Start by marking “Streams of Consciousness: Hip-Deep Dispatches from the River of Life” as Want to Read:
Streams of Consciousness: Hip-Deep Dispatches from the River of Life

Streams of Consciousness: Hip-Deep Dispatches from the River of Life

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  5 reviews
This collection is about fishing and everything but fishing. From the trout streams of Montana to the shores of New England, to the spring creeks of Chile’s Patagonia to the clear waters of Belize, Hull regales readers with humility and hilarity. In Montana he fishes fabled trout streams in twilight; the day runs down while his brother’s time literally runs out. In a small ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Lyons Press

To ask other readers questions about Streams of Consciousness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Streams of Consciousness

Jim
This guy writes really well. I find some of his subject matter a bit difficult, since he and I don't share all of the same fishing interests.

Nevertheless, in my opinion he writes better than most fly fishing writers. His story about his dog is told lovingly and with the respect that such a fine companion deserves. Of all the pieces in the book, this is certainly my favorite.

A review of his publications reveals that Professor Hull has written for publications other than those dedicated solely t
Elizabeth Olson
Fly fishing as metaphor for life? Unexpectedly, yes. With language so exquisitely clean and sharp it almost hurts to read, Hull moves chapter by chapter from the specific and seemingly prosaic (the challenges of a particular fishing adventure) to the universal the challenges of remaining fully alive, fully present and fully open, even through pain and loss). Beautiful.
R.
I must confess a conflict of interest here, as I grew up in Jeff Hull's small town; his parents and mine were the closest of friends and my sister a member of Hull's close group of friends in high school. That being said, Hull is one of the more intellectual sport-fishing writers to come along, and anyone who appreciates fly fishing will savor the read here.
Doug
I enjoyed the hell out of this book. Hull writes simply but weaves a great tale, without the pretense and frou-frou of a lot of fly-fishing literature. His language is plain, his stories are achingly real, and fishing provides a context, more of a backdrop, against which life unfurls. Great stuff.
Margaret Lee
I like much of these essays because mr hull is a fisherman with a conscience. I know virtually nothing about his type of fly fishing, but I appreciate learning about it. If you liked Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, you will like this for fishing.
John
John marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Mrc
Mrc marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Jason Hastings
Jason Hastings marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
Elocin
Elocin marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2013
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2012
Thom
Thom marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2011
treehugger
treehugger marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2011
Brandon Weaver
Brandon Weaver marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2010
Eli
Eli marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2009
Lyle
Lyle marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2009
Scott C
Scott C marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2008
Pale Morning Done: A Novel Spoor Pale Morning Done Fathers and Sons: An Anthology