Start by marking “The Pearl of Orr's Island: A Story of the Coast of Maine” as Want to Read:
The Pearl of Orr's Island: A Story of the Coast of Maine

The Pearl of Orr's Island: A Story of the Coast of Maine

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  117 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The rural tranquillity of the lonely, pine-girthed shores of the Maine coast is the setting for this beautiful novel of conflicting aspirations written by one of the most prolific and influential writers in American history. Here is the heartwarming story of a young girl's struggle to belong and fit in, in the face of adversity, and of her upbringing among strong women, gr ...more
Published February 20th 2001 by Mariner Books (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Pearl of Orr's Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pearl of Orr's Island

Jane
Jan 16, 2015 Jane rated it liked it
Shelves: classics, audio
Well, Harriet Beecher Stowe, you turned a perfectly good romance into religious moralizing. I'm not sure why I'm surprised. High five for acknowledging it, at least:

There are no doubt many, who have followed this history so long as it danced like a gay little boat over sunny waters, and who would have followed it gayly to the end, had it closed with ringing of marriage-bells, who turn from it indignantly, when they see that its course runs through the dark valley. This, they say, is an impositio
Susan
Aug 26, 2012 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Set on 19th century Orr's Island, Maine, this is the story of two orphaned children and the small rural/sea coast community they grow up in. Harriet Beecher Stowe lived in near-by Brunswick for several years, and her familiarity with the area comes through in the small details of life on the island and the characters of the inhabitants.
Jeri
Jul 16, 2012 Jeri rated it really liked it
I was thinking my mind needed a rigorous work-out, and I got it with this book. A very slow, winding read, it was first published in 1866. The English is very antiquated, but it transported me back in time to my teen years when I enjoyed this genteel type of literature.
Jeff
Mar 06, 2016 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Since I liked Uncle Tom's Cabin, I decided to try this. I was not disappointed at all. Her presentation of Christian life is very realistic and thought provoking.
Lisa
Jul 20, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it
I got this book because I was taking a trip to Maine. The story happened to take place exactly where I was vacationing in Maine -- Harpswell. So, that was very neat to read about. It's about the lives of two families on the coast of Maine in the late 1800s. It's an ok story, just very slow in some parts.
Amy
Sep 29, 2009 Amy rated it liked it
A good, simple (and sometimes slow) book about a life lived. Beautiful imagery of east coast scenery and a simple commentary of life in Maine in the late 1800s.

Thoughtful religiously-grounded story of a good life and death.
Ingeborg
May 01, 2011 Ingeborg marked it as to-read
Received as a gift an 1889 edition of this book - it's the 30th edition of the 1862 novel.
Julia Prater
Mar 08, 2011 Julia Prater rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Catching up on some oldies; this one is a delight. Love the style of prose!
Lauren
Jul 04, 2012 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OMG. So boring. I can't believe I made it to the end.
Sarah Sammis
Oct 14, 2010 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pc, read-in-1994
My favorite Harriet Beecher Stowe novel.
M'aureen Penn
M'aureen Penn marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Hayley Shaver
Hayley Shaver marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Cara Kent
Cara Kent rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Nyri
Nyri is currently reading it
May 07, 2016
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Susan Arnold
Susan Arnold rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
Charlie
Charlie marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Heather VT
Heather VT marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Zippy
Zippy marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Shelby
Shelby marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Thirza Peevey
Thirza Peevey rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Michelle O Connell
Michelle O Connell rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Said Arıcan
Said Arıcan rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
S Gregg
S Gregg marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Teena Welch
Teena Welch marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Bas van der Linden
Bas van der Linden marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Montellos
Montellos marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Lori Pitman
Lori Pitman rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Diane Macdonald
Diane Macdonald rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
  • Island Boy
  • Betty Greene: Wings to Serve: Christian Heroes: Then & Now
  • McGuffey's Second Eclectic Reader
  • The Days of Vengeance: An Exposition of the Book of Revelation
  • The Amy Vanderbilt Complete Book of Etiquette: 50th Anniversay Edition
  • Pillars of Grace, AD 100–1564 (A Long Line of Godly Men, #2)
  • True to the Old Flag
  • Becoming a Woman of Purpose
  • Sergeant York and the Great War (Men of Courage)
  • Scout: The Secret of the Swamp
  • The Puritan Family: Religion and Domestic Relations in Seventeenth-Century New England
  • Missionary Patriarch: The True Story of John G. Paton: Evangelist for Jesus Christ Among the South Sea Cannibals
  • Handcrafted CSS: More Bulletproof Web Design
  • When in the Course of Human Events: Arguing the Case for Southern Secession
  • Practicing Hospitality: The Joy of Serving Others
  • The Hospitality Commands: Building Loving Christian Community: Building Bridges to Friends and Neighbors
  • Mathematics: Is God Silent?
  • Shanghaied to China
Harriet Elizabeth Beecher Stowe (June 14, 1811 – July 1, 1896) was an American author and abolitionist, whose novel Uncle Tom's Cabin (1852) attacked the cruelty of slavery; it reached millions as a novel and play, and became influential, even in Britain. It made the political issues of the 1850s regarding slavery tangible to millions, energizing anti-slavery forces in the American North. It anger ...more
More about Harriet Beecher Stowe...

“It takes years and maturity to make the discovery that the power of faith is nobler than the power of doubt; and that there is a celestial wisdom in the ingenuous propensity to trust, which belongs to honest and noble natures.” 12 likes