Start by marking “The Bandini Quartet” as Want to Read:
The Bandini Quartet

The Bandini Quartet (The Saga of Arthur Bandini #1-4)

Possessing a style of deceptive simplicity, emotional immediacy and tremendous psychological point, among the novels, short stories and screenplays that complete his career, the author's crowning accomplishment is the Arturo Bandini tetralogy.
Published 2004 (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Bandini Quartet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bandini Quartet

Stefania T.
Apr 27, 2015 Stefania T. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"Di me non c'è più niente, solo il ricordo di vecchie camere da letto, e il ciabattare di mia madre verso la cucina."

C'è un nervetto, proprio a nordest del cuore, che mi fa male, pulsa come una radice d'albero, tutte le volte che piove o che leggo Fante.
L'incontro con Chiedi alla polvere scandisce la mia vita in un prima e un dopo: se mai ho capito qualcosa della Letteratura, se mai l'ho sentita nel sangue, questo lo devo a Chiedi alla polvere. Qui ho conosciuto, visto per la prima volta l'uomo
Craig Wallwork
Jul 05, 2010 Craig Wallwork rated it it was amazing
It’s high time I swept a little space for a writer, whom without I would have hung up my spurs long ago. John Fante came to me by accident. It was 2002 and I was on holiday in Greece. I’d taken a few books to read, and ingested them in the first week. I don’t remember the titles, which his to say, they weren’t very memorable. There was another week to go, and I had resorted to riffling the local café for celebrity magazines, if only to catch a nip-slip, or panty-peek of an attractive Hollywood s ...more
Peter
Sep 23, 2014 Peter rated it did not like it
This would be without a doubt one of the worst books I have ever read in my life. There are about 4 sentences (sentences not paragraphs) scattered throughout these four works that have any lierary merit. The main character is one of the most crudely drawn and despicable characters imaginable and I kept hoping against hope that the author would have the sense to kill him off. I finished the whole set on the basis that it could not possibly have garnered any of the good reviews I read without havi ...more
Geoffrey Rhodes
Sep 03, 2007 Geoffrey Rhodes is currently reading it
John Fonte was one of the writers of the 30's who got lost in the later years, but he is up to par with John Cheever, and, especially if you're feeling like a fuckup, there is something wonderfully comforting about reading his stories of the permanent adolescent artist.
Anna Nicolaou
Sep 21, 2011 Anna Nicolaou rated it really liked it
I love John Fante's books ... I say no more.
Giórgos
να διαβάσετε το 'ask the dust'. δύο φορές.
Matteo
Jan 20, 2015 Matteo rated it it was amazing
My powerful review. is......just 1 word:ARTURO BANDINI!
Leka

2 - 4 ottobre
La strada per Los Angeles ***

5- 9 ottobre
Chiedi alla polvere

Non do mai stelle alle storie autobiografiche (e questa lo è in modo strettissimo visto che Fante si è sentito in dovere di aggiungere un prologo in cui racconta la verità che sta alla base del romanzo e da cui nasce anche il titolo). Ma è molto bello, a tratti anche molo, molto, molto bello. Straziante, anche. Come lo può essere la vita.

10 - 12 ottobre
Sogni di Bunker
Martinxo
Sep 17, 2011 Martinxo rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, biography, 2011
I first read John Fante in my late teens and loved his writing then. A quarter of a century later I find the Bandini Quartet in a charity shop for 1. Of course, I buy it immediately. Fante is a superb writer, no fluff, no cliches, just great writing.

Sometimes it's a bad idea going back to novels read in one's youth but this did not disappoint in the slights. Still great after all these years. Highly recommended.
La pointe de la sauce
Wow! An utterly pointless book written by Fante on his death bed. Absolutely bland and lacking in vigor despite the random spurts of manic rage against women, crabs etc. and promptly followed by a demand for forgiveness. Fante is a very confused catholic. Despite all of this it is an easy read but would not recommend this book to anyone.
Antoine Salem
Aug 04, 2007 Antoine Salem rated it it was amazing
Fante is one of my true heroes... nobody writes with such a captivating intensity about life and its paradoxes. Despair and joy cohabitate on every page in the most natural fashion and Bandini's world and personality are addictive. Dont pick it up if you are busy for I warn you; it will be impossible to put the book down once you get started.
Kevin Tole
I managed halfway through the second episode then ran out of steam. Possibly the most obnoxious character I have read in a book. I tried to restart this, got to the same point and gave up. Its gone back out on the market. I can't see what all the fuss is about and life's too short to bother trying to get to the bottom of this one.
Jeanne Dalgety
Great great book all the beat writers loved him and you can see why as Bukowski said "Fante is my God"
Matt Poke
Matt Poke rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2012
c
c rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2014
Alessio
Alessio rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Chrispovey
Chrispovey rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2010
Mohtab
Mohtab rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2010
Glyn
Glyn rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2015
Melvin
Melvin rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2007
Luciana CP
Luciana CP rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2013
Velvet
Velvet rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2013
Drew Gates
Drew Gates rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2013
Lorcan
Lorcan rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2010
Vlad Stavarache
Vlad Stavarache rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Madelyn
Madelyn rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2016
Marco
Marco rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2015
Lex Loverde
Lex Loverde rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2014
Ted Behr
Ted Behr rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2013
  • Warum Krieg?
  • Human Punk
  • Allen Ginsberg: A Biography
  • What to Look for in Winter: A Memoir in Blindness
  • Our Ancestors: The Cloven Viscount, The Baron in the Trees, The Non-Existent Knight
  • The Cost of Living: Early and Uncollected Stories
  • The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over the Hills
  • The Crisis of the European Mind
  • Notebooks 1951-1959
Fante's early years were spent in relative poverty. The son of an Italian born father, Nicola Fante, and an Italian-American mother, Mary Capolungo, Fante was educated in various Catholic schools in Boulder, Colorado and briefly attended the University of Colorado.

In 1929, he dropped out of college and moved to Southern California to concentrate on his writing. He lived and worked in Wilmington, L
More about John Fante...

The Saga of Arthur Bandini (4 books)
  • Wait Until Spring, Bandini (The Saga of Arthur Bandini, #1)
  • The Road to Los Angeles (The Saga of Arthur Bandini, #2)
  • Ask the Dust (Arthur Bandini, #3)
  • Dreams from Bunker Hill (The Saga of Arthur Bandini, #4)