Start by marking “Farscape 1: The Beginning of the End of the Beginning” as Want to Read:
Farscape 1: The Beginning of the End of the Beginning

Farscape 1: The Beginning of the End of the Beginning (Farscape - Graphic Novels & Comics #1)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  35 reviews
The acclaimed science fiction series FARSCAPE continues here, written by the show’s creator, Rockne S. O’Bannon.

Special Price: $9.99! First time in trade paperback! Experience the continuation of the fan-favorite Farscape TV show, by the show’s creator Rockne S. O’Bannon. It’s the comic series that has taken sci-fi fans by
Published September 7th 2010 by BOOM! Studios (first published August 25th 2009)

Steve
Jan 22, 2010 Steve rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Farscape Fans
Recommended to Steve by: News article
The ultimate collection FARSCAPE fans have been waiting for! This handsome hardcover features the first four issues of the first arc of the Farscape comic series as written by series creator

Rockne S. O'Bannon. Includes a bevy of bonus materials that make this a must-have item for hard-core 'Scapers and new fans alike!

First I have to admit when this TV series first premiered I was unable to really get involved in the story. At the time of its release I wasn't watching much of any real TV to think
Nicolo Yu
Cancelled television series have found new life in recent years in comic books. These are not the usual adaptations that comic publishers license from networks but new stories that pick up from the series finale and starting a new “season” in printed form with participation from its original creators and writers. One of the earliest adapters and best examples and best example of creator participation is Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 with Joss Whedon with a central role in plotting the direct ...more
Michelle
This first volume of the Farscape comic series rejoins the Moya crew not long after the conclusion of the events of The Peacekeeper Wars. For fans of the series, it is a welcome return to a beloved world and friends, who are as distinctive in voice and action as they were on-screen.

In an "afterword" contained within this volume, Rockne S. O'Bannon notes that he may have tried to cram too much into the tale in his excitement to revisit this world, and this is a fairly accurate statement. While th
Aja
Farscape is back! Ahhh how I've missed all the outer space fun and frolics! This volume sets up the continuation of the series nicely offering a smooth transition from the TV series and the end of the Peacekeeper Wars. It can be enjoyed as a complete story - reminiscent of a two part episode and yet has some mysterious goings on that leave you anticipating volume 2! If you are a fan of the show then I recommend this, if not, then go treat yourself to a Farscape marathon then come back and read i ...more
Sean Endymion
I think O'Bannon tried just a tad too hard to make John seem like John (with more of his Earthisms than ever), and not quite hard enough to make Aeryn seem like Aeryn (she's "hard" in situations that don't really work (like not talking to John during the assault)).

The art design takes a while to get used to, especially the action scenes. Jothee looks too much like D'Argo and not enough like himself, action scenes really aren't clear and don't flow together, and Chiana looks too skinny.

But other
Jp36
Having become aware of the continuation of this series in this format I was delighted. That delight somewhat faded as comics aren't my typical medium. Graphic novels have their appeal and to me that is the artwork, the others vary such as the cost and freedom to tell a story that might not get made in other forms. But these stories could have been told as short stories or even brought to a novel neither of which would have been unattainable for the creator.

From there the 'worst' thing about thi
Kandice
I've been missing the show, so was pleased to see this graphic novel/glorified comic. It's always comforting to revisit old friends, especially when their personalities, relationships, ticks and idiosyncracies have been kept intact. The witty quips, arguments, and uncurrent of friendship were well preserved here.

The story revolves around Moya and crew helping Rigel reclaim his rightful throne as Dominar. At first only Chiana and D'Argo's son accompany him to his home planet. Those two have enter
Bry
It has been a long time since I have watched Farscape so I am not gonna lie - I totally had to wiki the damn thing to remember the characters names! Thankfully though the book did a good job of trying to bring readers up to speed by hitting the major highlights of the tv show, so I wasn't too lost for too long.

The art was pretty good. I enjoyed the colors especially which were super jewel toned. The characters and backgrounds also had a great amount of detail which was nice. So for the most part
Natalie
I was almost tearing up while reading this. I still am, to be honest. Farscape holds such a dear place in my heart, I'm so glad that its creator, Rockne S O'Bannon was involved in the writing of this continuation. It picks up right where the story finished at the end of The Peacekeeper Wars and this 4-part collection concerns itself mainly with Rygel regaining his long sought-after throne on Hyneria.

The whole storyline was utterly believable and in keeping with the tv show. I could hear the voi
Rick
When the Sci Fi Channel canceled Farscape, I almost swore off science fiction television. The unique show full of puppets, bodily functions, and sex offered intelligent scripts combined with good acting and quality special effects. O'Bannon returns to the universe he created with Farscape: The Beginning of the End of the Beginning, a well-crafted direct sequel to the original series. Picking up soon after the conclusion of Peacekeeper Wars, the surviving crew helps Rigel regain his throne. As ex ...more
Jamie
Sep 22, 2014 Jamie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Scapers, Sci-Fi fans, Jim Henson Fans
Shelves: comics
A very enjoyable return to the the Farscape Universe which picks up right where the mini-series left off. The story of this first arc largely focuses on Rygel, but John, Aeryn and the baby still take center stage. The story and art are both good but the art doesn't script the action scenes that well. There were a number of panels where I had to ask myself "What is that supposed to be?" Aside from that minor issue, this is a great return to one of my most loved franchises.
Michael
The story was a worthy continuation from where The Peacekeeper Wars left off, but not particularly well-written. I'd be more interested in reading an actual novel of this story, but from a better author than DeCandido. It was O'Bannon's story, but DeCandido was responsible for fleshing it out. The way they speak on the show is great for the screen, but in print, it reads pretty corny at times. I'm not a comic reader, so I'm perhaps not the best judge, but the artwork looked a little too messy an ...more
Gary
May 29, 2011 Gary rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone that's a fan of Farscape
This is an excellent continuation to the series Farscape. If you haven't ever watched the series you should check it out on Netflix, they have the whole series streaming. This graphic novel plays like four episodes of the series telling this one overall arc. The major storyline is putting Rygel back on the throne of Hyneria. While the secondary story has a mysterious figure with red eyes following John, Aeryn, Deke (John and Aeryn's son). Amazingly drawn it captures the heart and soul of the tel ...more
Denise
I just finished re-watching the entire Farscape series, so I needed something to combat the severe withdrawal symptoms - looks like I found the perfect remedy! Picking up right where The Peacekeeper Wars left off, the first volume of the graphic novel series sees Rygel attempt to finally reclaim his crown, Chiana and Jothee try to come to terms with D'Argo's death and John and Aeryn dealing with their new state of parenthood. And of course Scorpius is up to something again... Great entertainment ...more
Candice Bundy
For fans of the Farscape series, these graphic novels are a welcome continuation to the plot and characters otherwise unavailable.

This first book is dedicated to Rygel and his attempt to regain his former throne. Crichton and Aeryn also come to terms with becoming parents, Chiana and Jothee deal with D'Argo's death, and Scorpius deals with life without Scarrans.

Overall this could have fit into 2-3 show episodes, and it makes sense that it feels like television because that's what Rockne's used
John
Solid fun for fans of the TV series. This picks up right during the final scene from the Peacekeeper Wars, and shows us the start of Crichton and Aeryn's lives as parents, and how they cope with that while being dragged, unsurprisingly, into more dangerous messes. Story-wise, this doesn't quite measure up to the series at its best (although it's very good), but the characters ring true, and the writing is spot on. It's great that we can get more of this story than the SciFi channel let us have.
M Hamed
All Hail Dominar Rygel XVI
Amanda
I re-read all of these in the summer while blitzkrieging for a game. I still find myself feeling about the same for the Farscape franchize comics/graphic novels as I ever did. They are sometimes well written, but the art is really sad (because I just love the show and actors so much). Some of the stories meander too much, and Aeryn's ending still gets to me in a way where I don't absolutely agree that's where she should have ended up. But it was a fun summer reread.
Kerri
This was good enough. My main complaint was how Aeryn was portrayed as a new mother. She seemed weaker, more insecure, and less capable than she was in the TV show. These traits were not part of her character before. I did like how realistic the characters were illustrated.
Joy
Farscape has become one of my favorite scifi series and it was so sad when it ended. I am glad that they started it up again in comics, and it's the same off the wall series it was before.

In the first installment, we see Rygel trying to take back Hyneria. Aeryn and John are having problems with Deke crying all the time and Chiana is having problems dealing with D'Argo's death.
Romana1
You know it's good when you can hear the character's voices as you read the comic. I absolutely loved this continuation of Farscape, picking up right after the events in The Peacekeeper Wars. The only question I have is why did it take me so long to start reading this?! ;) Looking forward to volume 2!
Colleen
I read the individual comic books, not the TPB, after all 4 were released.

This is an excellent comic series from Boom!Studios and written by the creators of the TV series. All the stories are considered to be official canon and deal with events following The Peacekeeper Wars.
Michelle Wardhaugh
Fun but not brilliant. There were a lot of "character moments" (expressions and actions that made the characters on the page seem very like the characters on the screen) that I enjoyed at first, but by the end it felt like that was almost all there was.
Meredith Kaupp
I'm not a comic book fan, but I just treat he'd the TV series and really wanted to know what happens next. Wish they'd write a novelization, but I'll keep reading the comics since that's my only option.
Kathleen
Review from interlibrary loan copy

I'm going to cry and cry and cry and cry - are there any more? That first image just got me, and then... okay, as River Song would say, spoilers.
Jutta
nice to get more farscape, but you can tell the author isn't quite used to the comic format yet, so a bit rough. hopefully it will get better as it goes on.
Will
Uncannily like the series itself, both in quality, and in the way it feels - which is to say it feels exactly like new episodes of the show.
Courtru
This was pretty engaging. There were some gems that I wish could have been fleshed out in a more detailed format but I'll take what I can get.
Seth
An excellent read with all the fun from the show. I liked how it showed Rygel's growth.
Ashley
Just like the TV show in terms of story, even if the art isn't 100% solid.
  • Farscape: House of Cards
  • Dollhouse: Epitaphs (Dollhouse, #1-5)
  • Serenity: Better Days (Serenity, #2)
  • Doctor Who: The Forgotten (The Forgotten, #1-6)
  • Husbands
  • Countdown
  • Deadly Storm (Derrick Storm Graphic Novels, #1)
  • Path to Nowhere (Star Wars: Dark Times, #1)
  • Fringe (Fringe, #1)
  • The Guild (The Guild, vol. 1)
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 10: Club Kids
  • Don't Split the Party (The Order of the Stick, #4)
  • Futurama: The Time Bender Trilogy (Futurama Comics trade paperback #4)
  • Spike: After the Fall
  • Dark Force Rising (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy Graphic Novels, #2)
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation / Doctor Who: Assimilation2, Volume 1
  • Star Trek: Ongoing, Volume 3
  • Futurama Adventures (Futurama Comics trade paperback #2)
Rockne S. O'Bannon is a television producer and writer. He is the creator of the science fiction movie Alien Nation, television shows seaQuest DSV, The Triangle and Farscape. He is married with one daughter and two sons - all three children adopted from Russia. He resides in California, USA.[citation needed]

O'Bannon grew up in a home influenced by the film industry. The son of a gaffer, he was sur
More about Rockne S. O'Bannon...

Farscape - Graphic Novels & Comics (8 books)
  • Farscape Vol. 2: Strange Detractors
  • Farscape Vol. 3:  Gone and Back
  • Farscape Vol. 4: Tangled Roots
  • Farscape Vol. 5: Red Sky At Morning
  • Farscape Vol. 6: Compulsions: Compulsions
  • Farscape Vol. 7: War for the Uncharted Territories, Part 1
  • Farscape Vol. 8: War For The Uncharted Territories Part 2
Farscape Vol. 2: Strange Detractors Farscape Vol. 3:  Gone and Back Farscape Vol. 4: Tangled Roots Farscape Vol. 6: Compulsions: Compulsions Farscape Vol. 7: War for the Uncharted Territories, Part 1