Start by marking “Zoe's Lesson” as Want to Read:
Zoe's Lesson

Zoe's Lesson (The Balfour Brides #5)

Everyone's talking about Zoe Balfour—the illegitimate heiress! She flies to New York to discover more about her biological family and goes a little wild, shocking even herself by spending one night with a gorgeous stranger....

The gradual loss of his sight has caused Manhattan mogul Max Monroe to close himself off from the world—a wife and child are most certainly not on hi

Published 2010 by Mills & Boon

Colleen
Dec 13, 2012 Colleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Well, what can I say? I was all set to hate this book. hell, I DO hate it. it was a huge steaming pile of freshly crapped horse manure. zoe was pathetic. she was childish, selfish and stupid. no matter how I tried, I couldn't sympathize with her. In my eyes, she was completely unloveable.
as for Max, don't get me started. he completely demoralised the blind. yes, its hard. yes, it takes things away from you but it doesn't mean the end. there is Braille and guide dogs and sticks and all kinds
Maisey Yates
Dec 30, 2010 Maisey Yates rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I love, love, love a tortured hero and he was that and more. Max is a man with a dark past facing a dark future, and there is no easy out. That's one of the things I really enjoyed: The h & H found happiness, but it wasn't because they fell in love and all of their problems vanished. What made it great was them finding happiness and dealing with a future that wasn't going to be perfect.

He was an alpha male who had vulnerability, and there's nothing sexier than tha
Victoria
This review is published on Always a Booklover .

5 words. What a waste of time. I tried liking the book, but I really couldn't. As I got to the end, all I could think of was why why why did I even bother reading this book? Sure, the lessons the characters learn are pretty applicable to real life. But the story is just sooo cliche and really rather shallow. The pace of the book was way too fast and abrupt with many things left unexplained. Even the romance was practically non-existent. After read
willaful
Harlequin Presents can be awesome in their mind-boggling intensity, but this one was enjoyable in a less eye-rolling way, delivering the good gut-wrenching I love along with, of all things, a little actual character development.

Zoe and Max meet at exceptionally low points in both of their lives. Zoe, daughter of a well-known British gazillionaire, has just learned that an unknown man actually fathered her; she's dogged by scandalmongers and miserably unsure about where she fits in the world. Ma
Jeanette Grey
Jun 17, 2011 Jeanette Grey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
This book was full of heart twinges and broken people trying to figure out who they are. The hero was incredibly compelling - he made my heart swoon and hurt for him on the regular. While the heroine was less relatable, she still went through an emotional journey that made me feel for her.

My biggest complaint would be that I thought they moved from "you're intriguing" to "I love you" very fast. And I would have loved to have seen something of an epilogue where we see how Max deals with the even
Jacqueline
Pretty good. The hero had 2 issues that contributed to his angsty goodness. I didn't like the heroine much but she wasn't really bad or anything. I just have a hard time with books where all I can picture is Paris Hilton as the heroine. The writing was well done and the plot made sense.
Fanniny Moreno Zavaleta
I hated Zoe from the beginning and didn't believe she really changed, It's a shame because I loved Max
Makii
Aug 31, 2012 Makii rated it really liked it
Zoe es la tercer hija del magnate Oscar Balfour y su primer esposa, a sus 26 años descubrió gracias a un viejo diario de su difunta madre, que no era una verdadera Balfour.
Zoe viajó a Nueva York para recabar información sobre su familia biológica y allí se sorprendió a sí misma pasando la noche en brazos de un guapísimo desconocido. Max Monroe, el poderoso magnate neoyorquino, quien sufría una pérdida de visión progresiva que lo había empujado a encerrarse en sí mismo.
Pero una noche de sexo dio
Amanda Sheila
What a quick read. Finished it in an hour and half.

Zoe's not her father's real daughter. Apparently, her mom has her as a summer fling from some other man. Now completely lost and lonely, she traveled to New York to find her real father. But then he met Max..

Very short story yet very heart-wrenching one. Not exactly my favorite though, mostly because I don't feel—I can't feel Max's heart. I know he's troubled but still, I kind of hate him for making Zoe felt sad.

It's too short, in my opinion.
Vanessa Jaye
Dec 05, 2010 Vanessa Jaye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this and will read more by Kate Hewitt. The characters were different and difficult, which made them interesting/memorable but I do have my doubts about them being in love. Also their fall-back behavior combined with the age difference makes me question how long their HEA will last. Also though the author did a great job with the setting.
Lady Jaye
Heroines who act all bitchy because they discover that the man whose loved them and taken care of them and provided money for their extravagant tastes is not their biological father don't deserve anything good. Not when there are so many people starved for love and attention both in real life and in books.
Karen Kirst
The premise hooked me. A hero losing his sight, hurting emotionally and certain his future is bleak, who unexpectedly gets socialite Zoe pregnant after one encounter. However, I had trouble with the fact he continually lashed out at her and pushed her away, and she kept coming back for more. It felt like his apology at the end wasn't enough to make up for his actions.
Destiny
Dec 04, 2010 Destiny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gail
Zoe's a Balfour--only she's not. She just discovered she was the "Balfour bastard" and has run to hide in New York. The tycoon is losing his vision and not happy about it. This is a touching, poignant story. I liked it a lot.
Tishke
Apr 23, 2013 Tishke rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Number 5 in the series. I seriously think most of the authors for this series had received a copy of the simple life staring Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie as part of their research of the lead female characters and their mindset.
Cristi
Feb 08, 2014 Cristi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book on a whim. I was pleasantly surprised that I really liked it. It actually made me tear up a little bit. I read it in two days and I was glad I did. I think I might read more of the Harlequin Presents/Romance novels. Recommend this for people who like romance novels.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: The Balfour Brides
Karen
will let you know when i have read it
Tara
Jul 15, 2011 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked that the hero wasn't perfect and that his condition wouldn't just magically be alright at the end.
Lindalee
Oct 08, 2014 Lindalee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I usually enjoy Kate's books but this one was really bad
Lynn Raye Harris
Great story by Kate Hewitt! So full of angst and passion. I loved it!
Sasha
Jul 18, 2012 Sasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful, unusual story about love, loss, riches and the illusions people often hide behind, particularly in 'society'.
Ladyacct
May 01, 2011 Ladyacct rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shorts
Good story of two broken souls.

The supposed connection though to the other books - the heroines are sisters.
Meredith
This was a cute Harlequin read, nothing particularly special, don't think it probably merits a re-read. An easy afternoon romance if you don't hate Paris Hilton types with a passion.
Famma
Mar 28, 2012 Famma rated it it was ok
Its a little different than mills and boon typical contemporary romance. In all Balfour legacy series heroines are not poor and needy.
Jennifer Mcpherson
didnt like the conclusion......good storyline but even in the conclusion don't know what happen to his eyesight
Leticia
harlequin at its peak, with socialite, blind angsty hero, pregnancy and drama :)
Asleema
Asleema rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2014
Laura Vazquez
Laura Vazquez rated it it was ok
Sep 24, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2013
  • Annie and the Red-Hot Italian (The Balfour Brides, #6)
  • Emily and the Notorious Prince (The Balfour Brides #3)
  • Sophie and the Scorching Sicilian (The Balfour Brides #4)
  • Olivia and the Billionaire Cattle King (The Balfour Brides #8)
  • Bella and the Merciless Sheikh (The Balfour Brides #7)
  • Kat and the Dare-Devil Spaniard (The Balfour Brides #2)
  • Blind Impulse
  • The Fearless Maverick (Bad Blood, #4)
  • The Restless Billionaire (Bad Blood #3)
  • Wife in Public (Harlequin Presents, #2977)
  • One Unashamed Night (Wellinghams, #2)
  • The Viscount in Her Bedroom (Willow Pond, #3)
  • Mia and the Powerful Greek (The Balfour Brides, #1)
  • Rocky Mountain Match (Rocky Mountain, #1)
  • A Marine for Christmas
  • The Reluctant Surrender
  • Bound by the Marcolini Diamonds (Marcolini Men, #2) (Harlequin Presents, #2853)
  • A Shameful Consequence
Kate is the USA Today-bsetselling author of over 40 books of women's fiction and romance. She is the author of the Hartley-by-the-Sea series, set in England's Lake District and published by Penguin. She is also, under the name Katharine Swartz, the author of the Tales from Goswell books, a series of time-slip novels set in the village of Goswell. Other series include the Emigrants Trilogy, the Amh ...more
More about Kate Hewitt...

The Balfour Brides (8 books)
  • Mia and the Powerful Greek (The Balfour Brides, #1)
  • Kat and the Dare-Devil Spaniard (The Balfour Brides #2)
  • Emily and the Notorious Prince (The Balfour Brides #3)
  • Sophie and the Scorching Sicilian (The Balfour Brides #4)
  • Annie and the Red-Hot Italian (The Balfour Brides, #6)
  • Bella and the Merciless Sheikh (The Balfour Brides #7)
  • Olivia and the Billionaire Cattle King (The Balfour Brides #8)