Start by marking “The End of Your World: Uncensored Straight Talk on the Nature of Enlightenment” as Want to Read:
The End of Your World: Uncensored Straight Talk on the Nature of Enlightenment

The End of Your World: Uncensored Straight Talk on the Nature of Enlightenment

More and more people are "waking up" spiritually. And for most of them, the question becomes: now what? "Information about life after awakening is usually not made public," explains Adyashanti. "It's most often shared only between teachers and their students." The End of Your World is his response to a growing need for direction on the spiritual path. Consider the book you ...more
Published December 1st 2004 by Sounds True

To ask other readers questions about The End of Your World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of Your World

Reneesarah
Aug 08, 2013 Reneesarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Buddhist teacher suggested this book to me. We had just met, and she basically said- by the way, I think you might like this book. Wow- was she right.

I must have something like two hundred spiritual books on my bookshelves. Admittedly, I haven't read all of them all the way through. I am at the point with these books that if, quite undeservedly, some Shams like character showed up and said "Let's burn up all your books and just drink the wine of experience!" I would be up for it. I might give
Carolina Montague
Oh. My. God.

I read this on the way back to India in 2010. I'd been on a Path since 2000 and FINALLY I see a western Teacher owning up to the crap that happens to you when you even think about getting your feet wet in the spiritual realm.

They told us this stuff in India. Good to see it surface here.
Susan Wight
Oct 02, 2012 Susan Wight rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I took the webinar with Adya in March of 2012 using his book: The End of Your World: Uncensored Straight Talk on the Nature of Enlightenment. This was with many people from around the world.

The entire book is a book carrying the energy of pure awareness and deep insights to awakening. It naturally but directly reveals illusive and often hidden mental programing that Adya calls living in the dream state; a state of illusion that most people don't even realize they are in. Instead of our conditio
Trans
Sep 03, 2009 Trans rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The turnabout in consciousness known as Enlightenment is often badly misunderstood these days and poorly described in much spiritual literature. Among the ancient and early modern texts that do contain accurate descriptions and valid reports, the linguistic style and cultural overlays make it difficult for most modern readers to gain a true understanding of what is being discussed. Too often, readers come away with a mythologized view (because the old texts used myths as metaphors). So people to ...more
Steve
Sep 02, 2009 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: consciousness
This is, in the dimension of awakening, just the most helpful and practical thing I have ever read. I could not get enough of it. He bestows perspective on what it is to flash awake and what people go through after they do...perspective that I have been trying to gather (not too successfully) myself for years. In a very strange way, this was like a deep breath of fresh air. I will read this over and over again.
Chris Beal
Jan 18, 2015 Chris Beal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first came to Adya (as his students call him), many of the people in his sangha had already awoken to their true nature but didn't know where to go from there. “Now what?” was the implicit refrain coming from his students. This book specifically addresses students who are at this point: they already have experienced the dropping away of the sense of self generated by the stream of thoughts, they know they are everything and nothing at the same time, but when they go back into the world th ...more
Mary
Jun 08, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A most excellent teacher. His words are very clear, down to earth and to the point, its not hard to hear what he is saying and the Zen Buddhist concepts are presented in a very understandable ordinary way, which makes it extraordinary. His insight is penetrating and sharp. It was easy to read and yet I found had to read it twice. Like all of my dharma books, it is one that I will return to again.

The main insight that I came away with was a new awareness of enlightenment, or 'waking up' and that
Vesela Simic
Mar 17, 2012 Vesela Simic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in a true and wholehearted life
I have the good fortune of living in the San Francisco Bay Area where Adya also resides and often holds public gatherings. I've just reread this book as part of a course I'm taking with him that focuses on this work. I find that when he "points to the moon," it shines ever more brightly before me. With clear, unadorned prose, he goes to the core of the spiritual journey, honestly reporting from his experience. It can be a demanding journey; these are not fluffy promises. I value Adya's wisdom an ...more
July Wolfe
Jun 04, 2012 July Wolfe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Adyashanti book I have read, and it was exactly what I've been looking for. Awakening comes before enlightenment, and I knew I was on the brink of some type of realization. Adya put the process into simple experiential words that helped me drop several preconceptions and refuse to form more. This is one I will read again and again for quite a while.
Aaron Fisher
Jan 05, 2013 Aaron Fisher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's not every day you find a book on a topic you've never seen addressed before. This book is filled with personal advice that, at least for me, rang true - and offered valuable encouragement I've reflected on again and again.
Dielle Ciesco
Nov 27, 2012 Dielle Ciesco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Adya. I love his raw honesty about the awakening process. I love his clarity. This was an excellent read because it was more than a read; it was an experience. There were so many sentences that blew my mind, brought me pause, and opened me up. Not many books can do that.
Bryce Holt
There are so many better books on enlightenment than this if you ask me, but...eh, maybe it caught me at the wrong moment. I'd still suggest "You Are Here" by Thich Naht Hanh over this any day, though. Could be worse, could certainly be better.
Sunil
Nov 11, 2012 Sunil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple and Clear Teachings...Awesome Methods of Contemplation...
Jules Tuyes
I liked it much more when stating ones state of enlightenment was somewhat taboo. No issue for this writer! The detour into a sense of superiority after enlightenment was particularly unpleasant. A few interesting insights though and not without some insight although much to the author's self-promotion.
Grace Chen
Feb 25, 2017 Grace Chen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Survival guide for your own soul and existence in this world
Suba
Feb 26, 2015 Suba rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honesty, simplicity and openness radiate from Adyashanti's words. One thing that distinguishes Adyashanti's book from others that talk about Enlightenment is his blatant honesty regarding Awaking. Rather than paint some heavenly vision of Enlightenment, he gives us the dirty, hurtful, painful, infuriating, desperate aspects of it.

He introduces us to Enlightenment via the ego's perspective. The pain, the loss, uncertainty, struggle, and so forth. Instead of all the heavenly promises, we find our
MizzSandie
My second Adyashanti book (my first was 'falling into grace').
I needed this. I needed to be reminded that there are pitfalls on the path of enlightenment and that it's all right, and to be expected, to fall into them. That our egoic structure doesn't just disappear as we awaken or begin to awaken. Because it has a strong, gravitational hold of us, and so we haven't failed just because we slip back into dualistic, separative thinking now and again.
Adyashanti is right, this isn't taught us, most o
Brandon
Jul 19, 2016 Brandon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In "The End of Your World", Adyashanti gives readers advice about what to do when they start to wake up out of the delusion of a separate self and come into contact with life moment-by-moment in an open, accepting "enlightened" way of being.

Adyashanti describes his own experiences of awakening and clearly addresses the pitfalls that can arise and pull someone who has experienced a moment or longer periods of awakening back into a fixed sense of self. Like "The Power of Now" by Eckart Tolle and
scott
Aug 16, 2011 scott rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Watered down, ego-driven, derivative material that fails to cite any of its obvious influences. Adyashanti pontificates at great length on what his definition of "enlightenment" is, and whether or not he'd give you that label. He doesn't link his concepts to well-known/accepted terminology for this domain; instead he makes up all his own definitions to ensure the reader is kept in his microcosm. There's a feel-good bent to it that hooks the reader into seeking his approval. Reading this made me ...more
Katja Vartiainen
Jun 06, 2015 Katja Vartiainen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
It's not a literary masterpiece, and it was not meant to be. It's a book that helps to integrate what happens after an epiphany. This book will make no sense if you are not into spiritual seeking, non-duality, Sufism, or any kind of mystiscim. It IS a helpful book if you are. To write a book about this subject matter is very difficult since how can one describe things like ' truth', life changing moments that makes one look at life from an angle you never knew existed ? There are so many books i ...more
Olivia
Apr 07, 2010 Olivia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, excellent down-to-earth book on Enlightenment. It does help to have at least a passing familiarity with Buddhism, but this is remarkably free of any jargon. One of the few books that talks about what to do after a moment of enlightenment. Adyashanti neither talks down to his audience, nor does he give in to over inflating anyone, himself included. Highly recommended for those who like their spiritual practices without much talk of metaphysics and plenty of discussion of what real life ...more
Todd Settimo
May 12, 2015 Todd Settimo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very clear teachings. Reading this, and comparing it with my own experience, I have come to believe that many more people are awake and awakening than we may commonly believe. Being awake is not some exalted state that ensures a person never gets annoyed, walks around blissfully all the live long day, and is exempt from misfortune. Adyashanti dispels the many myths associated with awakening and substantively advances the conversation about the nature of awakening. A very valuable read.
Joan Machlis-crasemann
I'm not able to rate this book because it is written for people with much more experience in spiritual awakening and Zen teachings than I have. Much of what was written was foreign to me and I'm sure I missed the deeper levels. None-the-less it opened up many new thoughts about how one seeks truth and about common experiences in the process of discarding illusions. On a personal note it gave me an appreciation of facets of of my nephew, who recommended this teacher.
Shikha rawal
Mar 16, 2016 Shikha rawal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are certain books that are capable of answering exactly the questions that you keep questioning. This book is exactly that. Anyone who is even remotely interested or wants to understand "what is enlightenment?" As well as anyone who is already interested in furthering their spiritual wisdom and awakening - must, must read this book!!!
Laurie
Oct 03, 2009 Laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am listening to this in the car. This is about awakening and realizing we are not our emotions, our body or our mind. We are something much bigger than that. Fascinating.

Adyashanti shares personal stories from his youth about his own awakening and the pitfalls, challenges and joys that happen.

I love the perspective it gives me on life.
Keith Huston
Sep 12, 2013 Keith Huston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
This was an amazing and refreshing discussion about enlightenment and in particular what it is not. I've been looking for was to cut through some frustration with a formalized path and that was exactly what I needed. I found him very easy to listen to and the interview at the end was direct and fantastic. I highly recommend!
Nathaniel Williams
Straightforward, compassionate, and non-pretentious. I was dismissive of the core concept of the book before starting, but I ended up learning a great deal and hope it will help me to let go of some of my illusions.
Neelesh Marik
Aug 09, 2011 Neelesh Marik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: awakening
'Make no mistake about it- enlightenment is a destructive process. It has nothing to do with becoming happier. Enlightenment is the crumbling away of untruth. It's seeing through the facade of pretense. It's the complete eradication of everything we imagined to be true'
Connor
Apr 08, 2016 Connor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Manual for the Liberated

Adya here covers the perils and pitfalls of life after enlightenment. I am not alone in recommending this book to any other newly liberated readers out there. It could save you a lot of suffering.
  • Soul Love: Awakening Your Heart Centers (Soul Life, #1)
  • The Inner Sky: How to Make Wiser Choices for a More Fulfilling Life
  • The Diamond in Your Pocket: Discovering Your True Radiance
  • Wake Up Now: A Guide to the Journey of Spiritual Awakening
  • The Gift of Our Compulsions: A Revolutionary Approach to Self-Acceptance and Healing
  • A Deep Breath of Life
  • Path of Empowerment: Pleiadian Wisdom for a World in Chaos
  • The Transparency of Things: Contemplating the Nature of Experience
  • Love Without Conditions
  • Spiritual Enlightenment: The Damnedest Thing
  • Defy Gravity: Healing Beyond the Bounds of Reason
  • The Call: Discovering Why You Are Here
  • Be As You Are: The Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi
  • The Translucent Revolution: How People Just Like You Are Waking Up and Changing the World
  • The Spiritual Emerson: Essential Writings by Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • A Thousand Names for Joy: Living in Harmony with the Way Things Are
  • The Eye of the I: From Which Nothing is Hidden
  • Take Me to Truth: Undoing the Ego
Adyashanti is an American spiritual teacher from the San Francisco Bay Area who gives regular satsangs in the United States and also teaches abroad. He is the author of several books, CDs and DVDs and is the founder of Open Gate Sangha, Inc. a nonprofit organization that supports, and makes available, his teachings.
More about Adyashanti...

“We realize--often quite suddenly--that our sense of self, which has been formed and constructed out of our ideas, beliefs and images, is not really who we are. It doesn't define us, it has no center.” 31 likes
“The important thing is allowing the whole world to wake up. Part of allowing the whole world to wake up is recognizing that the whole world is free—everybody is free to be as they are. Until the whole world is free to agree with you or disagree with you, until you have given the freedom to everyone to like you or not like you, to love you or hate you, to see things as you see them or to see things differently—until you have given the whole world its freedom—you’ll never have your freedom.” 17 likes