Start by marking “The Log of a Cowboy: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days” as Want to Read:
The Log of a Cowboy: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days
Open Preview read book

The Log of a Cowboy: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  35 reviews
A classic fictional chronicle of life on the open trail, THE LOG OF A COWBOY has long been considered the best and most reliable account of real cowboy life ever written.
In the years following the Civil War, sixteen-year-old Andy Adams left his home in the San Antonio Valley and took to the range. Here he charts his first journey as a bona fide cowboy, from south Texas to
Published November 20th 2000 by Mariner Books (first published 1903)

To ask other readers questions about The Log of a Cowboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Log of a Cowboy

Ted
3 ½ stars. This book was published in 1903. The author, Andy Adams, was born in 1859 in Indiana, grew up on a livestock farm there, and eventually became a cowboy in Texas in the last two decades of the nineteenth century. He knew cattle drives from personal experience, and after leaving the horseback life, moved to Colorado and began writing fiction about what he knew best: cowboys and cattle.

I’ve seen it claimed in reviews here on Goodreads that Larry McMurtry used this book as a source for hi
Ron
Andy Adams was a prolific writer, and thanks to the University of Nebraska Press, some of this former cowboy's output is still in print. This true-to-life story of an 1882 cattle drive is his best known, and its retelling 100 years later in Larry McMurtry's "Lonesome Dove" is evidence of its importance among early works of Western fiction.

Here the protagonist is a young cowboy much like the author, who trailed beef from Texas to Montana at a time just after the buffalo herds were being extinguis
Chris Sherman
This book was great. Its less about being a cowboy specifically than it is about a broader unique way of life--leaving home far behind you and striking out on a journey with a group of people. Loggers, whalers, Navy sailors, oil derrick operators. There are few occupations that isolate you to face adversity with a group of relative strangers bound only by a common skill and a will to get paid. I've experienced it and this combined with appealing characters, an ever present sense of adventure, an ...more
Cindy Winder delong
I enjoyed this book. I found it fascinating and interesting. I loved learning how different things were without our modern technology. I was sad when the book ended, I wanted it to continue so that I could learn what a train ride was like and how the reunion with their families went. The version I read was free for my Nook. The formatting and copying were poor quality but I was still able to understand most of it. I would have enjoyed it more if I had read a copy with better formatting and editi ...more
Spbayer
Andy Adams was a cowboy for 12 years. In 1903, flat broke and annoyed by the plethora of ridiculous books that purported to depict the true-life adventures of cowboys, he decided to try his own hand at writing a novel. The result is a beautifully written book, filled with fascinating detail of everyday life on the trail in 1882, as a team of 12 cowhands, 1 cook, 1 horse wrangler and a foreman drive 3100 cattle from Brownsville, Texas to the Blackfoot Indian Reservation in Montana.
Annette
Andy Adams (1903, 1981). The Log of a Cowboy: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days. Time-Life Books Inc.[return]Set in the late 1800s, Adam's tale is often listed as the best account of cowboy life ever written. The author condensed a dozen year's work experience in the saddle into this book about a five-month cattle drive - - delivery of three thousand head from the mouth of the Rio Grande river (near Brownsville) in southwest Texas to government buyers at the Blackfoot Indian Agency in northwest ...more
K.
May 29, 2012 K. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Cowboy lovers, Western history lovers
Really probably at least 3 1/2 stars for being fascinating without being mind-blowing or life-changing ;)

This was a great read! I never would have thought! I mean, I like a good Western, but I don't think this really qualifies in the "Western" genre except that it concerns cows and cowboys and sometimes guns. Really its exactly what it says it is, a "Log"--a diary of sorts of one cowboy's trail drive from the Gulf of Mexico to Montana. Over 2400 miles, 3500 cows, took just over 5 months. It has
Yvonne Jocks
Log of a Cowboy is one of those books that people keep mistaking for non-fiction. It's not non-fiction; it's a novel. But the mistake is understandable. For one thing, it reads like a memoir. For another, the author did in fact go on several trail drives during the period he's discussing, and wow does he know his stuff about horses, cattle drives, and the the people who worked with both--this makes it one of the few novels that also works well for research.

After a brief biographical start about
Kyra Halland
I needed to do some basic research on what it was like to be on a cattle drive in the late 1800s, and this memoir-style novel, written by someone who actually was a working cowboy on cattle drives in the 1880s, was a painless way to learn what I needed. The way the drives worked, the different characters on the drive and along the way, and the account of daily life on the drive were all fascinating. Since it's not a novel with a structured conflict-climax-resolution plot but rather, as the title ...more
Jeff
"The Log of a Cowboy", Andy Adams. 1905. The American Western is a genre that has been played out, diluted and distorted by hundreds of inexpensive films and cheap dime novels. It is a unique experience to read a basically unmolested, authentic, first hand account of an American cowboy of the 1880's. Andy Adams's book is based on his experiences working cattle for two season from north of the Rio Grande up though eastern Montana. Adams affectionately names his black gelding "Nigger Boy". As anyo ...more
Jill Althage
I think that this is an excellent look into what it was like to be a cowboy in the 1800s in the west. You ride along with the cowboys as they head off stampedes, cattle rustlers, town brawls, and dangerous river crossings. You can visualize the sounds and smells as this cowboy tells of the adventure. It is written by a white man of the period and you'll see areas that will make you uncomfortable as when he names his black horse, treatment of an Indian woman, and his description of cornering and ...more
Joel
Oct 04, 2014 Joel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: secret wanna-be cowboys.
I read this back in the day, soon after my life on horseback ended and the pains of leaving that life were fresh in my mind. It was a fabulous book, especially if you want the romantic part of being amongst thousands of wild cattle on completely open range for weeks and months on end. This story, autobiography, outlines the lives cowboys, real cowboys, lived. If you really begin to actually dissect what the author is saying, the romanticism fades and a harsh reality of life in the Old West is di ...more
Barry
More 21/2 stars than 3 but still enjoyable. Not a western per see but a novelization of America history The story of a cattle drive.
David
This was written more than 100 years ago, and Larry McMurtry obviously used it as a model for Lonesome Dove. The cowboys take the same exact path from South Texas to Montana, and go through the same town. It's not on the level of a Lonesome Dove, mind you, but it is interesting reading for any fan of McMurtry's series..... I'd give it two stars for writing, but I ended up giving it four because I'm a fan of Gus and Call, and I enjoyed following the trail again.
Sue
Adams' wrote Log of a Cowboy in 1903 recounting his trail days in the 1880's driving a herd of cows from Mexico to the Blackfoot Agency in Northern Montana. Six months on the trail sleeping on the ground, long hours in the saddle covering 20 miles a day or less, living with the changing landscape and the vagaries of weather. Truly a wonderful account of a life that we can only try to understand through the author's words.
Kristin
I read this mainly for little bits of language I could steal for poetry--and it was full of gems!

Other than that, I don't really recommend the book, unless you're interested in the cowboy life; but it's fiction, and there are better nonfiction works in that regard. Bottom line: good, quick-reading story without much else going for it.
Jim Lander
An excellent book which I read from Project Guttenburg. I like this author's narrative style. It offers a more fully developed view of cowboy life than we get from the TV or moveis. Worth the time to read, particularly if you are a fan of the Old West. There were a few spelling typos from the process of putting the book into P.G..
Jim Corson
This book was published in 1902 and is a fictionalized history of a trail drive from Mexico to Montana. It is considered to be the best rendition of what a cattle drive was really like back in the late 1800's. Well worth the read if you are interested in cowboy history.
Kelly
The narration style reminded me of listening to my grandpa tell stories. It was very easy-going, even during the most exciting moments. A Western that feels no need to add romance or gun fights just to spice things up, but lets the action unfold realistically.
Jim
An interesting first hand account of a cattle drive from the southeastern most tip of Texas to the Yellowstone area of Montana. Well written. Somewhat sanitized, but includes vernacular of the day.
Nicholas
A valuable insight into the real life of a cowhand on a a long cattle drive. A few too many river crossing descriptions for my taste and a flat ending, but, on the whole, an interesting read.
Arithmomaniac
If you find normal Westerns too cliche, but want to know what it really was like, this is the book. I learned something on nearly every page, and it was an entertaining read.
Bill
I really liked the narrative style, and it held my interest and I learned a lot of things. Very good Western style book, and would recommend it to anyone.
Virginia
A terrific resource for anyone who wants to lean about (or write about) the Old West cattle drives. I found it invaluable while working on my upcoming book.
Brandon
Excellent and the most informative book on what an actual cattle drive would be like that I am aware of and have ever read. Enjoyed it thoroughly.
Fredrick Danysh
Andy Adams was a Texas cowboys during the late 1800s. He tells of life on cattle ranches and trail drives.
Mckinley
He wants to set the record straight of what it really was like to move a herd of cattle from Texas north.
John Price
Good account of a long cattle drive in the 1880s. I found this to be an enjoyable read.
JP Perryman
Interesting book on the history of the cattle drives of the early west.
G. Taylor
Perfect for what it is. A first-hand account of life on the cattle trail.
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Wildfire
  • Fencing the Sky: A Novel
  • Leaving Cheyenne
  • Flower Fables
  • Men to Match My Mountains: The Opening of the Far West 1840-1900
  • Eyes of Eagles (Eagles, #1)
Andy Adams (1859–1935) was born to pioneer parents in Indiana, worked in Texas for ten years driving cattle, and settled in Colorado Springs, where he began writing his "real" stories of cowboys in the West.

While still in his teens, Adams ran away from home. He eventually made his way to Texas, where he found work as a cowboy. From 1882 to 1893, Adams witnessed firsthand the golden era of the Texa
More about Andy Adams...
Cattle Brands The Log of a Cowboy (Illustrated) A Texas Matchmaker Reed Anthony, Cowman The Outlet ..