Start by marking “Self-Directed Behavior: Self-Modification for Personal Adjustment” as Want to Read:
Self-Directed Behavior: Self-Modification for Personal Adjustment

Self-Directed Behavior: Self-Modification for Personal Adjustment

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  3,285 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Achieve your life goals with SELF-DIRECTED BEHAVIOR! With abundant strategies based on research, this psychology text guides you through exercises for developing skills in self-analysis and teaches you how to apply these skills in different settings. Case examples demonstrate how other students have successfully used the book's techniques, including one student who used sh ...more
Published August 8th 2006 by Wadsworth Publishing Company (first published January 28th 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Self-Directed Behavior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Self-Directed Behavior

Shannon
Aug 02, 2015 Shannon rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: ridiculous people
Recommended to Shannon by: my teacher
Shelves: own, non-fiction, fix-me
Edit: This book is horrible and repetitive and I take back anything nice I said about it and I hope they never make any more editions. Seriously, it is as cocky as.. The Da Vinci Code. You know that wave of smug that hits you when you try to read Da Vinci Code? Same thing. Bleeeck.

Some of this book is possibly kind of helpful. But it's also really self-aggrandizing. Have you ever read a book that constantly references how awesome it is, and even says "if you use these techniques and it doesn't
Christian Crowley
I wish I had learned these skills starting in kindergarten!

This is a text book for a college course, probably for behavioral psychology students. Over the course of the semester, the student learns how to design, assess and modify a program for changing habits. Each student's class project is to observe and change one behavior the student is currently unsatisfied with. Replacing unhelpful habits with helpful ones is presented as a set of skills that can be learned and strengthened, rather than s
Mike Gibbs
Sep 22, 2012 Mike Gibbs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for someone looking to improve themselves through simple behavioral modification techniques. I've used a few of the ideas from this book to help me develop some habits while reading it and the concept really do work.

The only downside to the book is that it is rather dated (the copy I had was published about 30 years ago), so some of the examples are not very helpful (one example is that a very large number of the examples are of people trying to quit smoking).

I would highly
Michaeld
Sep 30, 2013 Michaeld rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
This was an effective book for teaching methods of developing and modifying behaviors. This was a required reading in my college course and we were required to implement its techniques through our daily lives. Granted, the choice of implementation was up to each student, so I elected to modify behavior in exercise.
By using all of the steps provided in this book, I was able to avoid tendencies that lead to me failing in reaching my goal and substantially increased my exercises per-week. I contin
Trent
Aug 18, 2012 Trent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here are the table of contents: www.ecampus.com/selfdirected-behavior...

I was really lucky to come across this book at my college's library. I've found it's easier to use after I condensed it on my computer and then just filled my responses to each chapter that way (though of course using other offline techniques and self-recording).
Drew Drew
Sep 16, 2010 Drew Drew rated it it was amazing
Although this is a text book, it has an enjoyable reading feel to it.

Fantastic resource for learning how to change bad habits or make good habits even better.

I refer to this book for my classes on a regular basis and always pull something 'more' out of it with each read.
M
May 28, 2012 M rated it did not like it
Great things are taught in this book. That being said I had to read this for an online class towards my masters plus 45. While I'd love to act as though I'm a great big intellectual, I'm so not. This was terribly painful to get through.
Bellamy
Jan 20, 2012 Bellamy rated it it was amazing
there is a swan in the river
Maura
Dec 15, 2012 Maura rated it it was amazing
The most thorough book on how to change personal habits/behaviors I've ever encountered.
Robert
Dec 24, 2013 Robert rated it it was amazing
This book is a literal lifesaver! I don't know how many self-help books that I've read, that didn't help and how many I own, that this one book could replace.

A lot of the reviews I saw were complaining about the author talking about how amazing the book is and techniques contained within are, well 1)the book is amazing. It does what it says and does it damn well. 2) There is a lot of scientific studies and cases listed. Nearly every statement made in the book is backed by a study or some type of
Patrick Keenan
Aug 26, 2016 Patrick Keenan rated it it was amazing
This is a seriously amazing way to think about making changes in your life. In depth, based on research. It's not a self-help book. It's a book with everything you need to know about achieving the goals in your life, including understanding habits and behaviors, the two forms of willpower and why you should not rely on your brute willpower (like a muscle, it gets tired with use), how to set useful, achievable goals, how to observe your behaviors, how to make plans for change and reassess them in ...more
Liz Dean
Sep 18, 2012 Liz Dean rated it did not like it
Wow- what a useless book. If you can get by this guys's ego and bloviating, you might get the occasional insight on how to be introspective. However, a nice dinner with a friend talking about goals and personal improvement will do more for this than this ever will- WASTE OF MONEY. (Can you give a book negative stars?)
Disa
Nov 16, 2012 Disa rated it really liked it
It's a self-help book with research. Some of the research might be dated, but the authors give references for where you can find out more information. This is an excellent book to help individuals or groups put together a plan for change, whether that's to stop smoking, or to be more assertive.
I highly recommend for anyone who is serious about growing and maturing.
Brook
Sep 08, 2014 Brook rated it really liked it
Read this for a class about behavioral theories for my Graduate degree. Great book with many many ideas, tips, and ways to influence and help behavioral changes for addictions, habits, or just adding changes to one's life. Change is extremely difficult for most of us!
Magdalena
Magdalena rated it did not like it
Dec 09, 2014
Joaquin
Joaquin rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Cooper Woods
Cooper Woods rated it did not like it
Apr 28, 2014
Lananhgoldenyahoo.Co.Uk
Lananhgoldenyahoo.Co.Uk rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2015
Enrique Rodriguez
Enrique Rodriguez rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2014
Agnė Šukaitytė
Agnė Šukaitytė rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2013
Aditi
Aditi rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Pnrajeev
Pnrajeev rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2015
Louis Pua
Louis Pua rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2014
Arjun
Arjun rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2013
Cici
Cici rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2015
Kah Choong
Kah Choong rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2015
Takudzwa
Takudzwa rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2013
Lukuba
Lukuba rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2012
IMAMUL HAQUE
IMAMUL HAQUE rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2016
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • Fail-Safe Investing: Lifelong Financial Security in 30 Minutes
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • 3-D Negotiation: Powerful Tools to Change the Game in Your Most Important Deals
  • Purpose: The Starting Point of Great Companies
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • How to Read a Financial Report: Wringing Vital Signs Out of the Numbers
  • The 1% Windfall: How Successful Companies Use Price to Profit and Grow
  • Driven: How Human Nature Shapes our Choices
  • The Path of Least Resistance: Learning to Become the Creative Force in Your Own Life
  • Growing Great Employees: Turning Ordinary People into Extraordinary Performers