Start by marking “Alice in Bed” as Want to Read:
Alice in Bed

Alice in Bed

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Alice in Bed is a free dramatic fantasy which merges the life of Alice James, the brilliant sister of William and Henry James, with the heroine of Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. It is a play about the anguish and grief and rage of women; and about the triumphs and limitations of the imagination.
Published June 1st 1993 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about Alice in Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alice in Bed

Ruzica
Susan Sontag said she had been preparing to write "Alice in bed" her whole life. After having read the play, I think I could only partially grasp the reasons and idea behind the play. I assume she didn't only have Alice James in mind when she was writing this, but rather all those gifted 19th century women who remained subservient to men although they were capable to give something valuable to the world themselves.

If she wasn't a woman, would Alice James be as equally successful as her well-kno
Mohammad Ali
داستان در مورد زنان است. زنانی که استعدادی دارند اما نمی توانند آن را ظاهر کنند - به خاطر تلقی ای که دیگران از زن بودن دارند و تعهدی که خود زنان به این تلقی نشان می دهند. آلیس همیشه در بستر است - نشان از ناتوانی - و پس از شنیدن داستان سفر رم از مارگارت، تنها در ذهن و خیال خود سفر به رم را مجسم می کند. و ... .

پایان نمایشنامه برای من قابل فهم نبود - پرده ی آخر. و از کلیت نمایشنامه هم چندان خوشم نیامد. چیزهای خوبی برای نقل قول کردن درش بود اما روایت در موارد زیادی به دل من ننشست.

ترجمه ترجمه ی متوسط
Kat!e Larson
I picked this book up off the shelf in the library with mild curiosity, and ended up sitting on the floor between the shelves reading the entire thing. As someone who has spent a lot of time ill and in bed, this book really connected with me. Alice's dry humor about her illness and her mild threats to commit suicide felt like things I had thought before. Even the trippy tea party felt familiar. This play made me feel like maybe I'm not so alone as I thought I was.
Kelly
A strangely surreal exploration of the inner life of Alice james (sister of the novelist Henry James). The book follows Alice through a series of odd scenes where her powerlessness and depression become evident. The sad fact is that despite Alice's intelligence and brilliance, she is thrown into this state because of the lack of opportunities for women in this era. Sontag highlights these issues in several scenes, which are alternately funny and sad.
Jori Richardson
A very dark, whimsical play fashioned after Lewis Carroll's "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland." There are references to symmetrical story-lines scattered through-out the play, at times subtle and at times obvious (for example, a Mad Tea Party).
The Alice of this book, Alice James, was an actual person related to Henry James. Sontag references Giselle and Wagner by putting their characters into her play. She also has Emily Dickinson attend Alice's tea party. The author references Virginia Woolf's
Alaina
Maybe it was because I didn't fully understand the historical concepts behind it, but I couldn't get into this play. Which is rare. I'm going to read it again, after some intensive background reading, but for my first time reading, I was dissapointed. It seemed quite sporadic, quite dull, and the little plot there was (not a problem--I'm all for non-realism) wasn't easy for me to understand. I'm hoping a second read through will improve my opinion, but who knows...we can't like all books.
Meghan
This is the quirkiest thing I've ever written. I didn't think I would enjoy it quite as much as I did, but it ended up being really good! I feel like it's one of those books you could read a dozen times and take something new from it each time.
Janet
I don't know that I should mark this as a book I've read since all I know of the play is the amazing performance I saw in fall of 2000 in NYC. I loved the stage version, however, and have been curious to know what the play reads like on paper.
S.B.
You could read the play or you could just look up Comme de Garçons Fall 2007. Wearing pajamas with tea and opium in Wonderland.
Zöe Yu
The only drama! My thesis about it. Also make me crazy. But I know I am Kundry, I always sleep.
Laleh
با تمام وجود احساسش کردم.‏
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Squeasel
Squeasel marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Chloe Gomez
Chloe Gomez marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Nicole Lemon
Nicole Lemon marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Anika Mi
Anika Mi marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Mw Pm
Mw Pm marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Gypsysoul_
Gypsysoul_ marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Ering
Ering marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
  • Les Bonnes
  • A Barthes Reader
  • Aunt Dan and Lemon
  • Fefu and Her Friends
  • A Star Shines Over Mt. Morris (Mercy of a Rude Stream, #1)
  • Sempre Susan: A Memoir of Susan Sontag
  • What the Butler Saw
  • Dreaming in French: The Paris Years of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy, Susan Sontag, and Angela Davis
  • Our Country's Good
  • Growing Up Absurd
  • The Complete Dramatic Works
  • Love Letters and Two Other Plays: The Golden Age, What I Did Last Summer
  • Place at the Table: The Gay Individual in American Society
  • Heroes and Saints and Other Plays: Giving Up the Ghost, Shadow of a Man, Heroes and Saints
  • A Short History of Chinese Philosophy
  • Sister Aimee: The Life of Aimee Semple McPherson
  • The London Merchant
  • City Poet: The Life and Times of Frank O'Hara
Jewish American literary theorist, novelist, filmmaker, and feminist activist.
More about Susan Sontag...
On Photography Against Interpretation and Other Essays Regarding the Pain of Others Illness as Metaphor & AIDS and Its Metaphors Reborn: Journals and Notebooks, 1947-1963