Start by marking “El Misterio de Marte” as Want to Read:
El Misterio de Marte

El Misterio de Marte

An asteroid transformed Mars from a lush planet with rivers and oceans into a bleak and icy hell. Is Earth condemned to the same fate, or can we protect ourselves and our planet from extinction?

In his most riveting and revealing book yet, Graham Hancock examines the evidence that the barren Red Planet was once home to a lush environment of flowing rivers, lakes, and oceans
Published August 28th 1999 by Grijalbo (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about El Misterio de Marte, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El Misterio de Marte

Pato
Feb 07, 2008 Pato rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Pato by: Warboner
This is about where I started to figure out that Graham Hancock was full of crap. But this stuff is really good fuel for the imagination.
Rob Bliss
Dec 19, 2013 Rob Bliss rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is terrible.

First, I read the whole thing, mostly by flipping many pages after page 200 (out of 400 pages). You only have to read less than the first 200 pages and you're done the book. But even within that first 200, you're reading a lot of useless boring mathematical facts that Hancock is stuffing into the story to make his theories seem legit, and for filler.

The last 200 pages can be summed up as: there are a lot of comets in the solar system, some of them have hit planets including Ear
Jerome Willner
The authors Robert Bauval and Graham Hancock are noted for their superb work on the Enigmas of Egypt. Here with John Grigsby author of ‘Warriors of the wasteland’; they draw our attention in chilling detail, to the red planet Mars.

Since 1877, scientific interest in the possibility of life on Mars, has led to space programs which have sent craft to photograph the planet and even land there. Channels resembling river tributaries suggest water may once have been in abundance. A curious lowland – hi
Dark-Draco
Nov 11, 2014 Dark-Draco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Ancient civilisations - conspiracy theories - the death of planets - physics - mathematics - what more do you want from a book? I have never read a book by this author before, but have read things that are similar, and I have a guilty secret - I love this branded mix of popular science, wild theories and dire threats for the future.

The book starts off with a discussion about Mars and why it shows tantalising evidence that life once flourished there, but it is now a dead, dusty planet. The discus
Matt Rekuski
Oct 25, 2013 Matt Rekuski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Graham Hancock's The Mars Mystery is a nonfictional book that as titled, is a mystery. Hancock spills out secretive information that is exclusive from scientists and operations in NASA. The textual evidence will make you shiver when you here about what surprises Mars beholds.

Since this book has no story line or characters, Hancock explains the research that scientists have discovered and uncovers what the truth actually is. He starts out by laying down some background information on Mars. After
Alexandria
Sep 18, 2015 Alexandria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
In The Mars Mystery , Graham Hancock seems to express more curiosity about the possible previous life and civilization that may have inhabited Mars than NASA who are currently sending astronauts to the planet. Weird? I thought so too. Hancock uncovers a plethora of information from various scientists about Mars from the fallen Martian pieces to the famous "Face of Mars". Hancock doesn't go down the "ALIENS!" route with this book I initially thought but he does provides evidence there has been s ...more
Jeremy Vaeni
Jan 17, 2014 Jeremy Vaeni rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love Graham Hancock and Robert Bauval, but this was a complete misfire. You can tell that the more recent photos of the "face" on Mars, which showed it to be a trick of light and shadow, had gone public as they were in the middle of writing what would have been a book about that and various other alleged connections between planets and therefore ancient civilizations. Instead, it morphs into a whole other book about the potential for us to be wiped out by an asteroid similar to one that may ha ...more
Mystikalmoomin
Feb 13, 2010 Mystikalmoomin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly phenomenal book. This book has opened my eyes to the possible fate of this planet and has made me think twice about the discoveries made on the surface of Mars. Once again, Graham Hancock has put his excellent research skills to good use and backs up his findings with sound evidence and mathmatical correlations that imply great intelligence behind these structures. I was gripped by this book and simply couldnt put it down. This is the first book i have ever read in three days
Rob
The theory was interesting but since there is no proof the vast majority of the book felt like it was building up to facts it did not have. Instead the author delves into increasingly complex mathematical equations and numerical theory that did not make for a stimulating read. The parts dealing with the potential danger of comets was more interesting. There just wasn’t enough material to warrant an entire book, I lost complete interest two thirds of the way through.
Astrila
Jun 09, 2008 Astrila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: archeo-astronomers
Recommended to Astrila by: found it myself
Shelves: read-non-fiction
I really like Graham Hancock. He's probably the most famous archeo-astronomer, and his documentaries are great, too. This book seems to be reaching at times, but he seems to realize that and just offers his analysis without forcing belief. Very interesting analysis of the Martian pyramids. A must read for archeo-astronomers.
Lois
Jul 08, 2007 Lois rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with half a brain
Shelves: lobagsbooks
I consider this book part of my esoteric collection. I am always searching for meaning, and although this book doesn't provide any spiritual meaning, it does give some good factual information about Mars and the planets. If you are heavily religious you might want to discount this book as it might upset your thinking.
Phil
Mar 05, 2014 Phil rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Graham Hancock wrote some excellent, well researched and insightful books concerning lost civilisations and connections in the ancient world. His arguments were credible and convincing. The Mars Mystery is none of these things. It seems Hancock has joined the 'crack pot' theorists he derided in previous books. Shame.
Ken
This book views Mars as a corpse for astronomers to study. It was once capable of sustaining life, but a massive comet "killed" it, resulting in the dead planet we now see. The rest of the book is a detailed analysis of the comet threat facing the Earth - apparently we're overdue for one - and urges us to take action to watch the skies and put our technology to use to prevent it.
Scott
May 13, 2012 Scott rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book ... well, honestly, I never actually finished it. It seems, the further into it I got, the more fantastical the theories reached. When it started talking about the "Perfect Ratio" (1.6:1) it got a bit too 'new-age-y' for me.
Nick Woodall
I love Graham Hancock, because he forces me to think. I think he is a little far out there on this one though! The conclusion is that there was a civilization on Mars that ultimately came to Earth. Huh?
Timo Walters
I am a typical fan of Graham Hancock and I like that he challenges commonly held theories, but this book was full of rather fanciful connections and wide stretches in logic regarding his own theories. Would highly recommend Fingerprints of the Gods over this.
Bill
Mar 15, 2013 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good
Thomas Sandberg
good start detailed middle interesting final. beware the Gnosticism snuck in there outta left field. definitely not what I thought the book was about.
Courtney Alex
Interesting theory. Book is captivating, if a little unscientific.
Margaret
Jul 02, 2012 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Comets really do hit planets..." Mars het deurgeloop, die Maan ook en meer onlangs Jupiter. Wat laat ons dink dit hou nie 'n dreigende gevaar in vir ons nie?
Darren Worthy
Argued badly, doesn't follow up on their points and just not as fun as some of Graham Hancock's other works.
Megan
Dec 17, 2009 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome! Really interesting if you are into ancient civilizations/questioning the universe :o)
Sharada
Jan 28, 2016 Sharada rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointing, especially coming from Graham Hancock.
Jayjay
Aug 07, 2016 Jayjay rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
absolute rubbish and boring fell asleep numerous times reading this.
Bryan Elkins
Dec 31, 2007 Bryan Elkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh man, once again, the body of evidence is overwhelming, it just took this guy to put it all in one place. Again!
This book scared the shit out of me.
Sharon
Jun 12, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
It's a deeper then usual, more science jargon then usual Hancock speculation of what happened to kill Mars.
Jamie
Sep 22, 2008 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have an uncanny love for Mars.
Amr Hassan
not sure if 2.5/5 or a 3/5, it was an enjoyable book, but it's not scientific to me, at all.
Patty Abrams
Jun 23, 2009 Patty Abrams rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Has Mars ever sustained higher forms of life? wonders an archaeologist
Leonard Clarke
Leonard Clarke rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2011
  • The Sirius Mystery: New Scientific Evidence of Alien Contact 5,000 Years Ago
  • From Atlantis to the Sphinx
  • The Mayan Prophecies: Unlocking the Secrets of a Lost Civilization
  • The Hidden History of the Human Race - The condensed edition of Forbidden Archeology
  • The Atlantis Blueprint: Unlocking the Ancient Mysteries of a Long-lost Civilization
  • The Stargate Conspiracy
  • From the Ashes of Angels: The Forbidden Legacy of a Fallen Race
  • The Lost Realms (Earth Chronicles, #4)
  • The Monuments of Mars: A City on the Edge of Forever
  • Lost Technologies of Ancient Egypt: Advanced Engineering in the Temples of the Pharaohs
  • Forbidden History: Prehistoric Technologies, Extraterrestrial Intervention, and the Suppressed Origins of Civilization
  • Serpent in the Sky: The High Wisdom of Ancient Egypt
  • Gods of Eden
Graham Hancock is a British writer and journalist. His books include Lords of Poverty, The Sign and the Seal, Fingerprints of the Gods, Keeper of Genesis (released in the US as Message of the Sphinx), The Mars Mystery, Heaven's Mirror (with wife Santha Faiia), Underworld: The Mysterious Origins of Civilization, Talisman: Sacred Cities, Secret Faith (with co-author Robert Bauval), Supernatural: Mee ...more
More about Graham Hancock...