Start by marking “Zoe's Lesson” as Want to Read:
Zoe's Lesson

Zoe's Lesson (The Balfour Brides #5)

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Everyone's talking about Zoe Balfour—the illegitimate heiress! She flies to New York to discover more about her biological family and goes a little wild, shocking even herself by spending one night with a gorgeous stranger....

The gradual loss of his sight has caused Manhattan mogul Max Monroe to close himself off from the world—a wife and child are most certainly not on hi

Published 2010 by Mills & Boon

Harlequin Presents can be awesome in their mind-boggling intensity, but this one was enjoyable in a less eye-rolling way, delivering the good gut-wrenching I love along with, of all things, a little actual character development.

Zoe and Max meet at exceptionally low points in both of their lives. Zoe, daughter of a well-known British gazillionaire, has just learned that an unknown man actually fathered her; she's dogged by scandalmongers and miserably unsure about where she fits in the world. Ma
Maisey Yates
I really enjoyed this book. I love, love, love a tortured hero and he was that and more. Max is a man with a dark past facing a dark future, and there is no easy out. That's one of the things I really enjoyed: The h & H found happiness, but it wasn't because they fell in love and all of their problems vanished. What made it great was them finding happiness and dealing with a future that wasn't going to be perfect.

He was an alpha male who had vulnerability, and there's nothing sexier than tha
Wow. Well, what can I say? I was all set to hate this book. hell, I DO hate it. it was a huge steaming pile of freshly crapped horse manure. zoe was pathetic. she was childish, selfish and stupid. no matter how I tried, I couldn't sympathize with her. In my eyes, she was completely unloveable.
as for Max, don't get me started. he completely demoralised the blind. yes, its hard. yes, it takes things away from you but it doesn't mean the end. there is Braille and guide dogs and sticks and all kinds
Pretty good. The hero had 2 issues that contributed to his angsty goodness. I didn't like the heroine much but she wasn't really bad or anything. I just have a hard time with books where all I can picture is Paris Hilton as the heroine. The writing was well done and the plot made sense.
This review is published on Always a Booklover .

5 words. What a waste of time. I tried liking the book, but I really couldn't. As I got to the end, all I could think of was why why why did I even bother reading this book? Sure, the lessons the characters learn are pretty applicable to real life. But the story is just sooo cliche and really rather shallow. The pace of the book was way too fast and abrupt with many things left unexplained. Even the romance was practically non-existent. After read
Zoe es la tercer hija del magnate Oscar Balfour y su primer esposa, a sus 26 años descubrió gracias a un viejo diario de su difunta madre, que no era una verdadera Balfour.
Zoe viajó a Nueva York para recabar información sobre su familia biológica y allí se sorprendió a sí misma pasando la noche en brazos de un guapísimo desconocido. Max Monroe, el poderoso magnate neoyorquino, quien sufría una pérdida de visión progresiva que lo había empujado a encerrarse en sí mismo.
Pero una noche de sexo dio
Read this book on a whim. I was pleasantly surprised that I really liked it. It actually made me tear up a little bit. I read it in two days and I was glad I did. I think I might read more of the Harlequin Presents/Romance novels. Recommend this for people who like romance novels.
Fanniny Moreno Zavaleta
I hated Zoe from the beginning and didn't believe she really changed, It's a shame because I loved Max
Jeanette Grey
This book was full of heart twinges and broken people trying to figure out who they are. The hero was incredibly compelling - he made my heart swoon and hurt for him on the regular. While the heroine was less relatable, she still went through an emotional journey that made me feel for her.

My biggest complaint would be that I thought they moved from "you're intriguing" to "I love you" very fast. And I would have loved to have seen something of an epilogue where we see how Max deals with the even
harlequin at its peak, with socialite, blind angsty hero, pregnancy and drama :)
Amanda Sheila
What a quick read. Finished it in an hour and half.

Zoe's not her father's real daughter. Apparently, her mom has her as a summer fling from some other man. Now completely lost and lonely, she traveled to New York to find her real father. But then he met Max..

Very short story yet very heart-wrenching one. Not exactly my favorite though, mostly because I don't feel—I can't feel Max's heart. I know he's troubled but still, I kind of hate him for making Zoe felt sad.

It's too short, in my opinion.
I usually enjoy Kate's books but this one was really bad
Karen Kirst
The premise hooked me. A hero losing his sight, hurting emotionally and certain his future is bleak, who unexpectedly gets socialite Zoe pregnant after one encounter. However, I had trouble with the fact he continually lashed out at her and pushed her away, and she kept coming back for more. It felt like his apology at the end wasn't enough to make up for his actions.
Vanessa Jaye
I liked this and will read more by Kate Hewitt. The characters were different and difficult, which made them interesting/memorable but I do have my doubts about them being in love. Also their fall-back behavior combined with the age difference makes me question how long their HEA will last. Also though the author did a great job with the setting.
Lady Jaye
Heroines who act all bitchy because they discover that the man whose loved them and taken care of them and provided money for their extravagant tastes is not their biological father don't deserve anything good. Not when there are so many people starved for love and attention both in real life and in books.
Number 5 in the series. I seriously think most of the authors for this series had received a copy of the simple life staring Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie as part of their research of the lead female characters and their mindset.
Zoe's a Balfour--only she's not. She just discovered she was the "Balfour bastard" and has run to hide in New York. The tycoon is losing his vision and not happy about it. This is a touching, poignant story. I liked it a lot.
This was a cute Harlequin read, nothing particularly special, don't think it probably merits a re-read. An easy afternoon romance if you don't hate Paris Hilton types with a passion.
Its a little different than mills and boon typical contemporary romance. In all Balfour legacy series heroines are not poor and needy.
A wonderful, unusual story about love, loss, riches and the illusions people often hide behind, particularly in 'society'.
Good story of two broken souls.

The supposed connection though to the other books - the heroines are sisters.
Jennifer Mcpherson
didnt like the conclusion......good storyline but even in the conclusion don't know what happen to his eyesight
I liked that the hero wasn't perfect and that his condition wouldn't just magically be alright at the end.
Lynn Raye Harris
Great story by Kate Hewitt! So full of angst and passion. I loved it!
3.5* My favourite of the series so far
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: The Balfour Brides
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: The Balfour Brides
will let you know when i have read it
Toke marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
  • Annie and the Red-Hot Italian (The Balfour Brides, #6)
  • Emily and the Notorious Prince (The Balfour Brides #3)
  • Sophie and the Scorching Sicilian (The Balfour Brides #4)
  • Olivia and the Billionaire Cattle King (The Balfour Brides #8)
  • Bella and the Merciless Sheikh (The Balfour Brides #7)
  • Kat and the Dare-Devil Spaniard (The Balfour Brides #2)
  • One Unashamed Night (Wellinghams, #2)
  • Blind Impulse
  • The Viscount in Her Bedroom (Willow Pond, #3)
  • Wife in Public (Harlequin Presents, #2977)
  • A Marine for Christmas (Harlequin Super Romance (Larger Print))
  • The Restless Billionaire (Bad Blood #3)
  • Mia and the Powerful Greek (The Balfour Brides, #1)
  • The Fearless Maverick (Bad Blood, #4)
  • Rocky Mountain Match (Rocky Mountain, #1)
  • A Shameful Consequence
  • Red Hot Renegade (Bennett #5)
  • The Santorini Bride
Kate is the USA Today-bsetselling author of 35 romances with Harlequin Presents, hundreds of short stories, and several historical novels and anthologies now available on Kindle. Her first women's fiction with Penguin/NAL, Rainy Day Sisters, will be out in August 2015.

She likes to read romance, mystery, the occasional straight historical and angsty women's fiction; she particularly enjoys reading
More about Kate Hewitt...

The Balfour Brides (8 books)
  • Mia and the Powerful Greek (The Balfour Brides, #1)
  • Kat and the Dare-Devil Spaniard (The Balfour Brides #2)
  • Emily and the Notorious Prince (The Balfour Brides #3)
  • Sophie and the Scorching Sicilian (The Balfour Brides #4)
  • Annie and the Red-Hot Italian (The Balfour Brides, #6)
  • Bella and the Merciless Sheikh (The Balfour Brides #7)
  • Olivia and the Billionaire Cattle King (The Balfour Brides #8)
Out In The Country This Fragile Life The Lone Wolfe (Bad Blood, #8) An Inheritance of Shame (Sicily's Corretti Dynasty, #4) The Sheikh's Forbidden Virgin (The Royal House of Karedes #4)