Start by marking “Entwined (The Ten, #1)” as Want to Read:
Entwined (The Ten, #1)

Entwined (The Ten #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  365 ratings  ·  31 reviews
After returning from war all but totally blind by a would-be assassin's hand, Nathan Oriel spends his days in bitterness and isolation. Until Isobel MacLeod--caught in his steely embrace one fateful night--shatters his world with her Scottish temper, her pride, and her courage.

Isobel, by her own admission a woman of too much brain and too little beauty, is a spinster devot
Published September 28th 1997 by Ivy Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Entwined, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Entwined

Yours Until Dawn by Teresa MedeirosDark Lover by J.R. WardScarred Horizon by Jackie WilliamsDance with the Devil by Sherrilyn KenyonEntwined by Emma Jensen
Blind Heroes/Heroines In Romance
5th out of 156 books — 135 voters
Beauty by Robin McKinleyLord of Scoundrels by Loretta ChaseBeastly by Alex FlinnLover Awakened by J.R. WardWhen Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James
Beauty and the Beast
101st out of 413 books — 950 voters

More lists with this book...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Sep 15, 2009 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Readers who enjoy the marriage of convenience, less than perfect, and beauty is in the eye themes
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) by: AAR Special Title Listing
This is a beautiful and very underrated romance novel. I fell in love with the story from the first page. This was my first read by Emma Jensen, who doesn't write anymore. I could not be more saddened by that fact. A great talent has been lost to the literary world.

Entwined is the story of the relationship between Isobel, who is a tall, ungainly spinster with carrot red hair, and an unfashionably curvaceous body, and Nathan, Duke of Oriel, who was badly injured in the midst of his spy work for t
Mary B.
From beginning to end, this book just completely captivated me.

A brief summary (which I'm not very good at, generally, so bear with me):
Nathan Paget, Marquess of Oriel, is a member of an elite, clandestine team of spies known only as "The Ten." He is prepared to leave the Peninsula and return to England (and his fiance) when he and his best friend are attacked.
The attack costs Nathan his sight (although he somehow manages to keep this fact a secret from everyone) and causes some damage to his
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
Aug 04, 2010 Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Historical Romance fans
3.75 Stars

When Isobel MacLeod breaks into Lord Oriel's house, it is to put back the money her good natured, but drunken, useless father stole from him. However, Nathan, Lord Oriel catches her, and offers an unusual proposal.

This was a really lovely romance between the fiery haired, practical Isobel, who believes herself to be plain and unappealing and Nathan, who has come back from war with many scars and a disability that he keeps secret. They were both such likable characters and I enjoyed wat
Kari

Beautiful story and excellent writing. Nathan, the Marquess of Oriel returns from a war assignment practically blind. He meets Isobel, a Scottish redhead who is fiery but warm-hearted. Both characters were witty and it was great to watch them interact and fall in love.

A great regency romance between two wonderful characters, no stupid misunderstandings, and a mysterious spy plot.
Mackenzie
Christy Stewart
I don't know Jensen's other work but in this book, at least, she did a great job of mixing even amounts of drama and humor and smart writing. When I didn't enjoy the story I enjoyed just reading it because the characters were so charming.
Bookwatcher
Oh boy.... what can I say about this incredible historical romance book?

Let me start telling you that it's not a boring one. I started yesterday and was obligated to keep reading. The writing is perfect and will never tire you.

The main characters are so charming!
If you are used to stupid girls that talk about hair and dress this heroine is not for you. Isobel MacLeod is Scotch, never be in "the city" (London) and has the responsibility of the house (her mother death left her, the oldest, as the
Maqluba
I tried to be really nice with my rating.. but in the end I knew I would be letting it off easy if I wasn't completely honest. This is one of those books that I would recommend to others and I would still be interested in reading more from this series but would still rate as "it was okay".

The positives: the hero and heroine relationship was written beautifully, with major play on words and meaning and analogies that flowed very nicely. the hero was HR version of Beast and the heroine was the HR
A surprisingly wonderful read. You wouldn't know it by the summary but spies, plots and murder are the bases of this book.

Nathan is returning home, weather from a spy mission or from being in the army is not quite made clear though we do know that he is a spy of sorts, when he and his close friend are attacked. While Nathan survives the attack he has lost most of his eye site and his best friend is dead as well. Fast forward six months Nathan after finally returning home once recovering from hi
Ilze
Maddux
I had to buy an old copy of this book because it's not available on Kindle.

The first few chapters had me wondering what was going on, as there was no initial telling. There was only showing. Which is good.

And then the story really began to unfold.

I could not stomach the heroine's brothers. I found them ridiculous. How can anyone be so oblivious? But I suppose it happens.

This hero? Scrummy.

Very likeable heroine.

4.5 stars.
Melanie
This was a very sweet Beauty & the Beast story, with a heroine who isn't quite a beauty, and a beast who's far from being beastly. While lacking angst, this was a touching romance between two imperfect characters who were perfect for each other. I loved the fact that Nathan didn't deny the feelings he had for his wife and that there weren't any meaningless misunderstandings (which, don't get me wrong, is a favorite theme of mind) creating unecessary problems... 5stars for a sweet and easy HR ...more
sraxe
I hated that her siblings were able to get away with being so irresponsible and she was always forgiving of their behaviour but the minute she was angry with Nathan she ran off. Her brothers and father really suffered no consequences for their actions during the book and Isobel was always all "boys will be boys" about them.

Also, I pretty much figured (view spoiler)
Bookfanatic
A nice love story about a rich Englishman with a disability and the stubborn Scottish woman who comes into his life at the right time. Lord Oriel worked as a spy for England during the Napoleonic War. He loses much of his sight to an assasin though he is not totally blind. He was able to keep his blindness a secret from everyone except her. However, he needs her help to manage his financial affairs, and she, although comes from a well-bred family, is poor and in need of the money he offers her i ...more
Rea
I bought this book as part of my Beauty and the Beast spree.

The first problem that this book encounters is the prologue. It was weak, not at all engaging, and did little to set the scene. I didn't like it at all, I felt it was clunky and didn't much like the characters I was introduced to. I started to have a few reservations about the book.
Fortunately, as of chapter 1 it picks up and becomes an enjoyable read.

This book is essentially a romance with a bit of an underlying mystery as a subplot.
Christopher
I think it's fair to say Entwined was an unevenly written story. The opening chapters were a little too dramatic, some of the plot elements (especially the semi-blind hero) didn't seem plausible, the romantic conflict is based on a very small complaint, and the transition to the external conflict felt like the author was trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. It made absolutely no sense why the hero would rush into a confrontation the way he did, except to provide a resolution to the plot.

A
babyfishmouth
3.5 Stars.

This is the first book I've read by this author and I liked it quite a bit. Had I read it in 1995 when it was first published, I probably would have given it 5 stars. 18 years later, however, it's got a few too many "old school" attributes for me to love it.

The heroine, Isobel, is fantastic. She's plucky, smart and blurts out exactly what she's thinking. Her life isn't easy but she's doing the best she can to keep her family together despite being saddled with a couple of knuckle-heade
Ana
A decent Regency story that has shades of "a not so Beauty and the Beast." The Oomph factor was missing for me though. Normally if the OF is present, I am totally swept up with the story to the exclusion of everything else around me. Unfortunately, that did not happen here here. But I'm still giving it 3 stars because the story was well-written and the H and H were appealing in their own unique way.
Macaron
enjoyed the relationships developing between the protagonists. The hero is fascinated by the heroine even before he met her. And she is a fascinating personality, easy to like. I like this story that brilliantly shows us that appearances are not the most important. And there is also a suspenseful plot about spies and murders. A delightful cocktail.
JLC
I read this awhile ago. I keep thinking I was suppose to like this better than I did for some reason. Maybe because the writing was so pristine, which is rarely seen anymore. I just got tired of the the cat-&-mouse chase between the H & h. I lost patience with the book. Such a shame too.
adelina.
It was a good read, nothing special, but still a good read for a lazy afternoon.

Isobel and Nathan were a nice combination of two different worlds.
I didn't like 'the drama' thought, it killed book for me, but well.
I would give 3 stars, but Nathan parents and his brother with his little experiments got to me.
Margaret Foxe
There are a couple of books in this series, and they're all really enjoyable. I normally loathe Scottish themed historical romance, but these are pretty charming.
PNR
I didn't get super into the suspense plotline, but I think that's just because I was only in the mood for the spinster aspects.
Donna
Absolutely wonderful book! I stayed up 'til 4 am finishing it.
England in 1811.
Going to get the 2nd book, "Fallen".
Shantina
This book wss so good. There is even a second and third one as companions. I read all three. Great reads.
Camy
4.5 stars. Witty dialogue, good story, very entertaining. Ending a bit over the top but satisfying.
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
Very enjoyable. Lovely heroine and a blind, very nice hero. Well worth the read.
PNR
Jan 22, 2012 PNR marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Can't seem to find this one anywhere!
Michelle [Helen Geek]
Jan 21, 2012 Michelle [Helen Geek] marked it as to-read
Recommended to Michelle by: Mary B.
not avail nook 01/21/2012
  • Gallant Waif
  • The Admiral's Penniless Bride
  • Taming The Beast
  • Tapestry
  • Never a Gentleman (The Drake's Rakes, #2)
  • Beauty and the Baron
  • Beauty and the Scarred Hero
  • Fallen Angel
  • My Darling Caroline
  • The Lord Next Door (Willow Pond, #1)
  • Love Is Blind
  • With this Kiss
  • His Secondhand Wife
  • Redemption
  • The Lady Flees Her Lord
  • The Portrait
  • The Secrets of Mia Danvers (Dangerous Liaisons, #1)
  • Lord Carew's Bride (Stapleton-Downes, #4)
Emma Jensen is a bestselling author who has won both a Rita and a Reviewer's Choice Award for her Regencies. She grew up in San Francisco and among the vines of the California wine country. She is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, with degrees in nineteenth-century literature, sociology, and public policy.
More about Emma Jensen...
Best Laid Schemes A Grand Design Moonlit (The Ten, #3) Fallen (The Ten, #2) The Irish Rogue