Season of the Sun (Viking, #1)

Season of the Sun (Viking Era #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  2,156 ratings  ·  31 reviews
A viking romance IS ALWAYS IN SEASON

First published in 1991, Season of the Sun is the glorious story of a Viking man whose love for one woman is nearly destroyed by her stubborn stepfather.

Zarabeth, with hair as red as an Irish sunset, is chosen by Magnus Haraldsson, a Viking on a trading visit to York, to be his wife. She is both stunned and fascinated by his bluntness,...more
Published July 1st 2002 by Signet (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Season of the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Season of the Sun

ivana18
What a ridiculous book.
This is the second Catherine Coulter book I've picked up and it is the only one of her books I actually managed to finish (just barely).
I honestly don't know how is it possible that this woman is a considered to be a successful romance author.
Her writing style gives me a whiplash. One minute the characters are talking or thinking about one thing, and then all of a sudden, without any warning or subtlety, they change the topic of their conversation/thoughts. The author do...more
Regan Walker
A well-told Viking tale set in the Danelaw (Danish ruled territory of England) and Norway in the late 9th century. Like others of Coulter’s, she doesn’t hold back when it comes to the violence of the times nor the cruelty inflicted on a worthy heroine by a bold alpha male who has his information wrong. I love that about her writing, but some who are looking for a softer story might not. If you can get past that (and I did), the story will hold your attention and I highly recommend it. Coulter’s...more
Noelle
3 1/2 ★★★

Magnus (H) when spurned by the woman he had chosen for a wife he did what any good Viking would do.......he took her for his slave instead.

Zarabeth ( h) ,when she told her stepfather that a Viking wanted her for a wife he didn't react like she thought he would. Instead,wanting her for himself ,he threatened to have her little sister killed if she didn't turn the Viking down.

I think I may have rated this book higher if I had the time to just sit and read it in a few days instead of a few...more
Meg Kinch
Jul 03, 2010 Meg Kinch rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who enjoy dominant alpha males willing to do anything to get what they want.
While I was torn between giving this 2 or 3 stars, I decided to give it three stars. This book is about Zarabeth, a woman who lives with her jealous stepfather and takes care of her little sister Lotti who was deafened as a child due to her father's cruelty. While going to fetch water one day at the center well of Coppergate, Zarabeth is approached by Viking Warrior, Magnus Haroldsson who says that he will wed with her and have her as his own regardless. Once her stepfather found out about this,...more
Hanife
Bu yorum aynı zamanda Romancekolikte yayınlanmıştır.

Kitabı çok severek okudum. Bol entrikalı, sizi meraktan çatlatacak kitaplardan biri. Bir kere oğlumuz Viking! Hikaye yanılmıyorsam 900lerde geçiyor. Konusu ise Magnus tüccarlık yapmak için York limanına demir atmıştır ve şehirde dolaştığında güzeller güzeli Zarabeth'i görüp kapılır. Kadın onun olacaktır. Bu konuda hiç şüphesi yoktur.

Ertesi gün kızı tekrar gördüğünde yanına gider ver adının Magnus Harraldson olduğunu ailesinin Norveç yakınlar
Maureen Feeney
Zarabeth meets and falls for the Viking Magnus Haraldsson, she wants to marry him. Zarabeth has a deaf halfsister Lottie who her stepfather dislikes, he tells zarabeth he will kill Lottie if she does not refuse Magnus, so she does in a brutal way to convince him she does not love him. Zarabeth ends up married to her stepfather Olav The Great, convicted of his murder and sold to Magnus instead of penalty of death. Magnus wants revenge on the woman who played with his feelings a woman he now belie...more
Susan
Viking gets his feelings hurt and throws a hissy fit that doesn't let up. As crappy as Coulter's old-school rape-mances often were, they were tons more credible than her contemporary "thrillers." Those Vikings could be such big babies! Is it any wonder they couldn't stop pillaging?
Rhapsody
May 19, 2007 Rhapsody rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Viking romance readers
Not great. Zarabeth's stepfather forces her to marry him and to snub the Viking who has been courting her and whom she loves, Magnus. When her stepfather dies shortly afterwards, she's framed for murdering him and Magnus basically buys her for his slave, taking her back to his home where he sort of courts her anew while his sister makes her life miserable.

Does Zarabeth even ever explain to Magnus that she was forced to snub him by her stepfather? I read this book a bit impatiently so maybe I mis...more
Becky Mcgill-collins
One of my favorite strong female hero in a male controlled world type of stories. I found it sort of gritty, not too sappy which makes this novel stand out as a favorite. I have re-read it several times, and I know I will again.
Lover of Romance
Zarabeth, lives in York with her step father and her step brother and younger sister. Zarabeth has yet to find a spouse, due to the fact that her step father chases most of her suitors away, until a warrior viking comes into town and starts courting her and wanting to marry her. At first Zarabeth is shocked at Magnus at his bluntness at wanting her for his wife and lover, but is intrigued and knows that she wants him as well, because he stirs up her senses like none other has ever done before. B...more
Sara
This book is very much a product of its times. I'm shocked that '80s and '90s romance novels considered rape scenes to be acceptable, but it is what it is. I enjoyed reading about Vikings and I suppose that stuff is all a part of the package. I loved the children in this book, Lotti and Egill were what bumped this one up from 2 to 3 stars.
Ana
– Season of the Sun is the first Viking romance I ever read and I immediately fell in love with the genre. Coulter is talented author who pays attention to historical detail without losing sight of character development and the romance plot line. Magnus is as bold and brash as one would imagine a Viking male would be while Zarabeth comes off a little too naive at times though this doesn’t detract from her charm. This novel is a great read for those who enjoy the grittier romances. ~ Cerise, www....more
Deb
Good

Entertaining, that's it... Not a top favorite of Coulter's work.
it good to read for a rainy day. Nothing more.
Jen
Rape....raperaperape. Not cool.
Tina
What I remember most about this book was the besotted hero. He was so obsessive with the heroine, it was endearing. I mean the guy was psycho infatuated. He was a caveman, dragging her off to his cave by her long, red hair, and of course, cavemen don't understand what NO means....

It was all so entertaining...
Nadine Jones
Jun 20, 2012 Nadine Jones marked it as did-not-finish
My first viking romance!

so far this book SUCKS! LOL! I may not get very far ... it's very expositiony, and feels dated (I know, that's an odd thing to say about a historical, but if you read them, you know what I mean).

This book still sucks. I only manage a few pages a night because I keep falling asleep!!
Maddie
I read this back when this was new and I loved it! This is a Viking Bodice Ripper and this story had just about everything I need, danger, fear, violence and a dominant Alpha. Come on, the past was just such a place. This is probably not for those 'faint of heart' and into Big Time PC.
Marianne
Why, oh, why did Anne Flosnik have to narrate this audiobook? Her voice drives me mad. It's so distracting :( I really think I lose a little bit of my sanity every time I listen to one of her performances.
Kaza
Catherine Coulter books never seem to appeal to me. I thought this one might be the exception and while I did enjoy it more than others I have read, it was not a great read.
PNR
Uhhhhh..... this made no sense. I seriously did not understand the heroine at all. Not romantic, just sad.
Holly Will
Another trashy novel, but this was set during the Viking Era, so I liked it the same.
Lesli
Good not great. Fairly typical historical romance.
Sarah Dane
Read it while I was on break. Good read :)
Kiddi
WOW! is all i can say to this story.
Egoyibo Okoro
True to form, Catherine. Nice read!
Lisa
I ENJOYED THIS BOOK.
BJ Rose
Vikings - Zarabeth & Magnus
Krista
This book had me running through a handful of emotions.
Faye
Sep 11, 2011 Faye added it
TBR
Bodice Ripper Rea...: Coulter's Viking Series 6 31 May 23, 2012 04:20PM
  • Golden Surrender (Viking, #1)
  • Viking!
  • The Conqueror
  • Embrace and Conquer
  • My Lord Conqueror
  • Hearts Aflame (Haardrad Viking Family, #2)
  • Viking's Prize
  • Swan Road
  • Untamed (Medieval, #1)
  • The Taming (Peregrine, #1)
  • Uncommon Vows
  • Keeper of the Dream
  • The Dragon and the Jewel (Medieval Plantagenet #2)
  • The Ground She Walks Upon
  • The Panther and the Pearl
  • Desert Hostage
The Cove (FBI Thriller, #1) The Maze (FBI Thriller, #2) Split Second (FBI Thriller, #15) Point Blank (FBI Thriller #10) Eleventh Hour (FBI Thriller, #7)