Start by marking “The Message New Testament with Psalms and Proverbs” as Want to Read:
The Message New Testament with Psalms and Proverbs

The Message New Testament with Psalms and Proverbs

This New Testament is different from any other New Testament on the market. Written in the rhythms of today's language, The Message New Testament brings out the Scripture's expressive flavor that will bring a unique freshness whether you are reading it for the first time or have been studying it for years.
Published November 1st 2009 by NavPress Publishing Group (first published March 1st 1996)

Be the first to ask a question about The Message New Testament with Psalms and Proverbs

Lia
Oct 29, 2010 Lia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
I like the KJV for the poetry. But, really, it's Early Modern English poetry, which doesn't really have much to do with the actual New Testament. The thing I love about Peterson's translation which he calls "The Message" is that while it reads like Modern English, it still retains a poetic feel to it. Most modern translations feel very clunky to me, off-putting, awkward. Not this one. When I read John the Baptist's speech to the Pharisees, it's like I can really hear him saying it. Because no do ...more
Kristi
Jan 13, 2011 Kristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peterson's translation does modernize the texts quite a bit. I found it easy to connect with my own life because the language was closer to what I was used to. However, there were not verse numbers which was bothersome when I wanted to jot down the exact verse. I typically read it side-by-side with my NIV version of "The Bible." Generally, the New Testament is easier to follow and connect with but I did take different things from Peterson's version than I did from the typical NIV version. For pe ...more
Victoria
Whatever your beliefs, this is the most interesting version of the Bible I've seen. Consider this oft quoted passage from First Corinthians 13:

"Love doesn't want what it doesn't have. Love doesn't strut. Doesn't have a swelled head. Doesn't force itself on others. Isn't always 'Me first.' Doesn't fly off the handle. Doesn't keep score of the sins of others. Doesn't revel when others grovel."

Gotta enjoy that!
Carol-lee Zuvich
I don't recommend it because the translations seem to be taken out of context of what was intended in The New Testament and I have the version with Billy Graham's comments between each Book. A little too conservative for me.
Yolanda
Jan 03, 2016 Yolanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the verbiage of the Message and appreciate the NIV, ESV, AND CHB as well. I am not a poetic type of person and that is why the KJ and NKJ doesn't appeal to me.
Mallory
Dec 29, 2016 Mallory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
Wasn't sure how I'd feel about The Message version, but I really enjoyed going through familiar passages and seeing them in a new light.
Dan Glover
Jan 12, 2010 Dan Glover rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
With partial success, changes the words of Scripture into the vernacular of a small portion of the wannabe hip young, white people of a segment of North America and successfully locks it firmly into that historical and cultural context. Already distorts the meaning of much if not most of the passages it covers and even this text standing on its own (distorted as it is and without comparing it to the nuances of the original languages or a very good English translation) will likely be unintelligib ...more
John
Jan 25, 2010 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It actually has been a few weeks since I finished this and went on to a different translation.
But one thing that struck me in this reading was the sense of tension in the book of John. Virtually from the start, there is a tension between Jesus and the religious leaders, and it just builds and builds.
Still, after spending more than a year with my daily reading mostly being in The Message, I'm glad to get back to my old standby, the New American Standard Bible, for a while.
Peter Krol
Mar 24, 2011 Peter Krol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read The Message in its entirety, not just the New Testament. I thoroughly enjoyed it for a quick read-through of the Scripture. I would not recommend this version for any detailed study of the Scripture because Peterson's contemporary language and use of euphemism obscures most verbal repetition and syntax. However, for simply reading and getting the sense of the whole, it was really fun.
Bcoghill Coghill
Jan 27, 2015 Bcoghill Coghill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
I had a non-electronic edition of this book long ago. It came out before the whole Holy Bible version.
I find most of what I am interested in in this N.T. and Psalms version. I do own the whole H.B. in printed form but with this electronic version I seldom have to pull it off of the shelf.
I particularly love what Peterson has done with the Psalms.
Michael Tyler
Did you want to hear the Gospel in accord with today's culture? Are you interested in applying the Gospel to you life without a barrier of an antiquated language? Eugene Peterson clearly shares God's word, inspired, for this time. From Mathew to Revelation, find each book and chapter, sentence and word applicable to life in this day.
Bev Dowdell
Oct 24, 2014 Bev Dowdell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A daily read. Inspirational and always shines the light of truth and the spirit of God in the pages. Illuminating. Pick any page and there is something of value and what I need to help me whatever the circumstance. Full of easy to read wisdom, solace, love and peace.
Kari
Nov 29, 2009 Kari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this version because I was hoping to get a simplified view of the Old Testament. Silly me - I ordered the wrong Testament. But I read it anyway and immediately got hooked. I'm not as big of a fan of the Psalms/Proverbs in this version, but really enjoyed the New Testament.
Rick
Aug 07, 2008 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A contemporary paraphrase of the new testament by a serious writer who is also a root language scholar. Very earthy, some part refreshingly so and others too much so. The Pauline letters seemed to work the best for me.
Matt
Apr 16, 2008 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peterson did an excellent job on this one. It is refreshing to read next to the NIV. It gives a great view and take on the text.
Nick Walton
May 27, 2011 Nick Walton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
consistent go-backery. I love the way Peterson unpacks the old Biblical texts & sets them out there.
Joyce
Jul 22, 2012 Joyce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE they way Peterson puts God's Word into our contemporary language. It makes me think from perspectives I have not before! I am ALWAYS currently reading this book!
Jill
Jan 11, 2012 Jill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a pocket version and I don't go anywhere without it! The language resonates with me like no other translation. Love The Message!
Shelly
Jan 01, 2009 Shelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I should be reading at all times, I have no excuses. An easier read for me than the bible or should I say easier for me to understand.
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2011
Ty
Ty rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Brandon
Brandon rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2012
Elaine Valente
Elaine Valente rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2014
Douglas N. Bryan
Douglas N. Bryan rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2013
Eva Sonnier
Eva Sonnier rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2016
A.J.
A.J. rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2014
Kristin
Kristin rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2014
Shari Scott
Shari Scott rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2013
Andrew Parsons
Andrew Parsons rated it it was ok
Oct 04, 2015
  • Becoming a Woman of Freedom
  • Psalms for Praying: An Invitation to Wholeness
  • The New Testament in Modern English
  • Be Right (Romans): How to Be Right with God, Yourself, and Others (The BE Series Commentary)
  • Synopsis of the Four Gospels
  • Good Goats: Healing Our Image of God
  • The Bible Period by Period A Manual for the Study of the Bible by Periods
  • The Promise: How God Works All Things Together for Good
  • Powerful Prayers for Troubled Times
  • What's the Least I Can Believe and Still Be a Christian?: A Guide to What Matters Most
  • Present Concerns
Eugene H. Peterson is a pastor, scholar, author, and poet. For many years he was James M. Houston Professor of Spiritual Theology at Regent College. He also served as founding pastor of Christ Our King Presbyterian Church in Bel Air, Maryland. He has written over thirty books, including Gold Medallion Book Award winner The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language a contemporary translation of t ...more
More about Eugene H. Peterson...