Start by marking “Murder Carries a Torch (Southern Sisters Mystery, #7)” as Want to Read:
Murder Carries a Torch (Southern Sisters Mystery, #7)

Murder Carries a Torch (Southern Sisters #7)

4.29  ·  Rating Details ·  1,917 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
Though unalike as snowflakes, sisters Patricia Anne and Mary Alice share a sympathetic heart for their distraught cousin Luke -- known affectionately in his boyhood as "Pukey Lukey," because of his penchant for getting sick in moving vehicles. Luke is desperate to hunt down Virginia, his wife of forty years, who has run off with a housepainter/snake-handling preacher named ...more
Published (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Murder Carries a Torch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Carries a Torch

Ed
Mar 07, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sister and Mouse in this outing run up against a murder in a snake handling folks's church. They aren't sleuths in the strict sense of the word, but they figure out whodunit in their smart and funny way. I love how they two sisters interact with each other, and their very different personalities. A fun series by the late Anne George is one of my favorite cozy mystery reads.
Mary Beth
Jul 30, 2014 Mary Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 STARS! This has to be one of the best cozy mystery series out there. The sisters are hilarious. Patricia and Mary Alice are sisters and they solve mysteries. They received a phone call from their cousin Luke (whose nickname is Lukey Pukey because he had car sickness when he was a child) and he is frantic because his wife Virginia ran off with the painter /snake. handling preacher. He wants them to track down Virginia who has disappeared. They find out where the preacher lives. Virginia is no ...more
Barb
Jun 07, 2011 Barb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to put up this same review for the entire series. Instead of reading this set of books, I listened to the audiobook versions of the entire series. The series is about a couple of sisters that bumble onto murders and wind up solving them. I don't know if it's the books, or the reader that I liked the most. By the time I had finished a couple of the books, I felt like the reader and the characters were old friends. The stories are light, easy to follow, and not terribly complex, but to m ...more
Jane Stewart
Aug 27, 2014 Jane Stewart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Cozy mystery about two elderly sisters. Not what I like, but it might fit your mood.

It reminds me of the Steel Magnolias movie - women in a small southern town who get together and laugh, cry, and discuss their lives. Although instead of crying, there is a mystery to solve. It’s a folksy story about two sisters in their 60s and their families and neighbors. Lots of everyday dialogue with humorous conversation.

I was not drawn in. Characters and events were not unexpected or unusual enough for me.
Jane
Jan 29, 2011 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am very sad that this author has passed away. This is the last one that I get to read - and probably the best. There are snake handling religious folks, a wife that leaves her husband to go to a dance competition with and Internet acquaintance and another love interest for Aunt Sister. Both sisters are so interesting and the family is so warm and close. I'll miss reading about them.
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Luann
Nov 22, 2008 Luann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2008, adult
I recently read an old interview with Anne George where she gives a great summary of Murder Carries a Torch: "Patricia Anne and Mary Alice's cousin, Pukey Lukey, is in trouble. His wife has run away with a snake handling preacher from Chandler Mountain who has been been found dead. The girls to the rescue."

This would be in my top two or three favorite of the Southern Sisters mysteries. I found myself bursting out with laughter quite a few times while reading this. Patricia Anne and Mary Alice we
Nese
Sep 08, 2016 Nese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading this book because of the warm and authentic way it describes the colorful and quirky characters and their loving relationships with the friends and family. Two main characters in the book are relatable and so hilariously funny and reading about their relationships is like watching a funny sitcom. Not only the story flows so smoothly, but it has a steady pace with unexpected twists and turns. What is most entertaining is the descriptions of the paradoxes and humor in intimate rela ...more
Rebecca
Jan 08, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patricia Ann and her husband have just returned from Christmas in Warsaw with her daughter, when her cousin Luke shows up claiming his wife Virginia has run off with their house painter. He inveigles Patricia Ann and her sister Mary Alice to help him look for Virginia by finding the house painter's home on Chandler Mountain. Turns out he's also a preacher, and not only is he not there, but when Luke goes into the church to look for Virginia, he ends up knocked out and bleeding on the floor next ...more
Linda
Mar 06, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have loved all of the books that Anne George wrote. It saddens me that there will never be any more from this gifted author since she left us too soon. She had a way of writing that just drew the reader right into the story and I felt that I knew the two sisters and loved their humor. Every book I started reading made me laugh at the beginning and continued throughout. There was some serious situations however and the way the sisters solved murders was ingenious. Totally delightful.
Beth
Jul 07, 2016 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these southern sisters! Sister and Mouse are out to help their cousin, Pukey Lukey find out what happened to his wife. They get more than they bargained for when they stumble upon a murder.

These two sisters had me laughing all the way through the book. Mary Alice reminds me so much of my great aunt who will say whatever comes to mind, which keeps the family entertained. I enjoyed the writing in this book and I'm officially a fan of Ann George now.
Beth Haren
Jan 25, 2016 Beth Haren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Please see my review on Murder Boogies with Elvis (the last Southern Sisters Mystery) for my actual review. I elected to review the series rather than each individual book because they went so fast.

This was the seventh and made me laugh and remember family members. Total bubblegum, but good downtime read. Not sure about the accuracy of the handling community depiction.
Jodi Pruett
Nov 13, 2015 Jodi Pruett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Jodi by: libary
I have just found this author Anne George. These are shorter stories that are full of fun and laughs along with a "cozy mystery". I was looking for something that was a little mystery and a little funny. An easy read. The stories are told from one of the southern sixty something sisters point of view. Very enjoyable.
Sally Tarasoff
Sep 11, 2014 Sally Tarasoff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the crazy sisters in this book! I enjoyed the setting so much that when I finished the book I just had to go to the HEB (Texas grocery store chain) and get the fixings for fried chicken, corn bread, greens and pecan pie. Now I must go bake that pie....
Peggy
Mar 20, 2015 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 rounded up. How can you not like these sisters, who frequent a hair salon called Delta Hairlines? I will probably listen to all of these because they distract me from what I have to do at the gym. Anything that is entertaining enough to do that gets my vote.
Cindy
Jun 29, 2015 Cindy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was more than a little disappointed. I had it figured out way before the end. Who else had a great opportunity to put the snake in the car? Just the usual "sisters" antics. Too bad because I enjoyed others in the series.
Terri
Jun 07, 2014 Terri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is so good. Great story and the 2 southern sisters just make me laugh out loud. Unfortunately there is only one left in the series and the author, Ann George,has passed away. Will miss these ladies.
Linda
Mar 11, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bingo
I really enjoy the Southern Sisters mysteries and wish there were more of them. This one has the sisters getting mixed up with some murders up on Chandler Mountain and of course mayhem ensues.
Patty
Jul 01, 2016 Patty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Southern Sisters series by Anne George. This one is about snake handling holy rollers....and also about unhappy housewives.
Kristina
Feb 11, 2016 Kristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series and I will be saddened to no end that the author died.

Also - the narrator of the audiobooks is a priceless gem and is amazing in all ways. Don't read these books. Listen to them.
Pat
Jan 09, 2015 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, humor
Beach reading.
Cousin Pukey Lukey's wife left with a snake handling preacher. Dead woman in church. Aunt Sister finds a new boyfriend.
Sarah Adamson
Oct 27, 2015 Sarah Adamson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A fun mystery starting the southern sisters and a host of interesting characters! Nice twists and very easy read!
Meredith VanOordt
One of my favorites from one of my favorite series. So sad when she passed away.
Lorna
Apr 03, 2014 Lorna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually don't care for silly mysteries but in this case I do. I get a kick out of these two Southern sisters.
☯Emily
Easy 3.5 book. Delightful cozy about two 60ish sisters who live in Birmingham, AL. Their cousin's wife has disappeared and he asks them for help to track her down. That leads to a discovery of a murder in a small Alabama church. I thought the two sisters, who are polar opposites, were hilarious in their relationship with each other and with others in their family. The author of this series died in March 2001, so many of the other books in this series are getting hard to find. I hope to find a fe ...more
Patti
Aug 14, 2015 Patti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series was so much fun! I listened to them on audible as a way to calm myself during a particularly stressful couple of weeks. The characters were so well developed I feel like I know them personally.
Diana
Jul 03, 2011 Diana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light murder mystery. Two sixtyish sisters, Patricia Anne and Mary Alice become involved in the murder of two people. It starts when their cousin, Pukey Lukey, wife runs off with a painter who is painting their home. This man is not only a house painter, but a snake handling snake handler.
Story takes place in a "mountain" area of Alabama. Everyone in the story is a little flaky.
Ends up there are 2 murders. This is a story you can read when you are weary from stories that are so heavy that yo
Donna
Feb 01, 2016 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wonderful series continues to make me laugh
Patty Allen
Jun 05, 2015 Patty Allen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this serie, they are laugh out loud funny.
Janice
I continue to love this series; in this one, sisters Mary Alice (Sister) and Patricia Ann (Mouse) are trying to help their cousin Pukey Lukey track down his wife, who has run off with a house-painter/snake-handling preacher. Now the preacher (Monk) is dead, and the wife (Virginia) is missing. The bantering between these two sisters, ages 61 and 65, sometimes sounds like the sibling spats I had with my sisters when we were kids--these two continue their love/irritation for each other even as they ...more
  • Dead Man Docking (Bed-and-Breakfast, #21)
  • Mulch Ado About Nothing (Jane Jeffry, #12)
  • Murder Can Spoil Your Appetite (Desiree Shapiro Mystery, #7)
  • Withering Heights (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #11)
  • The Maggody Militia (Arly Hanks, #10)
  • Deadly Valentine (Death on Demand, #6)
  • Miss Julia Renews Her Vows (Miss Julia, #11)
Anne Carroll George was an American author and poet. She was Alabama's 1994 state poet. George died in 2001 of heart surgery complications.

Anne George was an Agatha Award-winner and a former Alabama State Poet. She was a cofounder of the Druid Press, and a regular contributor to literary and poetry publications. She was nominated for several awards, including the Pulitzer for a book of verse entit
More about Anne George...

Southern Sisters (8 books)
  • Murder on a Girls' Night Out (Southern Sisters, #1)
  • Murder on a Bad Hair Day (Southern Sisters, #2)
  • Murder Runs in the Family (Southern Sisters, #3)
  • Murder Makes Waves (Southern Sisters, #4)
  • Murder Gets a Life (Southern Sisters, #5)
  • Murder Shoots the Bull (Southern Sisters, #6)
  • Murder Boogies with Elvis (Southern Sisters, #8)