Start by marking “Defiant” as Want to Read:
Defiant

Defiant

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Publishers Weekly Starred Review

A rogue knight and an enchanting renegade join forces to right old wrongs in award-winning author Kris Kennedy's sizzling new medieval romance.

A warrior with questionable intentions . . .

Jamie Lost is King John's most renowned commander, a fearless lieutenant ordered to kidnap an exiled priest before rebel forces close in. The mission is sim...more
Published April 26th 2011 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Defiant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defiant

Devil in Winter by Lisa KleypasKiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsThe Devil in Winter by Lisa KleypasA Hunger Like No Other by Kresley ColeWhat I Did For a Duke by Julie Anne Long
Desert Isle Keeper - Romance Genre
83rd out of 148 books — 41 voters
The Bride by Julie GarwoodA Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaughtThe Secret by Julie GarwoodRansom by Julie GarwoodHonor's Splendour by Julie Garwood
Best Medieval Romance Novels
300th out of 391 books — 612 voters

More lists with this book...

Paranormal Haven
Eva is forced back to England to chase after Father Peter, who was summoned by King John’s orders. With her comes the boy Roger who she has played mother to since they fled his home years ago. Eva knows that Father Peter is riding to his death. The King sends Jamie to find Father Peter, and bring him in. Instead of finding the Father, Jamie finds Eva.

This is a straight up historical romance. Even the narrative is stylized for a medieval setting. As much as I sometimes enjoy the flowery words, so...more
Angelc
This was one of those historicals that's best read by those who want a lot of intrigue, mystery, and action, with a little romance on the side. For me, I wanted to see more development of the relationship between the two leads instead of so much action and intrigue.

Jame was a bit rough and gruff for my liking. Alpha male fans are sure to love him as a hero. His treatment of Eva was a bit rough for me at times. His kidnapping and overpowering of Eva grew tiresome after awhile.

The mystery was all...more
Stevie
Solid 4.5 stars here. This was excellent. Kris Kennedy has a wonderful and unique writing style. She creates wonderful characters with intelligence and charm, and a well thought out storyline. A hero that is as rough and rugged as they come, but canny and sophisticated and absolutely to die for. A heroine that is intelligent, strong but feminine, capable and resourceful. She rescues as much as she gets rescued, and its done realistically. There is no way you cannot visualize every characteristic...more
Maya
Despite loathing nekkid manchest covers, picked this up on basis of good buzz and having just reviewed the relevant history fact nuggets of the time period for my boy's school assignments and wanting to hear about it in a more entertaining way. The author delivered.

Really enjoyed the writing style, the heroine's refusal to be intimidated or acquiesce to instructions delivered by patronizing and/or protective men if she didn't agree with them, her total disregard for all things fashionable, and e...more
Diana
While I am vastly entertained by Kennedy's artful prose and her character's dry wit amidst dire goings-on, I grew impatient with Jamie and Eva's lack of direction in their mutual quest. The reader (and every single secondary character) knows early on what Eva and Jamie must do, but their inexplicable stubborn refusal to Do The Right Thing results in the tale stalling out while they find creative excuses for not getting on with it. Still, Kennedy's writing is stellar and even though I was a tad a...more
Janga
Kris Kennedy has written another exceptional Medieval romance. Defiant has the same strengths that made Kennedy’s first two books stellar examples of the sub-genre: a richly storied, historically accurate background; compellingly developed characters, primary and secondary; great chemistry between the hero and heroine; and superb prose. While I found Defiant less emotionally engaging than The Irish Warrior, which is tied with Teresa Medeiros’s Charming the Prince (a very different book) as my fa...more
Melissa
I have to admit, it took me a bit to get into the story because of the language, but that quickly passed once I started to get to know Eva a bit better. She is a strong heroine who is fiercely protective of a boy put in her charge, Roger. He is a teen now and they are in search of their benefactor who helped save them. Lots of politics and intrigue and truths to be discovered. Not just with Eva, but with the rough roguish hero, Jamie as well.

I have to say that although I enjoyed the adventure an...more
Maria
I reviewed Defiant for Night Owl Reviews:

Defiant by Kris Kennedy is a spellbinding historical romance set against the backdrop of King John and the Magna Carta. With wonderful characters and sharp, engaging dialogue, Ms. Kennedy brings the 13th century alive with a tale full of adventure and romance. With shifting alliances and political scheming, what begins with a mystery becomes a story full of suspense and surprises. I found it to be a completely captivating story.

Jamie Lost is a wonderful...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Jamie and Eva are both on the hunt for Father Peter. The priest has been kidnapped by a man commissioned by rebels to relieve King Henry of the throne. Jamie is one of the king's men and is trying to get to the priest to bring him to Henry. Eva wants to rescue Father Peter, because he helped raise her and she believes she owes him her life.

Even though they want him for their own reasons, Jamie and Eva end up working together to find the priest. Jamie has a dark reputation as a powerful soldier,...more
Helena
This medieval novel set in 1215 just prior to the Magna Carta, is packed with the treacherous politics, divided loyalties, rogue knights, renegades and mercenaries driven by perilous secrets and redemption that keep us glued to each page. With a plot centering around a country seething in preparation for civil war and the lives of the four people who may have the ability to alter its course, Kennedy grabs our hands as we jump right in.
Kennedy has an incredible ability we revere in writers such...more
Erica Anderson
Defiant is going straight onto my keeper shelf. It's that good. I can't say enough wonderful things about it. The dialogue is fantastic, the characters are well-developed, and the pace just doesn't let up. I whipped through the book in a day, and know that I'll probably read it again in a couple of weeks. As far as I'm concerned, Kris Kennedy is medieval romance these days.

Okay, enough with the gushing accolades--the heroine is what makes the book. She reminds me very much of Annique, the heroi...more
Erin

Kris Kennedy is not only a new author for me but her book Defiant is set in a historical time frame in which I read very little (early 13th century) as my historical preference is Regency to Victorian. Usually when I read books set further back they are time travel or other type of paranormal romances. I received the book as part of the National Reader's Choice Awards.

The heroine of the story, Eva is a strong, feisty woman who has spent the last ten years of her life struggling to stay alive and...more
Jan Blooth
I usually just give a book stars, but... What a mess! It's been a long time since I've read a book that was so confusing. I had to keep rereading to try to figure out what was happening and who and what was where, what the heck the author was trying to say! I got the feeling she would sacrifice the story and the history in the name of a sexy line, which was annoying, and matters only got worse. It was filled with slow, ponderous language, unreadable garbage sentences that might have been failed...more
Leah
This is the first book I've read by Kris Kennedy and I just fell in love with her writing style. Jaimie and Eva are both hiding who they really are to the world and to each other. Their story is one filled with secrets and hidden agendas that will sweep you along on an adventure as they make life decisions neither ever expected to make. It's the year 1215 and the Magna Carta is being formed. King John is suspicious of all and he has sent Jaimie on a mission to find a priest whom he feels can thr...more
Bird
I liked it, although I found the plot a little convoluted. I don't know much about the time period, so all of the references to people, places, and things was pretty much lost on me. I don't think I fully understood the political conflict and who was on what side, but in my defense I was in the middle of moving out of state, so I was pretty tired when I read this before bed every night.

I agree with some other reviewers who said that the dialogue felt awkward and stilted at times. I eventually go...more
Anna
The King sends knight, Jamie Lost on a mission to kidnap a priest before their enemies do. But there is snag. Jamie is knocked off his feet in more ways that one by Eva who just so happens to get to the priest first.

The middle ages isn't my favorite setting to read, but I thought I'd give this one a try. In Defiant, Kris Kennedy takes you on a an exciting adventure. Sexy, charming and lets face it the cover is some yummy eye candy. Jamie and Eva's journey makes for a fun read. It could be just b...more
Kelly Bowen
A heroine who slays her own dragons. A smoking hot hero who can help her do it. Enough said.
Julie
Incredibly well written. Eva has turned out to be one of my favorite characters, her dry wit and humor and the quirky way she had of replying always left me with a faint smile and a laugh. I knew there was something important about Eva, but I never suspected a thing until the truth finally came out and its not very often that an author has done that for me. True the story was a bit long in the tooth and I skimmed areas that shifted to the villains but Eva's interactions with Jamie were priceless...more
Karyn Gerrard
QUICK TAKE~

Thoroughly enjoyable read with some surprising twists and turns I did not anticipate. Kris Kennedy always has a rousing adventure as the base of her narrative, but she does not forget the romance. Jamie Lost is a fine hero indeed and lives up to his name. He is adrift until he meets Eva and becomes involved in her intrigues. AS with any medieval, there is a lot of back stabbing and court doings, but in made for a very satisfying read. Recommended!!
Kanya
Loved it! Totally fell for Eva and Jamie's story. Their attraction is sizzeling and the action is fast paced.

Some readers didn't like the language, but it was not my case.

And the French is almost faultless (the only typo I saw is "Jésu" : we pronounce it "Jésu", but we write it "Jésus" - maybe it's the old French spelling? I'm not sure).

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves feisty heroines and medieval romance.
Abby
I love this book! (Saw an advance copy.) Not only are the hero & heroine strong-willed and smart, but they have great chemistry. And the writing here is incredibly rich...this is more than just a fun historical romance; there's a lot of substance to the voice. It's set in the time of King John, and features a man who's a spy for King John and a woman who's living by her wits to protect a dangerous secret. Really, really enjoyed it!
Erin Quinn
I cannot say enough good things about this book. I absolutely LOVED it. If you like historical fiction, this one had the perfect balance of interesting (exciting, intriguing) history and romance--OMG, the romance. I finished it and wanted to start it all over. Seriously, it's the kind of book that you want to stop strangers in the street and tell them about. Read it. It's fabulous.
Linda Smatzny
This is a historical romance set in medieval England. England is ruled by King John who is not liked. The main character is Eva who has lots of secrets. The main male character is Jamie Lost who has secrets and wants to discover Eva's secrets. They are both searching for Father Peter. Enjoyed the setting & time in history.
Splage
Started off way to slow, but I pushed through and it did get better. I did like the characters, but so much time was spent on the intrigue, double crossing, with so many characters that it was confusing. Not sure if this is the end of the series, but I don't think I will read anymore of the series.
Nicole Laverdure
I really love Ms. Kennedy's third novel. I love of her style of writing! Lots of action and intrigue between stron and sexy Jamie and smart and beautiful Eva. Ms. Kennedy really knows of to write steamy love scenes. Lots of historical details. If you love medieval romance stories, then I suggest "Defiant"
Annette
I don't know why, but I couldn't get into this book. I tried. I read it with determination but I couldn't get there. I ended up skipping huge chucks of pages, trying to catch bits here, trying to finish it. For whatever reason it just wasn't doing it for me. I'm moving onto my next book.
Janet
Woo-hoo! Book five of my 2012 batch is (finally) done, and a lackluster finale it was. Every time I thought the author was bringing things to a conclusion, another little wrinkle would pop up. I was exhauste by the time I finished this one. On the plus side, minimal sexual antics.
RIF
Medieval spies and intrigue normally not for me, but Kris Kennedy's writing is rich and witty and now I've got an author on my Read list that writes books I normally wouldn't. I kinda like that :)
Kayla
I have to say wow! I really liked this book. Wonderful cast of characters. Loved Eva and Jamie and here is hoping there might be a book in the future for Ben.
Mel Gulla
Her work just gets better every book she writes. Looking forward to her new release next Summer.
  • Devil's Own (Clan MacAlpin, #2)
  • Master of Surrender (Blood Sword Legacy, #1)
  • My Beloved
  • Lord of Seduction (The Risande Family, #3)
  • The Stone Maiden (Celtic Nights, #1)
  • A Secret in Her Kiss
  • Knight of Pleasure (All the King's Men #2)
  • Captured by Desire
  • Never Seduce A Scoundrel (Foxe Sisters Trilogy, #2)
  • The Warrior Laird (Highlander Brothers, #1)
  • My Lord and Spymaster (Spymasters, #3)
  • Tempted by a Warrior (Galloway Trilogy, #3)
  • A Midnight Dance (Fiery Tales, #3)
  • This Perfect Kiss
  • Temptation of a Highland Scoundrel (Highland Warriors, #2)
  • Warrior of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #2)
  • Kissing Comfort
  • Lady of Seduction (The Daughters of Erin, #3)
Kris writes sexy, adventure romance set in the middle ages.

Come by the website for excerpts, news, and to sign up for the newsletter. http://kriskennedy.net

I'm also on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/KrisKennedy

And Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KrisKennedyB...

I'm also a member of Rock*It Reads, a collection of NY-published authors who are also self-publishing, and have banded together with a...more
More about Kris Kennedy...
The Irish Warrior The Conqueror Deception Bezwinger meines Herzens: Roman (German Edition) Claiming Her