Start by marking “The Curse of Snake Island (Pirate School, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Curse of Snake Island (Pirate School, #1)

The Curse of Snake Island (Pirate School #1)

The pirate ship’s first mate, Rotten Tooth, sees Pete and his friends more as an annoyance than pirates in training. As the ship heads toward Snake Island, Pete has an idea to earn some respect—if the kids can find the hidden treasure before the grown-ups, then they’ll have to be taken seriously! Only one problem: The treasure is guarded by a giant snake that curses anyone ...more
Published April 19th 2007 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about The Curse of Snake Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Curse of Snake Island

This was a good book to start off chapter books with my 6-year old. The chapters are short (about 3 pages, with an illustration in each chapter) and he could read the first paragraph or two and then I could continue. It had a simple plot, and I'm always looking for chapter books for him that have good "boy-appeal." (He enjoyed this much more than the Ramona book we read.) There are more books in the series and he has requested that we continue, and that's evidence to me that this one was worthwh ...more
Amy Brown
Kids attending pirate school want to learn more than how to clean up the ship so they develop a plan to find treasure and prove that they are pirate-worthy. Beginning chapter book series. Adventurous and funny.
Jaemi
When I first heard of this series, I was sure it would be a hit, because who doesn't like pirates?

Recently, I was lucky enough to meet and spend the day with Brian James, who was doing a couple of programs for my Library, so I got to hear the inside scoop on all the books, which makes reading them even more fun.

As the series starts off, pirate-hopefuls Pete, Inna, Vicky, Aaron and Gary all left their respective ships behind to come crew the Sea Rat, whose Captain---Stinky Beard---wanted to start
Julie
Dec 31, 2010 Julie rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens, school, pirates
This was an ebook title that intrigued me on the library site, and wasn't checked out like all the other ones were!

Unfortunately, it's only mediocre. Not a book anyone older than a kid would get much enjoyment out of.

Pete is the narrator and the leader of a group of five kids. One guess what the gender makeup of that group is. Who have somehow ended up on a ship designated as a 'pirate school'. The exact background and concept is never sufficiently explained to me.

They're not actually taught any
Andria
Dec 15, 2013 Andria rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, kids, adventure
I chose this as one of my books to read for a teachers as readers book group. The group is reading books that are similar to other books so we can suggest new titles to our student readers who love magic tree house etc. Tis book is a step up in reading level from mth. It has nine chapters, about eight pages per chapter and frequent pictures. He story line was pretty cheesy and did not have factual info to learn. However, those students who like predictable story lines with known characters will ...more
Caroline
Dec 22, 2010 Caroline rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children who like pirates and adventure.
Kids ages 6-8 years. 64 pages, large text, B&W pictures every few pages.

I read this book to get a better idea of what is in my library's collection, so I can recommend some titles to patrons. I've rated it as I would have as a child. This one is very easy to get through (it took me 30 min to read) and would be very easy for a child to enjoy. There is an entertaining cast of characters that all have their own style and would be easy for any child to pick one to be their favourite. There is a
Books Kids Like
Oct 06, 2013 Books Kids Like rated it really liked it
Pete, Inna, Gary, and Vicky and Aaron (the twins) are training to be pirates abroad the ship Sea Rat. Captain Stinky Beard puts first mate, Rotten Tooth, in charge of the pirates-in-training. So far, all Rotten Tooth has taught them is to swab deck. Pete convinces the group that they need to prove that they're brave enough to be pirates. Pete decides that they will find the treasure on Snake Island before the rest do. As the Sea Rat sails for the island, the pirates-in-training sneak into the ca ...more
Andrea
Feb 20, 2010 Andrea rated it really liked it
My 4-year-old loves these books--can't get enough of them. My husband and I get to read them over and over. I'm getting somewhat tired of pirates, but at least I don't find the writing annoying.

I think that what she really likes about them is the idea of kids being independent (except for the cranky pirate Rotten Tooth that teaches them) and the many opportunities to see kids save the day. They usually get lots of laughs, as well.

The pirates in these books are sanitized. They don't go around ki
Alexandra
These pirates are completely scrubbed clean of all the bad reality of pirates. In this book the worst we see is one pirate that is grumpy, gives the kids chores instead of teaching them to be pirates - as he is supposed to, doesn't have good grammer and needs a bath. They are searching for buried treasure, no stealing or murderous intentions. I find the artwork in this book charming.

I think only parents who don't want their children exposed to the issue of pirates at all - even with all the nast
Dec 21, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
The boys LOVE pirates and Kile had a pirate birthday party earlier this year. Aunt Jenn gave him this book and both boys enjoyed it. It was a quick read with plenty of pictures. Pete and his friends live aboard the ship called the Sea Rat. They are learning to be pirates, but first mate Rotten Tooth is always trying to foil their plans. They decide to prove their worth as pirates by discovering treasure on Snake Island. Will they be able to get past the scary snake guarding the treasure?
Angie
Jan 28, 2011 Angie rated it liked it
My son who is nine and my daughter who is 6 love these books. We read them as a family and can't stop laughing. They are funny, full of adventure and have great characters. We own all 8 books and can't wait until more come out.
Laurie
Apr 06, 2012 Laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, childrens, 2012
This is a 64 page chapter book for beginner readers and my 1st grader's first chapter book. It's a fun story without a lot of background info about kids on a pirate ship at "pirate school." It's great for it's target audience.
Kathy
Mar 03, 2010 Kathy rated it really liked it
Aargh! Aimed at those just graduating from easy reader chapter books (grades 2-3), this has stinky pirates, gross fish guts, a group of spunky kid pirates, and scary snakes. No historical accuracy needed or provided.
carrietracy
Aug 20, 2011 carrietracy rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
This is a beginning chapter book with a lackluster plot that has limited appeal outside of it's target audience. That said, it's sure to be a hit with beginning readers who are interested in pirates.
Joenna
Feb 12, 2011 Joenna rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2nd-3rd
Hoping to be taken seriously by Rotten Tooth, who is supposed to be training them to be pirates, nine-year-old Pete leads his friends in an attempt to beat the grown-ups in finding the treasure buried on Snake Island and stealing it from the giant snake that guards it.

MTH read-a-like
Ratforcekids
Sep 29, 2012 Ratforcekids rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure, fiction, humor
This is the first book in the Pirate School series. Can the pirate kids find the treasure? Join them on their adventurous search.
John
Aug 01, 2016 John rated it it was amazing
I love Pirate School Books this is cool
Kathy
Jan 22, 2016 Kathy rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book - fun characters & fun pirate talk. Fun adventure - perfect for 2-ish grade kids - girls or boys.
Katie
Nov 20, 2013 Katie rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-for-kids
Definitely a book for a niche group. A beginning reader (boy or girl) who loves to say "avast" and "shiver me timbers" may get interested in this simple pirate adventure.

Recommended for grades 1-2
LeeAnn G
Feb 05, 2011 LeeAnn G rated it really liked it
Great book for children with swashbuckling tales that will tickle your funny bone.
Sandybear76
pirates are cool with kids now so they'll enjoy this tale of learning to be a pirate.
Heidi
Apr 11, 2014 Heidi rated it really liked it
My 8 year old daughter devoured all 8 of the books in this series in a few days and loved them. I would guess most 6-9 year olds would enjoy these books - perhaps boys even more so?!?
Lillie
Lillie rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2010
Kate Hastings
Dec 12, 2010 Kate Hastings marked it as to-read
RL 500
Jenni
My 3 and 5 year olds really enjoy this series!
JordanRiley14
JordanRiley14 rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Crystal Falconer
Crystal Falconer rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2013
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2008
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2012
Mr. Michael
Mr. Michael rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I've written numerous children's books, including the Pirate School series and the Catkid series. I'm also the author of several novels: Pure Sunshine; Tomorrow, Maybe; Perfect World; Dirty Liar; Thief; Zombie Blondes; The Heights.

More about Brian James...

Pirate School (8 books)
  • Ahoy, Ghost Ship Ahead! #2
  • Attack on the High Seas! #3
  • Port of Spies #4
  • Treasure Trouble #5
  • Camp Buccaneer #6
  • Yo-Ho-Ho! (Pirate School, Book 7)
  • Shiver Me, Shipwreck! (Pirate School, Book 8)