Start by marking “Afternoon On The Amazon (Magic Tree House #6)” as Want to Read:
Afternoon On The Amazon (Magic Tree House #6)

Afternoon On The Amazon (Magic Tree House #6)

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  10,590 Ratings  ·  309 Reviews

Vampire bats and killer ants?

Published June 9th 2010 by Random House Books for Young (first published August 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Afternoon On The Amazon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Afternoon On The Amazon

Logan
May 20, 2010 Logan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
I said in my review of "Sunset of the Sabertooth" that I loathe these books, so I'm not going to say it again here. Logan actually didn't like this one so much as it fed his already growing fear of dangerous wildlife. And I find that a lackluster story interspersed with a wooden main character reading aloud from a reference book isn't really the way I want Logan to get his facts. In a 67-page story, here is what we got:
--The Amazon rainforest is hot & steamy, has a lot of plants, and is made
Emerald
May 24, 2017 Emerald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-children
“It spun faster and faster then everything was still. Absolutely still.”
Samantha
Feb 22, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria
Jack & Annie are still on their quest to find 4 things in order to break the spell that the enchantress Morgan le Fey is under. This time, the object needs to be found in the depths of the Amazon Jungle. Danger lurks around every corner! Jack & Annie encounter Snakes, Marching Army Ants, Jaguars and many other creatures along the way. Will they find the second object? Will anyone help them this time? This book is full of adventure and danger. A msut read for all Magic Tree House readers. ...more
Harley
My six year old daughter loves this series and is reading it aloud to me.
Cesar
Oct 22, 2013 Cesar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book, “Afternoon in the Amazon” is about a girl and a boy named Annie and Jack. They found a magic house to any where and they decide to go to the Amazon. They travel to the Amazon because they like the animals. When they get there they find a library with a woman inside. Her name is Morgan LaFay. She sends them on a journey to find four items. Throughout their journey they find some of the items. They find a boat and Annie sees a monkey. The monkey throws mangoes at them and follows them. T ...more
Amanda Carpenter
As I always say, my 8 year old niece brought me the first 2 of these books to read. She loves them and she wanted me to read them too so we can talk about them. I find them fun and informative for kids about different time periods and different things around the world.

With book 5, I started reading them out loud to my dogs. (I know, you may think I am crazy - but they like them. Well one gets rather scared sometimes, but the other loves to listen). This one was way too scary for the one dog I h
Heather
I think this book lends itself well to a unit study of the Amazon. You can use this as a jumping off point to study animals, geography, weather, etc.

My generic review for the Magic Tree House books -

We've loved them all so far. They are fun, easy to read and contain quite a bit of historical information. We use them as read-alouds, but most elementary/middle school kids could read them on their own.

It does have a touch of 'girl power' at the expense of making the brother seem a little dumb. Th
Scott Middleton
Mar 07, 2016 Scott Middleton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2nd-grade-2016
Do you like interesting books? If you do, you should read the series of the Magic Tree House because there are a lot of books in this series.

The main characters are Jack and Annie, but sometimes Peanut is also a main character. In one book, Jack, Annie, and Peanut went to the Amazon rainforest in a boat. A monkey was throwing some things and they thought it was attacking them, but the monkey was just trying to help.

If I was the judge, I would give the series 5 stars because all the interesting
Diane
May 12, 2015 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-ya
My son is on a re-reading spree. He could read them himself, but he still likes them for bedtime stories. This one is quite harrowing, given that the Amazon rainforest is filled with dangerous animals at every turn. But the kids prevail and find what their looking for, but not without the help of a "native". My son theorizes that the helpers in this mini-series of 4 could be Morgan herself. But I countered with logic (and it actually was acceptable to my son!): if she needed help because she was ...more
Patty
Kiefer Hwasta
Nov 01, 2016 Kiefer Hwasta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack and Annie go back to their mission of saving Morgan le Fay. They travel to the Amazon rainforest to acquire the second object to save Morgan. Jack and Annie faced many threats from carnivorous animals. A monkey gave them the second object and they made it home safely.
I liked it. It teaches about Amazon wildlife, the three layers of the rain forest and about the amazon river. I like how they are in the rain forest, which is very interesting to me.
Aug 22, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any book that gets my third grader's nose glued inside deserves a 5 star review--my daughter LOVES these books! Honestly can't put them down. She and I especially enjoyed this one set in the Amazon jungle.
Courtney Hendrix
This Magic Tree House book is a short one where Jack and Annie end up in a rain forest looking for a special object. They are faced with multiple scary occurrences such as army ants, a monkey throwing fruit at them, piranhas in the water, a large snake, a baby jaguar and her mom, etc. What they don't notice at first is that the monkey is actually their friend and what he's throwing at them is the "special object" they are needing which is the fruit. Once they realize that the fruit is what they ...more
Maria
May 11, 2017 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, advanture
Jack and Annie looked up the Magic tree house was shining in the afternoon sunlight beside a tall oak tree. The magic tree house take them to the Rain Forest. But It's not long before the got lost in rain forest....
Great adventure of Magic Tree House!!!
Emma
Jan 31, 2017 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When animals hear a crackling sound, they flee in panic. The sound means that 30 million flesh-eating army ants are marching through the dead leaves.
Keshia
May 15, 2017 Keshia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love anything about rainforests. They are just so neat!
At last i feel loved
I liked it because they went to the amazon and saw diffrent animals

Juliette
Sep 13, 2016 Juliette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is part of a series, that tells the tales of two children and their magical treehouse. One day they discovered a treehouse in their backyard, filled with books. Every time they open a book they end up in the pictures of where the books take place. These books are very educational, as the author always places them in a different country/environment, or gives them a history lesson through the adventures. This series teaches its readers about bravery and empathy while taking them through ...more
Alyssa Ruehl
Apr 13, 2015 Alyssa Ruehl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
personal reaction
This book and series has been one of my all time favorites. The adventures Jack and Annie go on are incredible, and it is very educational too. I remember learning about space from these books, and I still keep this thought with me today. I chose this particular novel because I didn't remember it as well as the other ones I had so I gave it a reread and enjoyed it. The relationship between Jack and Annie is great to acknowledge as well, because I can relate since I have two sib
Rosa Cline
Apr 17, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
This is sixth in the series of books the Magic Tree House. Although it is a chapter book my son and I sat and read it for about 30 minutes or so. Very interesting, keeping our attention. Just enough 'Science' to keep it educational but yet enough imagination in it to keep it fun too. Looking forward to reading some more.

This was wasn't disappointing after enjoying the first one as much as we did. Each book apparently will have a 'guide' to the two children in the book but to the reader-listener
Stefano
Mar 11, 2016 Stefano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book opens up with Jack and Annie searching the Tree House for Peanut, a mouse that lives there. They found him running around in a sock that Annie left as a bed for her. The two then saw that in the corner of the tree house there was yet another book left open. The book was about rainforest which frightened Annie as shockingly she has not been scared of anything up until now but the thought of bugs does. Jack reminds her that they need to help Morgan and so they both agree to go there. The ...more
Lisa Leland
Dec 11, 2016 Lisa Leland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading level: 3.1

Summary: Eight-year-old Jack, his seven-year-old sister, Annie, and Peanut the mouse ride in a tree house to the Amazon rain forests, where they encounter giant ants, flesh-eating piranhas, hungry crocodiles, and wild jaguars. Young readers enjoy an adventurous story about the South American jungle told through the eyes of children with detailed illustrations which capture each chapter.

Characteristics that support the genre: Fantasy, Forests and Rainforests, Cooperation and Tea
Lanie
Jul 28, 2016 Lanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents of small kids
Shelves: kids, time-travel
"The Amazon rainforest is amazing" jack writes in his note.

Ok. Yes. Yes it is.

It's also freaking terrifying, with its million and one things that can kill you. :( including, falling out of 150 foot trees, getting eaten by army ants, bit by a giant snake, mobbed by piranhas, eaten by a crocodile, and mauled by a jaguar.

Plus all the bugs! Ugh. Poor Annie. I'm with you sister. Bugs are ew.

:) this was a very exciting installment of "magic treehouse" taking our young time traveling heroes to the
Chris
Jul 05, 2016 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So very earnest. So very full of simple stereotypes. So very well plotted and characterized that I can see why this has remained the most popular beginning chapter book series since I started in the business almost fifteen years ago.

Young siblings Jack and Annie find a mysterious box that they use to travel through time and space, often aided by they box's powerful, magical owner. That's right, in its most basic form the series is Doctor Who for 6-8 year old readers (which has been popular enoug
Conan Tigard
Nov 16, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this sixth installment of the Magic Tree House, I quite enjoyed the rain forest story. This is the first time a story hasn't had other humans in it, which the kids are generally scared of. The only trouble they find in this story are the wild animals. I was wondering how they were going to find their next item in something as large as the Amazon Rain Forest. And how are they going to know if it is the item when they see it?

Once again, Jack and Annie find themselves on a new adventure that I
Wendy
Aug 31, 2009 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A friend got us into these books about 4 months ago and we've probably read 15-20 or so in the series since then. I just chose this one to review because it was one of Eric's favorites.

Eric is 4 1/2 and it feels like we have read every picture book under the sun to him. He likes these because they have some pictures, follow a similiar pattern for each book, are exciting but not too scary, and he learns about new places. We do them as a read-aloud before bed. I would guess he'll be able to read t
Ethan
Oct 05, 2010 Ethan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Angie
Feb 23, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis: "Jack and Annie are ready for their next fantasy adventure in the bestselling middle-grade series—the Magic Tree House!

Vampire bats and killer ants?

That's what Jack and Annie are about to run into when the Magic Tree House whisks them away to the Amazon River. It's not long before they get hopelessly lost. Will they be able to find their way back to the tree house? Or are Jack and Annie stuck forever in the rain forest?"

My Review: Another fun adventure for Jack and Annie. This one mig
Anna
Sep 27, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
The Amazon River runs for 4,000 miles from the mountains of Peru through Brazil to the Atlantic Ocean. The Amazon river basin contains more that half the world's rainforests.

Just a couple of the facts to be learned from Jack and Annie's adventure in Afternoon on the Amazon.

The children are continuing their quest to find 4 special objects to help free Morgan from the evil spell that has her trapped. They have a moonstone from their Ninja adventure.

In this book, they find a book open in the tree h
MCC Children's Li...: The Magic Treehouse Series 1 2 Feb 25, 2012 08:28PM
  • Mummies and Pyramids (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #3)
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)
  • The Invisible Island (A to Z Mysteries, #9)
  • Wild Whale Watch (The Magic School Chapter Book, #3)
  • Stanley and the Magic Lamp (Flat Stanley, #2)
  • Junie B., First Grader (at Last!) (Junie B. Jones, #18)
  • Stink: Solar System Superhero (Stink, #5)
  • Journey to the Volcano Palace (The Secrets of Droon, #2)
More about Mary Pope Osborne...

Magic Tree House (1 - 10 of 55 books)
  • Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1)
  • The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2)
  • Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3)
  • Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4)
  • Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)
  • Sunset of the Sabertooth (Magic Tree House, #7)
  • Midnight On The Moon (Magic Tree House, #8)
  • Dolphins at Daybreak (Magic Tree House, #9)
  • Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House, #10)
  • Lions at Lunchtime (Magic Tree House, #11)