The Illustrated Book of Myths

The Illustrated Book of Myths

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  18 reviews
"Uses classical cultural categories -- creation, destruction, fertility. and the gods' relationships with humans and animals -- to draw connections between the diverse traditions of five continents. A rich, handsome resource". -- Booklist
Hardcover
Published September 9th 1995 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley)

To ask other readers questions about The Illustrated Book of Myths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Illustrated Book of Myths

Serena
Between 1999-2002 I stumbled across this book in my school library, this is "The Book" (ironically, I remembered more of it's title than I thought I did) and some of it's imagery stayed with me as I have studied world mythology ever since.

I couldn't find the like of those illustrations no matter where I looked, finally I got tired of not knowing. I went to the link of my old middle school, and I searched "mythology" in the library database so I had a better place to start.

There was this book "...more
Abigail
A very important book in my intellectual development, as odd as that sounds. It was this collection that honed my interest in mythology, first piqued by The Hobbit and various other children's literature, and led me to the conclusion that I loved the Norse ones best. So from this book I delved further into Norse mythology, from there to the Icelandic Sagas, from there to Laxness and Sigur Ros and trips to Iceland and a slightly consuming passion for all things Icelandic. I have a lot for which...more
Evan
Jan 08, 2010 Evan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: myths
i read many myths one of them was sumerian and called gigamesh was 2/3 divine he traveled far away to discover the story of before the flood and other secrets of the world he built the city of uruk one day aruru the goddess of creation created a strong warrior named enkido to become gilgamesh's freind sadly enkido died of illness and gilgamesh set off to find out why people must die.

Illustrated Book of Myths is a great myth book full of myths from everywhere.i like it because its a little longer...more
Becky
This was one of my favorite books in elementary school, we had to read it for class. It encourages children to look at history and also to use their imaginations. It has been challenged in some school districts because it supposedly promotes “the use of black magic by children.” I don’t know if I’ve ever heard anything more ridiculous. You may not agree with ancient Egyptian mythology, however, you cannot say it has not had an effect on the modern day world. There is something to be said for col...more
♥Xeni♥
I absolutely adore the DK series. There are a few books in the series that are a bit worse (just badly done, or too detailed or not precise enough) but this one was not one of them!

This was my most favorite book for a really long time. I think I must have read it cover to cover at least 20 times. And I know most all of my mythology from this book.

The images are detailed and wonderful; the text is vivid and explanatory and the whole thing just makes me want to go back in time and relive the event...more
Chris Webber
I love love books like this. It is easy to read, has illustrations, and takes the reader down the path of why beliefs came to be from all sorts of vantage points. Comparative religion at a common-reader level. I would highly recommend this book as a primer to Joseph Campbell's books on myth. Myth is a powerful thing, and the storytelling adds value to the life experience.
Deirdre
This is handy to have in the classroom for students. The illustrations are nice, but I think more would have been great!
Ricardo Bizarro
Ricardo Bizarro
Traditional Lit

Philip, Neil and Mistry. The Illustrated Book Of Myths. New York: Dorling Kindersley
Publishing, Inc, 1995.

Summary: This book is divided into chapters describing different myths, tales, and
legends. For example, the chapter I read was on the creation of the earth and mankind.
There were different stories from all over the world and time periods. There were ideas
such as men derived from god’s sweat, cow milk ice, a cosmic egg, and things like that. It
was really...more
Maisan AlObaid
Entertaining book, I had so much fun reading all deferent kinds of myths though they all seem to have the same beliefs if I may say, they all believe that there is someone who is stronger then anybody else and there is two deferent powers one control the sun, life and the good well, On the other hand the diverts power is the one witch control the moon, death and the bad things in life, Overall I think its a great book witch can offer you a glimpse of other cultures.
Chase
Jan 08, 2010 Chase rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: myths
I read 2 myths from this book. The sky world is about 5 kids. The eldest brother dug a hole through the cloud they were on. After 4 of them got down, the youngest sister trapped them down there. The Great Flood was about this guy who survived a flood, and had a competion where he faced another guy to see who would rule the Earth.

I gave these stories 4 stars because they were pretty good.

I would recomend this book to anyone who likes myths.
Jen
anthology of myths. looks like it has short versions of some major myths from around the world. This book is recommended for Nicola's reading many times over the course of this first year of ancient history, however, Ryan and I agree she's not ready to be introduced to this form of literature. We'll be finding something else to replace this type of reading with for now. When we cycle around again in 4 years, I imagine she won't have any trouble with it.
Jenny
I got this book for Christmas when I was 11 years old, and it's the book that really made me fall in love with mythology. It made me realize there's so much stuff out there besides just the same Greek myths I was reading over and over again. This book has a lot to do with my career path and life choices. It actually means an awful lot to me, and it has a special place on my shelf.
Bubba
Good selection of myths from around the world. I did have to do some selective editing though. I don't think Truman needs to hear how the feathered serpent was tricked into bedding down w/his sister.
Emily Joyce
If any book from my childhood had a direct hand in convincing me that all religions are varying forms of expressing a universal spiritual experience, it was this book.
Libby
Dude. Great fun, makes no fricken' sense though. I mean, the Norse creation myth has gotta be the most ridiculous weird thing ever. :)
Theresa
social studies supplementary material for the classroom. on myths and legends around the world
Sovichea Kon
I love the combination of all myths of all culture come together.
Christa
Very great book. Great drawings also.
Tara
Tara added it
Jul 15, 2014
Skaitovas
Skaitovas marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Edwena
Edwena marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Lisa Foster
Lisa Foster marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Neil Philip is a writer, folklorist and poet. He is married to the artist Emma Bradford, and lives in the Cotswolds, England. Neil loves words, poetry, and the art of storytelling in all its forms. Among his many books are A Fine Anger, Victorian Village Life, The Cinderella Story, The Penguin Book of English Folktales, Mythology (with Philip Wilkinson), The Great Mystery, War and the Pity of War,...more
More about Neil Philip...
Best-Loved Poems The Illustrated Book of Fairy Tales: Spellbinding Stories from Around the World Celtic Fairy Tales Mythology Mythology of the World