Start by marking “Music, the Brain, and Ecstasy: How Music Captures Our Imagination” as Want to Read:
Music, the Brain, and Ecstasy: How Music Captures Our Imagination

Music, the Brain, and Ecstasy: How Music Captures Our Imagination

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1,502 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
The writing is well-constructed; the author uses everyday language to describe complex and scientific information. His use of the Pink Panther theme as an example for the various topics is a helpful one.
Published December 31st 1997 by William Morrow & Co (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Music, the Brain, and Ecstasy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Music, the Brain, and Ecstasy

Jill
May 24, 2013 Jill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pop-science
I have a dream. I don't think it's an unrealistic dream. In fact, it's one that seems to have been realized multiple times -- except this dream is a damn tease, and it's all lies, and leaves me bereft every time I think it's come true.

My dream is simple: I am cheerfully reading a non-fiction book about the emotional/psychological effect of music.

I keep looking -- and in looking, I have read about the following topics a million FREAKING times, so no: I don't care about layperson sonic physics. I
Kyle
Dec 10, 2012 Kyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: music lovers, linguists, people interested in neuroscience
Shelves: non-fiction
This one of the best books of this topic I have ever read. It is exponentially more informative that This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession and much more accessible than Music, Language, and the Brain, making it the perfect entry book for someone who is interested in the science of music.

Robert Jourdain (NOT Robert Jordan), provides an intelligent examination of what music does to our brains, how our brains process and organize music, and why musical prodigies, like Mozar
Caroline
Apr 20, 2008 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 40-books-in-2008
okay, so it took me a while to read this book, but i finally finished it, hooray! two reasons: 1. it was a self-task of mine to read this book, even though i knew most of the information presented there. 2. i went on 2 tours with 2 different bands over the 3-week period.

now that i've got those excuses out of the way, on to the good stuff. so i think this book is wonderful for those who want a general, nontechnical approach to music cognition (including psychoacoustics and neuromusicology). great
Sam
May 27, 2009 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
A better "This is your Brain on Music." Jourdain speaks to the musician throughout, while shaking hands with neurological evidence and kissing interesting historical factoids. Similar to an arriving cadence he drives the reader forward, always dangling the carrot of more clarity just out of reach. But as he so eloquently put it, "Reaching an unsatisfying cadence after much anticipation is a sign of an elementary composer." Well, Jourdain, the same can be said for the final chapter of your book, ...more
James
Masterful! The author systematically analyzes the structure of Western music, starting with the most basic elements and building to higher-level arrangements, then examines the human brain and the way sound, especially music, is experienced in the various parts of the brain. Finally, he examines the nature of pleasure and pain and proposes some intriguing ideas as to why good music can have such an intense and direct emotional impact on listeners.
This book offers plausible answers for some quest
Matthew Hodge
Jan 04, 2013 Matthew Hodge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, I should clear up that the "ecstasy" in the title refers to the pleasure listeners derive from music - this is not a book about the rave scene.

Jourdain explains how the ear and then the brain processes music and why it is we like and understand some types of music but don't get others.

Unfortunately, he's somewhat of a classical music snob so all his illustrations are in terms of classical music, which would probably be quite off-putting if that wasn't your type of music.

However, for m
Dec 29, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, science
This was a fascinating overview for the layperson of how our brains and bodies process music, in listening to, performing, and composing it. Jourdain presents the physics and neurology involved in music processing (as well as the evolution behind some of it) in easily understood terms. Much of the brain is not well understood, and he made sure to make that clear as well, often presenting multiple theories and the arguments for and against each one. Along the way he provides an overview of the hi ...more
Alissa Mccarthy
Jan 01, 2014 Alissa Mccarthy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gregg, a friend at the bagel store I frequent, gave this book to me knowing my love of music and I am very grateful he did. This book intertwines discoveries from science, psychology, music theory, paleontology, and philosophy to examine why music speaks to us in ways that words cannot, and why we form such powerful connections to it. In clear, understandable language, Jourdian guides the reader through a continuum of musical experience: sound, tone, melody, harmony, rhythm, composition, perform ...more
Dameun Strange
Feb 24, 2013 Dameun Strange rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a comprehensive study of all this music, from acoustics to the physiological effects of listening, to the psychology of composers and musicians. This book changed my musical life. I only wish I had read it before I went to college.
Alex
Dec 15, 2008 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent primer on music psychology for the layman. Has absolutely nothing to do with the drug ecstacy; would recommend a title alteration.
Klerik
Jan 29, 2013 Klerik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By and large, I had fun reading this book. The blend of neuroscience, psychology and musicology(?) works very well indeed. Together with Jourdain's fluid prose, it makes for an inspirational and educational read.

It is, however, not entirely without issues. Though Jourdain explains all the necessary music terminology needed to follow along, I still sometimes felt like I was missing something which would have been clear to a more musically inclined mind. Also, he sometimes spends a lot of time to
Soohyun
Jul 06, 2016 Soohyun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was true and true pleasure while I was reading this book. I just started reading this for the topic research. It was't serious. But in the end this book becomes something so important and huge to me. I don't know what future awaits me. I don't know how my life leads and directs me. I don't know whether my life would disturb me to the way I want to go or not. I don't know anything. But I know now something for sure right now. This books have me realize myself more. This book gives me an idea, ...more
Christina
Apr 15, 2012 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, music
This book was absolutely fascinating! I was captivated throughout the entire book. Excellently written with higher-level vocabulary and was entertaining and not too nitty gritty when it came to explaining the science behind music, but still very in-depth. The examples and figurative language used helped me understand the meanings of some of the scientific terms, and made everything crystal clear. I highly recommend this book, even to those who are not musicians or composers or not interested in ...more
Juan
Nov 08, 2010 Juan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Muy interesante estudio sobre la ciencia detrás de la música. El autor comienza describiendo la música como un fenómeno físico (ondas de sonido) y va subiendo el nivel de abstracción en cada capítulo, mis favoritos fueron los últimos, cuando habla sobre la composición y como escuchamos y entendemos la música.
Dominic Sarnacki
May 05, 2015 Dominic Sarnacki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Music, the Brain, and Ecstasy is possibly the most interesting book that I have read on such an uncommon topic. As a young musician, I find that the book has changed the very way I look at the music I make and has helped me to develop a better overall idea of musicianship and just how great and important music really is. Originally, I picked up the book for a school project, but I found myself enjoying the informative teachings of the author and the down to Earth language he uses.
Robert Jourdain
Alexandra
May 21, 2015 Alexandra rated it liked it
Would I recommend it? Yes. But significant caveats to follow.
When I started reading this book (I started in the section explaining the physics behind music) I thought it was excellent.
But then I realized I was essentially reading two different books. All the parts explaining music are incredibly well-researched and helpful (they're a bit clumsily phrased at times, but if you're willing to push on through Jourdain's tortuous wording, it's worth it and you'll learn a lot). I came away with a bette
L.A.
Jan 08, 2017 L.A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of humanity's greatest mysteries, under the microscope.

That sounds counter-intuitive. Surely knowing how the sausage is made kills the mystery? Jourdain manages to break down the biology and psychology of how music works without ruining the listening experience in the process. In fact, once you see all the underpinnings, you're likely to have a far greater appreciation for sound.

Beginning with the structures in the ear and brain that had to evolve before we could perceive anything, then on t
Rand Harker
I'm waffling between three and four stars here. The book purports to explain just why it is that the brain permits us to experience music the way we do. However though there is a lot of interesting material related to music history and structure, the promised illumination regarding the function of the brain related to the topic never quite materializes. The chapter on performance goes into great detail on how the brain controls the physiology of, saying, pressing the piano keys with the fingers, ...more
Megan
Mar 10, 2015 Megan rated it it was ok
It's an interesting book but though it purports to be simplifieds so anyone can understand how sound and hearing works (which is as far as I got) it continuously makes asides and references to classical music pieces and composers that only someone very familiar with the genre would understand, rendering many of the examples useless. This came across as oblivious; not everyone is familiar with or has had exposure to classical music or orchestral instruments and to assume so is to make assumptions ...more
Jamie Banks
Dec 13, 2010 Jamie Banks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Learned lots about music; also intensely annoyed by his over-dramatic style, and unnecessarily florid metaphors for basic physics and music concepts. Really basic--for example, that things vibrate is described using a line of drunk people hassling each other at different rates. Excellent bibliography in the back that will keep you occupied, and is necessary to get any grip on the science involved. Worse and more speculative as it goes up in levels of organization from "low-level" perception to e ...more
Chris Leuchtenburg
Dec 20, 2013 Chris Leuchtenburg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, nonfiction
I am giving this four stars despite the fact that I didn't finish it. Popular science books often err by providing too little technical information to be substantial; this one doesn't have that flaw. However, that made it a bit challenging for a bedtime read. Actually, I would like to own the book as a reference. I particularly liked his ruminations at the end about the nature of pleasure and its relationship to anticipation and fulfillment or surprise.
Youngmasterreed
Incredible book, essential reading for any musician. Opens up whole new ways of thinking about songwriting by describing exactly how the brain processes and interprets sounds and music. Just the right combination of science and analogy. Very cleverly structured too - each chapter builds upon the last to go from the basic physics of sound, to how our ears and brain work together, to why music causes pleasure and other emotions. Will be going to this for inspiration for years to come.
Jewel
Feb 15, 2012 Jewel rated it it was amazing
[mid read]

this book is gorgeous. as someone who was previously heavily involved in music, dance and the performance of both, this book is a buffet of mind-candy. I am loving this one so much, I've already marked up the pages with notes, highlights and little tabs despite being about half way through. truly, truly, truly enjoyable even if a dog ate the cover of my copy.
Dave Peticolas

This was a gift from my friends Amy & Keith Wiley, and it turned out to be a wonderful present. Using evolutionary theory, physics, biology, neurology, psychology, and philosophy, Jourdain explores our ability to appreciate and create music. The writing is clean and quickly-paced and each chapter contains several "I didn't know that!" moments. Highly recommended.

Kari
Aug 10, 2010 Kari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sidenote I'm reminded of as I read this: I do wish the things I find out about famous figures wasn't as much of a let-down as is typical, but more, I wish that everyone who writes and talks about them wouldn't make it worse. We should do our best to talk up the good things instead of the idiosyncrasies
Ellen
Aug 26, 2015 Ellen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This book got a poor review on Amazon. That reviewer suggested a better book to read on this topic. This book has fascinating information, though. Probably much of it is true. I'd like to read both books. I'll have to check Amazon again to find out the title of the other book.
Karyn
Nov 26, 2007 Karyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Music people.
This book was weird. It was way too frilly for a science book. I'm all for imagery, but this was too syrupy or something. The cool facts about music and listening to music were buried under two or three pages of needless contextual fluff.
Patrick Tai
Sep 15, 2015 Patrick Tai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has sections covering music from the most basic (sound) to the complex (composition, understanding, ecstasy). It has a lot of information on the brain which are non-technical and very interesting. I highly recommend it.
Timothy
Sep 12, 2007 Timothy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with brains
I wouldn't put this in the 'easy reads' pile, but the wealth of information in this book is astounding. My wife called the writing "scientific-y" which is accurate. You will learn the physics of sound, what the your brain and ears do with it and the profound difference between noise and music.
Daniel
Sep 09, 2010 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. A very enjoyable study of the interaction of music and the brain at many different levels, and yet it never gets bogged down in the science. Lively, fascinating, and well worth the time.
  • Music, Language, and the Brain
  • Sweet Anticipation: Music and the Psychology of Expectation
  • The Art of Practicing: A Guide to Making Music from the Heart
  • The Joy of Music
  • The Inner Game of Music
  • How Music Works: The Science and Psychology of Beautiful Sounds, from Beethoven to the Beatles and Beyond
  • Emotion and Meaning in Music