Start by marking “The Message New Testament with Psalms and Proverbs” as Want to Read:
The Message New Testament with Psalms and Proverbs

The Message New Testament with Psalms and Proverbs

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  321 ratings  ·  22 reviews
This New Testament is different from any other New Testament on the market. Written in the rhythms of today's language, The Message New Testament brings out the Scripture's expressive flavor that will bring a unique freshness whether you are reading it for the first time or have been studying it for years.
Published November 13th 2009 by Not Avail (first published January 1st 1993)

Be the first to ask a question about The Message New Testament with Psalms and Proverbs

Lia
I like the KJV for the poetry. But, really, it's Early Modern English poetry, which doesn't really have much to do with the actual New Testament. The thing I love about Peterson's translation which he calls "The Message" is that while it reads like Modern English, it still retains a poetic feel to it. Most modern translations feel very clunky to me, off-putting, awkward. Not this one. When I read John the Baptist's speech to the Pharisees, it's like I can really hear him saying it. Because no do ...more
Kristi
Peterson's translation does modernize the texts quite a bit. I found it easy to connect with my own life because the language was closer to what I was used to. However, there were not verse numbers which was bothersome when I wanted to jot down the exact verse. I typically read it side-by-side with my NIV version of "The Bible." Generally, the New Testament is easier to follow and connect with but I did take different things from Peterson's version than I did from the typical NIV version. For pe ...more
Michael Tyler
Did you want to hear the Gospel in accord with today's culture? Are you interested in applying the Gospel to you life without a barrier of an antiquated language? Eugene Peterson clearly shares God's word, inspired, for this time. From Mathew to Revelation, find each book and chapter, sentence and word applicable to life in this day.
Beverly Dowdell
A daily read. Inspirational and always shines the light of truth and the spirit of God in the pages. Illuminating. Pick any page and there is something of value and what I need to help me whatever the circumstance. Full of easy to read wisdom, solace, love and peace.
Dan Glover
With partial success, changes the words of Scripture into the vernacular of a small portion of the wannabe hip young, white people of a segment of North America and successfully locks it firmly into that historical and cultural context. Already distorts the meaning of much if not most of the passages it covers and even this text standing on its own (distorted as it is and without comparing it to the nuances of the original languages or a very good English translation) will likely be unintelligib ...more
John
It actually has been a few weeks since I finished this and went on to a different translation.
But one thing that struck me in this reading was the sense of tension in the book of John. Virtually from the start, there is a tension between Jesus and the religious leaders, and it just builds and builds.
Still, after spending more than a year with my daily reading mostly being in The Message, I'm glad to get back to my old standby, the New American Standard Bible, for a while.
Victoria
Whatever your beliefs, this is the most interesting version of the Bible I've seen. Consider this oft quoted passage from First Corinthians 13:

"Love doesn't want what it doesn't have. Love doesn't strut. Doesn't have a swelled head. Doesn't force itself on others. Isn't always 'Me first.' Doesn't fly off the handle. Doesn't keep score of the sins of others. Doesn't revel when others grovel."

Gotta enjoy that!
Peter Krol
I read The Message in its entirety, not just the New Testament. I thoroughly enjoyed it for a quick read-through of the Scripture. I would not recommend this version for any detailed study of the Scripture because Peterson's contemporary language and use of euphemism obscures most verbal repetition and syntax. However, for simply reading and getting the sense of the whole, it was really fun.
Kari
I bought this version because I was hoping to get a simplified view of the Old Testament. Silly me - I ordered the wrong Testament. But I read it anyway and immediately got hooked. I'm not as big of a fan of the Psalms/Proverbs in this version, but really enjoyed the New Testament.
Carol-lee Zuvich
I don't recommend it because the translations seem to be taken out of context of what was intended in The New Testament and I have the version with Billy Graham's comments between each Book. A little too conservative for me.
Rick
A contemporary paraphrase of the new testament by a serious writer who is also a root language scholar. Very earthy, some part refreshingly so and others too much so. The Pauline letters seemed to work the best for me.
Joyce
I LOVE they way Peterson puts God's Word into our contemporary language. It makes me think from perspectives I have not before! I am ALWAYS currently reading this book!
Shelly
This is a book I should be reading at all times, I have no excuses. An easier read for me than the bible or should I say easier for me to understand.
Jill
I have a pocket version and I don't go anywhere without it! The language resonates with me like no other translation. Love The Message!
Matt
Peterson did an excellent job on this one. It is refreshing to read next to the NIV. It gives a great view and take on the text.
Nick Walton
consistent go-backery. I love the way Peterson unpacks the old Biblical texts & sets them out there.
Kelly
Great translation in today's language. Makes the New Testament really come alive.
Marcella
Always reading...can I write a book what I learned from this Book?
Adriana
I read this the whole way through; an incredible experience.
Cathy
This is a very helpful translation of the Bible to refer to!
Mayra Mejia
I read it often especially Psalms 23, 46, 91, 116
Christie Anne Fogleman
Very good Bible for a new Christian.
Michelle Blake
Michelle Blake marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Karen
Karen added it
Nov 18, 2014
  • Zondervan NIV Study Bible
  • Powerful Prayers for Troubled Times
  • Becoming a Woman of Freedom
  • Synopsis of the Four Gospels
  • HarperCollins Study Bible - Student Edition: Fully Revised & Updated (New Revised Standard Version)
  • The Promise: How God Works All Things Together for Good
  • A Ready Defense: The Best of Josh McDowell
  • Grasping God's Word: A Hands-On Approach to Reading, Interpreting, and Applying the Bible
  • The New Testament in Modern English
  • Love for a Lifetime: Building a Marriage That Will Go the Distance
  • The Gospel of Ruth: Loving God Enough to Break the Rules
  • More Than Ordinary: Enjoying Life with God
  • The God Who Sees You: Look to Him When You Feel Discouraged, Forgotten, or Invisible
  • What's the Least I Can Believe and Still Be a Christian?: A Guide to What Matters Most
  • The First Epistle to the Corinthians
  • Live Like You Mean It: The 10 Crucial Questions That Will Help You Clarify Your Purpose / Live Intentionally / Make the Most of the Rest of Your Life
  • A History of Israel
  • God's Story, Your Story: When His Becomes Yours
Eugene H. Peterson is a pastor, scholar, author, and poet. For many years he was James M. Houston Professor of Spiritual Theology at Regent College. He also served as founding pastor of Christ Our King Presbyterian Church in Bel Air, Maryland. He has written over thirty books, including Gold Medallion Book Award winner The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language a contemporary translation of t ...more
More about Eugene H. Peterson...
The Message Remix (Bible in Contemporary Language) A Long Obedience in the Same Direction: Discipleship in an Instant Society Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places: A Conversation in Spiritual Theology (Spiritual Theology #1) Eat This Book: A Conversation in the Art of Spiritual Reading (Spiritual Theology #2) The Pastor: A Memoir