Start by marking “Three at Wolfe's Door (Nero Wolfe, #33)” as Want to Read:
Three at Wolfe's Door (Nero Wolfe, #33)

Three at Wolfe's Door (Nero Wolfe #33)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  977 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Three murder cases place arrogant, gormandizing sleuth Archie Goodwin at an exclusive dinner party where arsenic is served, in a wandering cab with a dead lady driver, and at a rodeo championship.
Published June 9th 2010 by Crimeline (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Three at Wolfe's Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three at Wolfe's Door

Bill  Kerwin

Three Nero Wolfe novellas, in which 1) a gourmet is poisoned at at meal cooked by Fritz, 2) a womanizer is strangled with a lariat during a roping contest in Lily Rowan's penthouse, and 3) a woman is found strangled in the back of a taxicab parked literally at Wolfe's Door. I think the Wolfe novellas are often superior to the novels, and these three are very good indeed.
Nan Silvernail
Three mysteries:
1) Poison a' la carte - Nero Wolfe's personal chef, Fritz Brenner is honored with an invitation to prepare a dinner for the Ten for Aristology, a meeting of the top gourmets. Wolfe and Archie Goodwin attend by courtesy invitation. He wouldn't have if he'd have known the dinner would be served by 12 beautiful young women in purple togas. Pfui! But when the obnoxious member seated next to Wolfe is poisoned, he and Archie must find out whose delicate hand delivered Death.

2) Method T
Joyce Lagow

This is a collection of three Nero Wolfe short stories--Poison a la Carte, Method Three for Murder, and The Rodeo Murder--written in the late 1950s.

Always allowing for the time period in which these were written, Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin hold up well; they are enough idiosyncratic that they continue to entertain more than 50 years later. The same can’t be said for some of the plots.

The Rodeo Murder is terrible. Cowpokes in The Big City and gettin’ hitched an’ all that sort of pseudo-folksy
Sun
Three Nero Wolfe stories in one. In the first, 'Poison a la Carte', Wolfe and Goodwin attend a select dinner for aristologists specially prepared by Fritz. One of the diners is poisoned and suspicion falls on half a dozen waitresses. In 'Method Three for Murder', a corpse is delivered right to Wolfe's door and it's Archie who is hired to solve the case. This is the most well-developed of the three stories in plot. The last and the lamest short is titled 'The Rodeo Murder', in which a Broadway pr ...more
Paul Secor
I read many of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe novels when I was younger, and recently decided to reacquaint myself with Wolfe and Archie Goodwin.
This collection of three novellas/short stories strikes me as minor Rex Stout. The stories were enjoyable, but I missed being able to read and stretch out with Archie's narratives.
HBalikov
Just a refresher for me. Stout is a master at this genre. This collection of three novellas is a fine example. See my review of Stout Fellow for more.
Brie
I discovered Nero Wolfe through Netflix, yeah, the A&E TV show with Timothy Hutton. I love it and devour them.
When I learned that they were based off of books and did some research to make sure the characters were equally clever, I picked them up. I usually detest mystery novels, but this one, this series is wonderful. I can't get enough of the characters who are dynamic and hilarious.
I usually classify my favorite genre as gritty whimsy, and this fits the bill perfectly. Gruesome crimes, fu
Ed
Average Nero Wolfe short story/novella collection - the rating is 3.5 because average for Rex Stout was much better than average.

Nero Wolfe series - Three at Wolfe's Door is a collection of Nero Wolfe mystery novellas. The book comprises three stories, one of them published previously: "Poison à la Carte"; "Method Three for Murder" (previously serialized in three issues of The Saturday Evening Post, January 30–February 13, 1960); and, "The Rodeo Murder".
Michele bookloverforever
3 short mystery stories about Nero Wolfe and finding murderers. enjoyable.
Claudia
Sep 24, 2007 Claudia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all mystery lovers
I like Nero Wolfe mystery books. Of course, growing up in the fifties, these books appeal to my nostalgic memories.
It's hard to dislike sassy, smart-mouthed Archie Goodwin, Nero's trusted factotum and sometime whipping boy. And, of course, Nero the genius who sits like a fat spider in his office waiting for a wealthy client to help pay for his love of orchids and food.
This book contains three novellas, all of which I enjoyed.
Vitor Frazão
Melhor que a anterior obra de Rex Stout que li. Não me interpretem mal, continua a irritar-me o cliché cansativo de os detectives privados como génios e as forças de autoridade como grunhos, mesmo pelo menos a personagens estão menos insonsas e as descrições melhores, talvez por estar dividido em 3 histórias mais pequenas. Fossem os mistérios um pouco mais inteligentes e talvez merecesse 3 Estrelas.
Vicki Cline
This is another collection of three short stories. In the first one, Wolfe doesn't even figure out whodunit, just how to trap the person into revealing him/her-self. But the second one is pretty good. A young woman knocks at the door just as Archie is leaving, having quit his job with Wolfe. She needs Archie's help with a corpse in the cab she just drove over. A pretty intricate plot.
Jz
The first story was developed by Timothy Hutton into a screen version for A&E, and was all right. The second, with the dead body in the cab, made me laugh. Not to very likely. The third, not up to standard. Sorry. An average for Rex Stout, which still is above average for others, but not one of his best.
Jeff
Three at Wolfe’s Door (1960)

Many of Rex Stout’s Nero Wolfe books are collections of 3 novellas. They usually take up fifty or so pages and were published in magazines back when there was a reading public. The three here are fun, but I like the novels better. There is more room in them for Goodwin’s voice and interaction between the two leads.
Renee Bush
Rex Stout makes investing in the Kindle app for my iPad more than worthwhile! When the local library can no longer get these books, the Kindle store can! I have loved every one I have downloaded so far, and I know I will love them all, when i get to them!

This one is an example of the best of his short stories. I could not put it down.
Lisa Kucharski
First two mysteries are solid. The third feels a bit hammed up, mostly due to the characters being a bit more bawdy. But in general the last story was the weakest mystery in general. Lily was in the story and I was hoping to get to see more of her, since she and Archie are an very fond of each other.
Jim
This book contained 3 Novellas. I did not find any of them particularly good. The plots all felt artificial, possibly because of the length of the stories. It felt like the author was cutting corners to fit each mystery into 75 pages.
E
I got this from the library, onto my Kindle (I love the 21st century so much!)
I remember liking Nero Wolfe mysteries better. I like the characters, but the mystery? eh. x 3
Mary
These 3 shorter Wolfe mysteries are not as satisfying as the longer novels. You simply can not put a gentleman the size of Wolfe into a skinny story!
Melissa
I have read this one before. After reading The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam, I had a desire to revisit Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin.
meeners
one of the weaker collections; i wouldn't recommend it to anyone who didn't already like stout. loved how badass judith bram was, though!
Brenda Mengeling
Three excellent shorts with Nero Wolfe and Archie: Poison a la Carte, Method Three for Murder and The Rodeo Murder.
Sallie
3 short stories in one book. Interesting to read especially since they are mostly set in the 1950s New York City.
Stephen Weathers
Poison A la Carte is referenced in a number of other Nero Wolfe stories, so I was glad to finally enjoy it.
Dave Peticolas

Three stories where the action starts in close proximity to the great man.

Courtney Golden
another nero wolfe, I've read it before but still love it, yay!
Reed Willmore
I love all things Nero Wolfe because of the wonderful dialogue.
Philip
You can never go wrong with Nero Wolfe!
  • Murder in E Minor
  • Monday the Rabbi Took Off
  • Flynn (Flynn, #1)
  • Find a Victim
  • Maigret and the Man on the Bench
  • Murder for Christmas
  • Murder-Go-Round: Thirteen at Dinner, The A.B.C. Murders, Funerals are Fatal
  • A Play of Piety (Joliffe the Player, #6)
  • Buried for Pleasure (Gervase Fen, #6)
  • Early Autumn (Spenser, #7)
  • Tumbleweed
Rex Todhunter Stout (December 1, 1886 – October 27, 1975) was an American crime writer, best known as the creator of the larger-than-life fictional detective Nero Wolfe, described by reviewer Will Cuppy as "that Falstaff of detectives." Wolfe's assistant Archie Goodwin recorded the cases of the detective genius from 1934 (Fer-de-Lance) to 1975 (A Family Affair).

The Nero Wolfe corpus was nominated
More about Rex Stout...
Fer-de-Lance (Nero Wolfe, #1) Too Many Cooks (Nero Wolfe, #5) Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe, #6) The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe, #2) Black Orchids (Nero Wolfe, #9)