Start by marking “Confessions Of A Teenage Baboon” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Confessions Of A Teena...

Paul Zindel

Confessions Of A Teenage Baboon

Sixteen-year-old misfit Chris Boyd moves with his mother, a practical nurse, from one live-in job to another. Lloyd Dipardi, himself a misfit, points the way to manhood for Chris by teaching him to take responsibility for his own life. "Zindel has a caustic comic touch...and a talent for spotlighting bizarre and dramatic scenes."-- "Kirkus Reviews."

An ALA Best Book for You
Published (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions Of A Teenage Baboon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions Of A Teenage Baboon

Spider the Doof Warrior
I don't even know what went on in this book. What Lloyd a molester of teenagers? Did this kid's mother kill her patient? WTF went on?! I just don't even know! It seems like more disturbing things happened than I thought or maybe my imagination is over active.
J.P.
Jan 29, 2015 J.P. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this one up at a paperback exchange in a public library. I hadn't thought of Paul Zindel in years; he was a big deal among kids when I was in junior high/high school. I'd loved "The Pigman" and always meant to read this one. Well, 30 years after the fact, I finally got the chance.

"Teenage Baboon" is a half-baked souffle. It ain't bad, but it's clearly missing something. The narrator is cut from the Holden Caulfield mold--- he's a streetwise, smartassed kid telling his story directly to
Melissa
I'm re-reading all my tattered Paul Zindel YA paperbacks, starting with this one. Man, they are dark. Paul Zindel was my favorite writer as a young tween. He wrote about weird, ugly, awkward, fucked-up, lonely working class kids in bad situations, with lots of gritty detail. This is the saddest of them all: a misfit teenage boy and his widowed live-in nurse mom move in with her patient, a dying old lady with dementia and a lewd streak and her adult son prone to sadistic mind games, violent alcoh ...more
Lynai
Sep 28, 2011 Lynai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-a-copy
I first encountered Paul Zindel in his famous novelette,The Pigman, and though I have a faint recollection about the story, I strongly remember how I liked it then. So, seeing a copy of this book at Booksale, I cannot pass up the opportunity to read another one of his novels.

Confessions of a Teenage Baboon is a coming-of-age story of sixteen year-old Christopher Boyd who has to live with his nurse/caregiver mother caring for a demented old lady named Carmelita Dipardi. Carmelita has a 30-year ol
Barbara
Aug 27, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paul Zindel's books have received widespread acclaim, and for good reason: he's an excellent writer. He's an adult who writes for adolescents and understands their motivations, hopes, fears, and dreams. I was first introduced to his work when I was assigned to read "The Pigman" in my ninth grade English class. I've read (and re-read) most of his work since then. This book deals with 13 year old Chris Boyd, whose mother, Helen, is a live-in nurse/caretaker. When she receives an assignment, she an ...more
Ryan Pirro
great book really made me feel like a was part of the book i would recommend this book to anyone who like a lesson learned kind of book.
elscorcho
Mar 01, 2009 elscorcho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 1993
I don't know what it was about this book, but I think this had to be my fav book of my teen years. I found this book when i was going through a box of my old stuff still at my mom's house, and it took everything I had not to sit on the floor of my old closet and read this book for old times sake, though i do plan to read it again soon... just to see if it is the same as i remember. 15 years later or more
Danielle
Oh, this is one of Zindel's darkest stories. I can't say that I enjoyed it. A 16-year-old boy, Chris, and his mother, a nurse, move into 30-year-old Lloyd's house to care for his ailing mother. Lloyd is a complex and disturbing character, and I while I support the writing of complex characters in general, I kind of wish I hadn't read it.
51/60 tbr box.
Esther
This book was the first time I exposed my Zindel habit to the world with a book report: My English teacher approved, my mother did not.
Probably one of Zindel's hardest books: I finished it feeling confused and let down by everyone with the impression that most adults make crappy role models.
Despite such a gloomy outlook it is a well written and worth reading.
Joyzi
Jun 26, 2009 Joyzi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Weirdos who love to read classics
Recommended to Joyzi by: Just pick it up
So I just pick this book up in the library and I remember really liking the first chapters but when it get in the middle, the book got draggy and then I'm not been able to finish it because I simply lost interest.
Pamela Mikita
The book reminded me of Michael Jackson. Anybody?
Stace Leza
Jun 17, 2011 Stace Leza marked it as the-best-children-literature  ·  review of another edition
great story about the imperfect world of teenagers struggling between childhood and adulthood
Lobstergirl
I always loathed the titles of Zindel's books but for some reason I read them anyway.
Lise
Feb 03, 2016 Lise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, humour
Funny coming of age story
elissa
Sep 21, 2007 elissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't remember a thing about this, except that I loved reading it. I can also remember the summer that I read it.
Ben
Nov 11, 2007 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really kind of brutal and totally my kind of young adult novel.
Ian
Oct 26, 2012 Ian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very humurous and funny. Great book recomend it to young adults.
Marsinay
Marsinay rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2011
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2012
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2013
Barbara Dilger
Barbara Dilger rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2015
Josiane
Josiane rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2008
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2013
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Mar 23, 2009
Steph
Steph rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2014
David
David rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2009
Kjiang
Kjiang rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2010
Laura rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2010
Astrid Yrigollen
Astrid Yrigollen rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2012
Pamela
Pamela rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2017
  • Night Kites
  • To Take A Dare
  • The Testament
  • Up in Seth's Room
  • Mirror of Danger (Come Back, Lucy)
  • Dear Lovey Hart, I Am Desperate
  • The Other Way Round (Out of the Hitler Time, #2)
  • The Missing Persons League
  • The Pentagon Spy (Hardy Boys, #61)
  • New Shoes (Shoes, #10)
  • The House In Norham Gardens
  • Waiting Games
Paul Zindel was an American author, playwright and educator.

In 1964, he wrote The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds, his first and most successful play. The play ran off-Broadway in 1970, and on Broadway in 1971. It won the 1971 Pulitzer Prize for Drama. It was also made into a 1972 movie by 20th Century Fox. Charlotte Zolotow, then a vice-president at Harper & Row (now Harper-
More about Paul Zindel...