Start by marking “The Mike Hammer Collection, Volume II” as Want to Read:
The Mike Hammer Collection, Volume II

The Mike Hammer Collection, Volume II (Mike Hammer #4-6)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  311 ratings  ·  20 reviews
There's a kind of power about Mickey Spillane that no other writer can imitate. --The New York Times
Apparently. With his trend-setting Mike Hammer detective novels, Mickey Spillane shot to superstardom as one of the most notorious bestselling sensations in publishing history. This powerhouse collection includes three of the master's long-out-of-print greatest novels-toge...more
Published September 1st 2001 by New American Library

To ask other readers questions about The Mike Hammer Collection, Volume II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mike Hammer Collection, Volume II

Matthew
Spillane was one of the masters of noir hardboiled fiction and this volume collecting three stories surrounding his tough-guy hero Mike Hammer showcases his excellence in this genre. Hammer is a hard drinking, brawling, womanizing hero that hearkens back to an older, PC-less time. Through all the rough and tumble action, the stories are layered, balanced, and keep you guessing until the end. Crime fiction at its best.
Ron
May 11, 2008 Ron rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes mysteries
Recommended to Ron by: No one, I know his writing
Mickey Spillane is, as always, right on top of his game.
Ctk27
Crime noir fiction at its best.
Jacob McElroy
Mickey Spillane, while perhaps not as revered in literary circles as Dashiell Hammett or Raymond Chandler, provides what could be the greatest raw detective-adventure stories. Spillane's Hammer is more raw and brutal than either Hammett's Spade or Chandler's Marlowe; I think he's also more satisfying.
I admire Spillane as a writer for his honesty, if nothing else. A humorous anecdote has it that while on a radio show with a couple of other writers, the writers and host were quite keen on talking...more
Patricia Green
I really enjoyed this second collection. Mike Hammer is a strong character with a lot of personality. You have to consider the time these books were written, when deciding whether to buy or not. There are some currently politically incorrect ideas in them. But that's part of their beauty; they give you more than a glimpse into the period and make it real for you. What also fascinates me about the Mike Hammer collections are the abrupt endings. They fit the character so perfectly. Spillane did a...more
Trixie Fontaine
I didn't read everything in this book, but I love having these collections around just to dip into the atmosphere of them. They all suck at the end, and I think this collection is full of even more ridiculousness (a lot of Commie bullshit?) than the first one I read, but it's such an escape just to BEGIN each story. Finishing each story? Gets to be an obnoxious drag.
Christopher
It eventually is very, very formulaic, but I suppose that is the nature of its genre. Enjoyable until you realize it's always rinse, wash and repeat. Also, once Hammer gets a girlfriend his philandering just makes him seem even more of a jerk. In addition, this printing skipped pages in the last novel during a key part in the plot, making it unreadable. At that point I just gave up; so long, Hammer.
Zepp
Hmm. these seemed a little more mean spirited than those in Volume 1, some really nasty hate here. All we ask from Mickey is that they be Not bad- then they're great. This collection has a lot more bad than the first, and the anti-communist propaganda was embarassingly unreadable. (although this kind of propaganda made for some suavely subversive and touchingly pithy films in the 40s/50s).
Carmen
I gave up of the first story after 20pp. The Big Kill was better. Kiss Me Deadly was probably the best. The all just seem so full of cliches and he metaphor are laughable... so serious,self important and silly. Every woman he meets is gorgeous beyond belief and although Mike Hammer's face is often a bloody mess they all want to get him in bed. Disappointing.
Patrick
what can I say but brilliant .I read Spillane in my teens and I never forgot how good he was , so I thought I'd read them again , a bit dated but still a good read as long as you are not to PC or a feminist .If you fancy a good read try one of the omnibus collections I think you might be a convert .
Lynn
The first story was so so, but the the second 2 - Kiss me Deadly and One Lonely Night were pretty great. I think at least 60 percent of the text is spent describing women's legs, mouths and walks, but I kind of like it that way. It's not trashy, just noir-y. Summer reading yo.
Robert
Mike Hammer stories aren't for everyone. You'll know before you make it five pages in which camp you are in. I'm in the group of people who like them, and this collection was a nice way to burn through three stories at once.
B
Mike Hammer is like James Bond meets Clive Owen's character in "Shoot 'Em Up." He's hard-boiled, sexual, pissed off, and corny. I recommend this book for a good laugh and a quick read, nothing more.
Jacamo Peterson
All of the books I have listed here on the read shelf,I have indeed read.All have by my estimation a five star rating. Books that I did not like are not listed.I have been reading for over 50 years.
Will
Belt-whippin' communist ladies and shootin' guys in the face ought to be more fun.

Redeemed only by the phrase, "I am the evil for good!"
Scot Marvin
My favorite philosophy professor was a Micky Spillane fan. So, I decided to give Spillane a try. I'll stick to philosophy maybe.
Ty
This book is a duel between cheesiness and entertaining. Entertaining won out, but barely.
sarg
Read these books back in the 1950s loved them great private eye in the bogart genre Sam spade etc
Stacy Bender
Once I started I was hooked,
Peter
A chain smoker PI.
Colin Samson
Colin Samson marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Kenny Dickey
Kenny Dickey marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
  • Dark Passage
  • The Black Curtain
  • The Jugger (Parker, #6)
  • Nightmare Town
  • I Should Have Stayed Home
  • Nothing More than Murder
  • Scarface
  • The Hot Spot
  • Cockfighter
Mickey Spillane was one of the world's most popular mystery writers. His specialty was tight-fisted, sadistic revenge stories, often featuring his alcoholic gumshoe Mike Hammer and a cast of evildoers who launder money or spout the Communist Party line.

His writing style was characterized by short words, lightning transitions, gruff sex and violent endings. It was once tallied that he offed 58 peop...more
More about Mickey Spillane...
I, the Jury The Mike Hammer Collection: Volume I Kiss Me, Deadly My Gun Is Quick Vengeance Is Mine