Start by marking “Surface Treatment Workshop: Explore 45 Mixed-Media Techniques” as Want to Read:
Surface Treatment Workshop: Explore 45 Mixed-Media Techniques

Surface Treatment Workshop: Explore 45 Mixed-Media Techniques

Breaking the Surface

Pondering how to begin a new piece of art? "Surface Treatment Workshop" has the answer! The authors of "Image Transfer Workshop" are back to show you 45 stepped-out mixed-media techniques that will add depth and texture to your artwork. These techniques are the perfect jump-off point for creating art you will love to look at, and, in some cases, touch!

Published May 3rd 2011 by Northlight (first published February 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Surface Treatment Workshop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surface Treatment Workshop

liberal sprinkles
What an incredible book this is to learn about different ways of creating mixed-media art. The book covers a lot of techniques, many of which I haven't seen in other art or mixed media books. And you really get bang for your bucks as the authors list (though not in detail) several variations you can try with each technique.

The 45 techniques taught are categorized as additives (drawing grounds, ventilation tape, skins and shaving foam are some I found more unusual), resist (petroleum jelly, rubbi
Marie Z. Johansen
Jun 04, 2011 Marie Z. Johansen rated it it was amazing
I love this book! I was hesitant about it because the author's previous book "Image Transfer Workshop" is, in my humble opinion, one of the best books I've invested in (and I invest a lot in books!) and I wasn't sure that a new book could live up to that opinion. I am SO happy to report that this book is another home run, totally out-of-the-ball park winner of a book.

The lay out is very well considered and the instructions are superlative - perfectly illustrated with photos that relate directly
A very usable collection of ideas for making a variety of surfaces for mixed media pieces. The only limit is your time and imagination in how these are combined and put to use.
Laurel Siler
Interesting concept, poorly written
Jan 11, 2012 Melody rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people into collage or mixed media arts
Shelves: art
some great basics to get you going. I would have liked a few more pages and details on each treatment. In one section there is a mention of water-slide transfer and I flipped back forth round and round to find what the hell that was and couldn't find might be there and I'm missing it...but still, I heard of things like "fiber paste" that I'd never heard of and learned ways to use my gel medium stuff...i learned a lot from this book. Got a lot of ideas and inspiration. Just wish it had m ...more
Jun 30, 2013 Darby rated it it was ok
Shelves: art-crafts, library, 2013
I only gave this book 2 stars because I felt the instructions on each treatment/technique lacked. The instructions weren't complete and when attempting techniques - they didn't turn out. To get ideas to experiment on your own without the instructions is probably the best way to use this book.
Feb 11, 2014 Doaa rated it really liked it
Well,, i didn't try any technique yet,,
but i enjoyed reading this book,,
and some techniques gave really interesting results so i can't wait to try it,, :)
4 stars because some techniques weren't awesome :D
Jul 27, 2012 Palma rated it really liked it
If you want to learn how to vreate many different kinds of textures then this is on of the books to buy. It is filled with images and very inspirational.

A great book and very well written . Highly recommended.
Jul 27, 2012 Rikelle rated it really liked it
An excellent reference for any artist. Great pictures, detailed instructions and examples. There are some very interesting techniques that I haven't seen in other books. I am excited to try some out.
Oct 09, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it
I received this as a prize from Rice Freeman-Zachery's fabulous blog Lots of great ideas in this book; so glad to have it in my arsenal. Thanks Rice!
Apr 29, 2012 Jo rated it it was amazing
Good primer for mixed media work. Has the standard techniques plus some innovative and interesting new ones too. Recommended for all levels of experience.
Geri Degruy
Jan 20, 2013 Geri Degruy rated it it was amazing
I love this book. 45 well-described, wonderful mixed media techniques. I use them! Great book.
Nov 11, 2013 Beverley rated it it was amazing
Incredible and one i need to own on my buying list.
Laura Lawless
Jun 16, 2013 Laura Lawless rated it really liked it
Informative and inspiring. A great reference.
Nancy akerly
Nancy akerly is currently reading it
Oct 21, 2016
Tunde rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2016
Charleen Martin
Charleen Martin rated it really liked it
Jennifer Alexander
Jennifer Alexander rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2016
Sharon marked it as to-read
Denise Wynn
Denise Wynn marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2016
Bob Clague
Bob Clague rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2016
Kris rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2016
Sally marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2016
z c mcleod
z c mcleod rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2016
Kathy McElroy
Kathy McElroy rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2016
Marsie rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Tiffany Perry
Tiffany Perry rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Christy rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2016
DIY TILATA rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2016
Tameika rated it it was ok
Aug 30, 2016
  • Creative Paint Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists: Experimental Techniques for Composition, Layering, Texture, Imagery, and Encaustic
  • Art at the Speed of Life: motivation + inspiration for making mixed-media art every day
  • Personal Geographies: Explorations in Mixed-Media Mapmaking
  • Water Paper Paint: Exploring Creativity with Watercolor and Mixed Media
  • Creative Wildfire: An Introduction to Art Journaling - Basics and Beyond
  • Painted Pages: Fueling Creativity with Sketchbooks and Mixed Media
  • The Art Journal Workshop: Break Through, Explore, and Make it Your Own
  • The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More
  • Acrylic Revolution: New Tricks & Techniques for Working with the World's Most Versatile Medium
  • Artist Trading Cards Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • Dan Eldon: Safari as a Way of Life
  • The Book as Art: Artists' Books from the National Museum of Women in the Arts
  • Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings
  • 500 Handmade Books: Inspiring Interpretations of a Timeless Form (500 Series)
  • Drawn to Stitch: Line, Drawing, and Mark-Making in Textile Art
  • Artist's Journal Workshop: Creating Your Life in Words and Pictures
  • Unfurling, A Mixed-Media Workshop with Misty Mawn: Inspiration and Techniques for Self-Expression through Art
  • Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression