Start by marking “The Coast of Summer: Sailing New England Waters from Shelter Island to Cape Cod” as Want to Read:
The Coast of Summer: Sailing New England Waters from Shelter Island to Cape Cod

The Coast of Summer: Sailing New England Waters from Shelter Island to Cape Cod

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The New England coast, a small cruising sloop, warm winds--and Anthony Bailey's seductive storytelling powers. An account of a season afloat and an autobiography of half a lifetime spent sailing New England waters.
Published April 25th 1999 by Sheridan House (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Coast of Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coast of Summer

Julie Barrett
The Coast of Summer
Excited to learn that in this book about sailing the coast of New England that the author also stops at the island my mom and dad lived in the RI area.
Liked hearing of the landmarks one sees from the water as we know them from the landside. Island hopping at its best.
What adventures! Love the tour of all the islands and what makes each special for fresh seafood, people met along the way, seashelling or just day tripping.
I received this book from National Library Service for my
Nst22
Sometimes tedious, sometimes entertaining read about cruising on their sailboat off New England waters.
Peter Peaquin
This is a book that I keep on my shelf and take it down every spring to prepare for the coming summer. As cruising narratives go, this is not a page turner, jumping from one death defying moment to the next, rather it is very well written celebration of the experience of being afloat. This genre is normally populated by adventurers trying to write, but Mr. Bailey represents a writer sharing his adventures.
Suzanne
Since I sail in Buzzard's Bay and Vineyard Sound this memoir of the Bailey's sailing life appealed to me. I know too well the challenges of getting a boat ready for a cruising vacation. I am familiar with many of the ports they visited and enjoyed reading about their experiences. I would recommend it to those who love spending time on the water, particularly in New England.
Sandra
An absolutely delighful book - more so, if you enjoy sailing or any kind of boating. One of the few books on my shelf that I've read over and over.
Kevin A.
The perfect companion for long winter nights, dreaming of sailing the New England coast.
Care
Jun 16, 2009 Care rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Care by: Linda Stresser
menhaden p?, p. 57 - ref to NovaScotia and Lisbon, p 63 vernissages & caiques
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
John
John is currently reading it
Mar 12, 2015
Gabe
Gabe marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Daniel Doyon
Daniel Doyon marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Martin Lewis
Martin Lewis marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Skye
Skye is currently reading it
Feb 25, 2014
M
M marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Amelia JMD
Amelia JMD marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2013
James Snyder
James Snyder marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2013
Eric Komans
Eric Komans marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2013
Anthony Bailey (born 1933) is a British non-fiction writer, and art historian.

He was evacuated to Dayton, Ohio, in 1940 during World War II. For many years he was a writer for the New Yorker magazine.

He lives in Mersea Island, near Colchester, Essex, with his wife Margot. They have four daughters: Liz, Annie, Katie and Rachel.
More about Anthony Bailey...
Vermeer: A View of Delft A Walk Through Wales America Lost and Found: An English Boy's Wartime Adventure in the New World Velázquez and The Surrender of Breda: The Making of a Masterpiece The Outer Banks