Start by marking “The Hotel Majestic” as Want to Read:
The Hotel Majestic

The Hotel Majestic (Maigret #20)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  529 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Penguin delivers two more vintage Inspector Maigret novels by the legendary mystery author In "The Hotel Majestic," Maigret investigates the murder of Mrs. Clark, the wife of a wealthy American industrialist, whose strangled body is found in the basement of an upscale hotel near the Champs-Elysees. Maigret's inquiries take him from the endless corridors of the Hotel Majest ...more
Published December 26th 2006 by Penguin Books (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about The Hotel Majestic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hotel Majestic

Andrea
Reading Simenon is like eating a bar of dark chocolate...not much thought required but intellectually admirable, everything tidy at the end, and always a pleasure.
Mikee
" - Torrance reappears, after being murdered in 1931 (in Maigret and the Enigmatic Lett)!
- Maigret is no longer retired and is back living in the apartment on Boulevard Richard-Lenoir.
- Janvier make a first appearance.
- The Maigrets, once again, have no children.
- The previous Maigret book (in English) - Maigret Returns - was written in 1934. It was the 19th book in the series and, by all appearances, it was destined to be the last. This destiny, gratefully, did not take. This book, number 2
KOMET
Jul 02, 2013 KOMET rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a well-written, enjoyable, police mystery novel set in interwar Paris
This is the second Georges Simenon Maigret novel I've read. Nor will it be the last. In so few words, Simenon creates a rich, multi-textured world with a colorful assortment of characters which is dazzling. There is a murder in a Parisian hotel of a woman who had been staying there with her American husband (and child, governess, and maid), who apparently is estranged from her, enraptured as he is with the governess and apparently set on going off to Rome with her.

But everything isn't as it see
John
My edition - Maigret and the Hotel Majestic

Another brilliant example of the genius of Simenon. Maigret doesn't solve his cases like Holmes or Poirot with intellect, he immerses himself in the characters and locations and soaks up the knowledge of what makes them tick. Simenon also writes with the most wonderful economy. There is no padding in his stories, no wasted words. His books are nearly always quite short, around 130 pages but he can say more in those pages than many other writers in much
Jan C
Fairly quick read.

Simenon was faster than this reader. I didn't get it. Although all the clues were there.

Loved the locale ... how he just painted the portrait of this magnificent hotel, majestic if you will.

I've only read a couple of his books. Will have to look for more.
Grace
The Maigret books are just perfect. Perfect little slices of Parisian life, and Maigret's mind. Nothing is sugar-coated, but nothing is too challenging, either. And really, Paris in the late '40s/50's - what more is there to say?
Michael Lassell
I don't know how I missed this series all these years, since I knew it existed from the Michael Gambon TV series in Great Britain. There are 75 books, only a handful of which are currently available in English and/or in electronic formats.

If this one book is any indication, Simenon has mastered a unique and incredibly concise style... it's a kind of police procedural without all the minutiae of the procedure. The atmosphere is terrific, in this case a grand hotel on the Champs-Élysées, where a w
Alexander Inglis
In Georges Simenon's 1942 novel, Hotel Majestic, Chief Inspector Jules Maigret must solve the murder of an American tycoon's wife whose strangled body is found unceremoniously stuffed into an employee's locker in the basement of a Paris hotel. The tycoon, however, has an alibi (he's been dallying with the governess instead of his French-born wife), and if the tycoon's six year old son, with fiery red hair, happens to bear a striking resemblance to the accused murderer, a hotel employee named Pro ...more
Phillip Kay
Maigret and the Hotel Majestic was first published in 1942 as Maigret et les caves du Majestic, and was translated into English by Caroline Hillier. This is a relatively early Maigret story which combines with great skill a depiction of a group of working class people associated in one way or the other with a grand hotel, and an expertly plotted and intriguing detective story involving swindling, forgery and murder. The world of Prosper Donge, a cook at the Hotel Majestic, has been transformed w ...more
Jessi
A fast, fun read.
Inspector Maigret is the protagonist of Simenon's series. I enjoyed meeting him in this book. He is a stereotypical plodding detective. He may not look at a scene and immediately know what occurred, but he takes each step, making sure that the true murderer is revealed. There is a sort of, well, mania is maybe too strong of a word, but Maigret really wants to make sure that he jails the right person (not just the convenient suspect), even if that person is the wealthy American h
Rhys
Maigret duffs up a prisoner and gives cocaine to a prostitute in the final chapter of Les Caves du Majestic... This is the 12th 'Maigret' novel I have read and I've never seen this side of him before... Probably the best in the series so far, with superbly rendered atmosphere and genuinely moving social insights... Only another 63 to go. Next up, La Danseuse du Gai-Moulin...
Nickolai
Сюжет интересен. А вот стиль изложения - на любителя. Это не захватывающий, постоянно держащий в напряжении детектив, а своего рода любование интеллектуальным уровнем главного героя. Вместе с тем, разгадка оказалась не результатом умственной деятельности Мегрэ, а следствием рутинного исполнения им своих должностных обязанностей.
Una delle inchieste di Maigret che mi è piaciuta di più. Un bell'intrecciarsi di esistenze, il fato che ci mette sempre lo zampino, un Maigret che arresta il suo colpevole cenando con lui. Bello, mi è piaciuto tanto quanto il caso Saint Fiacre.
Adi
Overall, a nice detective story, however I had the feeling that some parts of it were a bit rushed, and did not make a lot of sense.
Colleen
Inspector Maigret investigates the murder of a rich American's wife while the family is staying in Paris at the Hotel Majestic. The body is found in a locker where the help stores their street clothes. He observes the way the hotel is run from breakfast until the dancing ends late at night. It's the 1930's and the hotel is very swank. And of course, there doesn't seem to be any motive for this beautiful woman's death. But there is. And Maigret has to tease out all the relationships to figure out ...more
Andrea Hickman Walker
There are apparently 103 books in the Maigret series, which I'm very pleased about because I'm really enjoying these. This was a wonderfully complicated mystery, made more difficult for Maigret by the presence of reprehensible English-only speakers. It's an issue that I haven't come across in previous mysteries, but since most of the ones I read are British or American, both of whom are of the opinion that everyone should speak English it hasn't come up. I think it probably should more often.
Lisa
This was a quick book and fun. Maigret is interesting as a policeman. Howevever, it was a little hard to follow.
Travis
Inspector Maigret investigates a murder at a prominent hotel.
Clever mystery with the added bit of entertainment of Maigret having suspects being of different nationalities and dealing with the language barrier.
Nice, as I don't recall this showing up in many books.
Sara
I liked the mise-en-scène, the character of the accused man, and the way it all turned out. The plot was complex and there was a lot of "Maigret-goes-into-intuitive-pachyderm-mode" in the working out of the plot - but still, it was a satisfying read.
Jlnpeacock
I have read man of the mysteries by Simenon. They are wonderful entertainment as they are written well, give a nice 'feel' of what France was like in the '50's, and give me an appreciation of the French people which I have not had previously.
Anna Rossi
Un intreccio davvero interessante e coinvolgente. Un Maigret beffardo e sornione che indaga con la sua proverbiale meticolosità e la solita dose di profonda umanità, mentre una Senna ammiccante fa da leitmotiv alla storia.
Kirsti
As far as I can remember, this is the first Simenon I've read. But apparently there are 74 other Maigret novels! I liked the setting and the atmosphere. The plot was surprisingly convoluted for such a short novel.
april violet
This was a bit of a snooze, so I didn't get very far into the story. I had picked this up hoping it would be a quick read. No big deal, though. There are plenty other Georges Simenon books to choose from.
Benjy
I've probably read two dozen Simenon books and this is, I think, the best of the Maigrets. There are more interesting plots and mysteries but he just nails it on the descriptions and atmosphere in this one.
Mom
Very neat, well constructed, imaginative mystery. Love the inspecter.......He gives the impression that he's not quite sure what's going on but he's shrewdly observing everything.
Michele Weiner
I haven't read one of Simenon's simple but convoluted mysteries in a long time. It was fun, and Maigret is one of my faves. I dare you to figure out the crime before the end.
Rrprr
This was fabulous! My first Maigret book and despite the fact that Simenon says he throws out all 'literary' sentences there are some amazing ones lurking in this book.
Liz Gallagher
So glad we discovered Simenon and his inspector Maigret. Now I've read four of these wonderfully intriguing novels. Looking forward to reading the other 71....
Pam
Confession time: I never really read much Maigret. But I enjoyed this book much more than I thought I would. It was a perfect book to read on the beach.
Kathryn
MFK Fisher could not wait for a new Simenon mystery to arrive. She was just one of his many followers. Now you can get most of them at the library.
  • Attenti al gorilla
  • The Age of Doubt (Inspector Montalbano, #14)
  • Summertime All the Cats Are Bored
  • Sans feu ni lieu
  • Murder in the Central Committee (Pepe Carvalho, #5)
  • The Abominable Man (Martin Beck #7)
  • Outsider in Amsterdam (Grijpstra & de Gier Mystery #1)
  • Le perfezioni provvisorie
  • Total Chaos
  • The Sleeping Car Murders
  • The Stately Home Murder (Inspector Sloan #3)
  • Entanglement (Teodor Szacki, #1)
  • More Beer
  • Too Many Women (Nero Wolfe, #12)
  • Devil Red (Hap and Leonard, #8)
  • The Saturday Morning Murder (Michael Ohayon, #1)
  • Inspector Imanishi Investigates
Simenon was one of the most prolific writers of the twentieth century, capable of writing 60 to 80 pages per day. His oeuvre includes nearly 200 novels, over 150 novellas, several autobiographical works, numerous articles, and scores of pulp novels written under more than two dozen pseudonyms. Altogether, about 550 million copies of his works have been printed.

He is best known, however, for his 75
More about Georges Simenon...

Maigret (1 - 10 of 74 books)
  • Pietr the Latvian (Maigret, #1)
  • The Carter of 'La Providence' (Maigret, #2)
  • The Late Monsieur Gallet (Maigret, #3)
  • The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien (Maigret, #4)
  • A Man's Head
  • The Yellow Dog
  • The Night at the Crossroads
  • A Crime in Holland
  • The Grand Banks Café
  • The Dancer at the Gai-Moulin
The Man Who Watched Trains Go By Dirty Snow The Yellow Dog Pietr the Latvian (Maigret, #1) The Strangers in the House