City of Man: Religion and Politics in a New Era

City of Man: Religion and Politics in a New Era

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  12 reviews
An era has ended. The political movement that most galvanized evangelicals for more than a quarter-century, the Religious Right, is fading away. What lies ahead is unclear.Into this uncertainty, former White House insiders Michael Gerson and Peter Wehner call evangelicals toward a new kind of political engagement -- a kind that is better both for the church and the country...more
Published September 27th 2010 by Moody Publishers

To ask other readers questions about City of Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City of Man

Justin Tapp

Since I've been working through various presentations of Christian interaction with society, particularly in the economic sphere, I thought it useful to read some modern takes on Christian involvement in politics. I thought Gerson/Wehner would be a good contrast with Jim Wallis. Gerson is a former speech writer in the G.W. Bush White House and current Washington Post pundit (and occasional NewsHour fill-in for David Brooks) and Wehner was also involved in policy strategy for Bush. Both are profe...more
Tim Hoiland
I finished reading City of Man: Religion and Politics in a New Era a couple of weeks ago, and I’ve been sitting on it, mulling it over, ever since. It’s an important book, warranting a great deal of careful thought, and it’s also one of those rare books on US politics that actually does more to promote civil discourse in the public square than to erode it.

The central question of the book is one both urgent and timeless: "What does it mean to be a Christian citizen in history’s most influential n...more
Donal Elliott
Dec 30, 2010 Donal Elliott is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am challenged by the two authors who are committed Christians and able to reflect thoughtfully and critically on how Christians should think about the role and purpose of government. While they acknowledge their own "conservative" slant, they see that ideological bias can blind Christians (left or right) from a biblical approach to policy and how politics is practiced. They recognize that while there is a proper place and responsibility for government to address justice in the public square, i...more
Elizabeth
A must read for all incumbent and aspiring public servants with Christian faith. It's not a theological book but rather a series of research study perusing the concept of religion and politics. A great book that takes you from history of Christianity movement in the context of our government to how Christians should serve in public service. It doesn't provide you with perfect answers but definitely provides insightful pointers. Read only to have your eyes renewed from distrust of and hopelessnes...more
David
A very muddled explanation of the relation between faith and culture/politics, which is disappointing but unsurprising considering how much confusion there is among Christians today on how their faith relates to the pluralistic public square. It also didn't help that virtually all of the examples were partisan (guess which side). A much better treatment of this subject can be found in Tim Keller's book Center Church (Part 5: Cultural Engagement).
Chris Griffith
Interesting and brief introduction to religion and politics. Strong points: writers encourage Christians to not be separatists but rather be engaged in what's happening in the political realm. Weakness: Very little mention of the Lordship of Christ and the need to disciple the nations. These two former George W. Bush speech writers appear to be no fans of any type of Christendom.
Jeremy
A gracious call to Christians to recognize their call to citizenship that seeks common good, exercises gracious persuasion, and respects the proper bounds of the noble calling of political involvement as work firmly situated in our present residence in the City of Man, with the hopeful anticipation of the coming City of God as our final home.
Jstrick
A good book in an area that needs some serious theological thinking, but it wasn't quite as deep as I had hoped. The last few chapters had some solid practical advice. I am still looking for a book that deals more with the theory and history of political thought from a Christian perspective.
Andrew Mcneill
A useful overview of why and how Christians should be involved in politics. The writers come from a conservative stance and while I disagree with some of their conclusions, they state their positions humbly and with grace. A short read, but a worthwhile one.
Casey
Loved this book. If I had high school-aged kids, this would be mandatory reading.
Nina
Another 3.5. I was hoping for more specifics/direction/elaboration in the last chapter.
John Feaver
Makes you think. The book is uneven in spots.
Ross Estep
Ross Estep marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
R Hoober
R Hoober marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Justin Edgar
Justin Edgar marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Ben
Ben added it
May 03, 2014
Cameron West
Cameron West marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Summer Vespestad
Summer Vespestad marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Barbara D.Larick
Barbara D.Larick marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Joey Elliott
Joey Elliott marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Orlando Cordero
Orlando Cordero marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2013
Mary Baker
Mary Baker marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
John
John marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Michael John Gerson is an op-ed columnist for The Washington Post and a senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations. He served as President George W. Bush's chief speechwriter from 2001 until June 2006, as a senior policy advisor from 2000 through June 2006, and was a member of the White House Iraq Group.
More about Michael J. Gerson...
Heroic Conservatism: Why Republicans Need to Embrace America's Ideals (And Why They Deserve to Fail If They Don't) Heroic Conservatism