Start by marking “Afternoon On The Amazon (Magic Tree House #6)” as Want to Read:
Afternoon On The Amazon (Magic Tree House #6)

Afternoon On The Amazon (Magic Tree House #6)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  8,709 ratings  ·  244 reviews
Jack and Annie are ready for their next fantasy adventure in the bestselling middle-grade series—the Magic Tree House!

Vampire bats and killer ants?

That's what Jack and Annie are about to run into when the Magic Tree House whisks them away to the Amazon River. It's not long before they get hopelessly lost. Will they be able to find their way back to the tree house? Or are
Published June 9th 2010 by Random House Books for Young (first published August 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Afternoon On The Amazon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Afternoon On The Amazon

I said in my review of "Sunset of the Sabertooth" that I loathe these books, so I'm not going to say it again here. Logan actually didn't like this one so much as it fed his already growing fear of dangerous wildlife. And I find that a lackluster story interspersed with a wooden main character reading aloud from a reference book isn't really the way I want Logan to get his facts. In a 67-page story, here is what we got:
--The Amazon rainforest is hot & steamy, has a lot of plants, and is made
Jack & Annie are still on their quest to find 4 things in order to break the spell that the enchantress Morgan le Fey is under. This time, the object needs to be found in the depths of the Amazon Jungle. Danger lurks around every corner! Jack & Annie encounter Snakes, Marching Army Ants, Jaguars and many other creatures along the way. Will they find the second object? Will anyone help them this time? This book is full of adventure and danger. A msut read for all Magic Tree House readers. ...more
My six year old daughter loves this series and is reading it aloud to me.
Amanda Carpenter
As I always say, my 8 year old niece brought me the first 2 of these books to read. She loves them and she wanted me to read them too so we can talk about them. I find them fun and informative for kids about different time periods and different things around the world.

With book 5, I started reading them out loud to my dogs. (I know, you may think I am crazy - but they like them. Well one gets rather scared sometimes, but the other loves to listen). This one was way too scary for the one dog I h
The book, “Afternoon in the Amazon” is about a girl and a boy named Annie and Jack. They found a magic house to any where and they decide to go to the Amazon. They travel to the Amazon because they like the animals. When they get there they find a library with a woman inside. Her name is Morgan LaFay. She sends them on a journey to find four items. Throughout their journey they find some of the items. They find a boat and Annie sees a monkey. The monkey throws mangoes at them and follows them. T ...more
I think this book lends itself well to a unit study of the Amazon. You can use this as a jumping off point to study animals, geography, weather, etc.

My generic review for the Magic Tree House books -

We've loved them all so far. They are fun, easy to read and contain quite a bit of historical information. We use them as read-alouds, but most elementary/middle school kids could read them on their own.

It does have a touch of 'girl power' at the expense of making the brother seem a little dumb. Th
Alyssa Ruehl
personal reaction
This book and series has been one of my all time favorites. The adventures Jack and Annie go on are incredible, and it is very educational too. I remember learning about space from these books, and I still keep this thought with me today. I chose this particular novel because I didn't remember it as well as the other ones I had so I gave it a reread and enjoyed it. The relationship between Jack and Annie is great to acknowledge as well, because I can relate since I have two sib
Rosa Cline
This is sixth in the series of books the Magic Tree House. Although it is a chapter book my son and I sat and read it for about 30 minutes or so. Very interesting, keeping our attention. Just enough 'Science' to keep it educational but yet enough imagination in it to keep it fun too. Looking forward to reading some more.

This was wasn't disappointing after enjoying the first one as much as we did. Each book apparently will have a 'guide' to the two children in the book but to the reader-listener
Rick Silva
The Kiddo continues to bring home Magic Treehouse books from his school library. This one was particularly fun for us because the day after we read it, we got to spend some time in a real tropical rain forest (the Can Gio Mangrove reserve, just outside of Saigon).

As for the book, it was nonstop action from the moment the kids arrive in the rain forest. They encounter all of the traditional "scary" rain forest creatures, and basically bounce around from one mode of imperilment to the next until t
I read the Swedish translation, where the kids are called Viktor and Hanna. In their magical tree house they can open a book and travel to any adventure they point to. In this book they go to the Amazon rainforest where they come across different dangerous animals. This series is popular at my school library, and I guess it's fun to read after getting past beginner chapter books. I personally found the story a bit boring as there are no real interactions. Viktor and Hanna simply run from problem ...more
I liked it.

what did you like about it?
Xperia play with it but I don't know what you doing today and tomorrow night at the moment but I don't know what you doing today and tomorrow night at the moment but I don't know what you doing today and tomorrow night if I can help them out the moment and then you I was thinking that it will work with a team to see the movie and then we is not an easy to it as well iiii yo you doing today and tomorrow night at the moment yhknjcfhxdgd,gjdxjgdxfxdy tv context
At last i feel loved
I liked it because they went to the amazon and saw diffrent animals

Aug 19, 2015 Jabari rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 5b
the hall set of the magic tree house is so interesting especially the afternoon on the Amazon . when it is afternoon in the frog creek Anne and Jack went up to the three house they are going to find the opening book when they found it, then the adventure begin. When they are at the amazon they meet the army ants, piranhas, crocodile, snack, jaguar, vampire bats and the monkey. At the last the monkey give them the forth thing.
A friend got us into these books about 4 months ago and we've probably read 15-20 or so in the series since then. I just chose this one to review because it was one of Eric's favorites.

Eric is 4 1/2 and it feels like we have read every picture book under the sun to him. He likes these because they have some pictures, follow a similiar pattern for each book, are exciting but not too scary, and he learns about new places. We do them as a read-aloud before bed. I would guess he'll be able to read t
It is what it is. Not an excellent work of fiction, a great character study, or a challenging read. It is a simply written, early interest chapter book meant to engage new readers and give them a beginning taste of adventure in reading. With only 10 chapters, I read this entire book to an eager group of Kindergarten and 1st graders in two sittings. They absolutely loved it and that's all that matters.
Miltona 3rd
The Magic Tree House Afternoon in the Amazon is very exciting. They have to go to the Amazon
to get something for Morgan the M person. The amazon is A dangerous place to be. Jack and Anne are the main characters in the book. Jack and Anne have to go to the Amazon to get something for Morgan to free her from a spell. I think every one above second grade should read this book.
The Amazon River runs for 4,000 miles from the mountains of Peru through Brazil to the Atlantic Ocean. The Amazon river basin contains more that half the world's rainforests.

Just a couple of the facts to be learned from Jack and Annie's adventure in Afternoon on the Amazon.

The children are continuing their quest to find 4 special objects to help free Morgan from the evil spell that has her trapped. They have a moonstone from their Ninja adventure.

In this book, they find a book open in the tree h
Norma Torres
I gave it 4 stars because Annie and Jack went to the Amazon and saw different animals .This book is about Amazon. Annie and Jack went to the Amazon. They met the army ants, piranhas, crocodile, snack, jaguar, vampire bats and the monkey. My favorite part of the book was the monkey throwing mangoes at Annie and Jack . One day, I'll going to the Amazon.
This was an interesting book that incorporated some facts about the Amazon. It also is a great transitional book for early readers. It is a good chapter book that incorporates some pictures to bring the readers imagination to life. The series seems to follow one another and would be good for students to read the series.
Sean's favorite part of this book was the monkey throwing mangoes. When I reminded him that we'd read about vampire bats, snakes and a mother jaguar protecting her baby, he wasn't interested. The crocodile on the cover was cool for him, too. These books aren't great, but they keep Sean interested in reading every night!
An adventure for young readers that comes with an introduction to a pretty amazing amazing place.

(view spoiler)
An enjoyable well-paced Tree House tale with a good mix of the Amazon’s biology and its many hazards (all of which Jack and Annie survive, of course). The book has a nice change since Jack is actually enthused for once, while Annie is not. And they were more reliant on their own wits for once.
Dakotah Sporing
This would be a good book to use in either a history lesson or geography lesson and the book is an interesting read as well. this story tells the story of two children who get in a magic treehouse and are moved to the amazon. I chose this book for the multiple uses and the fun story it tells.
Some of the kids in my 5th grade class still enjoy this series, especially my struggling readers. This book is fun - Jack & Annie travel to the Amazon to find a clue that will help them rescue Morgan le Fay. They get lost and have encounters with all sorts of scary rainforest creatures.
Moeko Matsuo
-Random House, level 2
-Time: September 21
-7-word summary: tree-go-Amazon-animals-amazing-leave alone
-Discussion question:
1. Do you want to go to Amazon?
Yes, I do. I want to see many animals that I haven't seen.
2. The main characters were attacked by a jaguar. If you have a same situation, what are you going to do?
Probably, I will run away because I don't think I can beat jaguars.

I liked to read this book because I like the message of this story.
I thought the key phrase was "Just leave them alone
it was amazing and i think that mary pope obsorne is the best writer in all history! i only need to read 6 more books before i finish the whole series!!!!!! i need to read mummies in the morning,pirates past noon, good morning gorillas, and dinosaurs at dark.
Randy Tramp
I enjoy any of the magic Tree House books by Mary Pope Osborne. This one was no exception. I felt as though I was in the middle of the amazon with all it's animals. Monkees swinging from tree to tree and alligators ready to bite. It was a great read.
MCC Children's Li...: The Magic Treehouse Series 1 2 Feb 25, 2012 08:28PM
  • Knights and Castles (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #2)
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)
  • White House White-out (A to Z Mysteries: Super Edition, #3)
  • Invisible Stanley (Flat Stanley, #4)
  • Space Explorers (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #4)
  • Attack Of The Tyrannosaurus (Dinosaur Cove, #1)
More about Mary Pope Osborne...

Magic Tree House (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1)
  • The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2)
  • Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3)
  • Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4)
  • Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)
  • Sunset of the Sabertooth (Magic Tree House, #7)
  • Midnight On The Moon (Magic Tree House, #8)
  • Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House, #9)
  • Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House, #10)
  • Lions at Lunchtime (Magic Tree House, #11)
Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1) The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2) Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3) Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4) Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)