Start by marking “Entwined (The Ten, #1)” as Want to Read:
Entwined (The Ten, #1)

Entwined (The Ten #1)

After returning from war all but totally blind by a would-be assassin's hand, Nathan Oriel spends his days in bitterness and isolation. Until Isobel MacLeod--caught in his steely embrace one fateful night--shatters his world with her Scottish temper, her pride, and her courage.

Isobel, by her own admission a woman of too much brain and too little beauty, is a spinster devot
Published September 28th 1997 by Ivy Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Entwined, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Entwined

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Dec 20, 2013 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers who enjoy the marriage of convenience, less than perfect, and beauty is in the eye themes
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) by: AAR Special Title Listing
This is a beautiful and very underrated romance novel. I fell in love with the story from the first page. This was my first read by Emma Jensen, who doesn't write anymore. I could not be more saddened by that fact. A great talent has been lost to the literary world.

Entwined is the story of the relationship between Isobel, who is a tall, ungainly spinster with carrot red hair, and an unfashionably curvaceous body, and Nathan, Duke of Oriel, who was badly injured in the midst of his spy work for t
Mary B.
From beginning to end, this book just completely captivated me.

A brief summary (which I'm not very good at, generally, so bear with me):
Nathan Paget, Marquess of Oriel, is a member of an elite, clandestine team of spies known only as "The Ten." He is prepared to leave the Peninsula and return to England (and his fiance) when he and his best friend are attacked.
The attack costs Nathan his sight (although he somehow manages to keep this fact a secret from everyone) and causes some damage to his
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
Dec 20, 2013 Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Historical Romance fans
3.75 Stars

When Isobel MacLeod breaks into Lord Oriel's house, it is to put back the money her good natured, but drunken, useless father stole from him. However, Nathan, Lord Oriel catches her, and offers an unusual proposal.

This was a really lovely romance between the fiery haired, practical Isobel, who believes herself to be plain and unappealing and Nathan, who has come back from war with many scars and a disability that he keeps secret. They were both such likable characters and I enjoyed wat
Ilze
Oct 16, 2013 Ilze rated it did not like it
Kari
Feb 05, 2014 Kari rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hist-rom-fic

Beautiful story and excellent writing. Nathan, the Marquess of Oriel returns from a war assignment practically blind. He meets Isobel, a Scottish redhead who is fiery but warm-hearted. Both characters were witty and it was great to watch them interact and fall in love.

A great regency romance between two wonderful characters, no stupid misunderstandings, and a mysterious spy plot.
Nov 01, 2015 Laura rated it liked it
Me ha gustado, pero no ha llegado a encantarme.

Aunque me han gustado mucho los personajes principales: ella tan fuerte y tan sincera, él tan taciturno y decidido, su relación no tiene ese "algo" que hace que quieras seguir leyendo hasta ver qué pasa.

La trama del espionaje es interesante, pero le falta un mayor desarrollo a través del libro y el desenlace se hace un poco abrupto en las últimas páginas.

Creo que si se hubiera centrado en la trama romántica, o en la trama de misterio, en lugar de
Bookwatcher
Oh boy.... what can I say about this incredible historical romance book?

Let me start telling you that it's not a boring one. I started yesterday and was obligated to keep reading. The writing is perfect and will never tire you.

The main characters are so charming!
If you are used to stupid girls that talk about hair and dress this heroine is not for you. Isobel MacLeod is Scotch, never be in "the city" (London) and has the responsibility of the house (her mother death left her, the oldest, as the
Maqluba
I tried to be really nice with my rating.. but in the end I knew I would be letting it off easy if I wasn't completely honest. This is one of those books that I would recommend to others and I would still be interested in reading more from this series but would still rate as "it was okay".

The positives: the hero and heroine relationship was written beautifully, with major play on words and meaning and analogies that flowed very nicely. the hero was HR version of Beast and the heroine was the HR
Mackenzie
Jun 26, 2009 Mackenzie rated it really liked it
Shelves: regency-romance
Widala
Jan 03, 2016 Widala rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

I really like the romance in this book. Interaction between Nathan and Isobel was filled with witty conversation and growing attraction. The falling in love was believable, because they were intrigued with each other personalities as well as physically.
The spy thing was a nice mystery although the red herring was a bit obvious.
What dampened this book for me is Isobel's father and brothers. At first it was fun and giggles reading about their drunken antics, but it gone sour fast. Espec
Melissa
Jan 03, 2016 Melissa rated it liked it
There was nothing terrible about this book. It was just sort of blah. I never got that engaged with the characters, didn't find the spy plot all that interesting, and thought the fact that the almost completely blind hero managed to get around London as easily as he did was unbelievable, as was the fact that no one he interacted with other than the heroine ever figured out that he couldn't see. At least my prediction that the book would end with the hero regaining his sight due to a second blow ...more
Christy Stewart
I don't know Jensen's other work but in this book, at least, she did a great job of mixing even amounts of drama and humor and smart writing. When I didn't enjoy the story I enjoyed just reading it because the characters were so charming.
A surprisingly wonderful read. You wouldn't know it by the summary but spies, plots and murder are the bases of this book.

Nathan is returning home, weather from a spy mission or from being in the army is not quite made clear though we do know that he is a spy of sorts, when he and his close friend are attacked. While Nathan survives the attack he has lost most of his eye site and his best friend is dead as well. Fast forward six months Nathan after finally returning home once recovering from hi
Melanie
This was a very sweet Beauty & the Beast story, with a heroine who isn't quite a beauty, and a beast who's far from being beastly. While lacking angst, this was a touching romance between two imperfect characters who were perfect for each other. I loved the fact that Nathan didn't deny the feelings he had for his wife and that there weren't any meaningless misunderstandings (which, don't get me wrong, is a favorite theme of mind) creating unecessary problems... 5stars for a sweet and easy ...more
Lillie
Nov 18, 2015 Lillie rated it liked it
I really liked this book, it was slow and sweet and overall a very, very good read. I liked the heroine and i especially liked the hero, refreshing after so many books of either disliking one or the other or hating both. The plot, although a bit dragged out, was interesting and the supporting characters were good enough.

BUT

BUT

what kept me from giving the initial 4 stars i wanted to give was the "lie" told by the hero (which wasn't really a lie) and the heroine's fucking family. Or rather the mal
Rea
Apr 17, 2011 Rea rated it really liked it
I bought this book as part of my Beauty and the Beast spree.

The first problem that this book encounters is the prologue. It was weak, not at all engaging, and did little to set the scene. I didn't like it at all, I felt it was clunky and didn't much like the characters I was introduced to. I started to have a few reservations about the book.
Fortunately, as of chapter 1 it picks up and becomes an enjoyable read.

This book is essentially a romance with a bit of an underlying mystery as a subplot.
babyfishmouth
3.5 Stars.

This is the first book I've read by this author and I liked it quite a bit. Had I read it in 1995 when it was first published, I probably would have given it 5 stars. 18 years later, however, it's got a few too many "old school" attributes for me to love it.

The heroine, Isobel, is fantastic. She's plucky, smart and blurts out exactly what she's thinking. Her life isn't easy but she's doing the best she can to keep her family together despite being saddled with a couple of knuckle-heade
Christopher
Jul 21, 2013 Christopher rated it really liked it
I think it's fair to say Entwined was an unevenly written story. The opening chapters were a little too dramatic, some of the plot elements (especially the semi-blind hero) didn't seem plausible, the romantic conflict is based on a very small complaint, and the transition to the external conflict felt like the author was trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. It made absolutely no sense why the hero would rush into a confrontation the way he did, except to provide a resolution to the plot.

A
Bookfanatic
A nice love story about a rich Englishman with a disability and the stubborn Scottish woman who comes into his life at the right time. Lord Oriel worked as a spy for England during the Napoleonic War. He loses much of his sight to an assasin though he is not totally blind. He was able to keep his blindness a secret from everyone except her. However, he needs her help to manage his financial affairs, and she, although comes from a well-bred family, is poor and in need of the money he offers her ...more
sraxe
I hated that her siblings were able to get away with being so irresponsible and she was always forgiving of their behaviour but the minute she was angry with Nathan she ran off. Her brothers and father really suffered no consequences for their actions during the book and Isobel was always all "boys will be boys" about them.

Also, I pretty much figured (view spoiler)
Ana
Sep 15, 2013 Ana rated it liked it
A decent Regency story that has shades of "a not so Beauty and the Beast." The Oomph factor was missing for me though. Normally if the OF is present, I am totally swept up with the story to the exclusion of everything else around me. Unfortunately, that did not happen here here. But I'm still giving it 3 stars because the story was well-written and the H and H were appealing in their own unique way.
Maddux
I had to buy an old copy of this book because it's not available on Kindle.

The first few chapters had me wondering what was going on, as there was no initial telling. There was only showing. Which is good.

And then the story really began to unfold.

I could not stomach the heroine's brothers. I found them ridiculous. How can anyone be so oblivious? But I suppose it happens.

This hero? Scrummy.

Very likeable heroine.

4.5 stars.
Macaron
enjoyed the relationships developing between the protagonists. The hero is fascinated by the heroine even before he met her. And she is a fascinating personality, easy to like. I like this story that brilliantly shows us that appearances are not the most important. And there is also a suspenseful plot about spies and murders. A delightful cocktail.
adelina.
Sep 27, 2012 adelina. rated it really liked it
It was a good read, nothing special, but still a good read for a lazy afternoon.

Isobel and Nathan were a nice combination of two different worlds.
I didn't like 'the drama' thought, it killed book for me, but well.
I would give 3 stars, but Nathan parents and his brother with his little experiments got to me.
Asaria
1.5* upped to 2*
I took * for deus ex machine in ending and schematic plot, and half * for sexual escapades. Basically, second half is much worse than first. I really miss the Beast from fairy tale, who was gentleman to core
Donna
Aug 21, 2012 Donna rated it it was amazing
Absolutely wonderful book! I stayed up 'til 4 am finishing it.
England in 1811.
Going to get the 2nd book, "Fallen".
Barb Chansky
Jan 04, 2016 Barb Chansky rated it liked it
Another great discovery from my boxes. Compelling characters and engaging story. Of course now that I discovered it and want to read the sequels, they are a big hard to get...
Shantie
Mar 24, 2013 Shantie rated it it was amazing
This book wss so good. There is even a second and third one as companions. I read all three. Great reads.
Margaret Foxe
There are a couple of books in this series, and they're all really enjoyable. I normally loathe Scottish themed historical romance, but these are pretty charming.
PNR
Mar 16, 2016 PNR rated it liked it
I didn't get super into the suspense plotline, but I think that's just because I was only in the mood for the spinster aspects.
  • Taming The Beast
  • Gallant Waif
  • Beauty and the Scarred Hero
  • Redemption (Devereaux #6)
  • This Is All I Ask (de Piaget, #6; de Piaget/MacLeod, #3)
  • Beauty and the Baron
  • Tapestry
  • The Lord Next Door (Willow Pond, #1)
  • The Admiral's Penniless Bride
  • Fallen Angel
  • Anne's Perfect Husband (Sinclair Bride, #2)
  • My Darling Caroline
  • Candle in the Window (Medieval, #1)
  • With this Kiss
  • Once a Rake
  • The Portrait
  • The Secrets of Mia Danvers (Dangerous Liaisons, #1)
  • Never a Gentleman (Drake's Rakes, #2)
Emma Jensen is a bestselling author who has won both a Rita and a Reviewer's Choice Award for her Regencies. She grew up in San Francisco and among the vines of the California wine country. She is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, with degrees in nineteenth-century literature, sociology, and public policy.
More about Emma Jensen...

The Ten (3 books)