Start by marking “Ruthless.com (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ruthless.com (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #2)

Ruthless.com (Tom Clancy's Power Plays #2)

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  2,599 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Encryption technology keeps the codes for the world's security and communication systems top secret. Deregulating this state-of-the-art technology for export could put a back-door key in the pockets of spies and terrorists around the world. So when American businessman Roger Gordian refuses to put his sophisticated encryption program on the market, he finds his company the ...more
Published November 1st 1998 by Berkley Books

Preston
Mar 04, 2015 Preston rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a horrible novel, again I feel like my opinion of the book is buoyed by the fact that I got it from a library for free so I am more inclined to not be upset from the quality I would expect from a purchased novel. My favorite aspect of the novel was the setting in Singapore, which I could relate to through my time there while on deployment.
Ed
Apr 19, 2016 Ed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, action, thriller
#2 in the Tom Clancy's Power Plays series.

Power Plays thriller - Roger Gordian tries to protect his industrial empire from hostile takeover, assault on his facilities, murder of his employees and sabotage of his plane; oh, there's also a kidnap plot against the President.
Brian
Feb 20, 2011 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bob
Apr 14, 2015 Bob rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
More of Tom Clancy's Power Play yarns. Rival corporations battle for control, one of them is being backed by an Asian group with help of Asian gangs which means murders attacks on the rivals buildings and the possible attack on a US submarine, the local for a meeting of the President and Asian leaders.
Peter
Sep 06, 2010 Peter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
International plots, violence, cut-throat business tactics and heavy bribery fill this book that follows the employees of two competing companies.

This book was terribly written, had a terrible plot and was just generally not worth reading. It did not seem like a book Tom Clancy would have put his name on. The worst part was that the plot was not explained in the beginning; the reader was supposed to piece it together as they went along, but then it was never adequately explained until the end. I
Alfredo
Este es el libro que me hizo decir "hey, no todos los libros de Tom Clancy son El octubre Rojo". Mi amor incondicional por la obra de Clancy se convirtió en aprecio condicional.

A años de haberlo leído, sólo recuerdo algo de un computador, un sr. de terno que hablaba, unos terroristas hacker genéricos plantilla número 6 y miles de bostezos. Ni siquiera recuerdo si la fuerza de voluntad me permitió terminarlo, y la verdad no importa.

Lo único que me gusta de este libro es la tapa con el mapa de U
Lianne
Mar 11, 2016 Lianne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good engaging writing. Weak plot. Nice when it cones to the details but the bigger picture is poorly portrayed.
Laurie D'ghent
Meh. Not poorly written, but I'm so not into political thrillers. Four chapters was enough to make me move on.
Peter
May 04, 2014 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(estimated date)

(don't remember anything about the book, but it was probably OK)

Paperback - gave it away.
Renata
May 09, 2016 Renata rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty stupid.com. Mildly racist.com.

J
May 09, 2009 J rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS.

What I learned from this book -- I don't like when Clancy franchises out his writing. Or maybe he's getting stale. Or maybe my tastes have changed.

Not much memorable at this point -- shortly after reading it, I forgot most of the plot.

Interesting that a key character would die fairly early on - Max Blackburn.

Lots of formulaic characters and plot developments. Stupid dialogue lines like, "Stop, you bitch!"

Plot centers on a technology company, owned by Roger Gordian, that U.S.
John Cleveland
OK, but not one on his best. Entertaining
Joe White
Apr 07, 2013 Joe White rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The book jacket indicates encryption technology and lead me to believe that this would be a technical thriller of networks and data collection.

Not so. This is just a regular spy novel with tradecraft operations, body counts, shootouts, Indonesian gangs, and some thrill in timing of a large forces operations raid. Naturally an advanced US sub is used as a backdrop very remotely tied to the story as is the President. Since that wasn't what I was looking for this was a huge letdown, and I could eas
Jenna
Ruthless indeed...... a business expansion with dirty tricks, deceit, and merciless games played by Marcus Caine. An encryption technology system that keeps the world record top security secret code.

When Roger Gordian find out that his company was an object of a corporate take over. He must find a way to bring down the gang of pirates, spies, drug lords, politacal extremists and the terrorist around the world. It's a universal marketplace where greediness is not good........but it's great.
Cess Que
I've read Tom Clancy books since I was a kid. All heavy ofcourse. Ruthless is not my favorite of his books but it's still pretty good. Story is a little dragging but maybe with the right pacing it can be quite the thriller. Typical corporate espionage that attempts to take down a high-tech company with a very clever plot.
David H.
Nov 29, 2009 David H. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read several Tom Clancy books, but this was my least favorite of the bunch. A special Lady gave me this book for Christmas 1998. For some strange reason, it took me over ten years to read it. The inside cover is inscribled to me, so I will never part with it.
Dan
Nov 26, 2012 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Very confusing to follow. The Story had no continuous plot. It was jumping from country to country and subplot to subplot across each chapter. I like to relax when reading a novel not take notes to keep track of characters.
John
Oct 14, 2015 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Tom Clancy and I was a little disappointed. I expected a bit more, based on reputation.
Sherry Roit
Unfortunately I had to try way too hard to stay interested in this, and it's not even a long book. It didn't grab me. Got it for free, and didn't realize it wasn't actually written by Clancy.
Greer Andjanetta
A slow, draggy story, much duller than most TC books. Corporate espionage and an apparent takeover attempt of a high-tech company that is not fully explained until the end. Far from Clancy's best.
Deb
Sep 28, 2014 Deb marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, abbandonati
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Sylvia
Apr 22, 2014 Sylvia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i've read better Clancy. Way better.
Stephen Heverin
Ruthless.com: Power Plays 02 by Series Created By Tom Clancy And Martin Greenberg (1998)
Fittytiff
I read this so long ago. But now going through my books and getting rid of some!
Bob
Jan 10, 2016 Bob rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Shelves: on-my-shelves, clancy
slow, couldn't keep my interest, O.K. ending
David
Jan 31, 2010 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mediocre read with a weakly executed plot.
Brett
Apr 14, 2008 Brett rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thriller
Marie Wreath
Meh...
Jane McGIll
Jane McGIll marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
The Worst Bestsel...: Episode 48 - Ruthless.com 5 22 May 23, 2016 09:49AM
  • Line of Control (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #8)
  • Point of Impact (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #5)
  • Virtual Vandals (Tom Clancy's Net Force Explorers, #1)
  • Operation Barracuda (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #2)
Jerome Preisler is a prolific author who has written over thirty books, including all eight novels in the #1 New York Times best-selling TOM CLANCY'S POWER PLAYS series, and more recently the narrative nonfictions ALL HANDS DOWN, CODE NAME CAESAR and DANIEL'S MUSIC. He is the author of the recently re-booted NET FORCE series, based on the New York Times bestselling series co-created by Tom Clancy. ...more
More about Jerome Preisler...

Tom Clancy's Power Plays (8 books)
  • Politika (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #1)
  • Shadow Watch (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #3)
  • Bio-Strike (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #4)
  • Cold War (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #5)
  • Cutting Edge (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #6)
  • Zero Hour (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #7)
  • Wild Card (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #8)