Start by marking “The Secret Power of Music: The Transformation of Self and Society through Musical Energy” as Want to Read:

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  45 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
This study of the hidden side of music and its subtle effects is one of the most detailed books ever written on the subject.
Published April 1st 1984 by Destiny Books (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Power of Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Power of Music

Iso Cambia
Aug 25, 2012 Iso Cambia rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NOBODY
Horrible, terrible, very bad book.

I am a music therapist, and I have lived and studied Chinese culture and music - IN China. That section of the book wasn't too bad.

Chapter two is when he really starts to go off the deep end. He makes definitive statements about music history that simply aren't true, and the contempt he has for 20th century music comes through loud and clear. I'm not sure why he dedicated a chapter to something he clearly thinks so little of. He claims that the spirituality of 2
Andrew Ralton
Aug 18, 2013 Andrew Ralton rated it did not like it
I read this quite a few years ago, and I remember thinking that some of the theories were pretty 'out there' and definitely biased against modern music, particularly pop and music of African origin. It's an extremely peculiar and strictured view, and one that is not really substantiated in the text, other than what the author says. I found some interesting pieces of information - the word 'jazz' is derived from an African word for sex apparently, although I have no other corroboration for this s ...more
Barry
Sep 17, 2014 Barry rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction-misc
Mr Tame does his research and gives a history lesson on the views of music from the ancients from Asian and European perspectives. He discusses how music effects listeners and the society at large and delves into the implications that changes in music preferences lead to.

The historical and cultural chapters of this book are very much worth reading, while the others are filled with New Age/mysticism pseudo-science that damages the credibility of the book as a whole. Mr Tame attempts to write a co
Abram
Jan 13, 2012 Abram rated it liked it
Music is such a huge part of our lives that most of take for granted the effect it poses upon our being. I liked the subject matter and approach of the topic, really it is nothing I have ever contemplated in any depth before now, but Mr. Tame gave a great angle to the presentation of the book.
It covers many facets and history of different cultural aspects of music. If you are at all interested in music, environmental effect upon the human state or this facet of the history of the societies of th
Joanne (D.)
Sep 19, 2012 Joanne (D.) rated it it was amazing
Awesome! In the first few chapters, you can really see his bias towards different types of music and this (to me) accounts for some misrepresentation of the effects of certain genres on ones morals but it's still very interesting. The amazing part of the book starts at the chapter on The Physics of Om; absolutely fascinating and thought-provoking. I adore this book!
Eagleyemex Flynn
Sep 20, 2012 Eagleyemex Flynn rated it it was amazing
An absolutely wonderful book on mucic and society. One chapter "The physics of the OM" is a scientific look at vibration (meaning ALL of creation) that helps the reader see the unity in creation. Written in layman's language it reveals much.
Jade Grzesik
Jade Grzesik marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Pedro Laia
Pedro Laia rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
Hannah Gravett
Hannah Gravett rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
Yashu
Yashu marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Billy
Billy marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Deepti
Deepti marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Zaira Russell
Zaira Russell marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
adrenalexpire
adrenalexpire marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
Linda Šrēdere
Linda Šrēdere rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2015
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Zuzka
Zuzka marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Andre Felipe
Andre Felipe rated it did not like it
Oct 18, 2015
Nku Joseph
Nku Joseph marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Ben
Ben rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2015
Collin
Collin rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2015
Brooke H. Scherlie
Brooke H. Scherlie marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Brandon Gray
Brandon Gray marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Anthony Abugattas
Anthony Abugattas marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Ronnie Philpot
Ronnie Philpot marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Beya Azaiez
Beya Azaiez marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Christian Becerra montoya
Christian Becerra montoya is currently reading it
Jun 11, 2015