Start by marking “Confessions Of A Teenage Baboon (Lions S)” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Confessions Of A Teena...

Paul Zindel

Confessions Of A Teenage Baboon (Lions S)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  388 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Sixteen-year-old misfit Chris Boyd moves with his mother, a practical nurse, from one live-in job to another. Lloyd Dipardi, himself a misfit, points the way to manhood for Chris by teaching him to take responsibility for his own life. "Zindel has a caustic comic touch...and a talent for spotlighting bizarre and dramatic scenes."-- "Kirkus Reviews."

An ALA Best Book for You
Published (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions Of A Teenage Baboon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions Of A Teenage Baboon

Lynai
I first encountered Paul Zindel in his famous novelette,The Pigman, and though I have a faint recollection about the story, I strongly remember how I liked it then. So, seeing a copy of this book at Booksale, I cannot pass up the opportunity to read another one of his novels.

Confessions of a Teenage Baboon is a coming-of-age story of sixteen year-old Christopher Boyd who has to live with his nurse/caregiver mother caring for a demented old lady named Carmelita Dipardi. Carmelita has a 30-year ol
Barbara
Paul Zindel's books have received widespread acclaim, and for good reason: he's an excellent writer. He's an adult who writes for adolescents and understands their motivations, hopes, fears, and dreams. I was first introduced to his work when I was assigned to read "The Pigman" in my ninth grade English class. I've read (and re-read) most of his work since then. This book deals with 13 year old Chris Boyd, whose mother, Helen, is a live-in nurse/caretaker. When she receives an assignment, she an ...more
Melissa
I'm re-reading all my tattered Paul Zindel YA paperbacks, starting with this one. Man, they are dark. Paul Zindel was my favorite writer as a young tween. He wrote about weird, ugly, awkward, fucked-up, lonely working class kids in bad situations, with lots of gritty detail. This is the saddest of them all: a misfit teenage boy and his widowed live-in nurse mom move in with her patient, a dying old lady with dementia and a lewd streak and her adult son prone to sadistic mind games, violent alcoh ...more
Lucy
I did not particularly enjoy this book. =/
elscorcho
I don't know what it was about this book, but I think this had to be my fav book of my teen years. I found this book when i was going through a box of my old stuff still at my mom's house, and it took everything I had not to sit on the floor of my old closet and read this book for old times sake, though i do plan to read it again soon... just to see if it is the same as i remember. 15 years later or more
Jennifer March
I am a huge fan of Paul Zindel. I absolutely loved him when I was a teen, and I loved rereading the Pigman a few years ago. I can't remember if I read Confessions when I was younger. I must admit this wasn't my favorite book. I liked the voice (he always nails the young male voice) and the premise, but the middle dragged for me and I found the end disappointing.
Esther
This book was the first time I exposed my Zindel habit to the world with a book report: My English teacher approved, my mother did not.
Probably one of Zindel's hardest books: I finished it feeling confused and let down by everyone with the impression that most adults make crappy role models.
Despite such a gloomy outlook it is a well written and worth reading.
Joyzi
Feb 06, 2011 Joyzi rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Weirdos who love to read classics
Recommended to Joyzi by: Just pick it up
So I just pick this book up in the library and I remember really liking the first chapters but when it get in the middle, the book got draggy and then I'm not been able to finish it because I simply lost interest.
elissa
Don't remember a thing about this, except that I loved reading it. I can also remember the summer that I read it.
Stace Leza
Jun 17, 2011 Stace Leza marked it as the-best-children-literature  ·  review of another edition
great story about the imperfect world of teenagers struggling between childhood and adulthood
Lobstergirl
I always loathed the titles of Zindel's books but for some reason I read them anyway.
Ian
Very humurous and funny. Great book recomend it to young adults.
Ben
Really kind of brutal and totally my kind of young adult novel.
Rachel
very weird. but funny and sad.
Gabriela
Gabriela marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
city-of-alice-books
city-of-alice-books marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Lauran
Lauran added it
Nov 25, 2014
Louise
Louise added it
Nov 23, 2014
Jessiewright
Jessiewright marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Joe_mamma
Joe_mamma marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
  • Night Kites
  • Grinny
  • The Testament: A novel
  • Full of Secrets: Critical Approaches to Twin Peaks
  • The Modern Antiquarian: A Pre-millennial Odyssey Through Megalithic Britain : Including a Gazetteer to Over 300 Prehistoric Sites
  • Coincidence
  • Escape Velocity: Cyberculture at the End of the Century
  • Hangin' Out with Cici
  • The Pentagon Spy (Hardy Boys, #61)
  • Georgie (Georgie The Ghost, #1)
  • Then Again, Maybe I Won't
  • Daughters of Eve
Paul Zindel was an American author, playwright and educator.

In 1964, he wrote The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds, his first and most successful play. The play ran off-Broadway in 1970, and on Broadway in 1971. It won the 1971 Pulitzer Prize for Drama. It was also made into a 1972 movie by 20th Century Fox. Charlotte Zolotow, then a vice-president at Harper & Row (now Harper-
More about Paul Zindel...
The Pigman The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds My Darling, My Hamburger The Pigman's Legacy Pardon Me, You're Stepping on My Eyeball