Start by marking “Kitchen Chinese: A Novel About Food, Family, and Finding Yourself” as Want to Read:
Kitchen Chinese: A Novel About Food, Family, and Finding Yourself
read excerpt* *Different edition

Kitchen Chinese: A Novel About Food, Family, and Finding Yourself

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  1,056 ratings  ·  216 reviews
Isabelle Lee thinks she knows everything about Chinese cuisine. After all, during her Chinese-American childhood, she ate it every day. Isabelle may speak only "kitchen Chinese"—the familial chatter learned at her mother's knee—but she understands the language of food. Now, in the wake of a career-ending catastrophe, she's ready for a change—so she takes off for Beijing to ...more
Published February 9th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Kitchen Chinese, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kitchen Chinese

Allie
Last summer I had the wonderful chance to hear Deanna Fei read from her debut novel A Thread of Sky, about Chinese American women traveling to China.

This summer, I came across Ann Mah's Kitchen Chinese.

Something interesting: Both Fei and Mah published their respective novels in 2010 and wrote as they were living in Beijing. Yet Fei's is a contemporary fiction offering, while Mah's is straight-up chic lit. After several pages of cliches and cheesy writing that made it feel like CHEETAH GIRLS 2/E
eb
To call this a brazen imitation of Bridget Jones's Diary is to insult Helen Fielding's witty, observant romp.

I can't remember the last time I've read a novel so groaningly obvious. If I told you there were two love interests, one a self-absorbed pop star and the other a kind, shy, blue-eyed ambassador, what would you guess happens? You're right! Except there's less sex than you thought.

Each and every plot turn hinges on coincidence or misunderstanding. And some of them are just--okay, there's t
Renee
I really should have known better. I thought it would be a novel about food -- it's called Kitchen Chinese and was written by a food writer. But it's actually chick lit. Reading the back cover, I realize I should have seen the signs: "Isabelle Lee things she knows everything about Chinese cuisine. . . . Now, in the wake of a career-ending catastrophe, she's ready for a change -- so she takes off for Beijing to stay with her older sister, Claire. . . . . In the midst of her extreme culture shock, ...more
Juliet Doubledee
I found this book to be a light and fun read. The author (Ann Mah) takes the reader on a journey from the U.S. to China to witness the trials and tribulations of a young writer in her search to find her own voice in print.

The main character, Isabelle Lee, in the beginning of the book is a "fact finder" for a large New York fashion magazine; where she is responsible for confirming information submitted by well known freelancers. Unfulfilled both professionally and personally, Isabelle finds herse
Meg
Dec 04, 2013 Meg rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nostalgic Beijing ex-pats
This book was almost exactly what I wanted it to be, and I've been waiting to find it for quite a while.

Ever since I lived in Beijing, I've thought to myself that someone should write a piece of chick-lit set in the Beijing ex-pat scene. It's an exciting and unusual setting, filled with drama and spice - the perfect setting for a racy, quick-paced novel. Ann Mah has finally filled that niche.

Mah's story uses food as a common ground for making China relatable to a traditional Western audience and
Ann
Kitchen Chinese offers the reader a light and easy to read story. I gave it 4 stars, because I was especially drawn to the adjectives and saliva-producing descriptions used for the meals Li Jia (heroine/lead character) prepared as well as those she enjoyed during her travels throughout China. Will be discussing the book with a group of fellow readers, and am pleased to see my copy of the book has several pages of questions to help stimulate conversation and discussion between us. Also, I am look ...more
Katie
I’m going to say that I really enjoyed this book. Sure, there are typos, and the foreshadowing isn’t exactly what I’d call subtle, but it’s just such a fun, frivolous book to read. And when it comes to literature, I’d rank frivolity as one of my favorite traits.

Last summer I went through a phase where I became obsessed with reading books about food and foreign countries. Kitchen Chinese was put on my wish list then, but I never got around to purchasing until this semester, after Christmas book s
Yolanda

In author Ann Mah's first novel, KITCHEN CHINESE, the main character gets fired
from her job and dumped by her boyfriend of eighteen months--all in the same week.

A hip and savvy New Yorker, Isabelle Lee is an independent, fashionable, modern
young woman who works for Belle magazine. After being fired, Isabelle follows
her mother's advice and moves to Beijing, where she shares an apartment with
her sister, Claire.

In Beijing, Claire arranges for an interview so that Isabelle becomes "the dining
edi
Suzanne
“My first meal in Beijing is roasted duck, or kaoya as it’s called in Chinese. Glossy and brown, with crisp skin and meltingly moist flesh, the bird is cut into over one hundred pieces, in the traditional way.”

Ann Mah’s novel is definitely a winner. The first words left me salivating and, as I delved into Isabel Lee’s new life in Beijing, I found myself laughing and captivated. The story begins with a twenty-something wannabe journalist, who gets herself fired from a New York fashion magazine.
Susan
Imagine The Devil Wears Prada meets Bridget Jones--and heads to Bejing to start over. Kitchen Chinese is a delightful story of a young New Yorker, Isabelle Lee, who packs up to move to Beijing after a job-ending mishap at one of New York's top fashion magazines. When she joins her over-achieving big sister, Claire, Isabelle is immersed into Beijing life, where she finds she--and all the other expats who migrate there--can reinvent themselves in ways not possible back in their home countries. The ...more
Claire
I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to others who like to read about travel, FOOD, and the trials and tribulations of being a young woman searching for identity, love and career satisfaction. It's mainly light-hearted and fun, but it also delves into more serious issues that traditional chick-lit does not. The protagonist, Isabelle, is a likable character - humorous in a self-deprecating kind of way- and I often found myself laughing as I read the book. I also enjoyed the sister's ...more
Anne
An entertaining enough break from Les Miserables, which is the slog of the century.

I've been interested in Asian-American experience type books for ages, since I read The Joy Luck Club (many apologies to my Asian American Lit professor--I swear I like Maxine Hong Kingston and Linh Dinh and such as them too!). Kitchen Chinese was not especially well-written, but the food talk is fascinating, and the journey of the Chinese-American woman who uproots her life in New York to move to Beijing is grea
RuthAnn
Would recommend: No

I picked up this book at a Borders close-out sale because I thought it was A Tiger in the Kitchen: A Memoir of Food and Family. I totally missed the “a novel about …” description on the cover. It took me at least 20 pages before I figured out what I’d done, and I pushed ahead to see if the book was worth my time. It wasn’t. The plot was predictable, the heroine unlikable. The descriptions of the food were good, at least. But this one went straight to the donation box.
Vic
A terrible book. Full of gross fetishization. Language is stilted and flat, revealing either laziness or internalised racism on author's part. Chinese people aren't clueless idiots who go "juh juh juh" or who narrate every incident with simplistic one-or-two-words.

I find it interesting that the most fully realised characters are those that are white, or the closest to white. The author doesn't seem to problematise white expat culture AT ALL. When white-as-snow Geraldine blathered about being ab
Casey
I loved this book. It provided a perceptive view of contemporary China, leavened with humor and fascinating insights into identity and cross-cultural (mis)communication. Mah is a terrific writer -- she has a flair for the mot juste and has paced the book beautifully. Beijing comes alive. The city's energy and contrasts really jump off the page. The food descriptions were borderline torture -- I had to order take-out Chinese food several times during my reading! I can't wait for Mah's next book!
Kelly
How could this book be compared to Like Water For Chocolate? The book wasn't horrible, but it wasn't very good either. The writing style was mediocre, the storyline predictable, and the references to food sparse and not that interesting. I didn't hate the book, but I was disappointed. It's chick lit that isn't all that humorous or fun, and if you're looking for second generation struggles and returning to homeland to find oneself, it's here but not done that well.
Jo
I bought this book by mistake. I was tired and browsed shoddily. I thought I had picked up an autobiographical story about a Chinese American woman who went to live for a spell in China, reflecting on her experience there of food, culture, and questions about personal identity. Instead, when I got it home I realised it was a novel - of the worst sort: chick lit!!! How on earth did I miss that!!!? It was a Chinese American Bridget Jones, with a Beijing backdrop, angsting over still being single a ...more
Claire
As an author, I receive lots of requests to write quotes for books. This one jumped to the front of the pack. Ann writes beautifully and has a sharp eye and a fresh perspective. She also has a great blog at http://annmah.net.

Here's my quote: "Ann Mah's Kitchen Chines is a delicious debut novel, seasoned with just the right balance of humor and heart, and sprinkled with fascinating cultural tidbits. Read thoroughly. Share with friends."
Alaine
I was expecting a cross-cultural book about a woman who is transported to a world unknown as an expat. What I got was a great fiction cross-cultural story about a woman who is transported into an unknown world and is thrown into the world of expatriates, locals, romance, and the quest for good Chinese food. I love chick lit and I am also very into cross cultural books so this was an exciting marriage of the two genres.
Harvee
Jul 02, 2010 Harvee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: food lovers, women, travellers
I enjoyed Ann Mah's writing and the way she combined setting and regional cuisine in her story of the two Chinese-American sisters. I could relate to demands or expectations of parents, and the sometimes testy relationship between a younger and older sibling - these seem to be universal. My full review...
Kari
Reading this book didn't make me too hungry, but it could have! I like that each chapter started with a description of a type of Chinese food. I liked the Beijing setting, since I have visited that city a few years ago, and eaten some of the styles of food Isabelle describes, both in the book, and in her column as a restaurant reviewer.
A nice story about identity, finding yourself in the world and the world in you- Isabelle is a Chinese-American, born in America; her mother fled China in the 19
Trudi
Reminded me of "Foreign Babes in Beijing." Chinese American young woman goes to China and becomes food critic for expat magazine. Her "adventures" in Beijing along with her relationship with her sister who is an attorney in Beijing for an American law firm. Kept my interest, but it's far from a "great" book.
Gwenette
Ann Mah's first novel -- pretty good. Good characters that you quickly come to like, a little romance, lots of descriptions of food and culture. An enjoyable read.
Janet
Her Beijing was very different from my Beijing but the food scenes, particularly, brought back so many memories (mostly good) of my time there and in Taiwan. Bookclubs will like this one as will anyone liking yummy food descriptions, light romance, and travel stories.
Mindy
I wanted to like this book because it has tie-ins to several things I like: foodie stuff and international culture.

From the beginning, this was difficult to get into. Even though I hate the term, this book exemplifies everything I don't like about "chick-lit": whiny navel gazing and dependent on a man for feelings of self-worth.

I started reading this and put it down for a bit. Once I got about a third of the way through, I was able to read through faster and didn't put it down until I finished (
Mindy
A really interesting look at the growth of Beijing, as well as the inner workings of Chinese families and culture, with a bit of food knowledge sprinkled in. If any of that sounds at all interesting to you, I'd recommend it -- it was a worthwhile read.
Gillian
I read this lazing by the pool in Umbria at the end of last summer.

A word of warning. DO NOT read this book hungry. I was starving the whole way through!

A delightful romp through China, expat life and crazy delicious food.
Lauren
A book that will make you immediately rush to the phone ad order take-out chinese or go to your nearest chinese restauraunt to eat!
Hilary Dixon
The formulaic nature of this novel (girl suffers crisis, girl meets boy, girl and boy do inept courtship, insert miscommunication, girl and boy live happily ever after) supersedes the three plot points listed in the title: Food, Family and Finding Yourself. Yes, there is talk about food, which is the most interesting part. Learning about the origins, combinations and regional specialties of China is fascinating. The family part is rote and the finding yourself part had me wondering if the main c ...more
Long review short: the tired triangular complications of romantic interests notwithstanding, I liked this.

It's a bit of a mixed bag-- cultural identity issues, sisterhood relationship, with a heavy dose (unfortunately) of chick-lit fare right in the middle of the story-- to the point where I wanted to call it quits, but the presence and truth of the other two factors were wincingly realistic enough to keep me engaged all the way to the typical happy-shiny ending.

Also, I'm starting to remember ho
  • Hour of the Rat (Ellie McEnroe, #2)
  • The Search Angel
  • A Simple Thing
  • Murder Below Montparnasse  (Aimee Leduc Investigations #13)
  • By Fire, by Water
  • In Need of a Good Wife
  • The Shortest Way Home
  • Lucky Girl
  • Why Can't I Be You
  • Death in the Floating City (Lady Emily, #7)
  • The Wednesday Daughters
  • After You
  • The Headmaster's Wager
  • Serve the People: A Stir-Fried Journey Through China
Ann Mah is a food and travel writer, and author of a novel, Kitchen Chinese (HarperCollins), and a food memoir, Mastering the Art of French Eating (Viking Penguin). Her articles about food, travel, fashion, style and the arts have appeared in the New York Times, Condé Nast Traveler, the International Herald Tribune, Washingtonian magazine and other publications.

After graduating from UCLA, Ann bega
More about Ann Mah...
Mastering the Art of French Eating: Lessons in Food and Love from a Year in Paris