Start by marking “The Illustrated Book of Myths” as Want to Read:
The Illustrated Book of Myths

The Illustrated Book of Myths

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  199 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
"Uses classical cultural categories -- creation, destruction, fertility. and the gods' relationships with humans and animals -- to draw connections between the diverse traditions of five continents. A rich, handsome resource". -- Booklist
Hardcover
Published September 9th 1995 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley)

To ask other readers questions about The Illustrated Book of Myths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Illustrated Book of Myths

Serena
Oct 20, 2012 Serena rated it it was amazing
Between 1999-2002 I stumbled across this book in my school library, this is "The Book" (ironically, I remembered more of it's title than I thought I did) and some of it's imagery stayed with me as I have studied world mythology ever since.

I couldn't find the like of those illustrations no matter where I looked, finally I got tired of not knowing. I went to the link of my old middle school, and I searched "mythology" in the library database so I had a better place to start.

There was this book "
Abi
May 27, 2008 Abi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very important book in my intellectual development, as odd as that sounds. It was this collection that honed my interest in mythology, first piqued by The Hobbit and various other children's literature, and led me to the conclusion that I loved the Norse ones best. So from this book I delved further into Norse mythology, from there to the Icelandic Sagas, from there to Laxness and Sigur Ros and trips to Iceland and a slightly consuming passion for all things Icelandic. I have a lot for which ...more
Becky
This was one of my favorite books in elementary school, we had to read it for class. It encourages children to look at history and also to use their imaginations. It has been challenged in some school districts because it supposedly promotes “the use of black magic by children.” I don’t know if I’ve ever heard anything more ridiculous. You may not agree with ancient Egyptian mythology, however, you cannot say it has not had an effect on the modern day world. There is something to be said for col ...more
Melissa Barbier
Oct 18, 2015 Melissa Barbier rated it it was amazing
Shelves: traditional-lit
This book includes a plethora of information matched with illustrations to back it up. The table of contents in itself is advanced in its 3 pages. It is broken down into Creation Myths, Beginnings, Fertility and Cultivation, Gods and People, Gods and Animals, Visions in the End, and Gods and Pantheons. Each story is labeled as to which culture it belongs to, and it spans a variety of cultures such as: Egyptian, Chinese, Japanese, Native American (multiple different tribes), Aboriginal Australian ...more
Evan
Jan 08, 2010 Evan rated it liked it
Shelves: myths
i read many myths one of them was sumerian and called gigamesh was 2/3 divine he traveled far away to discover the story of before the flood and other secrets of the world he built the city of uruk one day aruru the goddess of creation created a strong warrior named enkido to become gilgamesh's freind sadly enkido died of illness and gilgamesh set off to find out why people must die.

Illustrated Book of Myths is a great myth book full of myths from everywhere.i like it because its a little longer
Ann-lee
Jun 01, 2016 Ann-lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lapsepõlvelemmik!
Ryne Steinacker
Jan 07, 2016 Ryne Steinacker rated it it was amazing
This is the grade that my middle-school self would have given this book. (I haven't been able to read it since then, and like one other reviewer, I was very excited and happy to see "The Book" from my memories.) This collection interested me in fantasy and mythology more than anything else at the time, and the illustrations are superb. It's also a great introduction to world mythology for those who are only familiar with, say, the Greeks.

If I get my hands on a copy, I'll come back to this review
♥Xeni♥
I absolutely adore the DK series. There are a few books in the series that are a bit worse (just badly done, or too detailed or not precise enough) but this one was not one of them!

This was my most favorite book for a really long time. I think I must have read it cover to cover at least 20 times. And I know most all of my mythology from this book.

The images are detailed and wonderful; the text is vivid and explanatory and the whole thing just makes me want to go back in time and relive the event
Chris Webber
Apr 06, 2014 Chris Webber rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, nonfiction
I love love books like this. It is easy to read, has illustrations, and takes the reader down the path of why beliefs came to be from all sorts of vantage points. Comparative religion at a common-reader level. I would highly recommend this book as a primer to Joseph Campbell's books on myth. Myth is a powerful thing, and the storytelling adds value to the life experience.
James
Dec 11, 2014 James rated it liked it
Cool book although I don't find it to be great. I never feel truly engaged when reading it. This is more for a quick, 2-5 minute read. I bought it used and I'm happy to have it on the coffee table.
Morgane
Sep 13, 2014 Morgane rated it really liked it
A good, simple introduction to various myths from around the world. There's more breadth than depth, but it was interesting to see the similarities between cultures. And the illustrations are wonderful.
Nikkita
Mar 18, 2015 Nikkita rated it really liked it
Excellent resource for some of the more common myths around the world. The pictures of artifacts and the drawings really help give life to the stories.
Deirdre
This is handy to have in the classroom for students. The illustrations are nice, but I think more would have been great!
Ricardo Bizarro
Jul 12, 2011 Ricardo Bizarro rated it did not like it
Ricardo Bizarro
Traditional Lit

Philip, Neil and Mistry. The Illustrated Book Of Myths. New York: Dorling Kindersley
Publishing, Inc, 1995.

Summary: This book is divided into chapters describing different myths, tales, and
legends. For example, the chapter I read was on the creation of the earth and mankind.
There were different stories from all over the world and time periods. There were ideas
such as men derived from god’s sweat, cow milk ice, a cosmic egg, and things like that. It
was really
Maisan AlObaid
Mar 02, 2013 Maisan AlObaid rated it really liked it
Entertaining book, I had so much fun reading all deferent kinds of myths though they all seem to have the same beliefs if I may say, they all believe that there is someone who is stronger then anybody else and there is two deferent powers one control the sun, life and the good well, On the other hand the diverts power is the one witch control the moon, death and the bad things in life, Overall I think its a great book witch can offer you a glimpse of other cultures.
Chase
Jan 08, 2010 Chase rated it really liked it
Shelves: myths
I read 2 myths from this book. The sky world is about 5 kids. The eldest brother dug a hole through the cloud they were on. After 4 of them got down, the youngest sister trapped them down there. The Great Flood was about this guy who survived a flood, and had a competion where he faced another guy to see who would rule the Earth.

I gave these stories 4 stars because they were pretty good.

I would recomend this book to anyone who likes myths.
Jen
Jul 21, 2010 Jen rated it really liked it
anthology of myths. looks like it has short versions of some major myths from around the world. This book is recommended for Nicola's reading many times over the course of this first year of ancient history, however, Ryan and I agree she's not ready to be introduced to this form of literature. We'll be finding something else to replace this type of reading with for now. When we cycle around again in 4 years, I imagine she won't have any trouble with it.
Jenny
Dec 29, 2010 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: owns, mythology
I got this book for Christmas when I was 11 years old, and it's the book that really made me fall in love with mythology. It made me realize there's so much stuff out there besides just the same Greek myths I was reading over and over again. This book has a lot to do with my career path and life choices. It actually means an awful lot to me, and it has a special place on my shelf.
Bubba
Good selection of myths from around the world. I did have to do some selective editing though. I don't think Truman needs to hear how the feathered serpent was tricked into bedding down w/his sister.
Emily Joyce
Feb 20, 2012 Emily Joyce rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
If any book from my childhood had a direct hand in convincing me that all religions are varying forms of expressing a universal spiritual experience, it was this book.
Olivia
Jul 09, 2011 Olivia rated it really liked it
Dude. Great fun, makes no fricken' sense though. I mean, the Norse creation myth has gotta be the most ridiculous weird thing ever. :)
Theresa
Oct 23, 2013 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
social studies supplementary material for the classroom. on myths and legends around the world
Sovichea Kon
Jun 18, 2014 Sovichea Kon rated it really liked it
I love the combination of all myths of all culture come together.
Christa
Apr 06, 2013 Christa rated it it was amazing
Very great book. Great drawings also.
GiGi
GiGi marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Susanna
Susanna marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Nichole Lynn *BOOKWYRM BABE*
Nichole Lynn *BOOKWYRM BABE* rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2016
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
  • Vampires and Vampirism
  • Pessi ja Illusia
  • Encyclopedia of World Mythology
  • Top Ten Greek Legends
  • Berts dagbok (Bert, #1)
  • Daily Life in Medieval Times
  • 100 Characters from Classical Mythology: Discover the Fascinating Stories of the Greek and Roman Deities
  • The Encyclopedia of Demons and Demonology
  • The Children's Illustrated Bible
  • She's All That!: A Look-It-Up Guide to the Goddesses of Mythology
  • Prince Cinders
Neil Philip is a writer, folklorist and poet. He is married to the artist Emma Bradford, and lives in the Cotswolds, England. Neil loves words, poetry, and the art of storytelling in all its forms. Among his many books are A Fine Anger, Victorian Village Life, The Cinderella Story, The Penguin Book of English Folktales, Mythology (with Philip Wilkinson), The Great Mystery, War and the Pity of War, ...more
More about Neil Philip...