Start by marking “The Big Hunger” as Want to Read:
The Big Hunger

The Big Hunger

Published here for the first time, this text presents a collection of recently-discovered stories by John Fante.
Published May 31st 2002 by Ecco (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Hunger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Hunger

Kirk Smith
Sep 27, 2016 Kirk Smith rated it it was amazing
This short story collection is one of my last Fante's and it goes straight to the top of my charts. John Fante also has my vote for Best Unknown American Author. I can put these up against Raymond Carver, Breece Pancake, Rick Bass and Fante still comes out on top. Once championed by Charles Bukowski, when asked why he favored his work, Bukowski described it as "he writes pure emotion". Shadows of the writers psyche perhaps show in Fante's work, if so he would be best described as a narcissist w ...more
Monique
Feb 09, 2010 Monique rated it it was amazing
I am truly in love with a dead man. This book of shorts by John Fante has not only inspired me to write more but makes me thirst for more of his stories. I'm going straight to the book shop. I'm hanging a picture of him on my wall and gonna use the ole typewriter again. Magnificent!
Vinicius Gonçalves
Adeus John Fante

Última obra do escritor a ser publicada no Brasil, encerro o ciclo da leitura de todos os seus livros, faltando apenas a coletânea de cartas.

Fante forma com Dostoyevsky e Bukowski a "tríade" de escritores que me impactaram de uma maneira que levarei para toda a vida, cada um com suas características próprias mas que se interligam de uma maneira ou outra.

Apesar de trazer contos não publicados, encontrados pelo editor e biografo de Fante na residência de sua viúva, não espere por a
Dale Jr.
Jan 19, 2012 Dale Jr. rated it really liked it
As it has been said, this is not Fante's best work. However, even though this is true, there are stories, sentences, and simple descriptions in this collection which leave me breathless. Fante has become on of my favorite writers over the past year and a half and I can't seem to get enough of him. I know I'm devouring his words quickly, and I will be saddened to see the platter finished when I read his last words.

For those of you unfamiliar with Fante, do not start with this. Begin with The Roa
Anja
Jul 22, 2012 Anja rated it liked it
Some stories definitely better than others with "Mary Osaka, I Love You" and "The Sins of the Mother" for me being the best.
blakeR
Feb 13, 2016 blakeR rated it liked it
As I imagine is the case for most works that go purposely unpublished during a writer's life only to be released posthumously, this collection is best reserved for Fante completists and can probably be ignored by the rest of the masses.

Most of the stories have a distinctly immature feel -- not with regards to Fante the man but rather to the time/effort put into the pieces. And that's understandable; it's what you would expect from stories he knew would never be published, some of which were spr
Şeyma Topaloğlu
Ismael Galvan
Jan 21, 2017 Ismael Galvan rated it it was amazing
Here's a collection of previously unpublished stories rescued from Fante's drawer. They go all the way back to 1932, when Fante was a young writer ready to kick the world in the balls. All the stories are grounded in his struggle to become a writer while dealing with family, poverty, and trying to get laid.

Honestly, I can't understand why Fante didn't publish these stories while alive. They're all very enjoyable and a few are outstanding. This collection works great for anyone, whether you're ne
Ryan Holiday
Jul 05, 2012 Ryan Holiday rated it it was amazing
Fante was (and is) probably my favorite American fiction writer. His voice is excellent and unique. His insight had depth and subtlety. He wrote with passion and a very real, very gritty force (an ummph). The eponymous story of this collection is one of my Fante favorites. Glad these got collected, and I'm glad there was such a man as John Fante.
Kamran
Feb 01, 2017 Kamran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yeraltı ədəbiyyatının sevdiyim cəhəti reallıqları dramatik şəkildə göstərdiyi zaman, istifadə olunan səmimiyyətin insanı güldürməsidir. Artıq təsəvvür edərkən bir teatral tamaşa yox sanki təsvir olunan ailənin evində onlarla birgə yaşayırsan. Hekayələrin arasında bəziləri var idi, janr olaraq "yeraltı ədəbiyyatına aiddir mi?" deyə məndə sual yaratdı. Bəzi hissələr klassik ədəbiyyata oxşayırdı.
Neil McCrea
May 17, 2009 Neil McCrea rated it liked it
I've long been a fan of Fante, and as his novels often feel very episodic to me I felt his short stories ought to be just about perfect. Ironically, I found many of them to feel like orphaned excerpts from a larger work. Worth reading, but not as spiffo as i expected.
Lorena Drapeau
Nov 11, 2007 Lorena Drapeau rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
this was put together by a fan of fante's and his wife. it is obvious that these are his "sketchs" and what he used to outline his other books. not stories that were complete or prepared for print. and yet... despite that i was just happy to have more words of his to read...
D.j. Brown
May 29, 2017 D.j. Brown rated it it was amazing
If you've read his complete novels, you'll appreciate reading his posthumous short stories, but may not otherwise.
David
May 15, 2011 David rated it really liked it
I am not going to fill out the good reads with all the past books I read, but as I enroll i notice West of Rome on my shelf. I have recently purged boxes of books almost at random, and I am a little surprised as to what have left. And there next to Curious George and the Bathroom Book is West of Rome. A few years past I went through a Fante faze and only wish that I hadn't, only because I would love to read every one again fresh and new and unprepared. I haphazardly discovered Fante in a book st ...more
Librofilia_it
Nov 03, 2016 Librofilia_it rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Con la raccolta di racconti "La grande fame" concludo il mio personale ciclo e percorso attraverso le opere di John Fante che mi ha dato moltissimo sia in termini letterari ma soprattutto da un punto di vista umano poiché pochissimi autori sono in grado di narrare storie che possiedono al loro interno, il sapore amaro della fame e il puzzo della miseria e allo stesso tempo, che sanno godere delle tribolazioni compiute per raggiungere un dato obiettivo ma soprattutto che possiedono tonnelate di c ...more
Graham
Jul 14, 2008 Graham rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fante fans
The biggest crime is the jackass that convinced Fante to quit his work based on Filipino immigrants in California right before the outbreak of WWII. After reading excerpts from the novel that he was working on (his opus, he claimed), I felt nothing short of robbed that there wasn't more.

Fante -- it would've been great!
Dalton Campos
Esses contos foram encontrados pelo organizador (o biógrafo do autor, Stephen Cooper) em uma de suas muitas visitas à viúva de John Fante. São textos enxutos, mas muito ricos em observar as estranhezas dos italianos que migraram para os Estados Unidos. Há também dois textos com personagens filipinos.

Os textos são deliciosos, com grande destaque para o que dá nome ao livro, A Grande Fome.

Timwriter
The writing was not as good as I expected. Charles Bukowski gave this guy props, but it wasn't evident in this book. That being said, the stories were previously unpublished. They also were very good at describing real people in true situations. This was especially evident in the stories that came from his Italian-American background.
Adam Ghory
Aug 05, 2015 Adam Ghory rated it really liked it
Fante is one of my favorites. You can feel his emotions in every sentence, and he describes life in the early 20th century better than most. While "Ask The Dust, Bandini" is probably his greatest work, you can find simple joys in all of his books, when you're in the proper mood to read them. This collection of short stories has a "Prologue to Ask the Dust" that completely blew me away.
Jáder Santana
Meu primeiro Fante. Dizem por aí que não é o melhor pra se começar, mas eu gostei um bocado de alguns contos - e não tanto de outros. O leque de personagens que ele cria é rico e surpreendente, e as histórias estão sempre com foco mantido em trabalhadores, estrangeiros, vagabundos, como uma introdução ao universo beatnik. Fiquei curioso pra ler Pergunte ao Pó.
Lenore
Nov 29, 2007 Lenore rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: short story readers
For those of us who came of age in the 1950's, this author has eveything right. He follows the Italian communities mid-century, and the stories are funny, sad and very politically incorrect - thank goodness.
Eva
Jul 27, 2009 Eva rated it it was amazing
so far... love it.
Clayton Hauck
Feb 22, 2013 Clayton Hauck rated it liked it
Overall solid. A few of the short stories are fantastic, my favorite being "To Be a Monstrous Clever Fellow" and "Mary Osaka, I Love You". If anything, at least give those a read.
nein
Apr 04, 2013 nein rated it really liked it
interesting
incipit mania
Incipit

Dibber Lannon ha un fratello più grande ...
La grande fame incipitmania.com
Jenny G
Aug 24, 2007 Jenny G rated it liked it
i don't really like this book because I have the strange feeling that Fante didn't write these stories. Something is just wrong stylistically.
Dean Moberly
Feb 16, 2008 Dean Moberly is currently reading it
Stiiiiiiiiiil learnin'.
Stephane
May 01, 2014 Stephane rated it really liked it
Good but not the best Fante I've ever read.
Jonathan Terranova
Mar 13, 2013 Jonathan Terranova rated it liked it
At times brilliant. Really enjoyed 'I am a writer of truth' 'Mary Osaka I love you and Jakie's Mother. Some of the stories however were as dull as ditchwater...
Jack
Jack rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2013
  • Full of Life: A Biography of John Fante
  • Short Dog: Cab Driver Stories from the L.A. Streets
  • Reach for the Sun: Selected Letters 1978-1994, Volume 3
  • Julia and the Bazooka and Other Stories
  • Beginners
  • Midnight Mass (Peter Owen Modern Classic)
  • Gonzo Highway
  • Tornado Alley
  • Complete Stories, 1892-1898
  • Night Soul and Other Stories
  • Songs of Vagabonds, Misfits, and Sinners: New York Stories
  • The Seventh Horse And Other Tales
  • One Human Minute
  • The Sky, the Stars, the Wilderness
Fante's early years were spent in relative poverty. The son of an Italian born father, Nicola Fante, and an Italian-American mother, Mary Capolungo, Fante was educated in various Catholic schools in Boulder, Colorado and briefly attended the University of Colorado.

In 1929, he dropped out of college and moved to Southern California to concentrate on his writing. He lived and worked in Wilmington, L
More about John Fante...

“Ask the dust on the road! Ask the Joshua trees standing alone where the Mojave begins. Ask them about Camilla Lopez, and they will whisper her name.” 22 likes