Start by marking “Defiant” as Want to Read:
Defiant

Defiant

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  156 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Publishers Weekly Starred Review

A knight bound to serve a foul king. A daring woman determined to oppose him. An explosive alliance that will rip open secrets and ignite a forbidden passion that may seal their fates—and the fate of the kingdom—forever. Award-winning author Kris Kennedy's sizzling new medieval romance.
Revised edition, 2016

A warrior with questionable intenti
Published May 25th 2016 by Kris Kennedy (first published April 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Defiant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defiant

The Bride by Julie GarwoodA Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaughtThe Secret by Julie GarwoodRansom by Julie GarwoodHonor's Splendour by Julie Garwood
Best Medieval Romance Novels
142nd out of 448 books — 793 voters
Devil in Winter by Lisa KleypasKiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsWhat I Did For a Duke by Julie Anne LongPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas
Desert Isle Keeper - Romance Genre
96th out of 165 books — 49 voters

More lists with this book...

Stevie
Solid 4.5 stars here. This was excellent. Kris Kennedy has a wonderful and unique writing style. She creates wonderful characters with intelligence and charm, and a well thought out storyline. A hero that is as rough and rugged as they come, but canny and sophisticated and absolutely to die for. A heroine that is intelligent, strong but feminine, capable and resourceful. She rescues as much as she gets rescued, and its done realistically. There is no way you cannot visualize every characteristic ...more
Isha Coleman
Kris Kennedy is very good at writing complicated characters. Her stories are like stepping through a field of land mines and red herrings. Hidden in plain sight are the clues to unlocking the mystery, you just have to figure out where to look. The thrill of solving the puzzle is the attraction of her brand of storytelling. As I get better acquainted with this author I find there is no way of knowing where she will lead you on the quest for the truth and I have always been a sucker for puzzles th ...more
Stephanie  G
Eva is forced back to England to chase after Father Peter, who was summoned by King John’s orders. With her comes the boy Roger who she has played mother to since they fled his home years ago. Eva knows that Father Peter is riding to his death. The King sends Jamie to find Father Peter, and bring him in. Instead of finding the Father, Jamie finds Eva.

This is a straight up historical romance. Even the narrative is stylized for a medieval setting. As much as I sometimes enjoy the flowery words, so
Angelc
May 02, 2011 Angelc rated it liked it
This was one of those historicals that's best read by those who want a lot of intrigue, mystery, and action, with a little romance on the side. For me, I wanted to see more development of the relationship between the two leads instead of so much action and intrigue.

Jame was a bit rough and gruff for my liking. Alpha male fans are sure to love him as a hero. His treatment of Eva was a bit rough for me at times. His kidnapping and overpowering of Eva grew tiresome after awhile.

The mystery was all
Maya
Jul 12, 2011 Maya rated it really liked it
Despite loathing nekkid manchest covers, picked this up on basis of good buzz and having just reviewed the relevant history fact nuggets of the time period for my boy's school assignments and wanting to hear about it in a more entertaining way. The author delivered.

Really enjoyed the writing style, the heroine's refusal to be intimidated or acquiesce to instructions delivered by patronizing and/or protective men if she didn't agree with them, her total disregard for all things fashionable, and e
Diana
May 22, 2011 Diana rated it liked it
While I am vastly entertained by Kennedy's artful prose and her character's dry wit amidst dire goings-on, I grew impatient with Jamie and Eva's lack of direction in their mutual quest. The reader (and every single secondary character) knows early on what Eva and Jamie must do, but their inexplicable stubborn refusal to Do The Right Thing results in the tale stalling out while they find creative excuses for not getting on with it. Still, Kennedy's writing is stellar and even though I was a tad a ...more
Janga
May 23, 2011 Janga rated it it was amazing
Kris Kennedy has written another exceptional Medieval romance. Defiant has the same strengths that made Kennedy’s first two books stellar examples of the sub-genre: a richly storied, historically accurate background; compellingly developed characters, primary and secondary; great chemistry between the hero and heroine; and superb prose. While I found Defiant less emotionally engaging than The Irish Warrior, which is tied with Teresa Medeiros’s Charming the Prince (a very different book) as my fa ...more
Maria Dariotis
May 24, 2016 Maria Dariotis rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC in exchange for my honest review.

This was such a great story, I loved Jaimie he's such a brooding broken man, I mean it's not everyday that you see your father murdered in front of you! He was an empty shell until he met Eva . Eva is the nurse ( with a secret) to young Roger, they fled England 10 years ago after the Kings men murdered Rogers father while they were hiding in a secret passage in the wall. On the run, always hiding they have had an accomplice in Father Peter , he
Yv
Feb 18, 2016 Yv rated it really liked it
I tend toward Victorian romance more than anything and my brief forays with medieval romance have generally left me with a bad taste in my mouth so I was pleasantly surprised with Defiant. Our heroine is plucky and confident despite her knowledge of her weaknesses. She's easy to like and root for and most of all, doesn't swoon and whine, which is something I've noticed as a trend in Medieival romantic heroines.

Our hero could easily fall into the douchy asshat category but doesn't, I think becaus
Melissa
Sep 13, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
I have to admit, it took me a bit to get into the story because of the language, but that quickly passed once I started to get to know Eva a bit better. She is a strong heroine who is fiercely protective of a boy put in her charge, Roger. He is a teen now and they are in search of their benefactor who helped save them. Lots of politics and intrigue and truths to be discovered. Not just with Eva, but with the rough roguish hero, Jamie as well.

I have to say that although I enjoyed the adventure an
Maria
Jun 08, 2011 Maria rated it it was amazing
I reviewed Defiant for Night Owl Reviews:

Defiant by Kris Kennedy is a spellbinding historical romance set against the backdrop of King John and the Magna Carta. With wonderful characters and sharp, engaging dialogue, Ms. Kennedy brings the 13th century alive with a tale full of adventure and romance. With shifting alliances and political scheming, what begins with a mystery becomes a story full of suspense and surprises. I found it to be a completely captivating story.

Jamie Lost is a wonderful
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Jamie and Eva are both on the hunt for Father Peter. The priest has been kidnapped by a man commissioned by rebels to relieve King Henry of the throne. Jamie is one of the king's men and is trying to get to the priest to bring him to Henry. Eva wants to rescue Father Peter, because he helped raise her and she believes she owes him her life.

Even though they want him for their own reasons, Jamie and Eva end up working together to find the priest. Jamie has a dark reputation as a powerful soldier,
Helena
May 09, 2011 Helena rated it it was amazing
This medieval novel set in 1215 just prior to the Magna Carta, is packed with the treacherous politics, divided loyalties, rogue knights, renegades and mercenaries driven by perilous secrets and redemption that keep us glued to each page. With a plot centering around a country seething in preparation for civil war and the lives of the four people who may have the ability to alter its course, Kennedy grabs our hands as we jump right in.
Kennedy has an incredible ability we revere in writers such
Erica Anderson
Jul 08, 2012 Erica Anderson rated it it was amazing
Defiant is going straight onto my keeper shelf. It's that good. I can't say enough wonderful things about it. The dialogue is fantastic, the characters are well-developed, and the pace just doesn't let up. I whipped through the book in a day, and know that I'll probably read it again in a couple of weeks. As far as I'm concerned, Kris Kennedy is medieval romance these days.

Okay, enough with the gushing accolades--the heroine is what makes the book. She reminds me very much of Annique, the heroi
Erin
Mar 22, 2012 Erin rated it it was ok

Kris Kennedy is not only a new author for me but her book Defiant is set in a historical time frame in which I read very little (early 13th century) as my historical preference is Regency to Victorian. Usually when I read books set further back they are time travel or other type of paranormal romances. I received the book as part of the National Reader's Choice Awards.

The heroine of the story, Eva is a strong, feisty woman who has spent the last ten years of her life struggling to stay alive and
Jan Blooth
Mar 01, 2012 Jan Blooth rated it did not like it
I usually just give a book stars, but... What a mess! It's been a long time since I've read a book that was so confusing. I had to keep rereading to try to figure out what was happening and who and what was where, what the heck the author was trying to say! I got the feeling she would sacrifice the story and the history in the name of a sexy line, which was annoying, and matters only got worse. It was filled with slow, ponderous language, unreadable garbage sentences that might have been failed ...more
Leah
Oct 06, 2012 Leah rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by Kris Kennedy and I just fell in love with her writing style. Jaimie and Eva are both hiding who they really are to the world and to each other. Their story is one filled with secrets and hidden agendas that will sweep you along on an adventure as they make life decisions neither ever expected to make. It's the year 1215 and the Magna Carta is being formed. King John is suspicious of all and he has sent Jaimie on a mission to find a priest whom he feels can thr ...more
Bird
Aug 23, 2012 Bird rated it liked it
I liked it, although I found the plot a little convoluted. I don't know much about the time period, so all of the references to people, places, and things was pretty much lost on me. I don't think I fully understood the political conflict and who was on what side, but in my defense I was in the middle of moving out of state, so I was pretty tired when I read this before bed every night.

I agree with some other reviewers who said that the dialogue felt awkward and stilted at times. I eventually go
Anna
Apr 18, 2011 Anna rated it liked it
The King sends knight, Jamie Lost on a mission to kidnap a priest before their enemies do. But there is snag. Jamie is knocked off his feet in more ways that one by Eva who just so happens to get to the priest first.

The middle ages isn't my favorite setting to read, but I thought I'd give this one a try. In Defiant, Kris Kennedy takes you on a an exciting adventure. Sexy, charming and lets face it the cover is some yummy eye candy. Jamie and Eva's journey makes for a fun read. It could be just b
Kelly Bowen
Jun 24, 2014 Kelly Bowen rated it it was amazing
A heroine who slays her own dragons. A smoking hot hero who can help her do it. Enough said.
Julie
Nov 21, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it
Incredibly well written. Eva has turned out to be one of my favorite characters, her dry wit and humor and the quirky way she had of replying always left me with a faint smile and a laugh. I knew there was something important about Eva, but I never suspected a thing until the truth finally came out and its not very often that an author has done that for me. True the story was a bit long in the tooth and I skimmed areas that shifted to the villains but Eva's interactions with Jamie were priceless ...more
Heidi
Nov 16, 2014 Heidi rated it really liked it
Great book, exciting, kept your attention.
Karyn Gerrard
Sep 26, 2011 Karyn Gerrard rated it really liked it
QUICK TAKE~

Thoroughly enjoyable read with some surprising twists and turns I did not anticipate. Kris Kennedy always has a rousing adventure as the base of her narrative, but she does not forget the romance. Jamie Lost is a fine hero indeed and lives up to his name. He is adrift until he meets Eva and becomes involved in her intrigues. AS with any medieval, there is a lot of back stabbing and court doings, but in made for a very satisfying read. Recommended!!
Kanya
Feb 22, 2013 Kanya rated it really liked it
Loved it! Totally fell for Eva and Jamie's story. Their attraction is sizzeling and the action is fast paced.

Some readers didn't like the language, but it was not my case.

And the French is almost faultless (the only typo I saw is "Jésu" : we pronounce it "Jésu", but we write it "Jésus" - maybe it's the old French spelling? I'm not sure).

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves feisty heroines and medieval romance.
Abby
Mar 31, 2011 Abby rated it it was amazing
I love this book! (Saw an advance copy.) Not only are the hero & heroine strong-willed and smart, but they have great chemistry. And the writing here is incredibly rich...this is more than just a fun historical romance; there's a lot of substance to the voice. It's set in the time of King John, and features a man who's a spy for King John and a woman who's living by her wits to protect a dangerous secret. Really, really enjoyed it!
Erin Quinn
Nov 20, 2011 Erin Quinn rated it it was amazing
I cannot say enough good things about this book. I absolutely LOVED it. If you like historical fiction, this one had the perfect balance of interesting (exciting, intriguing) history and romance--OMG, the romance. I finished it and wanted to start it all over. Seriously, it's the kind of book that you want to stop strangers in the street and tell them about. Read it. It's fabulous.
Linda Smatzny
Oct 26, 2013 Linda Smatzny rated it liked it
This is a historical romance set in medieval England. England is ruled by King John who is not liked. The main character is Eva who has lots of secrets. The main male character is Jamie Lost who has secrets and wants to discover Eva's secrets. They are both searching for Father Peter. Enjoyed the setting & time in history.
Splage
Started off way to slow, but I pushed through and it did get better. I did like the characters, but so much time was spent on the intrigue, double crossing, with so many characters that it was confusing. Not sure if this is the end of the series, but I don't think I will read anymore of the series.
Nicole Laverdure
Mar 12, 2016 Nicole Laverdure rated it it was amazing
I really love Ms. Kennedy's third novel. I love of her style of writing! Lots of action and intrigue between strong and sexy Jamie and smart and beautiful Eva. Ms. Kennedy really knows of to write steamy love scenes. Lots of historical details. If you love medieval romance stories, then I suggest "Defiant"
Annette
Jan 10, 2012 Annette rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, medieval
I don't know why, but I couldn't get into this book. I tried. I read it with determination but I couldn't get there. I ended up skipping huge chucks of pages, trying to catch bits here, trying to finish it. For whatever reason it just wasn't doing it for me. I'm moving onto my next book.
  • Saxon Bride
  • Devil's Own (Clan MacAlpin, #2)
  • My Beloved
  • The Last Knight
  • Master of Surrender (Blood Sword Legacy, #1)
  • The Maiden and the Unicorn
  • The Stone Maiden (Celtic Nights, #1)
  • The Last Arrow (Robin Hood, #3)
  • Lady of Valor (Warrior, #3)
  • The Wedding Night
  • Lord of Seduction (The Risande Family, #3)
  • A Knight of Honor
  • A Winter Ballad
  • The Vow
  • The Darkest Knight
  • Bond of Blood
  • A Secret in Her Kiss
  • Midsummer Moon
Kris writes sexy, adventure romance set in the middle ages. My newest collection is RENEGADES & OUTLAWS. The heroes are hard, the heroines smart, and the passion burns.

Sign up for the Book Alert newsletter for the latest news and special deals: http://eepurl.com/krTUb

Stop by the website for excerpts: http://kriskennedy.net

I'm also on Twitter: @KrisKennedy

And Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
More about Kris Kennedy...