Start by marking “Streams of Consciousness: Hip-Deep Dispatches from the River of Life” as Want to Read:
Streams of Consciousness: Hip-Deep Dispatches from the River of Life

Streams of Consciousness: Hip-Deep Dispatches from the River of Life

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  17 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
This collection is about fishing and everything but fishing. From the trout streams of Montana to the shores of New England, to the spring creeks of Chile’s Patagonia to the clear waters of Belize, Hull regales readers with humility and hilarity. In Montana he fishes fabled trout streams in twilight; the day runs down while his brother’s time literally runs out. In a small ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Lyons Press

To ask other readers questions about Streams of Consciousness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Streams of Consciousness

Kipp Wessel
Feb 20, 2016 Kipp Wessel rated it it was amazing
Great fisherman. Even better writer.

If you can't be standing in the pulsing, breathing rivers of western Montana right now, arcing monofilament with feathered flies across the current, you could be reading this book. So why aren't you doing either of these rewarding things?

Jim
Jul 13, 2009 Jim rated it really liked it
This guy writes really well. I find some of his subject matter a bit difficult, since he and I don't share all of the same fishing interests.

Nevertheless, in my opinion he writes better than most fly fishing writers. His story about his dog is told lovingly and with the respect that such a fine companion deserves. Of all the pieces in the book, this is certainly my favorite.

A review of his publications reveals that Professor Hull has written for publications other than those dedicated solely t
Elizabeth Olson
Apr 03, 2010 Elizabeth Olson rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010
Fly fishing as metaphor for life? Unexpectedly, yes. With language so exquisitely clean and sharp it almost hurts to read, Hull moves chapter by chapter from the specific and seemingly prosaic (the challenges of a particular fishing adventure) to the universal the challenges of remaining fully alive, fully present and fully open, even through pain and loss). Beautiful.
R. Shurmer
Sep 18, 2010 R. Shurmer rated it liked it
I must confess a conflict of interest here, as I grew up in Jeff Hull's small town; his parents and mine were the closest of friends and my sister a member of Hull's close group of friends in high school. That being said, Hull is one of the more intellectual sport-fishing writers to come along, and anyone who appreciates fly fishing will savor the read here.
Doug
Dec 02, 2010 Doug rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the hell out of this book. Hull writes simply but weaves a great tale, without the pretense and frou-frou of a lot of fly-fishing literature. His language is plain, his stories are achingly real, and fishing provides a context, more of a backdrop, against which life unfurls. Great stuff.
Margaret Lee
Apr 22, 2013 Margaret Lee rated it really liked it
I like much of these essays because mr hull is a fisherman with a conscience. I know virtually nothing about his type of fly fishing, but I appreciate learning about it. If you liked Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, you will like this for fishing.
Rod
Rod rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2016
John Rich
John Rich marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Mike Eckhardt
Mike Eckhardt rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Kim Baron
Kim Baron rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2014
Mrc
Mrc marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Jason Hastings
Jason Hastings marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
Elocin
Elocin marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Patrick Flemming
Patrick Flemming rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2013
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2013
josh
josh rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2012
Zack Rayno
Zack Rayno rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2012
Timothy Kidder
Timothy Kidder rated it it was ok
Jul 28, 2012
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2012
Thom
Thom marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2011
treehugger
treehugger marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2011
Bill
Bill rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2010
Brandon Weaver
Brandon Weaver marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2010
Eli
Eli marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2009
Lyle
Lyle marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2009
David Simmons
David Simmons rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2009