Start by marking “Conquest of Mind” as Want to Read:
Conquest of Mind

Conquest of Mind

Getting caught in unwanted thoughts and emotions can feel like an inevitable part of life. But Easwaran, who taught meditation for nearly 40 years, shows a way to break free.
Just as a fitness routine can result in a strong, supple body, spiritual disciplines can shape a secure personality and a resilient, loving mind.
And opportunities to grow stronger spiritually arise not
Published July 1st 2010 by Nilgiri Press (first published February 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Conquest of Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conquest of Mind

Nikki
Sep 02, 2012 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been wanting to start a meditation practice for some time, but haven't been quite certain of how to do it. This book was pivotal in helping me 'make the leap'. I've read many books by Eastern authors and Easwaran is, by far, the clearest to understand. He is actually renown for his translation of some of the Eastern scriptures. This book is instructional, inspirational and enjoyable to read. I actually read it twice, I found it so useful. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in ...more
Greg
Aug 20, 2010 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great primer and reference on starting mediation and how to train the mind to actualize your true Self.
William Berry
Mar 23, 2016 William Berry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I ordered several books for my trip to Japan, to read on the long flight. None of them arrived, and I resorted to taking one from a client-donated shelf of books in my office. (This despite having four books I’m currently reading). It was the title that grabbed me, “Conquest of Mind” by Eknath Easwaran.

The book is excellent. Sure, there are parts where I think he goes on too long with personal anecdotes to make his point, but who doesn’t? It’s also clear he sees meditation as the cure for all m
John Burns
Aug 25, 2016 John Burns rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is my third Eknath book (including his translation of the Gita). I found that I wasn't really sure what the premise of this book actually was, or how the subject matter is distinct from any of his other books. I found myself mostly re-reading things I'd already read in the previous book I read by him, The Mantram Handbook. This is definitely not the way (certainly not the most efficient way) to get into Eknath as he seems to waffle on a lot in these books and repeats himself a lot between b ...more
Drew Fagot
Jan 09, 2016 Drew Fagot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Easwaran's work. He's great when it comes to understanding mindfulness on a deeper level. This is a type of read that's good to read slow and let it absorb. I loved his analogies on everything from his life experiences. It allows you to know he practiced this as well and gives it authenticity.

This book is not s religious book. Easwaran teaches on a non-denominational level and shows the benefits of being able to control your mind. He is right, it will be the greatest thing you
VENKATRAMAN C K
Nov 08, 2013 VENKATRAMAN C K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, 2013
Eknath Easwaran has the great ability to relate matters of spirituality to day to day affairs of humans. He being a spiritual guru himself does not preach but gently guides us thru a one to one communication style.

This book is beautifully written and makes you want to read his other three books on meditation techniques.
Ebrahim Khalil
Dec 18, 2015 Ebrahim Khalil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a beautiful outlook on what it's like to conquer the mind. I don't think Easwaran is enlightened though. This perspective might not be helpful long term as the ultimate truth doesn't care about beauty.
Lorraine
Nov 20, 2011 Lorraine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Somewhat of a dry read. I enjoyed that many of Buddha's quotes were used and shown how they relate to today's lifestyles. At the end of the day, philosophy is timeless which makes this a timeless read too.
Denise Tarasuk
Aug 25, 2013 Denise Tarasuk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eknath Easwaran is a superb writer. Conquest of Mind is life changing. I want to re-read Conquest of Mind until I have the ability to train my wild mind. This book is a must read for everyone.
Dr. Denise
Sayali Gadkari
the book primarily focuses on the importance of meditation. it is good but it does not tells us anything new from what we know. it is definitely motivating.
Susan
Jun 20, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of Easwaran's best introductions to his teachings. Interesting and insightful observations about the processes of thinking, no matter whether you're interested in meditation or not.
edypekalongan
this book give me lesson how to understanding
inner space and information how to control our mind.

Kajal Pashmi
Feb 28, 2016 Kajal Pashmi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I had no idea about how to meditate and what being mindful meant. This book changed my life and was a great gateway to spirituality and practicing mindfulness.
Martha
Oct 20, 2012 Martha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
fascinating ... though no quotable gems
Vishnu V
Mar 21, 2013 Vishnu V rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wonderful guide to meditation!
Kari
Kari rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2016
Davidette
Davidette rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2014
Ilya Mrz
Ilya Mrz rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2015
Dolores
Dolores rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2015
Michael Burke
Michael Burke rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2014
K
K rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2014
Mavrick
Mavrick rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2014
Jillian
Jillian rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2012
Caroline
Caroline rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2016
Anders Haldin
Anders Haldin rated it really liked it
May 20, 2017
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2014
Suhanthi Mohanadas
Suhanthi Mohanadas rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2011
William Patterson
William Patterson rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2014
Vishnu
Vishnu rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Gentleman: A Timeless Guide to Fashion
  • Smart Talk: The Public Speaker’s Guide to Success in Every Situation
  • Esquire The Handbook of Style: A Man's Guide to Looking Good
  • 101 Dog Tricks: Step by Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog
  • The Beginner's Guide to Dog Agility
  • The Anatomy of Stretching
  • Fragrant Palm Leaves: Journals, 1962-1966
  • The 8 Minute Organizer: Easy Solutions to Simplify Your Life in Your Spare Time
  • Remember Everything You Want and Manage the Rest: Improve your Memory and Learning, Organize Your Brain, and Effectively Manage Your Knowledge
  • How To Say It
  • Deep Ecology for the Twenty-First Century
  • Classics of Indian Spirituality: Includes: The Bhagavad Gita, The Dhammapada, and The Upanishads
  • The Hidden Spirituality of Men: Ten Metaphors to Awaken the Sacred Masculine
  • Enduring Grace: Living Portraits of Seven Women Mystics
  • Awakening Shakti: The Transformative Power of the Goddesses of Yoga
  • Longing for Darkness: Tara and the Black Madonna
  • Pagan Visions for a Sustainable Future
  • Replenishing the Earth: Spiritual Values for Healing Ourselves and the World

“Don’t try to control the future,” he would say. “Work on the one thing you can learn to control: your own responses.” 1 likes
“Reason tells the soul how mistaken it is in thinking that all these earthly things are of the slightest value by comparison with what it is seeking. A little recollection reminds it that all these things come to an end. And faith instructs it in what the soul must do to find satisfaction. . . .” 1 likes