Start by marking “City of the Dead” as Want to Read:
City of the Dead

City of the Dead (The Rising #2)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  3,750 ratings  ·  186 reviews
Where can you go when the dead are everywhere? Cities have become overrun with legions of the dead, all of them intent on destroying what's left of the living. Trapped inside a fortified skyscraper, a handful of survivors prepare to make their last stand against an unstoppable, undying enemy. With every hour their chances diminish and their numbers dwindle, while the numbe ...more
Audio CD, 10 pages
Published July 1st 2009 by Audio Realms (first published May 25th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about City of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City of the Dead

Rob
Oct 24, 2014 Rob rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Not even people that I hate.
Kristen
Before we begin - This is the Sequel to "The Rising" and should be read in that order. If you have yet to read "The Rising" stop reading now because what is in these reviews will be spoilers when reading the first in the series.

Now for the Summary - Keene rewinds a bit in the opening of this book, recapping the final chapter of "The Rising" where we were all left in that upsetting cliffhanger. He then continues on from there with an ever growing and shrinking group of scrappy survivors. At this
Bill
I finally got to City of the Dead, Brian Keene's sequel to the relentless The Rising.

I had rated The Rising four stars, but I think this one will have to hit five.
Keene can move a story along with the best of them. There is no time for flowery prose, so buckle in and hold on tight.

City of the Dead picks up right where The Rising left off. Actually, it overlaps that ending. Like The Rising, the pacing is relentless, and you are burning through the novel like gangbusters.
And man, I love his zombie
Jonathan Janz
I'll write a longer review at some point maybe, but for now I'll just say this: There's hope in this book, but COTD isn't going to clobber you over the head with it. No, it's a novel with integrity. Keene follows the story to the conclusion that fits best, and that means you'll need to steel yourself for some rough, disquieting stuff.

But it's scary, it's harrowing, and as you'd expect, it's exceedingly well-written.

A worthy sequel to one of the best zombie novels ever written, and a great stan
Chris
This is my fourth Keene read, all of them recent. While the first three all fell into that "entertaining and gory with the occasional chuckle but not hugely memorable" category, this one steps things up a notch. It's the sequel to The Rising, but it's much better than that first book. Intense.
Greg
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I thought the ending of The Rising fit the novel very well. The reader know what would happen next, Keene didn't need to write the scene. However, there were many cries of foul, demanding a sequel to a book the author thought was finished. Eventually, this sequel was written, but I don't think it adds much. A few more details, a few more explanations, but nothing new. I don't mean to sound petulant, but City of the Dead is little more than a 300 page epilogue. It ...more
B. Pope
This book is a continuation of Keene's novel The Rising. It has some of the same characters I discussed before like Jim, Frankie and Martin, but adds some new characters to the mix too. And where the first book was a lot like a 28 Days Later, with the people in it running and hiding and even getting mixed up with a fanatical militia group, this one is more a Land of the Dead, with the characters bunkering down in a New York skyscraper.

New characters from the novel include two ex-marines, a billi
Dan C.
City of the Dead is the sequel to Brian Keene's Bram Stoker Award winning novel The Rising. I read The Rising a couple of years back after I picked it up at a used bookstore here in town. I knew that it was a zombie book, but I was hesitant. Zombie fiction is a notoriously tough nut to crack. Most of what little I have bothered to read has been dreadfully boring. Even World War Z didn't really do it for me, which is really saying something. But The Rising, simply put, rocked. It was gory and sca ...more
Rhianna Schoonover
Feb 23, 2010 Rhianna Schoonover rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE
Absolute CRAP. Forced writing, a horrible use of the genre & the reader. Again with the standard, old boring jackbooted military thugs wanting to rape & murder & torture the poor, innocent little survivors who just want to survive. A disturbing look into the distrusting & twisted mind of the author. GARBAGE!!!!! I'm not for book burning, but burning this wouldn't be a loss to humanity! Sadly bought this POS at Naples & found out it was book 2. Had high hopes for it, I love Zo ...more
Glynn James
I read this book without having read The Rising. When I got this I chose it because of a recommendation from a friend, without checking that it was the second in the series!
I'd meant to try something by Keene for a while, and this was his latest when I went looking.

Even though I'd not read the first book, this was enough for me to go out and buy pretty much everything I could get my hands on by this author.
I love that the zombie crisis has a background that isn't your typical out-of-control v
Lisa Sandberg
Great sequel to Brian Keene's, The Rising. I believe I liked this book better.

There were several new characters introduced in this sequel, which I liked very much. While I also enjoyed getting to know the former characters better.

Brian Keene did an excellent job continuing this story.

I was a bit saddened by the ending, but it worked for the conclusion of this series.
Jonathan Echevarria
Everything dies, however not everything has a ending."

It's true that originally Brian Keene had no intentions of continuing his zombie story past The Rising. However those who read the introduction will know how happy he was to work on the sequel once he got started. Any fan of Brian Keene can see the fun he is having with this book, especially with some of the more creative encounters between The Siqqusim and the human survivors. Just like The Rising, City of the Dead is full of dark humor, so
Eden
Jim has found his son, Danny, and he couldn't be happier. But the dead are still out there and the numbers are growing. Martin and Frankie are still with him, along with Don, who is Danny's neighbor.

Together they fight off the dead and find themselves in New York, eventually in a supposedly indestructible tower. They feel safe for now, but for how long?

This is the sequel to The Rising and my review will contain spoilers. If you've read neither book, don't read this review any further.

City of the
Marvin
Note: The following is a critical analysis of The Rising Trilogy which is comprised of three books: The Rising, City of the Dead, and The Rising: Selected Scenes from the End of the World. This analysis will appear on the Goodreads page of each book. There may be some minor spoilers.

---------------

I recently attended the 2014 World Horror Convention in Portland, Oregon. That was an vastly enjoyable event that I could write a huge article about and just might at a later time. The Grand Master was
Kaisersoze
As far as Brian Keene goes, I find this unintended sequel to The Rising to be one of his lesser works. "Unintended" because Keene is well documented in saying it was only the clamouring from his fans combined with the encouragement from his publisher that made him return to the world of Jim, Danny, Frankie, Ob and his Siqqusim. "Lesser" because it shows in the way Keene seems to go through the motions in getting his survivors from his first novel into place inside an impregnable skyscraper while ...more
Luthien
This is the sequel to "the rising", written due to readers demands.
Sometimes I wish writers wouldn't listen to us. The ending of the first book was perfect... (sigh).
Even though Keene does a good job of summarising the first book in the first chapter, they really should be read in order.
Spoilers about the first book ahead...
Jim, Frankie and Martin are survivors in a world infested with zombies. These are not regular zombies, but actually demons who came from an alternate dimension, and now are t
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
Kit★
Really more like a 2.5 Stars. This was picked for me for the Pick-It-For-Me over in Bookworm Buddies. I'd read The Rising awhile back, and while it had given me mixed feelings on whether or not I actually even really liked it, it ended on a big ol' cliffy. That, of course, compelled me to seek out this one, if only to see how it would end. Well... I'm not really sure that I'm glad that I did. On one hand, the author's writing was immensely readable, easy to imagine the scenes. I tore through the ...more
you know that you want my books ;)
Patrick D'Orazio
This is essentially a review of both "The Rising" and "City of the Dead" as I read both books within 2 days after ordering them from Amazon. I had no lag between the ending of the first story and the beginning of the second which allows me to consider them as one work.

This is the first works of Brian Keene that I have picked up and I certainly can say his writing style is amply satisfying and his storyline kept me drawn in from start to finish. While the characters are much more detailed in the
Patrick
Sometimes when I see another zombie novel, I feel like impersonating Christpher Walken's character in the Saturday Night Live Sketch, where Will Ferrill attempts to join the band by clanging on the cowbell for the band, Blue Oyster Cult, "Don't Fear the Reaper."

Except, I would have said, "After Thunder and Ash, Zombie Blonde, The History of the Dead, Patient Zero, Dying to Live, Plague of the Dead, what we really need is....more zombie novels!"

The Rising, The City of the Dead, and Dead Sea, ar
Neil Sinclair
So another Brian Keene book. um.. despite calling he undead zombies - they aren't - one of my biggest peeves with this series. The corpses are demon possessed. zombies in my opinion are not animated by the spirits of evil beings banished by God invading our dimension. Zombies don't sit around and chat, drive HumVee's and use rocket launchers (unless they are re-animated like in "Dead Eyes Open" ) then there is necrophilia, one castration "just because the zombies could" etc etc. near the end of ...more
Emotonal Reads
What kind of ending was that? I am sorry but this was one of the worst novels of this kind I've read. Why did the boy's dad have to die? I really hated that part. That was one heartless ending, in this world that he created couldn't he have given us a little happiness here?

There was an actual woman of color as one of the main leads but she was made to be a prostitute and drug addict. What's up with that? because of that and the depressing way this ended I won't read any more books by this author
Douglas Castagna
Taking place mere moments after the Rising ends this story begins with the reunion we waited for during the whole fist book, and it gets crazy from there. Keene tops the violence, and the gore from the first in this series and piles it on higher and higher until the most ultimate climax I have seen in many a horror book before. Be sure to read the APE so you can get some insight from the author himself.
William Thomas
Although this was light years ahead of The Rising as far as narrative style, and had about half of the cliches, it still only gets three stars. It moved swiftly, nearly never stopped pumping action through it's own veins and took out most of the corny, cheesy garbage from the first book. But at best it was entertaining, and what would be expected of a rushed sequel.
Meghan

Oh dear gawd, how did I accidentally download this audiobook?

At any rate, I'm going to try to avoid a real review of this because I got through maybe 45minutes before I knew it was going to be a serious mismatch for me. And I'm not giving it a star rating so I don't weigh in one way or another.

I'll give space for 'intelligent' zombies (how?? Anyway). I'll give some space for lingering memories or.. something.

But the monologue by the Preacher was the tip-off: this is not a zombie tale. This is a
Eduardo
Great unplanned sequel to The Rising, Keene gets things going pretty fast and doesn't let go until the very end. There isn't a book by him I haven't enjoyed and this wasn't the exception.
Jonathan Echevarria
Sep 29, 2014 Jonathan Echevarria rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love zombies
If you have just stumbled upon this book, I would strongly recommend the City of the Dead: Author's Preferred Edition over this mass market paperback version instead.

City of the Dead  Author's Preferred Edition by Brian Keene

Also if you are looking for the book that comes before this one. (It's a two part story.) Then you should read the uncut The Rising: Author's Preferred Edition. It restores nearly 30,000 words and cleans up the original errors and none of it feels like filler.

The Rising  Author's Preferred Edition by Brian Keene

I am peacefully protesting the mass market paperback versions, because
M.G. Mason
This is the sequel to The Rising which I reviewed just a few days ago. Ending on a knife edge cliffhanger where father hears son scream in a zombie-infested town led to a lot of complaints from fans that it shouldn’t have ended there. Most accepted it but some clambered for years for a sequel that Keene had no intention of writing until he buckled.

This picks up immediately where the last one left off, father and son are reunited (hurrah!) but the threat is only just beginning; the group have to
That70sheidi
Well. I gave a good review to the first one, and I still really love all creatures great and small becoming zombies and human zombies using guns and cars and all that. And I really, really love the ending. I think I'd have liked everything in between a bit more if the audiobook narrator wasn't so breathless and melodramatic every second. On the one hand, the accents and voices for each character were distinctive and well done, but on the other hand it seemed to cheapen the plot.

Danny was infini
  • Monster Planet (Zombies, #3)
  • Eden
  • Dying to Live: Life Sentence (Dying to Live, #2)
  • Dead City (Dead World, #1)
  • Autumn: The City
  • Thunder and Ashes
  • Deathbringer
  • Drop Dead Gorgeous
  • The Mammoth Book of Zombies
  • Infernal Angel (City Infernal, #2)
52050
BRIAN KEENE writes novels, comic books, short fiction, and occasional journalism for money. He is the author of over forty books, mostly in the horror, crime, and dark fantasy genres. His 2003 novel, The Rising, is often credited (along with Robert Kirkman’s The Walking Dead comic and Danny Boyle’s 28 Days Later film) with inspiring pop culture’s current interest in zombies. Keene’s novels have be ...more
More about Brian Keene...
The Rising Dead Sea The Conqueror Worms Ghoul Dark Hollow