Start by marking “Broken on the Back Row” as Want to Read:
Broken on the Back Row

Sandi Patty

Broken on the Back Row

INTRO FROM THE BOOK:
Thank you for your interest in my book. Before you begin, I want to put a few facts on the table so you won't feel shocked or misled halfway through.

If you know me as Sandi Patty, Christian entertainer - or recording artist, as we call ourselves in the industry - I want you to know there have been some chapters in my life that will probably disappoint a
Audio
Published February 28th 2005 by Oasis Audio (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Broken on the Back Row, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken on the Back Row

Ebookwormy1
I read this book because I was angry. Sandi Patty was my first exposure to Christian music outside of church, and I was captivated by the contemporary expression of worship. I was young and encouraged. I would listen to the cassettes (yes, cassettes!) I had over and over and over again.

Then, I heard about her divorce. Then, her adulterous affair and marriage to a man who also dissolved his union to be with her and establish a blended family. I felt betrayed. I had held on to her music and messa
Ella
Jan 23, 2009 Ella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so touching. It shows the path of forgiveness from the perspective of a person who was scrutinized in the public eye and the media. This book shows you that the path to forgiveness is not an easy road to pave and you must learn to walk hand-in-hand with God the Almighty Savior and Friend and Father. Sandi tells this story from the bottom of her heart.
Susan
Jan 28, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a testimony of God's grace and forgiveness. None of us are immune from a fall.
Hannah Mae
Mar 29, 2012 Hannah Mae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorits
It was a Christian radio show (which featured Sandi Patty's life and music) that introduced me to this book. I was deeply moved and inspired when I heard parts of it, read during the show. I knew then that I had to read the book completely.

From her mostly fun childhood, early musical performances with her family, and the ascent of her career (from being a single lady to a married woman), the extremely tough times when she made a lot of impulsive decisions that caused her to fall and sin, and she
Mar 08, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book. You can feel her sorrow of recovering and repairing her family from adultery and public apologies. I find it ironic that many Christian stations won't play her music but yet find nothing wrong regarding Amy Grant's divorce and remarriage, priorities mixed up?? Very good book in God's Grace and Forgiveness as well as healing through God.
Ms. A.
Apr 07, 2012 Ms. A. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I so deeply appreciate the honesty of a woman I have such deep respect for. Her story is familiar in that we all mess up and have to reconcile our poor choices alongside the blessings and gifts of our faith. Well worth a read as her music is well worth a listen!
Joy Gerbode
Sep 16, 2013 Joy Gerbode rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was not a book I would have picked up ... but was our book club read for the month, so I dutifully began to skim through it. Just a few pages in, I was already wiping tears from my face, and feeling a refreshment of God's grace in my own life. I was thoroughly blessed by the book!
Vicki
Oct 16, 2008 Vicki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
nobody's perfect!
Julie Damon
May 04, 2017 Julie Damon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is great book.

It was a great book. You will enjoy it. You will want to to read more books of her. She love her family and her career.
Christie Kelly
Mar 14, 2017 Christie Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was very interesting to read Sandi Patty's story. She is certainly a courageous woman. I'm not so sure she *owed* the world (or her church) an explanation of her deeply personal struggles. We're *all* sinners. I think she's incredibly brave to have bared her sole to so many. It's not our job to judge, but to love and forgive. I enjoyed the book and have a great deal of respect for Sandi. I stand in awe of her incredible talent.
Mitzi Adkinson
Mar 30, 2016 Mitzi Adkinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was well written and interesting. Sometimes artists and musicians who write autobiographies or memoirs or to tell us their story struggle with the delivery since they may not necessarily be "authors," but this book isn't like that as well. Sandy is an accomplished author as well as a very talented musician and artist. As a huge Sandy Patti fan, I loved this book. But I think it would be equally enjoyable for anyone. It's a beautiful testament to God's grace and mer ...more
Laren
May 16, 2008 Laren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs, religious
If you are looking for lurid details about the affair that broke up the author's first marriage, you will be greatly disappointed. This is a study in which she seeks forgiveness from God, from her parish, and from her fans. Being Catholic, this Protestant journey was rather alien to me, and frankly it seems a lot more difficult to gain forgiveness outside of Catholicism! I have the impression that this was written in part to make a sort of apology to her fans, and in part to iterate that God doe ...more
Lana Jackson
Feb 27, 2013 Lana Jackson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography-memoir
From beginning to end, I found this story filled with the Grace of God. So much so that I didn't want to put it down.

I liked that Sandi respected her first husband by including none of the specific details of their break-up, but instead included details of things she learned about a wounded heart during her counseling experiences. I also liked the inclusion of her Pastor's suggestions for restoring a person to wholeness.
Sylvia
Sep 04, 2016 Sylvia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*the description of this book is not correct!

This is the second time I read this book. First time was 10 yrs ago after getting this book from a Women of Faith conference. Really appreciate Sandi's honest and candid sharing in the book about her fall. The messages have not changed- 1. sin doesn't just hurt the sinner; it has the potential to hurt a lot of other people too. 2. God is the God of second chances.
Dionne
Mar 18, 2013 Dionne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual, memoir
"Sandi Patty was a woman who sought after God with her whole heart, who loved her family and her friends. And when she got the chance, she sang about it."

Sandi Patty was one of my favorite Christian artists when I was a teenager. Her book was an amazing story about forgiveness, grace and second chances. Sandi is honest and real about her life. I found it to be very inspirational.
Crystal
great book. have been listening to Sandi's music since I was 7. Here, the singer talks about growing up in a musical family, building her own career, choices she made and making her way back to god and her church. accountability, humility and forgiveness are the dominant themes of this book. Highly recommend.
Ladybug52comcast.Net
Good book about God's forgiveness
Angela
Nov 26, 2010 Angela rated it really liked it
Helpful, transparent. Sandi Patti speaks about her affair while on the road singing gospel, and how deceptive and how needy she felt. Shared with T. Explains the value of restorative counseling and forgiveness within the church.
Lynn Randall
Jan 07, 2013 Lynn Randall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sandi Patty has long been my favorite singer and reading the many stories of her life and how she realized that even when most of the world walked out on her God drew her closer to Him.
Kathy
Jan 25, 2011 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
She still has one of the most gorgeous voices ever. I'm glad the Christian community has finally forgiven her, and she is no longer "black-balled" by the radio stations.
Reader
I actually read the hardcover version of this but the audio cassette version is the only version in the GoodReads database for some reason.
Diana Hays
Oct 08, 2013 Diana Hays rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Real life, real Christianity.
Terry Hathaway
Terry Hathaway rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2015
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2015
Kelsey
Kelsey rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Elisabeth
Elisabeth rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Alma Celina
Alma Celina rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2011
Jennifer Fite
Jennifer Fite rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2011
Karla Jenkins
Karla Jenkins rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2011
Concetta Kellough
Concetta Kellough rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Learning to Breathe Again: Choosing Life and Finding Hope After a Shattering Loss
  • Mosaic: Pieces of My Life So Far
  • Don't Block the Blessings
  • Friendship for Grownups
  • Coming Home to Myself
  • Stormie: A Story of Forgiveness and Healing
  • I Grew Up Little: Finding Hope in a Big God
  • David Livingstone
  • House Calls: How We Can All Heal the World One Visit at a Time
  • It's So Much Work to Be Your Friend: Helping the Child with Learning Disabilities Find Social Success
  • The Brides of Webster County (Brides of Webster County, #1-4)
  • When Invisible Children Sing
  • My Passion for Design
  • The God I Love: A Lifetime of Walking with Jesus
  • Elizabeth Taylor: My Love Affair with Jewelry
  • Who Needs God
  • Thin Places: A Memoir
  • Against All Odds: My Story
FROM BOOK:
Sandi Patty is the most awarded Christian female vocalist in contemporary Christian music history, with 39 Dove Awards, 5 Grammy Awards, and 4 Billboard Music Awards. Her 23 albums have sold more than 11 million units, including 3 platinum and 5 gold recordings. She has regularly appeared on network television. In 2004, Sandi was inducted into the Gospel Music Association Hall of Fame.
More about Sandi Patty...