Start by marking “Self-Directed Behavior: Self-Modification for Personal Adjustment” as Want to Read:
Self-Directed Behavior: Self-Modification for Personal Adjustment

Self-Directed Behavior: Self-Modification for Personal Adjustment

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,780 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Achieve your life goals with SELF-DIRECTED BEHAVIOR! With abundant strategies based on research, this psychology text guides you through exercises for developing skills in self-analysis and teaches you how to apply these skills in different settings. Case examples demonstrate how other students have successfully used the book's techniques, including one student who used sh ...more
Published August 8th 2006 by Wadsworth Publishing Company (first published January 28th 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Self-Directed Behavior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Self-Directed Behavior

Shannon
May 05, 2008 Shannon rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ridiculous people
Recommended to Shannon by: my teacher
Shelves: non-fiction, own
Edit: This book is horrible and repetitive and I take back anything nice I said about it and I hope they never make any more editions. Seriously, it is as cocky as.. The Da Vinci Code. You know that wave of smug that hits you when you try to read Da Vinci Code? Same thing. Bleeeck.

Some of this book is possibly kind of helpful. But it's also really self-aggrandizing. Have you ever read a book that constantly references how awesome it is, and even says "if you use these techniques and it doesn't
Liz Dean
Wow- what a useless book. If you can get by this guys's ego and bloviating, you might get the occasional insight on how to be introspective. However, a nice dinner with a friend talking about goals and personal improvement will do more for this than this ever will- WASTE OF MONEY. (Can you give a book negative stars?)
Christian Crowley
I wish I had learned these skills starting in kindergarten!

This is a text book for a college course, probably for behavioral psychology students. Over the course of the semester, the student learns how to design, assess and modify a program for changing habits. Each student's class project is to observe and change one behavior the student is currently unsatisfied with. Replacing unhelpful habits with helpful ones is presented as a set of skills that can be learned and strengthened, rather than s
Mike Gibbs
This is a great book for someone looking to improve themselves through simple behavioral modification techniques. I've used a few of the ideas from this book to help me develop some habits while reading it and the concept really do work.

The only downside to the book is that it is rather dated (the copy I had was published about 30 years ago), so some of the examples are not very helpful (one example is that a very large number of the examples are of people trying to quit smoking).

I would highly
Michaeld
This was an effective book for teaching methods of developing and modifying behaviors. This was a required reading in my college course and we were required to implement its techniques through our daily lives. Granted, the choice of implementation was up to each student, so I elected to modify behavior in exercise.
By using all of the steps provided in this book, I was able to avoid tendencies that lead to me failing in reaching my goal and substantially increased my exercises per-week. I contin
Trent
Here are the table of contents: www.ecampus.com/selfdirected-behavior...

I was really lucky to come across this book at my college's library. I've found it's easier to use after I condensed it on my computer and then just filled my responses to each chapter that way (though of course using other offline techniques and self-recording).
Drew Harvey
Although this is a text book, it has an enjoyable reading feel to it.

Fantastic resource for learning how to change bad habits or make good habits even better.

I refer to this book for my classes on a regular basis and always pull something 'more' out of it with each read.
Mary
Great things are taught in this book. That being said I had to read this for an online class towards my masters plus 45. While I'd love to act as though I'm a great big intellectual, I'm so not. This was terribly painful to get through.
Maura
The most thorough book on how to change personal habits/behaviors I've ever encountered.
Bellamy
there is a swan in the river
Robert
This book is a literal lifesaver! I don't know how many self-help books that I've read, that didn't help and how many I own, that this one book could replace.

A lot of the reviews I saw were complaining about the author talking about how amazing the book is and techniques contained within are, well 1)the book is amazing. It does what it says and does it damn well. 2) There is a lot of scientific studies and cases listed. Nearly every statement made in the book is backed by a study or some type of
Brook
Read this for a class about behavioral theories for my Graduate degree. Great book with many many ideas, tips, and ways to influence and help behavioral changes for addictions, habits, or just adding changes to one's life. Change is extremely difficult for most of us!
Disa
It's a self-help book with research. Some of the research might be dated, but the authors give references for where you can find out more information. This is an excellent book to help individuals or groups put together a plan for change, whether that's to stop smoking, or to be more assertive.
I highly recommend for anyone who is serious about growing and maturing.
Saud
Jan 10, 2013 Saud marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
wtrtwrt
Johnna
Johnna marked it as to-read
Jayne Renee
Jayne Renee marked it as to-read
Nick Celestin
Nick Celestin marked it as to-read
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Rodney
Rodney marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Re-Create Your Life
  • Numbers Guide: The Essentials of Business Numeracy
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Fail-Safe Investing: Lifelong Financial Security in 30 Minutes
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • Purpose: The Starting Point of Great Companies
  • 3-D Negotiation: Powerful Tools to Change the Game in Your Most Important Deals
  • How to Read a Financial Report: Wringing Vital Signs Out of the Numbers
  • Simple Numbers, Straight Talk, Big Profits!: 4 Keys to Unlock Your Business Potential
  • Path of Least Resistance: Learning to Become the Creative Force in Your Own Life
  • The Simplicity Survival Handbook: 32 Ways To Do Less And Accomplish More
  • The 1% Windfall: How Successful Companies Use Price to Profit and Grow
The Early Methodist Class Meeting: Its Origins and Significance Accountable Discipleship: A Handbook for Covenant Discipleship Groups in the Congregation Psychology Social Psychology: Science and Application Forming Christian Disciples: The Role of Covenant Discipleship & Class Leaders in the Congregation