Tapping the Dream Tree

Tapping the Dream Tree (Newford #12)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  1,736 ratings  ·  50 reviews
World Fantasy Award-winning author of The Onion Girl

A brand-new installment in the Newford saga, the World Fantasy Award-winning series of urban fantasy fiction by a master of the form.

Charles de Lint's urban fantasies, including Moonheart, Forests of the Heart, and The Onion Girl, have earned him a devoted following and critical acclaim as a master of contemporary magical...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Tor Books (first published November 20th 2002)

Julia
What a great collection! Rereading “Trading Hearts at the Half Kaffe Cafe” got me thinking that Adrian Paul (the actor who did "Highlander" the tv show) would be perfect as Lyle the shy investment counselor/ werewolf and I never do that.
“Making a Noise in This World” reminded me of something Sherman Alexie would write and maybe film.
“Embracing the Mystery” and “Pixel Pixies” are both about the used bookseller Holly Rue. “The Witching Hour” is about Geordie and Christie’s brother who only did t...more
Arielle Walker
And again, de Lint makes his way back to my "favourite authors" list. While not quite reaching the magic of Dreams Underfoot, Tapping the Dream Tree is filled with beautiful writing and this time, most of the stories are heart-warming too. There are only two here that I would consider dark, involving an innocent boy on death row, and also a ghost seeking revenge on a serial killer.

The other stories are fanciful and lovely (though often still with that hint of darkness). There's the werewolf goi...more
Maura
what i love about Charles de Lint's books are (1) how the world is recognizably ours but with magic just sort of off to the side where you're not looking; (2) how people are generally good -- not perfect, sometimes total screwups, but always having a decent core; (3) how it inspires you to appreciate your own life, whatever it is, without being all preachy about it.

I'm pretty sure this could be a decent intro to the Newford series -- it definitely helps to have met some of the characters before...more
Steve Bouchard
I love Charles de Lint's books, even though I haven't been keeping up with them for the past several years. "Yarrow" was one of the first fanasy books I read, and he quickly became a favorite author. It's his dependable mix of myth into real life that's a constant draw. That said, this is a typical Newford collection. Not that it's a bad thing, but the cut of story is usually pretty similar--slices of life where reality and magic meet; people coming to terms with who they are and what's (previou...more
Mecca
Me favorite Charles De Lint book...if I had to pick just one :)
Bethany
This is a collection of short stories about Newford, a town that Charles de Lint really likes writing about. In Newford, everything has a magical twist to it, and there are doorways to other worlds and mythological creatures walking the streets.

The Good:

The stories in themselves were interesting, and I have been finding myself more and more attracted to short story books. I am an English major, and in the last few months, I have become fascinated by the way that authors can use a few pages to c...more
Lis Carey
This is a hefty collection of de Lint's Newford short stories, several of them published previously available only in limited edition chapbooks or collections, and one of them, "The Witching Hour," is original to this collection. There's a good mix here of the optimistic and the grim, familiar Newford characters and new faces. Jilly, Geordie, and Christy each have the lead in stories of their own, while others feature new characters or characters who have been minor figures in other Newford tale...more
Laurie
After a couple of grim novels in a row, followed by a nonfiction, I needed something like Charles de Lint’s fantasy to clear my mental palate. This thick volume of short stories (all but one being reprints) did the job. These are Newford stories, my favorite fantasy place.

Newford is a special place. It’s a fairly big city, somewhere in North America, with brand new parts and old, run down parts. There are a lot of artistic folks living there, and the city shares its space with magical, non-huma...more
Isabel
"I lived in a tree," he said. "Not in some little house nestled up in its branches, but deep inside the trunk itself where the sap flows and old secrets cluster. It was a time, let me tell you, but long gone now. Then I was a king in a forest of green, now I live like a beggar in a forest of stone."

Lots of short stories plus a novella called "Seven Wild Sisters".

Unfortunately, this book contains the most annoying story called "The Words that Remain". A young woman who is brilliant at every crea...more
Kerry
As much as I enjoy the full lenght novels in Charles de Lint's Newford series, I have to say that I think I enjoy his short story anthologies even more. This one, Tapping the Dream Tree, had a wide range of stories. From the fairly light-hearted Pixel Pixies, Big City Littles and Trading Hearts at the Half Kaffe Cafe to the darker (and freakier)
Wingless Angels and Sign Here, there is a little something for every taste.

My particular favorite story was The Words that Remain, where a woman litera...more
Sam Colloff
this is a second read through, which most of charles de lint's work is for me, I get something more out of them every time. all I can say is "thanks" to this author, for changing my perspective and waking my creativity with every read. this is how reading should make you feel.
Allan
This is a collection of truly great stories. If you're familiar with other tales in this series, this is a great addition. If you're new to Newford it's a good introductory read even if it is #12. You can catch up later. These stories give leads to several of the characters from other books and introduce new ones. They explain the WildWood Webpage, and other story elements appearing elsewhere. Charles de Lint is a great storyteller and a luminous writer whose prose will haunt and carry you along...more
Chere
I'd only previously read Charles de Lint in anthologies, and while this is already his fourth Newford story collection, it's the perfect introduction for me to his magical city and its fascinating inhabitants. It's exactly my type of fantasy -- an urban setting that I can very easily relate to, but filled with wonders big and small. A regular cast of characters keep appearing in his tales, sometimes in center of the story and sometimes on the edges. While the stories can stand alone, reading the...more
John
I'm not a great reader of short stories, but I really like Charles de Lint and especially his Newford books. This collection of 17 stories and 1 novella is simply wonderful. Lots of magic, lots of music, some funny, some quite dark in tone, but they are beautifully written. Old friends like Jilly and Christy pop in and we find out a bit more about them.
My favourites in the set are "Ten For The Devil", (fancy meeting Robert Johnson here) and "Pixel Pixies". I just love the idea of a hob in a book...more
Andree
Nice easily digestible stories for cosy bedtime reads, where good ultimately wins and magic and music are almost one and the same (not like real life at all....)
I like CdL stories but they are not great literature (sorry but they don't meet the Lessing/Le Guin bench mark).
Not one to keep on the shelves
Mercadeez
I absolutely love Charles de Lint. When I found that he had whole collections of his books I was so excited! I love reading these modern day fairy tales. It brings magic into a world where technology rules. Pixie Pixels was by far my favorite because of how it ties magic and technology together. And also Granny Weather for its dream like essences that I feel I can connect to and visit if I want to.

If you love magic and fairies, and worlds not too far from our own you should definitely pick up t...more
Rachel
This is a great collection of short stories about Newford. Generally, I don't like short story collections, because I find it hard to switch context so quickly. But all the stories blend together beautifully, and because they're not limited by the need to stretch a story to a full book length, they're more mythic and somehow more substantial. It's a bit like reading a book of fables. Cesar and I frequently bemoan the lack of mythology in daily life, and the resulting spiritual poverty -- this co...more
Rockettttt
This was a random find at a used book store. I was attracted by the beautiful cover art and couldn't be happier I picked it up. This was my first trip to Newford; undoubtedly there will be many more. This collection of short stories spoke candidly about the human condition in a way I had never experienced before. Life and death were at the center of every story, mixing science fiction with a keen sense of existentialism. De Lint did an excellent job here, and I hope his other works live up to th...more
Tommy /|\
A collection of short stories from DeLint's Newford world. I loved every single story in this book. DeLint's Newford stories remind me more of a mythological tale than a Fantasy story. Each character is given a chance to reveal as much of their background in each story (or as little) as seems necessary. The magic side of things - the fey, the Crow Girls (my favorites!), and a large multitude of others - is perfectly blended for both the believer and the skeptic. Absolutely loved it.
Cindy
More short stories to read as interludes while I am still working on Anna Karenina. I have mixed feelings about de Lint. I enjoy his numerous books and stories, but there is something about them that makes me feel like they are too simple, or maybe it is the repetition of themes. Maybe it is the part of me that forgot that I like fairy stories and feels a little goofy about it. Maybe I feel trapped in Newford, but it's not a bad place to be... (May 06, 2004)
Cupcakencorset
A terrific collection of short stories, culminating in a delightful novella. The tales here are mostly set outside Newford proper, but they are of a piece with its mythology and aesthetic. I loved seeing new characters and new wrinkles on the magic and mysteries of Newford. (finished 2/26/2012)
Shoshi
The short stories contained in this collection were mainly well written, though the quality of their plots/reliance on "spiritualism" varied. Generally the ones that relied heavily on "spiritualism" were less enjoyable for me, but if you're into that kind of thing it would get 4 stars.
Eeiko
This book of short stories is okay. The ideas and plots are really great, but they lack that extra, oomph, in the writing to make it really great. It's just kind of boring and passive. And at the end of every story you get a lame little lesson, which is annoying.
Adam
Never understood why Charles De Lint is not that popular in the UK. His books do have an American-ness about them, but the relationships and feelings are primarily human. A series of short stories set in the fictional Newford, where magic abounds.
Melanti
So glad to get back into Newford. I keep trying de Lint's pre- and post-Newford books, but none of them seems to have that special something that his Newford anthologies do!

I think de Lint's greatest strength is his short fiction.
JM
Newford isn't static and the information age is here to stay. This short story collection takes us back to see some old friends and introduces us to new faces and the modern Newford that's the same, but different, from what we're used to.
Karly Noelle Abreu
While not as magical as some of his previous story collections, this collection takes you through the city of Newford and beyond into surrounding realms of imagination. A must for any de Lint fan.
Peter Centorcelli
I have never been disappointed with a de Lint book. This is no different. An excellent visit into the Newford confines and even a visit from the crow sisters which is always a good thing!
Scarlettdrawers
A fantastical world, riddled with myths and magic crammed in betwixt the modern technology. A great book, which means I have to go read the rest of his works.
Mo Hammer!
What can I say? This man writes as a woman better than many chicks do. I'm pretty sure he's my soul mate. Oh...the book was excellent,too!
  • The Essential Bordertown (Borderland, #4)
  • The Coyote Road: Trickster Tales
  • Welcome to Bordertown (Borderland, #5)
  • Emerald Magic: Great Tales of Irish Fantasy
  • Finder (Borderlands)
  • Hannah's Garden
  • Elsewhere (Borderlands, #1)
  • A Stir of Bones (Red Heart of Memories, # 0.5)
  • Freedom and Necessity
  • Flights: Extreme Visions of Fantasy
  • Giant Bones
Charles de Lint is a Canadian writer of Dutch origins.
More about Charles de Lint...
The Blue Girl (Newford, #15) The Onion Girl (Newford, #11) Dreams Underfoot (Newford, #1) Someplace to Be Flying (Newford, #8) Moonheart

“We end up stumbling our way through the forest, never seeing all the unexpected and wonderful possibilities and potentials because we're looking for the idea of a tree, instead of appreciating the actual trees in front of us.” 37 likes