Start by marking “Vices of My Blood (Detective Murdoch, #6)” as Want to Read:
Vices of My Blood (Detective Murdoch, #6)

Vices of My Blood (Detective Murdoch #6)

The compelling new novel by Canada’s answer to Anne Perry.

In his forties, the Reverend Charles Howard still cut an impressive figure. A married Presbyterian minister in Toronto’s east end, Howard was popular with the congregation that elected him, especially with the ladies, and most particularly with Miss Sarah Dignam. Respected in the community, Howard, as Visitor for th
Published April 4th 2006 by McClelland & Stewart

To ask other readers questions about Vices of My Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vices of My Blood

The Awakening by Kate ChopinTraveling With Pomegranates by Sue Monk KiddA Good Man by Guy VanderhaegheThe Outlander by Gil AdamsonOn Beauty by Zadie Smith
My 52 Book Challenge 2016
47th out of 71 books — 2 voters
How the Light Gets In by Louise PennyLeaving Everything Most Loved by Jacqueline WinspearSpeaking from Among the Bones by Alan BradleyDeath of Yesterday by M.C. BeatonNever Laugh As a Hearse Goes By by Elizabeth J. Duncan
most anticipated mysteries 2013
138th out of 149 books — 572 voters

More lists with this book...

Jillian
Nov 12, 2016 Jillian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came to this having followed some of the television series. This is the first of the books I have read, and, from other reviews, it seems I came it at a good point in the series. Here the author tells a good story.

Although the television series seems to have chosen different love interests to at least the first 6 books in the series, there is consistency of character, themes and setting. I enjoy the creation of Victorian Toronto. As a setting unfamiliar to me it provides a new lens on the issu
Sharon
Nov 20, 2016 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge fan of The Murdoch Mysteries (aired in the US as The Artful Detective) and have been reading the books over the past year. Sadly, I only have one left!

This time, a clergyman's murder sends Murdoch investigating not only his congregation but also the people of the poor house (also known as the House of Industry) where he was a volunteer. Twists and turns, with several interrelated subplots, ensue as Murdoch tries to figure out who would want to kill a man who seems (from Murdoch's poi
Klara B.
Oct 02, 2016 Klara B. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poslední díl série. Zpočátku jsem se do děje vůbec nemohla začíst, ale po několika desítkách stran se to už rozjelo. Nicméně musím přiznat, že víc než hlavní zápletka mě zaujal popis chudobinců a ubytoven, kterým bylo věnováno poměrně hodně stran. Přišlo mi, že vyřešení zločinu přišlo zničeho nic.
Knížka se mi ale líbila. Líbí se mi styl, jakým Maureen Jennings vypráví své příběhy. Škoda jen, že knížek s detektivem Murdochem není víc.
Kathleen Hagen
Vices of my Blood, by Maureen Jennings, a-minus, Narrated by David Narantz, Produced by Audible inc., downloaded from audible.com.

In the sixth book of the series, Detective Murdoch is called to a church where there is the body of the dead minister in his office with a letter opener sticking out of his neck. The police are summoned by one of the church ladies who have come to get ready for a prayer meeting. She is extremely upset and the rumor is that she has thrown herself at the minister despit
Chelsea
Jan 23, 2016 Chelsea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars, 2015

Jennings definitely upped the quality as the series progressed! Murdoch himself is becoming more interesting, and I care a lot about more of the side characters. The twists were all fairly obvious to me so watching Murdoch not figure out whodunnit early on was kind of torturous, but all in all I enjoyed it. Not the strongest imo, but good nonetheless.

Not to say that I didn't have my issues with it. As usual, Jennings leaves very little room for wrapping up loose ends, which irritates m
Kb
I was introduced to the Murdoch Mysteries television series before I became aware of the books on which the show is based. This is my second favourite of the Murdoch books (after 'Night's Child'). I really like the character of schoolteacher and "rational dress" advocate Amy as Murdoch's love interest. Dr. Julia Ogden is only a peripheral character in the book.

In this story, a beloved (by most) pastor is found brutally murdered, and Murdoch must find out who killed him and why. Did the man surp
Diana
Jan 18, 2012 Diana rated it really liked it
The book takes place in Toronto during the 1890’s. Rev. Howard, a well liked minister, is found murdered in his church office. Detective Murdoch’s investigation takes him to the poorer part of the city where he experiences what it is like to be destitute and have to rely on a workhouse for food and shelter. Other characters in the story who are poor, display more imagination and are able to survive using their wits. Aside from the solution to the murder, the reader is given an idea of what life ...more
Kay
Jun 22, 2016 Kay rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries, o-canada
Toronto in the1890s is a new milieu to me, especially since much of this episode takes place among the poorest of the poor. The detective , a police officer, actually spends a night in the poor house in order to track down a killer. Detective Murdoch is surprisingly openminded, which allows him to see things that escape his more conventional superiors. It's strange to watch a crime solved without fingerprints and DNA evidence, but the characters are very lively--especially the destitute denizens ...more
Emma
Oct 18, 2015 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is by far my favourite Murdoch book as it runs a lot more smoothly than the others and it doesn't confuse me with all the characters involved in the story. Maureen Jennings does another fantastic job on delving into different aspects of Victorian Toronto and showing us that life back then was just as varied. The ending is a nice contrast to the horrors we experience in the book and whilst I had an inkling that something like that was going to happen, it wasn't spoilt. All in all one of the ...more
Randy
Aug 24, 2016 Randy rated it it was amazing
After a well-loved minister is brutally murdered, Murdoch must deal with an assortment of suspects that include tramps and "queer plungers," grifters who stage accidents to get people to contribute money for treating the poor victim.

I am always amazed at how much Ms. Jennings includes in her stories about Toronto in the 1890s and how the words used might well have been part of that time's conversations. And like many of her Murdoch Mystery books, the plot is well conceived. If you haven't read a
Sue
Jul 16, 2014 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
as I state with all the books in this series characters are totally different from TV series and at end of this book Murdoch proposes to a character that hadn't appeared in TV series. however books still show the living conditions etc of tCanada at this time very well , especially in this book where Murdoch ends up pretending to be homeless for a night to help solve the clue of the murder victims missing boots. rather obvious early in book to me who murderer was and why but overall very ...more
Kate
Jul 03, 2016 Kate rated it liked it
Murdoch investigates a convoluted case involving the murder of a minister, and along the way gives a detailed travelogue through various ways of being poor in turn of the century Toronto. The interpersonal relationships are shallower than usual and Murdoch is a bit muddlier - more of the forensic bits that are so cool in the tv show appear but mostly this is the book Murdoch. Julia Ogden has a more prominent role but she's not the tv Julia for sure.
Melissa
Jul 04, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
First Murdoch book I've read since watching almost all the episodes of the TV series. It's fun to see the differences including much more references to sex, language and that George Crabtree is a big guy in the books. Did think the part in what we would call a homeless shelter today dragged on longer than necessary but it was interesting to see what it was really like in one back then. Story is about a murdered pastor and the suspitions fall on the poor.
Cindy
Jul 17, 2015 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Love the Murdoch Mysteries! In this one Murdoch has to solve the murder of a popular Reverend in a big church. He has to go undercover in the workhouse to look for clues. He does have help from several different tramps and plungers of the time. In the end he finds his man, who blamed everything on the Devil and the "vices" of his blood, which involves all the different temptations that the world has to offer. I guess his "devil made me do it" excuse did not help him at the end!
Carole Moran
Dec 21, 2012 Carole Moran rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This Murdoch mystery had a much simpler plot than others in the series that I have read. It was also much easier to read, without the going back and forth from time to time or from character to character. It was very straight forward with a predictable plot, but well done and well researched. The lives of people reduced to poverty in the late Victorian era are powerfully described in this novel, as in all of Maureen Jennings' Murdoch series.
CJ
Sep 19, 2014 CJ rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book much more than the last one I read. The characters are more real and the plot thicker. It's still very different from the tv series as far as the main characters' relationships go, but the non-viewer will find the interactions here quite satisfying. Those who have not read previous books may want to go back to discover the importance of people mentioned but not appearing in this story.
Joy
Mar 19, 2016 Joy rated it liked it
Murdoch Mysteries/ Detective Murdoch #6 Watched them on Canadian TV a 'spoof' series loosely based on Jennings characters. The TV series is available thru ACORN our libraries carry the DVDs.
A friend shared her enjoyment of the TV series, I looked for the author and found all the titles. The books are somewhat like Anne Perry
James
Apr 10, 2013 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Maureen Jennings continues to provide a good story with lots of thought given to the solving of the crime. Detective Murdoch again proves himself to be through in his investigation and not to quick to come to a decision as to the guilty party. A great read, good characterisation and a good sense of the time and city which provides the setting for the stories.
Mary G.
Apr 04, 2011 Mary G. rated it really liked it
It has been a number of years since I read a book by Maureen Jennings and this one did not disappoint. The characters were great and setting very interesting. The plot was well thought out. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Tina
Feb 16, 2012 Tina rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Fascinating - I found the depiction of religion and poverty in Toronto in the 1890's completely absorbing. What keeps me from giving it five stars is the lack of character depth - along the lines of Louise Penny or Elizabeth George - but nonetheless suitably entertaining.
Ataylor
A fantastic book- well written and descriptive (although I seem to have missed the first 5 of the series which may have better connected me to the characters, although new ones were introduced that I could connect to).
Riversue
Jun 18, 2013 Riversue rated it really liked it
Loved it. Another great Detective Murdock mystery for those who like their mysteries Victorian and Canadian.
Eden Bowditch
Feb 27, 2013 Eden Bowditch rated it really liked it
Really fun historic fiction. The characters come through as real people and the feel of the era is great.
Patti
This is the book I have most connected with in this series so far. It seemed more focused, and the plot and case moved forward in a sensible way.

Recommended
Helena
Mar 26, 2013 Helena rated it really liked it
Great mystery book! Liked it as much as the TV series - will probably read more. Helped I was taking a course downtown TO right in the area where the book takes place, so was kind of fun.
Doug
Apr 15, 2012 Doug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maureen Jennings just continues to throw out surprises with each Murdoch Mystery. They are different from the TV series with characters who are not in the TV series.
Joel
Aug 24, 2015 Joel rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Not up to standards of the previous books in this series. The wedding proposal (and acceptance) in the last chapter came out of nowhere. The solution to the crime was contrived as well.
Kirsten
Jan 28, 2010 Kirsten rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
This installment didn't grab me as much as the others. I solved the "mystery" in the first third of the book so there wasn't much suspense.
Edward Fenner
I have not read much in the mystery genre but this is quite good. Engaging. Neat to read about Victorian Toronto. Flavour is different from the TV series but that's okay.
Elaine
Elaine rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2012
  • Until the Night (John Cardinal and Lise Delorme Mystery, #6)
  • Do or Die (Inspector Green Mystery, #1)
  • The Secrets of Gaslight Lane (The Gower Street Detective, #4)
  • Cabbagetown
  • The Naturalist
  • Leaving Earth
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Army of Dr. Moreau
  • The Incident Report
  • The Sky's Dark Labyrinth (The Sky's Dark Labyrinth, #1)
  • A Woman of Consequence (A Dido Kent Mystery, #3)
  • Cup of Blood (Crispin Guest #7)
  • Perseids and Other Stories
  • Young Renny (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #4)
  • The Phoenix Requiem Volume Three
  • A Colder Kind of Death (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #4)
  • Cold Cruel Winter
  • Raymond and Hannah
Maureen Jennings, now a Canadian Citizen, was born on Eastfield Road in Birmingham, England and spent her formative years there until she emigrated to Canada at the age of seventeen with her mother.

This has meant that she still feels a deep connection with her homeland. It has also no doubt been a strong influence in her love for, and her writing about, the Victorian period. She attended the Unive
More about Maureen Jennings...

Detective Murdoch (7 books)
  • Except the Dying (Detective Murdoch, #1)
  • Under the Dragon's Tail (Detective Murdoch, #2)
  • Poor Tom Is Cold (Detective Murdoch, #3)
  • Let Loose the Dogs (Detective Murdoch, #4)
  • Night's Child (Detective Murdoch, #5)
  • A Journeyman to Grief (Detective Murdoch, #7)