Start by marking “High Time to Kill (James Bond, #3)” as Want to Read:
High Time to Kill (James Bond, #3)

High Time to Kill (Raymond Benson's Bond #3)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  794 ratings  ·  21 reviews
It's at a dinner party with his old friend the former Governor of the Bahamas that James Bond first encounters the deadly new criminal organization known simply as "The Union." An international group, they specialize in military espionage, theft, intimidation, and murder. When information vital to Britain's national security is stolen, M and 007 suspect that the Union is b ...more
Published June 7th 1999 by Putnam Adult (first published May 1999)

To ask other readers questions about High Time to Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about High Time to Kill

Carson
With no offense to John Gardner, who wrote some worthy 007 entries, Raymond Benson's Bond stories, symmetry and descriptive captivation gets better with each chapter. Not only does this solitary rogue feel like Fleming's agent but he fully embraces his solace and demons as he hurls himself into danger and is restless when his life isn't on the line. This story was engaging from beginning to end, through twists and turns and up the mountain where the story climaxes. 5 stars.
Renee Pawlish
I love the old James Bond and I've somewhat enjoyed the other authors who continue the series. But personally, I think they should go back to writing about Bond in the 1960's. Some of the Bond mentality just doesn't fit today's age.
As far as Benson goes, High Time To Kill is a decent read, just not great. I felt the story lagged at times, but I did like aspects of the setting, putting Bond in a unique situation.
Kat
I was attracted by JB adventuring on Kangchenjunga, but the first half of the book was extremely tedious and full of awful things like a whole chapter about game of golf and Bond encountering a lady with a 'tongue like a live minnow'. The second half at least had some interesting mountainy bits (despite the extremely unlikely turns of events) but Bond still behaved like a bit of a douche most of the time.
I also didn't need to know exactly the brand of literally everything he used. (Bond tightene
Martyn Perry
This is a decent story with a pretty unique setting considering it's a Bond book. The first half is committed to the product placement and Bond novel/movie tropes whilst the second half of the story really branches out on its own into a great little thriller.

Bond has to join a climbing expedition in the Himalayas to recover a sought after Macguffin, during this time he's after the shadowy members of The Union, some of whom may be in his own team...

Exciting stuff, easy to read and enjoyable. The
Steve Mitchell
High Time to Kill is Raymond Benson’s fourth addition – if you count a novelisation of Tomorrow Never Dies – to the James Bond series; and once again he manages to combine the sheer fantasy of the plot with a fairly decent story. British government scientists have developed a new material – Skin 17 – that should be able to withstand the heat and stresses to allow an aircraft to fly at Mach 7. Unfortunately a traitor within the development team working for the Union – a sort of terrorist-for-hire ...more
Mark Alford
Nov 15, 2008 Mark Alford rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one in particular
Well, I'm not going to grow any brain cells reading this book, but I was looking for something else and came across it in the library by surprise. In high school I read the Ian Fleming books. Later, I saw where John Gardner (not from Grendel fame) continued the series. When I saw Benson was writing, I figured I'd try him out. So far so good, nothing special. He seems to have dropped following Flemming and Gardner and picked up from where the Brosnan movies left off. I figured I'd read it before ...more
Jerome
After slogging through a mind-numbing 13-page golf game complete with brand names of every item Bond and his colleagues used in their round, I tried to forge ahead but gave up at page 47, in the midst of a meeting that promised to be as boring as most real meetings.

The story concerns a cheap attempt at resurrecting SPECTRE, this time called the 'Union'. The setting is mostly mountainous, which could have been interesting (Benson probably read Into Thin Air and a lightbulb crackled somewhere) bu
Matic Sket
Bad guys - Union, stole some top secret formula for thing called Skin 17.
Formula for Skin 17 was hidden in a pacemaker, that was placed in a man's chest and that man was flying in a plane that crashed in Himalaya.
007 is getting it back.
Some golfing, killing, climbing and f*cking, f*cking at more than 7000 meters of altitude I must say (also killing and climbing, but no golfing).
My name is Bond, James Bond!!!
Sandy
James Bond, careening around the world, climbing mountains, double and triple crossed and women. All the elements one would expect from a James Bond novel. Lots of tension and second guessing. This book could be played for the movies by Sean Connery or Daniel Craig. Glad to spend a few hours in the world of high adventure.
Chris
The most interesting thing about this book is it's plot. Other than that the characters are bland, and the writing is poor.
David Garcia
This was my #1 favorite until NEVER DREAM OF DYING. This book is just as good, and the locale is outstanding!
Kkinugawa
One of the representive works of Raymond Benson as well as "Zero Minus Ten". The story is about Bond's struggle against the ruthless terrorist organization called "The Union", whose brutal trademark is slashing the throat of those who cross them. While the story itself is really interesting and thrilling, I thought the way he writes Bond story is too different from the one which Ian Fleming had written just same as other pieces of works. From this point of view, I would like to recommend this bo ...more
Aubrey Mroz
I've always loved 'James Bond' novels and this one has defiantly got to be the best I've read. Not anything like Ian Flemmings writing, but close enough.
William
I wasn't keen on the idea of a mountain climbing adventure, but was pleasantly surprised. Benson wrote an engaging and fast-moving story. The characters were more interesting and likeable/dislikeable than the last instalment. The long and frequent pedantic descriptions of local colour present in the last two Benson novels were notably toned down in High Time to Kill, although I could have done without knowing the brand name of every piece of mountain climbing equipment used by Bond.
Tyler

This was a fun read--the first one I've read from the Benson series of Bond (except for the novelizations of Tomorrow Never Dies and Die Another Day). I think I like the Gardner Bond series better, though I appreciated the introduction of a SPECTRE like organization here: The Union. I want to finish the Union triply and then I'll be able to judge a bit better.
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
have read Mr. Benson's Bond novels before, and even though I enjoyed them, this one was the most enjoyable. In my opinion, Mr. Benson has captured the essence of book Bond in this novel, not movie Bond. This is a wonderful Bond novel, and I recommend it whole heatedly. This book reads like a book, not an outline for a movie.
Foghorn
Very good suspense - after all, it's a James Bond novel. Set in high altitude mountains mostly...gives you a chill just reading it from the cold. :)
Caroline
Another author authorized by the Fleming estate to continue the James Bond series - Benson does well. James Bond forever!
Osarenren Ihaza
Every second I spent reading this book was totally worth it. Raymond Benson knows how to keep his readers on the edge.
Brian
Reads a lot like OHMSS
Michele
A fairly thrilling read.
James
James is currently reading it
Aug 03, 2015
Eldon
Eldon marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Tim Murray
Tim Murray marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
  • Death Is Forever (John Gardner's Bond, #12)
  • Colonel Sun (James Bond, #15)
  • James Bond, the Spy Who Loved Me
  • Devil May Care (James Bond, #36)
  • Solo
  • Carte Blanche (James Bond)
  • On Her Majesty's Secret Service (James Bond, #11)
  • Danger Society: The Young Bond Dossier
  • James Bond: The Authorized Biography of 007
Raymond Benson has been an author, composer, computer game designer, stage director, film historian, and film genres instructor for over thirty years. He is also the fourth official author of the James Bond 007 novels.

More about Raymond Benson...

Raymond Benson's Bond (6 books)
  • Zero Minus Ten
  • The Facts of Death (James Bond, #2)
  • Doubleshot (James Bond, #4)
  • Never Dream of Dying (Raymond Benson's Bond, #5)
  • The Man With the Red Tattoo (Raymond Benson's Bond, #6)
Splinter Cell (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #1) Operation Barracuda (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #2) Checkmate (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #3) The Black Stiletto: The First Diary--1958 (The Black Stiletto #1) Zero Minus Ten