book was well written, it does get a bit too brutal. There is no doubt that there is truth in that such brutality would probably happen in the situation depicted in the story, but it is a work of fiction and should have been downplayed instead of emphasized.
Theresa
The City Who Fought (Brainship, #4)
McCaffrey, Anne
Simon thought he was going to have the best carrier in the universe until the pirates came and he learned to fight with all his intellegence and all his connections to save the people he was intrusted to care for.
Nikki
First read this such a long time ago - either in college or before and i still read it often. Its action packed and full of humour. For me, it doesn't feel like its dragging like other McCaffrey books do (though i will admit i have not READ alot of her books)
Sharon
This is one of my favorites in the Brainship series. In general, these books are more technical than many of her others. This one involves the "Brain" to a space station holding off pirates, so there are a lot of battle scenes and guerilla tactics.
Minh
Simeon is infuriatingly funny, ridiculously juvenile and next to Hypatia is easily one of my favorite brains in this universe.

To this day I can't hear the phrase Jack of all Trades without remembering Joat and wonder just what on earth happened to her.
Kris
My least favourite book of the series. :/

Another reviewer summed it up nicely. The good guys are white, the bad guys are black (literally black, even. Not just dark.) and oh no, one of the bad guys likes to rape other dudes.
Bryan457
A great read. Much more brutal and gritty than previous Brainship books. Essentially it as about a space station that is taken over by brutal pirates. The people fight back in clever guerrilla warfare to take back the station.
Zgardenldy
I could not connect with this book -- the science fiction part was so apart from my experience I could not visualize anything going on in the book. I was disappointed.
Tumata Garbutt
A brain city. Well as always i like McCaffrey's universe, and the references of the other heroes of her other books.

A good book to read, it changes from the Brainship's stories.
Michell
I get excited whenever I find an Anne McCaffrey book I haven't read yet. I had a right to be excited this time. I loved this book. Great heros and gnarly villains.
Savannah
Read skimmed to evaluate for weeding. It's dated and uninteresting, the way that scifi gets when it slips behind the times. Verdict: adios.
Lisa
I enjoyed at well enough. I still think I would enjoy being a "shell person"… This was just not the best of the series.
Jh6p
Another in the shell people series. This involves brutal invaders who systematically rape an entire city.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Simon continues the good story line of the brain ships. An entire city run by a one brain, fascinating.
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • Against the Odds (The Serrano Legacy, #7)
  • Changer of Worlds (Worlds of Honor, #3)
  • The People of Pern
  • Werehunter
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two
More about Anne McCaffrey...

Brainship (7 books)
  • The Ship Who Sang (Brainship, #1)
  • PartnerShip (Brainship, #2)
  • The Ship Who Searched (Brainship, #3)
  • The Ship Who Won (Brainship, #5)
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The Ship Avenged
Dragonflight (Pern, #1) Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1) The White Dragon (Pern, #3) Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2) Dragonquest (Pern, #2)