Start by marking “The Bandini Quartet” as Want to Read:
The Bandini Quartet

The Bandini Quartet (The Saga of Arthur Bandini #1-4)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  279 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Possessing a style of deceptive simplicity, emotional immediacy and tremendous psychological point, among the novels, short stories and screenplays that complete his career, the author's crowning accomplishment is the Arturo Bandini tetralogy.
Published 2004 (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Bandini Quartet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bandini Quartet

Craig Wallwork
It’s high time I swept a little space for a writer, whom without I would have hung up my spurs long ago. John Fante came to me by accident. It was 2002 and I was on holiday in Greece. I’d taken a few books to read, and ingested them in the first week. I don’t remember the titles, which his to say, they weren’t very memorable. There was another week to go, and I had resorted to riffling the local café for celebrity magazines, if only to catch a nip-slip, or panty-peek of an attractive Hollywood s ...more
Leka

2 - 4 ottobre
La strada per Los Angeles ***

5- 9 ottobre
Chiedi alla polvere

Non do mai stelle alle storie autobiografiche (e questa lo è in modo strettissimo visto che Fante si è sentito in dovere di aggiungere un prologo in cui racconta la verità che sta alla base del romanzo e da cui nasce anche il titolo). Ma è molto bello, a tratti anche molo, molto, molto bello. Straziante, anche. Come lo può essere la vita.

10 - 12 ottobre
Sogni di Bunker
Geoffrey Rhodes
Sep 03, 2007 Geoffrey Rhodes is currently reading it
John Fonte was one of the writers of the 30's who got lost in the later years, but he is up to par with John Cheever, and, especially if you're feeling like a fuckup, there is something wonderfully comforting about reading his stories of the permanent adolescent artist.
Anna Nicolaou
I love John Fante's books ... I say no more.
Peter
This would be without a doubt one of the worst books I have ever read in my life. There are about 4 sentences (sentences not paragraphs) scattered throughout these four works that have any lierary merit. The main character is one of the most crudely drawn and despicable characters imaginable and I kept hoping against hope that the author would have the sense to kill him off. I finished the whole set on the basis that it could not possibly have garnered any of the good reviews I read without havi ...more
Jeanne Dalgety
Great great book all the beat writers loved him and you can see why as Bukowski said "Fante is my God"
Martinxo
I first read John Fante in my late teens and loved his writing then. A quarter of a century later I find the Bandini Quartet in a charity shop for £1. Of course, I buy it immediately. Fante is a superb writer, no fluff, no cliches, just great writing.

Sometimes it's a bad idea going back to novels read in one's youth but this did not disappoint in the slights. Still great after all these years. Highly recommended.
Antoine Salem
Fante is one of my true heroes... nobody writes with such a captivating intensity about life and its paradoxes. Despair and joy cohabitate on every page in the most natural fashion and Bandini's world and personality are addictive. Dont pick it up if you are busy for I warn you; it will be impossible to put the book down once you get started.
Lisa Clement
Loved it, couldn't put it down:-)
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Mj
Mj marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
L
L added it
Dec 16, 2014
Fjoralba
Fjoralba marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Lightingcloud
Lightingcloud marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Silvia
Silvia added it
Nov 23, 2014
Ottavio Tarallo
Ottavio Tarallo is currently reading it
Nov 19, 2014
Yumi Kaioh
Yumi Kaioh marked it as to-read
gm
gm added it
Emily Johnson
Emily Johnson marked it as to-read
Irenelazia
Irenelazia marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
MiraLo
MiraLo marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
great book !! 1 0 Jan 13, 2013 06:51AM
  • Short Dog: Cab Driver Stories from the L.A. Streets
  • Fondamenta degli incurabili
  • Our Ancestors: The Cloven Viscount, The Baron in the Trees, The Non-Existent Knight
  • The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 21
  • Racconti
  • The Journal, 1837-1861
  • The Poems of Alexander Pope: A reduced version of the Twickenham Text
  • The Gulag Archipelago, 1918-1956: An Experiment in Literary Investigation, Volume 2
  • The Stories Of Tobias Wolff
  • The Family Mashber
  • The Crisis of the European Mind
  • Allen Ginsberg: A Biography
  • Great Britain
Fante's early years were spent in relative poverty. The son of an Italian born father, Nicola Fante, and an Italian-American mother, Mary Capolungo, Fante was educated in various Catholic schools in Boulder, Colorado and briefly attended the University of Colorado.

In 1929, he dropped out of college and moved to Southern California to concentrate on his writing. He lived and worked in Wilmington, L
More about John Fante...
Ask the Dust Wait Until Spring, Bandini The Road to Los Angeles Dreams from Bunker Hill (The Saga of Arthur Bandini, #4) The Brotherhood of the Grape